• ⭐⭐

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Amazing chapter. Man’U is a great character and I’m glad to see his story expanded, it gives better context to the battle against Juuko

So looks like I was right @Owl Ki , Sen To Un and Man’U are both former Supreme Commanders of previous states, and it seems that Gen U and Juuko Ou are similar, meaning the Chu army is probably made up of a bunch of Great Generals and Supreme Commanders lol. The EOS Qin are going to be hella powerful to conquer this state lol.

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
Good chap ! It is always good to have some flesh for the characters and to deepen them. Man'u and Sento'un story was nice.

Don't know what will happen for the strategist, given the way he asked them to die I don't think Tou will accept to kill him.

Maybe he can be the new strategist of the MouBu army as reward for freeing Man'u from his grief

D

Dragomir

This chapter made me sympathize with Man'U a lot and I'm starting to like him more and more. I think if Hara uses and develops him well, he has potential to be one of the great side characters in the series, alongside Ou Ki and Ren Pa.

As for Juko'ou, I heavily doubt that he'll actually die. I think his role in the story is not finished yet. Too soon for him.

Hara delivered a fantastic chapter this week. :finally:

While Man U and his past was obviously the main focus of this chapter, it interesting that Hara gave Sentoun the exact same backstory.

Perhaps in the future, Man U and Sentoun will become foils to each other, in which Man U ultimately rises above the tragedy that has gripped his heart with darkness for so long while Sentoun falls deeper into the abyss of despair? Just a thought. Lol.
Amazing chapter. Man’U is a great character and I’m glad to see his story expanded, it gives better context to the battle against Juuko

So looks like I was right @Owl Ki , Sen To Un and Man’U are both former Supreme Commanders of previous states, and it seems that Gen U and Juuko Ou are similar, meaning the Chu army is probably made up of a bunch of Great Generals and Supreme Commanders lol. The EOS Qin are going to be hella powerful to conquer this state lol.
You end up right about a lot of things (e.g. Man U = Moubu). Lol.

I imagine that Chu is going to be the greatest obstacle to unification after Zhao falls. After Chu is dealt with, the rest of the states will be footnotes by comparison.
Don't know what will happen for the strategist, given the way he asked them to die I don't think Tou will accept to kill him.

Maybe he can be the new strategist of the MouBu army as reward for freeing Man'u from his grief
As for Juko'ou, I heavily doubt that he'll actually die. I think his role in the story is not finished yet. Too soon for him.
Aye, it would be a waste for both the story and for Qin to simply execute Juko Ou.

I was initially thinking that he was going to join Tou simply because Tou had captured him and that Tou could use someone to replace Doukin and Rinbou.

After this chapter however, it seems more thematic for Juko Ou to join Moubu out of a mixture of gratitude for what he has (unintentionally) done for Man U and to possibly see Man U's fate with his own eyes when he inevitably meets Moubu again.

Besides, the Moubu Army is in dire need of a decent strategist and Mouki is in dire need of a tutor to school him on how to git gud at strategy. Lol.

Last edited:

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Perhaps in the future, Man U and Sentoun will become foils to each other, in which Man U ultimately rises above the tragedy that has gripped his heart with darkness for so long while Sentoun falls deeper into the abyss of despair? Just a thought. Lol.
Some were recently talking about the fact that Moubu needed stronger subordinates, and I was thinking that Sen To Un may actually join him after he slays ManU lol. Sen To Un to me seems like he will be loyal to the party that allows him to have the most fun on the battlefield, and I could see him developing the same respect he had for ManU towards Moubu lol. I think Sen To Un sees Man’U in a similar way to how Tou saw Ouki, and after Moubu surpassed ManU then Sen To Un may come around to Qin.

People are usually pretty quick to speculate on who will slay who in battles like this, but we shouldn’t forget that this is a manga about unification first and foremost, and that really most characters who are enemies now could wind up as allies in the future.

Good chapter. What do you think would have happened if the one who faced Manu wasn't Moubu but someone without a burden, someone that would make Manu feel nothing? I would like to see a collision between Manu and soulless basterds like Kanki who care less about the concept of loyalty to kingdoms considering it nothing more than a cesspool.

The Beki backstory looked so plain and simple it disappointed me. I understand that it explained how they suffered from nothingness and became rootless because of Chu's tyranny but i expected a more detailed exploration, a bigger lore to the story that actually involves Chu's elites in the plot to pave the way for the second Chu campaign.

