Spoiler One Piece Chapter 1098 Spoilers Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KonyaruIchi

👑𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓟𝓲𝓻𝓪𝓽𝓮 𝓠𝓾𝓮𝓮𝓷👑
Idk what to tell you, rape is definitely more taboo. There’s a reason why writers are okay with showing on screen deaths, slaves and what not but are iffy about showing full blown rape or insinuation of it.

it’s a reflection of the culture. If you were to round up a bunch of people and asked them “would you rather get a. Killed b. Torture or C. Raped” option C will have the least votes
I mean, yes and no, you're kind of doing a conjecture here, you can't know for sure (and I don't think polling that here would be appropriate just to verify either lol). I agree it's absolutely messed up, but I'm not sure I agree that it goes beyond what we've seen of the behaviour of CDs, that said I agree it's definitely far less accepted as a topic in stories in general culture due to how taboo it is :kayneshrug:

K!NG HARA$H!MA

Hustlerversity Graduate
In hindsight it's weird they even call them "wives" at all. Do they not marry between CDs? Are CD females alright with their partners having 10+ humans sharing the "wife" title?
It's basically the same dynamic with Queens letting Kings have their concubines
Heck, CDs women probably have many men for themselves

I mean, yes and no, you're kind of doing a conjecture here, you can't know for sure (and I don't think polling that here would be appropriate just to verify either lol). I agree it's absolutely messed up, but I'm not sure I agree that it goes beyond what we've seen of the behaviour of CDs, that said I agree it's definitely far less accepted as a topic in stories in general culture due to how taboo it is :kayneshrug:
I didn't read what you said but am going to reply with YES because of your signature.

Yes, it is. Rape does serious damage to women mentally and physically. There is a reason why many rape victims suffer chronic depression, anxiety, PTSD, alcoholism, drug abuse, unable to form healthy sexual relationships, and/or distrust of men. It is just as bad as all the things you mention, and the fact that you don't understand that says something about you.
I'd question it being just as bad as genocide or war based simply on the number of affected individuals in each... and on war always involving rape anyway.

But I don't think anyone questions just how bad rape is. Any decent person knows it's terrible. The thing is, quoting your post, "it's just as bad as all the things you mention", so why is it less acceptable in a work of fiction? As long as it's not the good guys committing it and it's not explicitly shown, just implied.

The real "feminist criticism" that can be made to Oda is that he made Ginny a "woman in the refrigerator". (The famous thrope where a female character gets hurt or killed only to move the plot of a male character). But,lets face it,its not the first time he does this and it wont probably be the last time.
So Arlong was the "woman in the refrigerator" for Nami
So Ace was the "woman in the refrigerator" for Luffy

Ok

This chapter does deflate some of my fanboyishness for OP, because it really does bother me that Oda pushed our faces in the CDs crimes this hard. We already knew they had slaves, the Hancock sisters were proof of rape, and the genocides had already pushed them over the line. But this NTR/rape plotline being so front and center really does clash with the usual low-sex drive OP we're used to.

I trust Oda yeah, but rape is a hard topic to tackle in stories. There are so many ways I can come out of this chapter thinking Oda's creepy or disappointed in his handling of the subject. Not to be that guy, but Oda's IRL relations do legitimately worry me that he might handle this poorly going forward.

I mean I even find myself being cynical about reasonable decisions like rejecting Ginny's advances. I mean if they were going to join the revs anyways, why stop him from giving her a decent night before Oda threw her character into a 2 year rape nightmare.

Truly one of that chapter which is memorial and unique , without any power scaling , not worth any lore, world building, or any character hype moment.....
Worstgen has finally a spoiler thread nothing to talk about power lvl, who would have thought.
Oda dive little bit too deep, fandom uniting one another into shitting the chapter(and Dragon)

Imagine if all these is just assumption and nothing serious happen between Ginny and the CD's
Oda with his usual bait again to fk his readers mind
As it was said to be looking like a rough drawing chaptere
It seems he doesn't put much effort either while drawing this chap

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.