Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Many seem to be championing Carrot as a new member, particularly on the basis of Pedro being someone close to her who died. While I’m definitely not against her joining and am open to the idea, the suggestion honestly just isn’t resonating with me at the same time. I really don’t think a recruitment should be simplified to “this loved one dies, and then boom, guaranteed recruit.”
While that's one reason, its not the reason that we're championing. You might want to read some of the things that have been said here.

Yamato seems promising, there is definitely a baseline there, and an obvious setup (Oden going with Roger, Yamato with Luffy), but that can easily also lead Yamato simply staying with Momo by his side. The son thing was played off as a joke but who knows.

Anyway, first Jinbe color page with the crew...
I definitely feel her introduction set up the potential for her character to be expanded and developed into someone who’s confident enough to pursue dreams and adventurous life beyond her past and be a passionate, supporting friend to Luffy and his dream as well.

Many seem to be championing Carrot as a new member, particularly on the basis of Pedro being someone close to her who died. While I’m definitely not against her joining and am open to the idea, the suggestion honestly just isn’t resonating with me at the same time. I really don’t think a recruitment should be simplified to “this loved one dies, and then boom, guaranteed recruit.”
It's not resonating with you because unlike the Carrot fans on this thread you can use your head and you're not fake to yourself. If you reread Pedro's last moments without any biased eyes, you notice that Carrot is there for Pedro and not the other way around. Everything revolves around Pedro, Carrot is only there as the support Mink to give more impact to the whole thing. Which she fails at because a mere 2 panels are shown to depict the relation between Carrot and Pedro and never their connection was shown in the actual ongoing plot from Zou to Whole Cake island, its never proven to matter in any way shape or form.

Its also for the same reason that the little scene with Sanji and Carrot holds no value at all too, since the readers were never shown any interaction between Sanji and Pedro nor Sanji and Carrot prior to that. Its ridiculous how poorly written Carrot is for a character that has been a lot on the front stage.

Another misconception that the Carrot fans try to use to their advantage is Pedro's last word when speaking to Carrot are again not directed to her specifically but spoken more broadly toward the Strawhats as if he was saying this to himself aloud. As his last line he mentions, '' Listen to me, yougara keep moving onward '', yougara would be you as in Carrot, however thats not what is said in Japanese, its Yougara-tachi, which means you all, and in the previous line Pedro says '' luffy and his crew '' which is '' Luffy-tachi ''... Nothing that has Carrot involved put the emphasis on her ever. She's a filler character, the mink number 1 mascot.

Another misconception that the Carrot fans try to use to their advantage is Pedro's last word when speaking to Carrot are again not directed to her specifically but spoken more broadly toward the Strawhats as if he was saying this to himself aloud.
You're the one with the misconception.

He's talking directly to Carrot when he said that one day she'll understand the true importance of Luffy and his crew, who on the panel just before expressed confusion as to what Pedro meant.

When Pedro says "You all keep moving forward" he's referring to Carrot along with the crew. He's saying they collectively should keep moving forward.
She's a filler character,
Objectively not true.

It's not resonating with you because unlike the Carrot fans on this thread you can use your head and you're not fake to yourself. If you reread Pedro's last moments without any biased eyes, you notice that Carrot is there for Pedro and not the other way around. Everything revolves around Pedro, Carrot is only there as the support Mink to give more impact to the whole thing. Which she fails at because a mere 2 panels are shown to depict the relation between Carrot and Pedro and never their connection was shown in the actual ongoing plot from Zou to Whole Cake island, its never proven to matter in any way shape or form.

Its also for the same reason that the little scene with Sanji and Carrot holds no value at all too, since the readers were never shown any interaction between Sanji and Pedro nor Sanji and Carrot prior to that. Its ridiculous how poorly written Carrot is for a character that has been a lot on the front stage.

