Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0/5

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
This thread is fantastic, such detailed and interesting information! Really helps to get an insight into the production behind this episode and the anime generally! The animation this episode was sublime too! I can only imagine how much this arc will look in hindsight when it's over and we get to see everything animated by then!
I go back to WCI and enjoy scenes from it a lot more now and picking up new details here and there for example.

Queen vs BM has been so worth the wait in the anime!
Most of the stuff I know I get from being around people who follow the production of the show closely, or from directly following animators.

The animation director for this episode, and the sole animator for the second half of the episode, Tu Yong Ce, posted promotional art before the episode aired.

A lot of people who animate on the show do cool fan art as well. Its cool to follow animators just on the off chance they post some fan art they make for the show in their spare time.

Its a little sad the One Piece fandom doesn't really have any sort of well constructed sources that succinctly goes into detail about production aspects of the series.

I got into following the production of One Piece, funnily enough, through the dragon ball fandom, which although not overly informed, still has a banging forum page breaking down the production details of how shows are made.

It wasn't really that hard to transfer understanding of how a show like Dragonball super was made to something like One Piece(though its obvious that One Piece, production wise, blows a show like DBS out of the water, especially in its current state).
https://www.kanzenshuu.com/animation-production/

Other sites like Sakugabooru and animators corner are also good entry points, even if they are a bit hard to use due to how those sights are formatted(and aren't perfect sources either, a lot of the time due to the limited amount of shows they update).
http://www.animatorscorner.com/
https://www.sakugabooru.com/

Hell, other One Piece forums like Arlong Park, albeit less active, has a far number of members who are willing to take questions about this sort of thing(just be polite, a lot of people there are hard asses in some cases).

Its just a bit of fun really. Its especially fun if you have an interest in stuff like anime production, or art more generally.

Learning about how anime is made gives you a better appreciation of what goes into a show. For example, this episode, an animator who was also animation director, solo animated half an episode. Knowing a little bit about production can give perspective to how impressive something like that is.

Yeah, you can still be critical. But it allows you to be critical in more constructive ways(I for example, do not like particular animation directors because they've historically had rather iffy character art. The most well known example being Toshio Deguchi, who is generally not fondly regarded by people in the know). In saying that, do not use production knowledge to personally attack the staff on the show or try be too picky with them.

Anyway, I think that's enough of my fairly episode unrelated rant.

Also, a few people I am in a group chat in translated the animation credits for the episode. Typically, Toei handles animation credits by having the person highest up on the staff list animating the most cuts, with those at the bottom animating the least(there is some discrepancy based on how staff credits are shown between studios, ie, some shows may give second key animator credits while some don't). Its also important to note that some key animators do end up going uncredited(though the only time that may be relevant is in the context of a really well animated scene that is obviously done by an animator who didn't show up on the staff list).

Look like some rent is due for the Linlin haters.
Time and time again, those people use the cracking suffix to state Linlin got her neck or skull crack.
Animators - her tooth...

Even so, Oda didn't bother or hint that Linlin was severely hurt but the focus was getting back her memories.

Anyway a long awaited episode and it delivered with top notch animation.

That brachio bomber reused the animation for the environment from someplace else. Can't remember where.
I think I know where you think you might have seen it before. The eye zoom in for Big Mum this episode is similar to the Zoom in on Page One during the Shooting Star Soba kick scene.

That sound about right?

Anyway, its a sort of similar concept, but it still has an original execution.

Or maybe the eye effect at the end is making you think of Jack vs Zunisha?
Post automatically merged:

Last edited:
@Admiral Lee Hung
What did I tell you all the time: Queen's brachio bomber didn't do jackshit. The sfx sound actually only was the ground cracking and a tiny part of her front tooth breaking.
:cheers:
That argument was comedy anyway since it only caused BM to regain her memory and to be mad at Queen until her falling asleep miraculousely saved him from being trounced to death or from having his lifespan sucked.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Don't backtrack now Lee:gokulaugh::gokulaugh:
What am I backtracking on lol? When has it ever been acceptable to use anime filler as a reference? And when have I ever done so?

Did Big Mom’s teeth crack in the manga? No, her skull did.

Did the ground crack in the manga? No, Big Mom’s skull did lol.

I am not backtracking on anything, the canon has been 100% clear about this and citing anime filler does not help your case lol.

Nananana, Admiral, there comes a time when one simply has to admit defeat :moonwalk:
Yeah, refer to the above lol. The irony of citing anime filler to make a non-existent point is something that will always go over your guys’ heads I guess lol.

Zoro

Hyo

Toei knows. :wellwell:
Hyo used that haki and got slapped across Udon hmmm 👀
Post automatically merged:

And anime filler is your reference yes? Lol
Show us in the manga where her skull/neck is cracking, it’s all just interpretations. Mostly from biased people intent on memeing her. And how is showing the exact same scene filler exactly? You aware that they consult Oda to animate the anime right?

What am I backtracking on lol? When has it ever been acceptable to use anime filler as a reference? And when have I ever done so?

Did Big Mom’s teeth crack in the manga? No, her skull did.

Did the ground crack in the manga? No, Big Mom’s skull did lol.

I am not backtracking on anything, the canon has been 100% clear about this and citing anime filler does not help your case lol.

Yeah, refer to the above lol. The irony of citing anime filler to make a non-existent point is something that will always go over your guys’ heads I guess lol.
So do you also think that Ulti and Luffy both cracked their skulls when they clashed?

If, in fact, Queen cracked BM's skull and made her fall unconscious, then that would definitely have been shown to us in the anime. But, that never happened. BM was fine, she just remembered her children and got her senses back.

Have you seen the preview for the next episode? BM is emitting aura and Queen is extremely scared.