Not fan of the flashback,also its stupid that Man U was basically doing what he wanted on Chu territory,slaughtering their armies left and right,were are Kouen,Kanmei and Karin to put a stop to all that.

Love the interactions between Tou and Roku O Mi.They are truly a good duo.:gokulaugh:

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Not fan of the flashback,also its stupid that Man U was basically doing what he wanted on Chu territory,slaughtering their armies left and right,were are Kouen,Kanmei and Karin to put a stop to all that.
He was only roaming around for a couple of weeks, and I would not be surprised if it was Kou En himself who gave the order to attack ManU with a Beki army lol.

The narration makes it seem like the people of Beki “betrayed” ManU, but I would bet money that sending his own people to fight him was something specifically devised by Kou En or Shunshinkun to break him in, especially considering the other Juuko generals were also forced to fight their own armies as Juuko Ou said.

That is definitely not coincidence imo lol.

For those three specifically;

I) Karin was simply not a General back then as during the Battle of Kankoku Pass, Riboku stated that she only recently rose to prominence.

II) While Kanmei himself was not defeated in combat, Kanmei’s Army apparently did fight them and straight up lost.
This was most likely before he was a Great General.

III) As for Kou En, well we do not have enough info on him but considering the size of Chu’s borders, Kou En could simply have been on an important military campaign elsewhere.

As for why the Chu did not send the likes of Kou En down on Man U and co, I can think of at least two scenarios.
As we can see from this map, the states of Reki and Beki are tiny city states.

The conquest of these city states would result in little material gain. So logically, Chu would initially send out their weaker Generals to deal with them while they send out their best Generals and Great Generals to deal with much larger threats i.e. the other Warring States.

Ultimately, after Man U and Sentoun keep beating their weaker armies, Chu comes to realise that it will actually take the best Generals they have to defeat these two tiny states and even then there is still a chance that they might lose.

By this point, Chu needs to take action before Reki and Beki potentially join forces and counterattack but the fact still remains that the investment it would require to defeat these tiny city states is not worth the meagre material rewards that they would gain and the casualties Chu would sustain in such a scenario could affect their other battlefronts.

Luckily, whether because Enkou (the King of Beki) and his Reki counterpart both reached out to Chu to surrender entirely on their own motives or because Shunshinkun had Chu spies infiltrate both the Reki and Beki royal courts to influence decision making, the states of Reki and Beki surrender and Chu uses the citizens of these fallen nations to attack their former protecters and mentally break them.

Thus Chu avoids potentially grievous military losses while still defeating those annoying city states and even comes to gain military assets in the Juuko Four.
This is the far more insidious scenario.

Juko Ou states that Reki and Beki were two of few states that resisted Chu incursions.
There are seven small white dots on this panel. They likely represent the other small city states that Juko Ou was talking about.

When rereading the chapter, something struck me as being rather odd.
One thousand casualties on Man U’s side? Only one thousand? For a supposedly large scale engagement, losing one thousand men is suspiciously low. Even Man U pauses at this number as if he is uncertain as to whether to be suspicious or grateful that the number is so low.

So I thought to myself, “How come the Chu forces are inflicting such little damage?”.

Then I thought to myself... “Wait, what if they are not Chu?”.
What would Chu do with half of an enslaved and resentful population of an enemy city state? The answer? Send them all to their deaths to whittle down other enemy city states.

If the Chu have no problem turning the citizens of Beki against Man U then they would equally have no problem using the citizens of other conquered city states as cannon fodder to grind down and whittle down the moral of Man U, his army and the citizens/nobility of Beki.

Not only that but Chu also disposes of a resentful native population that could have potentially rebelled in the future (similar to how the Juuteki Tribe rebelled against Qin by joining the Ai rebellion only 100 years after their lands were conquered) and replaces them all with loyal Chu citizens.

This is what one would call killing two birds with one stone.
In Scenario 1, we have a plan devised by someone with a mind for logistics and political manipulation while also possessing an eye for grasping opportunities.

In Scenario 2, we have a truly terrifying individual with an apatite for insidiously callous master plans that would make even Kanki blush.

Thoughts? @Admiral Lee Hung @Dragomir @RayanOO @Blackbeard @Shanks

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
As for why the Chu did not send the likes of Kou En down on Man U and co, I can think of at least two scenarios.
Keep in mind that Kan Mei used to be one of Kou En’s deputies before he became a Chu Great General himself. So Kou En facing (and being defeated by?) Man’U and co. Could’ve represented Kou En’s attempt to defeat Man’U.

