Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MD Zolo

Can someone with a little more Japanese experience tell if the "striped cape" person in Chapter 982 is speaking with a "Wano" dialect here?

At first I thought so but I wanted to make sure. If it is in Wano's dialect, then it very likely isn't Shiki/Scopper/etc, but a Wano native, someone like Shimotsuki Kozaburo. Not to mention, Neko just magically fashioned an arm gun after this? Who made it for him? Kozaburo was a swordsmith but IMO would be the best chance of forging a weapon for him if anything.
The Kanji is almost unreadable for a newbie like me but I think it is written:

よく動いだなマルコ (Yoku ugoidana Marco)

But I could be horribly wrong.

M

MD Zolo

Well...I am going to bed. Since I don't read fan translation, I am gonna read the spoilers when it becomes available (and when I wake up).

Its a pretty early kanji you learn (to move or ugoku/動く)

the sentence to me doesn't sound out of the ordinary, just Odas slang, so maybe it doesn't have to be a Wano citizen
You focused on the wrong thing. It is not about the Kanji, it is about the suffix (furigana?).

It says ugoi"dana". From the anime, I think Kin'emon says "dana" a lot but the other normal characters don't.

Well...I am going to bed. Since I don't read fan translation, I am gonna read the spoilers when it becomes available (and when I wake up).

You focused on the wrong thing. It is not about the Kanji, it is about the suffix (furigana?).

It says ugoi"dana". From the anime, I think Kin'emon says "dana" a lot but the other normal characters don't.
Nah I understand this. Thats exactly what confused me. I didn't know if other characters particularly use "dana" more often than others, but I've heard the suffix used outside of this manga before. Just can't remember where.

I've only been coming back to learning Japanese since earlier this year. Before that I only had like a year of progress made like 6 years prior lol (college).

Do we know if Izo talks the same way? I'd assume so.

I don’t see it that way. Nami, Ussop and Chopper like to act like cowards and avoid fights when they don’t need to fight but as soon as things get serious, they give it everything they’ve got. Just classic humor and characterization.
I understand where you’re coming from, but I don’t think it’s that funny, and I know I’m not the only person who wishes Oda would pull back just a bit on the goofy shit. We’re coming to the end of the series both narratively and on Shueisha’s orders, and if the audience is meant to take Luffy’s crew as serious contenders for the most powerful pirates on the Grand Line, it really detracts from that message when 30 percent of them are cowering in fear against literal foot soldiers, the likes of whom they’ve beaten in damn near every other arc of the series. It’s the same problem as Sanji’s perversion and Zoro’s lack of direction; this kind of stuff is fine and all, but where it directly and negatively impacts their efforts for the task at hand, I just can’t get on board with that this late in the game.
I think this is kinda realistic tho. My female friend has black belt in Taekwondo but still kinda scared when she has to get through among some thugs in an alley. It's not that she can't defense herself when someone tried to attack her.
It's just natural instict that push us to flinch a little bit when seeing something like knife, gun, bomb or maybe some thugs with horn in their head. And it's not wrong when weak trio are described as coward in nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.