Another misconception that the Carrot fans try to use to their advantage is Pedro's last word when speaking to Carrot are again not directed to her specifically but spoken more broadly toward the Strawhats as if he was saying this to himself aloud. As his last line he mentions, '' Listen to me, yougara keep moving onward '', yougara would be you as in Carrot, however thats not what is said in Japanese, its Yougara-tachi, which means you all, and in the previous line Pedro says '' luffy and his crew '' which is '' Luffy-tachi ''... Nothing that has Carrot involved put the emphasis on her ever. She's a filler character, the mink number 1 mascot.
Well one super douchey tone to start lol

The Bolded isn't true. Were not children, everything shouldn't need to be on panel typed out for you to make plotpoint connections.

Sanji and the SH's made the decision to rescue Zou then actively put in the work to save the country as shown below

(Sanji and Pedro)

(Pedro's Respect for Sanji)

So Pedro had respect and admiration for Sanji (who also after already saving Zou seemingly left under the hostage of a Yonko in part to prevent another all out war on Zou)

Carrot's scene with Sanji is representative that his actions and decisions lead to this moment where now Pedro is dead and Sanji must reflect on those very actions and decisions and the consequences of them. Seeing Carrot crying there should and will always weigh heavily on him.

At the italicized, Even in your statement of the correct japanese translation wouldn't that be Pedro grouping Carrot in with the SH's lmao

I personally never read to deep into Pedro's last words revolving Carrot myself but theres MANY reasons she'd be a great SH's member imo and I'd loved to see her join. Carrot as a lookout just fits perfectly, her design is dope but also doesnt standout too much (She's easily identifiable/doesnt resemble other crewmates) already has several different dynamics with other crew members - Chopper, Nami, Sanji (still waiting on the Luffy front) she's strong enough to hold her own in the coming battles, represents the minks (I believe the SH's will have member of each major faction in the crew or grandfleet and carrot doesn't have captain aspirations just longing for adventure.

She's was shown very early in the Arc she was introduced which is common for eventual SH crew-members.

Starting to have my doubts on Yamato however lol

Mark my words, Oda is a master of foreshadowing. Like I am saying from the times of OJ, Pedro is alive and the next person after Jinbe to join is Pedro followed by a frog. This has been clearly foreshadowed in dressrosa. Remember some one is following Jinbe and Robin, I think that thing that is that frog guy. I don't think either carrot or yamao will join, since oda is finicky about the name theory.

Mark my words, Oda is a master of foreshadowing. Like I am saying from the times of OJ, Pedro is alive and the next person after Jinbe to join is Pedro followed by a frog. This has been clearly foreshadowed in dressrosa. Remember some one is following Jinbe and Robin, I think that thing that is that frog guy. I don't think either carrot or yamao will join, since oda is finicky about the name theory.
That's as much foreshadowing as saying this guy with a rabbit hat next to Jinbe is foreshadowing Carrot, but that is a far-fetched assumption to assert that only feeds my bias.

She's was shown very early in the Arc she was introduced which is common for eventual SH crew-members.

Well Carrot was introduced in Chapter 804 in 2015 while Yamato was introduced in Chapter 983 just two months ago, basically there being one character who’s been given more years of time to develop than the other.

That said, I somehow feel that one is lending herself more to being set up for overcoming one’s past, passionately following one’s dream, and being willing to serve as a loyal, die-hard friend than the other, as well as being interesting enough to stand as her own character in her own right, but again, we’ll have to see how Oda develops the story.

You're the one with the misconception.

He's talking directly to Carrot when he said that one day she'll understand the true importance of Luffy and his crew, who on the panel just before expressed confusion as to what Pedro meant.

When Pedro says "You all keep moving forward" he's referring to Carrot along with the crew. He's saying they collectively should keep moving forward.

Objectively not true.
Wrong

Pedro is speaking to Carrot indirectly in a general sense of everyone, Carrot is never implied directly in those last lines. In fact the entire time that Pedro is speaking to Carrot, its just him having a monologue.

He's reffering to Luffy and his crew plus Carrot, its never about Carrot.

Carrot is a filler character through and through, she has never been essential to the plot, remove her from the story and nothing changes, nothing at all.