Also Keep in mind that Kou En didn’t even personally show up when Ou Kotsu of the Qin 6 invaded Chu @Perun , and the Qin 6 were famous all throughout China, presumably moreso than ManU. It doesn’t make much since for Kou En to send a deputy to face Ou Kotsu when he invaded Chu, but to show up to personally defeat ManU lol.

But I’ll stick to my explanation here, which sounds like your scenario 2 Owl:

He was only roaming around for a couple of weeks, and I would not be surprised if it was Kou En himself who gave the order to attack ManU with a Beki army lol.

The narration makes it seem like the people of Beki “betrayed” ManU, but I would bet money that sending his own people to fight him was something specifically devised by Kou En or Shunshinkun to break him in, especially considering the other Juuko generals were also forced to fight their own armies as Juuko Ou said.

D

Dragomir

I) Karin was simply not a General back then as during the Battle of Kankoku Pass, Riboku stated that she only recently rose to prominence.

II) While Kanmei himself was not defeated in combat, Kanmei’s Army apparently did fight them and straight up lost.

III) As for Kou En, well we do not have enough info on him but considering the size of Chu’s borders, Kou En could simply have been on an important military campaign elsewhere.

The conquest of these city states would result in little material gain. So logically, Chu would initially send out their weaker Generals to deal with them while they send out their best Generals and Great Generals to deal with much larger threats i.e. the other Warring States.

Ultimately, after Man U and Sentoun keep beating their weaker armies, Chu comes to realise that it will actually take the best Generals they have to defeat these two tiny states and even then there is still a chance that they might lose.

By this point, Chu needs to take action before Reki and Beki potentially join forces and counterattack but the fact still remains that the investment it would require to defeat these tiny city states is not worth the meagre material rewards that they would gain and the casualties Chu would sustain in such a scenario could affect their other battlefronts.

Luckily, whether because Enkou (the King of Beki) and his Reki counterpart both reached out to Chu to surrender entirely on their own motives or because Shunshinkun had Chu spies infiltrate both the Reki and Beki royal courts to influence decision making, the states of Reki and Beki surrender and Chu uses the citizens of these fallen nations to attack their former protecters and mentally break them.

Thus Chu avoids potentially grievous military losses while still defeating those annoying city states and even comes to gain military assets in the Juuko Four.

Juko Ou states that Reki and Beki were two of few states that resisted Chu incursions.
There are seven small white dots on this panel. They likely represent the other small city states that Juko Ou was talking about.

One thousand casualties on Man U’s side? Only one thousand? For a supposedly large scale engagement, losing one thousand men is suspiciously low. Even Man U pauses at this number as if he is uncertain as to whether to be suspicious or grateful that the number is so low.

So I thought to myself, “How come the Chu forces are inflicting such little damage?”.

What would Chu do with half of an enslaved and resentful population of an enemy city state? The answer? Send them all to their deaths to whittle down other enemy city states.

If the Chu have no problem turning the citizens of Beki against Man U then they would equally have no problem using the citizens of other conquered city states as cannon fodder to grind down and whittle down the moral of Man U, his army and the citizens/nobility of Beki.

Not only that but Chu also disposes of a resentful native population that could have potentially rebelled in the future (similar to how the Juuteki Tribe rebelled against Qin by joining the Ai rebellion only 100 years after their lands were conquered) and replaces them all with loyal Chu citizens.

In Scenario 1, we have a plan devised by someone with a mind for logistics and political manipulation while also possessing an eye for grasping opportunities.

In Scenario 2, we have a truly terrifying individual with an apatite for insidiously callous master plans that would make even Kanki blush.

Damn, these two scenarios are very well-thought-out, Owl! I personally prefer scenario 2. I think it makes the most sense when you consider the fact that Chu has zero issues using Beki's citizens to fight Man'U. So what is stopping them from using other city-states' citizens in wars to capture Beki and Reki? Pretty much nothing. I like this level of ruthlessness for the story to incorporate. It plays well to the fact this likely what happened in real life all those thousands of years ago, or at least something similar. I hope Hara does expand on this in the coming chapters or at least when Qin faces Chu again.

