This is just a thought since I've been seeing a ton of comments about how much people hate Wano lately, but I specifically remember virtually everyone being pissed when Luffy saved Ace.

Literally up until chapter 572, people were calling Marineford one of the WORST arcs because of this. Then 573 happened and the rest is history. I'm just implying that:

- Chapter 989's title implies everyone is full of themselves

- Act 3 in Kabuki (just assuming we are getting a 5 Act structure via "Google knowledge") generally end in some form of tragedy.

- Literally not one notable villain is even "trying" or has lost. Not even Jack, considering he hasn't even transformed to hybrid or possibly used Awakening (assuming he has it).

- Oda HAS teased "sacrifices" at the last Jump festa. "Luffy will realize there will be sacrifices in order to fight for what he believes in" or something to that effect. Apparently a mistranslation: "But, as this flashback ends, the importance of Luffy and his friends’ adventure and the meaning of their fight should become clearer!" Thanks @EtenBoby !

I personally think something pretty bad is going to happen, probably before the physical end of Volume 98 (so chapter 994 or 995), and that will carry on a few chapters towards chapter 1000. Either by some unknown force, the BMP arriving or some act of betrayal, somehow the good side is going to get (if temporarily) fucked over.

Essentially what I'm saying is, things may seem boring or there are no stakes involved until Oda decides to flip on a dime. For some of the critics, I'd at least wait until Act 3 finishes. We were supposed to get updates on Hancock, Vivi, Sabo this year I assume it is supposed to end this year/before chapter 1000 (though, Covid is a bitch)

Last edited: