Controversial What the hell happened to the art in the manga? (Chapter 1118 and beyond)

It's crazy because usually the drawing of a manga gets better and better.
For One Piece its been a downgrade and a trully tremendous one. Now sometimes it gets hard to even understand what is going on on the panels.
I might be swearing in church but I looked in to Jujutsu Kaisen (JJK) to see what all the fuss was about. Read 2-3 recent chapters. I dont follow the plot obviously but what really put me off is the terrible drawings, terriner character designs and how it is impossile to even understand what is going on in the panels. The popularity of that series is beyond me judging by the above.

It's crazy because usually the drawing of a manga gets better and better.
For One Piece its been a downgrade and a trully tremendous one. Now sometimes it gets hard to even understand what is going on on the panels.
It's always funny to me how people unfamiliar with One Piece are often put off by the "goofy" art style. I personally think old One Piece art is incredibly appealing, whereas current One Piece looks downright ugly in some places.

I might be swearing in church but I looked in to Jujutsu Kaisen (JJK) to see what all the fuss was about. Read 2-3 recent chapters. I dont follow the plot obviously but what really put me off is the terrible drawings, terriner character designs and how it is impossile to even understand what is going on in the panels. The popularity of that series is beyond me judging by the above.
Oh yea i couldnt managed to go past the second chapter of JJK for same reason (well also another reason is that imo the story is too similiar to Bleach and I really dont need to read another Bleach also of inferior level. And also Gojo is Kakashi). Same goes for another series that the story was very appealing to me but the drawings were at such a low level that It could aswell be made by a 6 yo kid being Chainsawman.
We are talking about comics so the drawings are as important as the story.
Nowadays i follow One Piece mostly for its story, the drawings unfortunately are no longer appealing.
Post automatically merged:

it doesnt
look at jjk
Well i didnt ready much of jjk but look at Bleach or Berserk, or even Naruto, or any webtoon you can find online since i mostly read those now. All these stories started by authors in their youth improve their drawing level as they work.
Oda was already incredible talented at 20 yo, his style was already perfect. It changed for the worse unfortunately.
It's always funny to me how people unfamiliar with One Piece are often put off by the "goofy" art style. I personally think old One Piece art is incredibly appealing, whereas current One Piece looks downright ugly in some places.
The old art was CLEAN, simple but incredibly clean.

Last edited:
Some faces be looking like they were generated by cheap AI.
Looks upscaled tbh. Let's wait for the official release.
Post automatically merged:

Old One Piece art is amazing and doesn't give me eye cancer unlike new One Piece.
I loved the clear solid lines

It’s not exactly rocket science, it’s getting worse because

Oda is getting older (eye sight getting worse and needing surgery to try to correct).

He’s clearly struggling to do a 17 page chapters in the three week break timescale from the last few years (these 13 odd page chapters are recent, the one with the unfinished art has never happened before)

He feels he needs to cram in more panels in a page to try and get more into a chapter

The point about most art in manga including with time. Firstly, not especially true. Secondly, not taking into account the length of One Piece and that it did improve for years before a more recent decline.

It’s not exactly rocket science, it’s getting worse because

Oda is getting older (eye sight getting worse and needing surgery to try to correct).

He’s clearly struggling to do a 17 page chapters in the three week break timescale from the last few years (these 13 odd page chapters are recent, the one with the unfinished art has never happened before)

He feels he needs to cram in more panels in a page to try and get more into a chapter

The point about most art in manga including with time. Firstly, not especially true. Secondly, not taking into account the length of One Piece and that it did improve for years before a more recent decline.
Yet people still want him to take years to finish One Piece
They still praising him for dragging the arc

Oda is older and has health issues,
He needs to start revealing things and letting his assistants draw more than before

Yet people still want him to take years to finish One Piece
They still praising him for dragging the arc

Oda is older and has health issues,
He needs to start revealing things and letting his assistants draw more than before
Exactly. And based on some of the recent chapters, his assistants seem to be drawing a lot more now, with Oda only apparently drawing characters and certain effects like water and fire. And its getting to the point where you can now easily tell apart what Oda drew from what his assistants drew not just because of the shift in quality but because of the white outlines.

At this point, he should really consider only drawing a rough draft of the chapter then have the assistant whose style most resembles his own during his best years actually handle the finalized drawings of the characters. Considering his declining health and the frequent breaks, it would be best for him to do just that.