Man'U had it rough and so did the others. That panel of him soullessly cutting through the Chu army was heart wrecking. I'm little more invested on Sen TouUn after this chapter. He always striked me as Hisoka of Kingdom who only wanted to fight on tougher battle but now I see what he seeks from them. My best hope for Man'U is for him to clash again with Moubu but not as a "not Chu" but as an independent unit as he was fighting Chu before he was offered Jukko. He should then be able to spark his fire back on and should join Moubu and help him take on Chu campaign.
I would not be surprised if it was Kou En himself who gave the order to attack ManU with a Beki army lol.
This would hype the Tiger even more as a GG who can literally think in and out of the box. He wanted to keep Man'U on check but still didn't wanna waste his time on doing so.
This is what I was thinking too. Moubu definitely needs an experienced strategist on his side. Mouki cannot do shit on battlefield. Until now Moubu usually just swings his Mace and rips his way through the enemy lines but if he is to Unify China he definitely needs to Up his game and an experienced strategist like Juko'ou will really help on that.
SentoUn should just join Tou army, just for the fun of it. Him and Rokumi make quite a team.
10/10 chapter

I hope these brilliant scenarios are indeed planned by Kou En, neutralizing someone of Manu's caliber from far away while Kanmei got asswhopped in real warfare? Now that's how you define the word "hype" lol.

Largest state by landmass is something that works against them as well. I think naturally due to his epithet, Kou En was busy on one of his east expeditions somewhere in Qi and left other commanders to watch over the region surrounding Beki/Reki, but as you said he was the one who set up the plan of manipulating the citizens/nobility.

Is Moubu going to be the tiger's next victim? :myman:

I hope that you two are right and that there is more to it(plan made by Shun Shin Kun or Kouen) then my king is bitch and he betrayed me,nobody can stop me,but I will join the enemy because I am feeling "empty".

I hope that you two are right and that there is more to it(plan made by Shun Shin Kun or Kouen) then my king is bitch and he betrayed me,nobody can stop me,but I will join the enemy because I am feeling "empty".
It had nothing to do with the King betraying him that he joined the army. The people betrayed him is why he joined the army.

The people willingly chose to join the Chu Army against Man'U, the very people he fought against the Chu for. If the people sided with the Chu then what's the point of him fighting the Chu? You're really underrating the impact this would have on a soldier who's been giving his whole life into protecting a nation's people.

I'm in disagreement with @Blackbeard @Owl Ki @Admiral Lee Hung on the idea that the Tiger of Chu would be wasting time dealing with a minor general (which is what Man'U was regardless of his abilities) when he's out leading grand armies in the East + dealing with the Wei7/Zhao3/Qin6/Gakuki. If there was a plan it was 100% Shunshinkun, who held the same position as Riboku, since he's the one who later made the plan for Juuko for them.

Now as for the possibility of the plan I'm on board with, but I'm in disagreement with the specific detail of it with @Owl Ki when it comes to who exactly from Juuko joined the army. Rather than the enslaved people it makes more sense thematically that people free of their will joined the army. If it were the enslaved who joined the army, Man'U didn't get betrayed. Betrayal of his burden only makes sense if the people willingly said "We'll fight against Man'U", now more than likely they did it because of something Chu promised them like money or possibly land or w.e.

Ju Ko's words were that the people were turned against him, considering he's an intellectual and has been doing nothing but chilling. He'd figured it by now if they had been forced to fight against Man'U or simply turned against him. If they were forced to fight him they would know. Him saying it wasn't very difficult for them to turn the people against Man'U also implies that he knows how exactly they turned the people against Man'U.

The enslaved people would be used as labor, similar to how Shin & Hyou were used as labor when they were slaves.
Post automatically merged:

I could see him developing the same respect he had for ManU towards Moubu lol. I think Sen To Un sees Man’U in a similar way to how Tou saw Ouki, and after Moubu surpassed ManU then Sen To Un may come around to Qin.
The Tou-Ouki = Sento- ManU is a bit of a reach imo. Tou saw Ouki as somebody he admired. Sento doesn't see Man'U that way. He has no reason to see Man'U that way, since he's suffered through the same fate as Man'U (possibly even worst for all we know). His connection with ManU would be akin to Moubu & Tou if anything.

You have two strong individuals who grow to be monsters in parallel to each other. A tragic event that then changes them, and connects them. Just like how Sento & Man'U were holding it down for their nations, we had Moubu & Tou up against the top military individuals of other states, Gouhoumei & Karin respectively.

Much like how Sento takes the backseat when he's with ManU. Tou also takes the backseat when he's with Moubu. IE, Coalition war where Moubu got the big main fight while Tou dealt with the things on the side. And of course this very arc itself.

You just have two nigh-equal individuals with respect for each other, but that's about it. Now they were essentially stuck together due to the whole Juuko thing from Shunshinkun, but for all we know Sento could come leading his own army later in the story, just depends on what the role Karin decides to come up for them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.