One Piece Chapter 1098: "Bonney's birth"

Rate the Chapter

• Total voters
So Kuma probably became a Warlord to become a legit King of Sorbet kingdom and Bonney got healed by eating her devil fruit most likely.Nice to see where she got the "Jewelry" nickname from.Good chapter.Oda needs a break,man.Same of these drawings looked like unfinished.

@Sir Yasheen

According to Vegapunk Kuma choose to die

But Bonney also hints at Saturn being the one who gave that order.

So while you're probably right that Vegapunk cured Bonney's disease, I think I lean towards Kuma transferring it on himself. Kuma was dying, and agreed to turn himself into a robot after Saturn gave the order. Maybe because Saturn promised Kuma and Vegapunk to not go after Bonney(which they kinda did honor)

Kuma straight up might be the best written character in the series. Everything from his power to his motivations across like 600 chapters all are starting to make sense, and it all is connected in such a cohesive way.

The only true thing left to explain is why he directly sacrificed himself, because its obvious Bonney is cured before he leaves her
The warlords really are odas peak of writing. I’m happy that the final saga is heavily including them.

Oda really struggled hard to draw this chapter. I guess the eye surgery took a stronger toll than expected on him.
Just is poor timing. I dont think he struggled, he just couldnt finish the manuscript on time. There could be any number of factors that prevented him from not being able to work on the chapter but to keep on schedule with the next chapter.

If we start getting consistent unfinished manuscripts and need to wait for volumes for completed chapters, then Id say that is concerning. But tbh a one off atm is fine.

@Etzel Andergast

Blackbeard's flag

Kuma's church

Phases of the moon
This symbol appears only with joyboy/dawn pirates ancient allies:

- Alabasta = Lily (spread the poneglyphs and she was a D)
- Kozuki = the clan forged the poneglyphs and hid pluton
- Fishman Island = the promise to Poseidon
- Shandorarians = left eye of Jaya
- Buccaneers church

I'm betting my avi, that
Vegapunk had cured for Bonney
Chapter 1099 will be named "Sun God Nika"
- The chapter will cover the remaining 6 years of the flashback
- King Becori burns the houses of Sobert Kingdom
- Kuma gets really furious and he decimates the kingdom by himself
- Kuma is made the king of Sorbet Kingdom and is known as the tyrant king
- 4 years later (story before the timeskip), Kuma is made a Warlord of the sea
- Bonney is 10 years old and she falls really sick and is about to die
- Bonney tells Kuma "dad, I'm 10 years old now, I should get better soon" (she thought that she would heal at 10 years old)
- Kuma takes Bonney's pain but it is not enough, Bonney is still sick
- Kuma tells Bonney "don't worry, you will soon be able to get under the sun thanks to the sun god Nika"
- Kuma goes to see Vegapunk and begs him to find a solution for Bonney
- Vegapunk tells him that he can't do anything for her
- Kuma decides to take Bonney's sapphire scale with the paw paw fruit
- The sapphire scale is transferred from Bonney to Kuma, Bonney is healed, Kuma had to take the sapphire scale or it would have returned to its origin
- However, it is now Kuma who falls sick, we see him have pain because of the sapphire scale but he stays alive thanks to his Buccaneer race
- Kuma is yet happy because Bonney is now healed and she looks very happy, like when Luffy was happy after Zoro took his pain
- However, Kuma is dying now and there is no going back after this
- Dying Kuma goes to see Vegapunk and asks him to convert him into a robot that will be controlled in distance thanks to an antenna
- Kuma asks Vegapunk to save his soul somewhere safe so he can experience Nika coming back
- Kuma takes his soul with the paw paw fruit and thanks to Vegapunk, it is transferred into the ancient robot that is sitting on Egghead
- We then move on to when the ancient robot heard the drums of liberation from Nika, it was Kuma who was reacting to them and we see the ancient robot do the Nika dance
- Then we go back to the present
- In an impressive double spread, we see Nika appear back and save Bonney from Saturn

Last edited:
This Kuma backstory is just too sad. I initially thought that Kuma will cure Bonney by taking the pain hence becoming a cyborg for the trade-off, but then came so many factors as shichibukai position, Bekori raiding the village, etc, Oda gave lots of plot twists in Kuma's.

Rocks D. Brook for cover page lol, just kidding

Kuma straight up might be the best written character in the series. Everything from his power to his motivations across like 600 chapters all are starting to make sense, and it all is connected in such a cohesive way.

The only true thing left to explain is why he directly sacrificed himself, because its obvious Bonney is cured before he leaves her
Kuma's sacrifice was not turning into a robot

Kuma's sacrifice was taking Bonney's sapphire scale with the paw paw fruit

Because of this sacrifice, Kuma was dying and since he knew he was dying either way, he decided to accept to be turned into a cyborg for the world government and have his soul be transferred somewhere else: the ancient robot of Egghead

Chapter 1098 will be named "Sun God Nika"
- The chapter will cover the remaining 6 years of the flashback
- King Becori burns the houses of Sobert Kingdom
- Kuma gets really furious and he decimates the kingdom by himself
- Kuma is made the king of Sorbet Kingdom and is known as the tyrant king
- 4 years later (story before the timeskip), Kuma is made a Warlord of the sea
- Bonney is 10 years old and she falls really sick and is about to die
- Bonney tells Kuma "dad, I'm 10 years old now, I should get better soon" (she thought that she would heal at 10 years old)
- Kuma takes Bonney's pain but it is not enough, Bonney is still sick
- Kuma tells Bonney "don't worry, you will soon be able to get under the sun thanks to the sun god Nika"
- Kuma goes to see Vegapunk and begs him to find a solution for Bonney
- Vegapunk tells him that he can't do anything for her
- Kuma decides to take Bonney's sapphire scale with the paw paw fruit
- The sapphire scale is transferred from Bonney to Kuma, Bonney is healed, Kuma had to take the sapphire scale or it would have returned to its origin
- However, it is now Kuma who falls sick, we see him have pain because of the sapphire scale but he stays alive thanks to his Buccaneer race
- Kuma is yet happy because Bonney is now healed and she looks very happy, like when Luffy was happy after Zoro took his pain
- However, Kuma is dying now and there is no going back after this
- Dying Kuma goes to see Vegapunk and asks him to convert him into a robot that will be controlled in distance thanks to an antenna
- Kuma asks Vegapunk to save his soul somewhere safe so he can experience Nika coming back
- Vegapunk transfers his soul into the ancient robot that is sitting on Egghead
- We then move on to when the ancient robot heard the drums of liberation from Nika, it was Kuma who was reacting to them and we see the ancient robot do the Nika dance
- Then we go back to the present
- In an impressive double spread, we see Nika appear back and save Bonney from Saturn
Vegapunk curing her is very likely too.

As the story progress are we really supposed to believe that dragon and co could overthrow the WG? Because that narrative without Luffy looks impossible
WG has 11 admiral/yonko level top-tiers at its disposal, and that's excluding Sengoku, Kong, the 2 admiral draft candidates and Garling's men. Lmao.