Chapter Discussion One Piece Chapter 986: My Name

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
- I don’t know if it’s the Canadian blood in me, but I’ve always adored scenes in snowy environments. It was somber, yet weirdly romantic, to see the Scabbards mourning killing the traitor among them amid the snow. Kanjuro’s death itself was way too abrupt for my taste though. He was interesting as a menacing unapologetic psychotic villain presence. It sure looks like he’s dead for good, but we’ve been down that road way too many times, so we’ll wait and see on that one.

- Oda’s perspective shots have become brilliant compared to his older art. It’d be intriguing to see Kaido submerged, and explain surviving.
I believe that needs to be addressed since he must’ve tried suicide by drowning. Oden said if he fails to kill Kaido, it’ll be a long time before he’s defeated, I hope we get the secret behind his “immortality”

- After 985, I said I’d have liked to see Orochi’s men show Samurai pride and oppose Kaido. Thinking about it in the context of 986, they had already discarded their Samurai pride eons ago when deciding to follow the most un-Samurai Samurai ever. The question of what makes vassals truly loyal to their lord has been addressed throughout, but seeing the parallel between the Scabbards carrying Oden’s words 20 years into the future vs Orochi’s men being indifferent to his “death” was quite an eye opening parallel.

- Speaking of parallels, Momo and Yamato are still searching for their own identity outside of their fathers’ shadows. Momo being unfit yet desiring to become Shogun. Yamato being fit to become Shogun but preferring to explore the sea instead. She seemed to have held some faint hope of Kaido still caring for her, but nope. Handcuffs go boooooom! :kaimoji:

- The old Wano isn’t dead just yet. SUNATCHI MOTHERFUCKER! :pagemoji: Kaido knows the weight of Oden’s words, to the extent he's still living rent free in his head :doffytroll:

- Traditional battle cry to signal the war’s start is thematic justice. There’s nothing wrong with sticking to tradition, but in the form of isolationism, it’s self defeating. Outside assistance can go a long way. Luffy, as usual, instinctively recognizes the heart of the problem. That’s probably one of Joy Boy’s inerited traits as well.
The locals will start it but the outsiders will finish it. That’s why you see the big players like Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, Kid, Law, etc... staying behind for the moment.

- Toei are going to extend these 4 panels into 10 minutes of colorful aura orgasms, and I’ll be there for it :yasu::yasu:

- Who’s Who’s swag is effortless. The dude is getting to Ulti and Pay Pay's level for me without having to do anything.

- I don’t remember Izo looking this raw before, the swiftness when he disarmed King :steef:

The Scabbards are super strong, but I have a feeling this’ll be next chapter :vistalaugh:

Last edited:
If Kanjuro is actually dead (which I don't really think is the case), I can certainly think of the possibility of someone eating his devil fruit during the war, even a Straw Hat maybe. The fruit is quite useful. But do we have a good artist present? :sus:

9/10 for me though.
I was thinking of the possibility of Kaido eating Orochi's Devil Fruit. Maybe he is like Blackbeard, can't be killed.

Then he can become the true Yamata no Orochi and combine his mythical dragon with Orochi's

One very little fun fact:

Luffy calls Yamato "Yama-O" after the explosion, which is him trying to respect her wish of being treated like Oden (as a male). He does the same to Law for example ("Tra-O"), it's something you address males with.

Yamato immediately corrects him and tells him "It's Ya-Ma-To!", basically telling him that she doesn't want to be treated like a male anymore.

No surprise that Kanjuro lost, given what he was up against. It will be a surprise if that's him out for the rest of the arc, though.

There was mention back at the start of Act Three of the people of Wano wondering what that big decoration was, wasn't there? Kaido's probably left a bomb there.

With Hotei now introduced properly and not just background fodder, he looks like the type of guy that could maybe get a small fight with a less important character. Some of the other Wano natives don't look too pleased at having to join up with Kaido, I'm expecting some turnaround to the Alliance side.

I imagine there's people shitting themselves at the Zoro/Kid/Law panelling. Even fucking Usopp is stepping up to the plate and planning to attack. Sure, it's because he thinks he's invincible, but still.

Momo's growing on me, despite being a little shit.

What a way to start the war though. Both the doublespreads this chapter were great, but that last one, damn. Sure, the Scabbards are going to fail, but that was an awesome way for them to land the opening attack.

I don't think I've enjoyed a set of One Piece chapters so much in years as I have Act Three.

One very little fun fact:

Luffy calls Yamato "Yama-O" after the explosion, which is him trying to respect her wish of being treated like Oden (as a male). He does the same to Law for example ("Tra-O"), it's something you address males with.