Well one super douchey tone to start lol

The Bolded isn't true. Were not children, everything shouldn't need to be on panel typed out for you to make plotpoint connections.

Sanji and the SH's made the decision to rescue Zou then actively put in the work to save the country as shown below

(Sanji and Pedro)

(Pedro's Respect for Sanji)

So Pedro had respect and admiration for Sanji (who also after already saving Zou seemingly left under the hostage of a Yonko in part to prevent another all out war on Zou)

Carrot's scene with Sanji is representative that his actions and decisions lead to this moment where now Pedro is dead and Sanji must reflect on those very actions and decisions and the consequences of them. Seeing Carrot crying there should and will always weigh heavily on him.

At the italicized, Even in your statement of the correct japanese translation wouldn't that be Pedro grouping Carrot in with the SH's lmao

I personally never read to deep into Pedro's last words revolving Carrot myself but theres MANY reasons she'd be a great SH's member imo and I'd loved to see her join. Carrot as a lookout just fits perfectly, her design is dope but also doesnt standout too much (She's easily identifiable/doesnt resemble other crewmates) already has several different dynamics with other crew members - Chopper, Nami, Sanji (still waiting on the Luffy front) she's strong enough to hold her own in the coming battles, represents the minks (I believe the SH's will have member of each major faction in the crew or grandfleet and carrot doesn't have captain aspirations just longing for adventure.

That was a nice bit of fan fiction, however if the relation between Sanji and Pedro was important to the story it would have been shown on panels. Another truth still stand, Sanji and Carrot as well never had any interaction prior to that.

Should Pedro ignore Carrot existence altogether, well i'd be very happy if he did that unfortunately she was there so.

You would think that Carrot fits the lookout position perfectly, but if that was the case a normal helmsman would have been alright too. Being good at something just doesn't cut it for Strawhat. And Carrot in that regard isn't special by no means.

Wrong

Pedro is speaking to Carrot indirectly in a general sense of everyone, Carrot is never implied directly in those last lines. In fact the entire time that Pedro is speaking to Carrot, its just him having a monologue.

Carrot is a filler character through and through, she has never been essential to the plot, remove her from the story and nothing changes, nothing at all.

That was a nice bit of fan fiction, however if the relation between Sanji and Pedro was important to the story it would have been shown on panels. Another truth still stand, Sanji and Carrot as well never had any interaction prior to that.

Should Pedro ignore Carrot existence altogether, well i'd be very happy if he did that unfortunately she was there so.

You would think that Carrot fits the lookout position perfectly, but if that was the case a normal helmsman would have been alright too. Being good at something just doesn't cut it for Strawhat. And Carrot in that regard isn't special by no means.
Carrots a filler character? lmao bro if you're gonna say dumbshit then just dont post lol

How has she never been essential to the plot when her actions saved the half the SH's and the Sunny from sure death and destruction. Please fanfic your way out of this predicament without Carrot along for the ride. I honestly curious to how they survive this in your mind

And Carrot has the tools to be an exceptional lookout. She jumps high af with relative ease and even becomes stronger during the night with a sulong transformation. Brooke doesn't need to be an exception musician, usopp didnt need to be a exceptional sniper to join. Like Luffy doesnt even care that these people are amazing at their job's to offer them to join the crew. They all turn out to be and again there's nothing stopping Carrot from excelling at the lookout role.

And im sure you've probably already seen this but ima drop it on you again anyway lmao

This is what doing your job well looks like. Don't let you dislike for a character cloud your reasoning.

As for the Sanji and Pedro Carrot dynamic, like I said you don't need story beats and plot points spoon fed to you to observe logical actions and reactions (and it even was lmao)

Wrong

The last line is generally saying how they must escape, but the dialogue is a continuation of his conversation with Carrot before he tells her to help the crew disembark.

This is what happens first:
The rest of the conversation:
Pedro then tells Carrot to help of the crew set sail:
I'm not exactly sure how this was missed on you or if you are construing it in a way where the last words are Pedro's monologue when they were illustrated as Carrot and Pedro's final conversation before he blew himself up.

Status
Not open for further replies.