Character Discussion Overall Did Marco meet expectations?

Thoughts?

• Total voters
He is not bad, but wasn’t that impressive. Yeah, he briefly was capable of handling two YCs yet neither received much damage, his stamina is disappointing and haki was not worth noting.

PG’s Thoughts: recent anime episode made me think to myself, β€œ damn we probably never gonna see bro be prominent again”. So let’s reflect on Marco Today. Overall for me personally I lowkey wish he got an actual 1v1 fight to get the full display of what he could do but the little we saw was Great tbh. Marineford and Wano really did a great job establishing what his character is all about.

No, losing to King offscreen sucks.

Disappointed, but I had too high expectations. I thought he's more than just a first commander. Turns out he's the weakest of the OG first commanders, at least imo.

The argument that he survived war after war doesn't help either. By that logic he should be a Top Tier now if he bloomed after every loss.
He peaked long ago and I don't see him getting stronger.

Don't see him beating either Kata or King.
This.

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
β€Žβ€Žβ€Ž
No but I don't hold it against him. Marco's role in Wano was to essentially keep the BMP's out and to occupy King until Zoro was ready for him. It's a shame that Oda didn't have any significant plan for Marco, but he did enough that I'm not underwhelmed, rather a little disappointed.

But Marco's coming back, he got a plot hook in rescuing Weevil, his captain's actual son. So his moment's still coming.

I'd also be surprised if he didn't participate in Blackbeard's arc in some way, either.

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
β€Žβ€Žβ€Ž
in a 1v1 bro got wrecked by King
To be fair, Marco;

• Gave up some stamina to hold off the Ice Oni plague
  • Distracted Queen & King for an ambiguous period of time
  • Then had to fight King solo for 25+ minutes
Zoro got a full restore from the Minks and was getting gassed from 5 minutes of combat with King.

Mostly yes. Outside of the rare sort that falsely rated him Admiral level, over the years, Marco and consequently the rest of the Whitebeard Pirates have been constantly underestimated and downplayed time and time again. They still are, for the most part. People used to actually say that WBP's having 16 commanders meant that their top guys were much weaker than the other Yonko's. And the matter of Marco's AP. Back in Dressrosa some would say Marco is weaker than G2 Luffy and would lose to him.

Their recent showings has done a lot to boost the WB pirates. No-one can rate Ace as a Snack level anymore. Izo who was nothing special in Marineford, vastly over performed expectations in Wano against CP0 and he isn't even one of WB's top 5. Though some still downplay the feat, nerfed and handicapped Marco holding back King and Queen is a huge feat in his favor. At the very least, he's proved on panel he isn't just all regen.

Except King didn't beat Marco. Marco ran out of stamina. Then he still came back and stopped King from killing Zoro, and when King and Queen were about to attack him together to finish him off, Marco raised his hands and said he was done, because it was time for the stars to take the stage. That's when Zoro and Sanji attacked King and Queen, and Marco went and did his own thing, still not defeated.
No
Marco got destroyed

He barely had life left in him to stop King from one casual attack

If King used even 10% of what he used on Zoro..Marco would have met his late adopted father

Marco simply doesn't have anything that is overwhelmingly strong, against King and Queen he probably used his best offensive skills ever. Flame on King felt their impact arguably better than most of Zoro's attacks prior to CoC coating, and Queen mentioned he could hurt through the insides even in Zoan Form (Ryou)

He is more like a support with great defensive skills and speed, but he is very respected by many other strong characters.

No
Marco got destroyed

He barely had life left in him to stop King from one casual attack

If King used even 10% of what he used on Zoro..Marco would have met his late adopted father
That's bs. We were straight up told that Marco using his abilities on others wears him out, which he was doing for a long time to stop Queens Oni Virus. Then he was fighting against tons of fodders, and then both King and Queen, and then King by himself. You guys love to ignore this, and act like Marco was fresh going into a 1 v 1 with King.

Disappointed, but I had too high expectations. I thought he's more than just a first commander. Turns out he's the weakest of the OG first commanders, at least imo.

The argument that he survived war after war doesn't help either. By that logic he should be a Top Tier now if he bloomed after every loss.
He peaked long ago and I don't see him getting stronger.

Don't see him beating either Kata or King.

Still have him above Katakuri.
Marco has insane regen, and decent defense. Not to mention great speed. Katakuri literally only has good precog and an Awakening.