Yamato immediately corrects him and tells him "It's Ya-Ma-To!", basically telling him that she doesn't want to be treated like a male anymore.
French translation had it as "Yamabro" which is what I assume VIZ will use.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
Don't really like Yamato saying that she doesn't consider Kaido her father anymore, this sentence was childish and a bit bullshit
Why? Kaido was serious about killing them if they left Onigashima. Disowning your father because they tried to kill you is understandable. I don't see how it's at all childish, let alone bullshit.

Last edited:

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
Man, you guys are on some next level of crack.

Kiku made a big speech about his death and his soul in the afterlife last chapter. We saw a flashback of all the Scabbards with Oden when they were young. They were crying over it and Kinemon walks over to put his hat on him while walking away.

This is the biggest arc in One Piece. People are going to die. Moreso than Marineford.
Thematically, you're right. But we've been down this road way too many times to just believe someone just dies like that in OP lol

So the editor cried because of chapter 987?
Looking through all the translations that last moment is great.

"Throw away your names. Throw away all you know. Put all your lives in line just for this one attack."

It seems even Kaido is suggesting this attack will hurt him.

Thematically, you're right. But we've been down this road way too many times to just believe someone just dies like that in OP lol
Bro. This is the biggest arc in One Piece. Deaths are gonna happen. People die in major arcs.

Pedro just died out of nowhere. His death was literally the last 2-3 pages with no prior hints.

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
Why? Kaido was serious about killing her if she left Onigashima. Disowning your father because they tried to kill you is understandable. I don't see how it's at all childish, let alone bullshit.
After years of abuse, after being handcuffed, chased etc, just before the final assault and just after meeting Luffy Yamato said that she doesn't consider Kaido her father anymore in a comical way, I don't know but this whole moment rubbed me the wrong way : nothing real or deep in this moment and it feels really convienient that its happen just now and just because of the explosives handcuffs.

N

NeutralWatcher

Nice chapter.

The power scaling makes sense except Zoro and Kidd part.

I think Zoro and Kidd should be able to finish off those gifters and waiters no problem since they have haki and each of them can 1 shot pacifista.

Pre TS Luffy did better against way larger enemies in Enies Lobby. I think Oda wants to make this manga more realistic but it doesn't make sense with Zoro and Kidd part.

Lola and Chiffon deserve some punishment. Pound sacrificed his life to save Chiffon but Chiffon forget him. She should at least saw Pound who saved her. Even Pez felt some connection toward Pound in WCI.

So Kanjuro and Orochi really die. So who would get Kanjuro and Orochi's df next. Usopp is a good candidate to get Kanjuro's df and Yamato since she might become a shogun could get Orochi's df but seeing her with 8 heads is weird.

I understand Oniwabanshu choose to serve Orochi since ninja is not loyal but serve whoever hires them but for Mimawarigumi to choose serving Kaido who kills Orochi their master, Mimawarigumi leader, Hotei is damn shame for samurai.

Hotei might fight Okiku while Fukurojuku might fight Raizo. My headcannon says Okiku might be bsed on Okita Souji. Okita sword name was Kiku Ichimonji so the name contains Kiku which refers to Okiku and Okita was also known to be handsome just like Okiku.

Nami and Carrot are useless as usual. Lose to random homies wtf. I doubt she has 1 on 1 fight in this arc. She might team up with Carrot to defeat Flying Six or other enemies.

I think this is a moment of Momonosuke's development. WOuld he choose death to save his own life or tell Kaido his own name to sae his own honour ad choose death. Turn out Momonosuke choose to tell his own name to Kaido is a good development from Momonosuke.

Looks like Ulti and Who'sWho might team up or fight each other. Page One is not seen anywhere. Oda might save him for someone else. Killer is also not seen with Kidd and Killer.

Lmao Yamato calls her father bull gorilla. Looks like she cries because Kaido really want to kill her.

Nice action from Izo and co. Looks like calamities are close in power. Izo shoot King's sword off of King is a good sign that sniper might have future in future arc. Hype for Usopp and Benn Beckman. Nekomamushi also knocks Kaido's club off of Kaido with his left mechanical arm is dope to see. Looks like that mechanical arm increases his strength.

lol at Kaido gets PTSD from Kinemon and Denjiro. Kawamatsu blocks King while Inuarashi block Jack and Queen. Oda goes all out to portray scabbards full power.

Why you bringing up Sanji?
I didn't even mention the guy :gokulaugh:

Same thing as the rest of the alliance, following the plan and infiltrating the Kaido's forces without causing a commotion and ruining 20year set out plan and then getting beat up by some fodder
:brootea:
Yeah you mean being useless as usual and going after hookers ? That's what you call following the plan ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.