Character Discussion Why aren’t One Piece villains as iconic and memorable as Naruto/DBZ villains?

No One Piece villain, except maybe Doflamingo, has the aura of villains like Frieza, Cell, Super Buu, Pain, Itachi, Obito (pre-reveal), or Madara. I’d even argue that more minor villains like Sasori have more aura than many arc villains in OP tbh.

I think a large part of it is that OP villains usually don’t have as much of a backstory, so they end up feeling like generic baddies who are just there to be an obstacle for Luffy. I mean ffs, even Sasori, who only fought Sakura and Chiyo for a few chapters before being written out of the story, had a longer and better backstory than Kaido…

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
Oda downplays his villains all the time, it makes them more believable and honestly better written in many ways, but because of this their reach outside of One Piece becomes limited.

Most iconic villains had this unbeatable aura at some point, no One Piece villain has ever had that and was able to sustain that past an introduction.

No DBZ or OP villain has this;

No One Piece villain, except maybe Doflamingo, has the aura of villains like Frieza, Cell, Super Buu, Pain, Itachi, Obito (pre-reveal), or Madara. I’d even argue that more minor villains like Sasori have more aura than many arc villains in OP tbh.

I think a large part of it is that OP villains usually don’t have as much of a backstory, so they end up feeling like generic baddies who are just there to be an obstacle for Luffy. I mean ffs, even Sasori, who only fought Sakura and Chiyo for a few chapters before being written out of the story, had a longer and better backstory than Kaido…
There is nothing special about classic stoic shallow villain characters like Madara, Itachi lmao. Those clowns can only scare low IQ little morons like ZKKclowns.

Doflamingo is a small version of BB, Dof learns from what Teach does.

Crocodile

Oda downplays his villains all the time, it makes them more believable and honestly better written in many ways, but because of this their reach outside of One Piece becomes limited.
This is a very good point.

Evil is memorable.

Oda almost rarely writes monsters, but humans, Villain with desire and flaws. So those villains will - by defaut - have less impact than those who are fighting them (Strawhats).

But this raises a great question : To what do we recognize a good villain ?

BB doesn’t get to be placed on the same tier as Frieza/Pain because he had one cool speech.
Frieza not bad but still Teach is more iconic.

All NT villains are dog shit LMAO, Pain is a weakling who gave up and changed his goal after seeing Naruto's potential. Tobi gave up as well, another weakling, Madara is a shallow stoic character.

Because none of them is actually threatening or has something unique about them. Doflamingo is the only one you can make arguments for.

As far as the ones you listed: I wouldn't actually call many of them "iconic".

Memorable, yes, but that's simply due to DBZs and Naruto's massive audience in the west. Only because many people that aren't even anime watchers know those characters doesn't make them "iconic" imho, just "memorable".

The only truly "iconic" ones from your list (at least in my opinion) are Frieza and Madara Uchiha.

If I think of truly "iconic" manga antagonists I think of Griffith, Johan Liebert, Meruem etc.