How do you feel about the series after the basement reveal?

Did you like the new direction of the series?

• Yes, I love it!

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • It's alright

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • I did not like it but will keep reading

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I did not like it and will drop the series

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

Kiwipom

Ghost Princess
After the basement reveal, the series took a twist in direction which was deemed controversial.

*If you didn't get past the basement reveal, don't go further in the thread!!*

Specifically talking about the whole Eldia vs Marley vs Paradis Island conflict

While some people saw it coming and welcomed it, others disliked the shift in focus and criticized it. Now that the series is approaching the end, how did you feel about the plot twist?

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
I'm unsure how to feel. I have been a fan of the series for years so I'll never forget about the great moments this one gave me xd

I hope things will somehow reverse but I'm not sure xd either way plot or not I still hope to enjoy some great fights

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
After the basement reveal, the series took a twist in direction which was deemed controversial.

*If you didn't get past the basement reveal, don't go further in the thread!!*

Specifically talking about the whole Eldia vs Marley vs Paradis Island conflict

While some people saw it coming and welcomed it, others disliked the shift in focus and criticized it. Now that the series is approaching the end, how did you feel about the plot twist?
I like it for the most part.

I really like the Marley arc, with the focus on the lives of Eldians there. I found it interesting, believable etc. And the battle after to take back Eren was good. Even the murder of Sasha ( poor one).

We were on a small island for so long and now the world was much bigger in one go. And the story of the eldians was very grim and I think it was a good thing for the story to keep being realistic.

But I am not too found of the Yegerist plot, Eren playing the cold distant one etc. I think it could have been done in a different way.

Now let's see wherethe rest of the story will go but I will sure finish it.

Kiwipom

Ghost Princess
I like it for the most part.

I really like the Marley arc, with the focus on the lives of Eldians there. I found it interesting, believable etc. And the battle after to take back Eren was good. Even the murder of Sasha ( poor one).

We were on a small island for so long and now the world was much bigger in one go. And the story of the eldians was very grim and I think it was a good thing for the story to keep being realistic.

But I am not too found of the Yegerist plot, Eren playing the cold distant one etc. I think it could have been done in a different way.

Now let's see what the rest of the story will go but I will sure finish it.
I liked the vibe of the Early series a lot more but I understand why it had to turn into politics at one point. They can’t be out killing mindless titans the entire series

Lmao I’m actually a bit lost in the manga, it’s getting so confusing at times especially the Yeagerist plot and the whole paths thing throws me off

Sasha deserves better! The only the that comforts me is that Isayama planned to kill her back in the Trost arc so at least she survived longer

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
I liked the vibe of the Early series a lot more but I understand why it had to turn into politics at one point. They can’t be out killing mindless titans the entire series

Lmao I’m actually a bit lost in the manga, it’s getting so confusing at times especially the Yeagerist plot and the whole paths thing throws me off

Sasha deserves better! The only the that comforts me is that Isayama planned to kill her back in the Trost arc so at least she survived longer
At least Sasha death put Connie in badass mode.

Yeah it was sad to kill her, especially just after the time skip. But if Jean survives I am Ok.

I agree with you the plot can be a little bit confusing sometimes.

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
Who else do you think will survive?

I lowkey hope Levi survives
Jean, he will be one of the new leader of the eldians. Mikasa too will survive. If eren managed to break the cruse maybe Armin too. Historia too.

I think Levi will die. Eren too.

For Connie I don't know, I can see him making a stupid thing or vengeful thing and be killed.

In reality if Eren managed to make a time loop everybody can survive (except him maybe)

Reiner will die he needs some rest.

And you ?

Kiwipom

Ghost Princess
Jean, he will be one of the new leader of the eldians. Mikasa too will survive. If eren managed to break the cruse maybe Armin too. Historia too.

I think Levi will die. Eren too.

For Connie I don't know, I can see him making a stupid thing or vengeful thing and be killed.

In reality if Eren managed to make a time loop everybody can survive (except him maybe)

Reiner will die he needs some rest.

And you ?
I think Hanji will die (she didn’t turn into Titan yet, right?)

Levi...I hope he gets a break, dude is already injured. He should of killed Zeke when he had the chance

Eren will survive because I think he will manage to break the curse and free Ymir

Mikasa, Jean, Armin will survive imo because they’ll be the new leaders for Paradise Island

And Reiner...will survive!! :madmonk:

Kiwipom

Ghost Princess
How can not be loved? The level of writing skyrocket after that reveal...
I understand what you're saying but the flaw is that AoT started as a horror post-apocalypse shounen borderline seinen manga that had a medieval vibe to it.
Now, it's completely different, it is more about politics and everything from the previous seasons where they talk about themselves as if they were humanity's last stand just looks silly in comparison.

The writing may be getting better but it isn't for everyone especially people who were hoping to read horror/post-apocalypse genres

I understand what you're saying but the flaw is that AoT started as a horror post-apocalypse shounen borderline seinen manga that had a medieval vibe to it.
Now, it's completely different, it is more about politics and everything from the previous seasons where they talk about themselves as if they were humanity's last stand just looks silly in comparison.

The writing may be getting better but it isn't for everyone especially people who were hoping to read horror/post-apocalypse genres
The "horror post-apocalypse shounen borderline seinen" was just the surface of the story, it looked like that because the main characters knew nothing about what there was outside the walls, living in a pseudo 1800 society: now the characters are developping, the technology improving, Eldia is not anymore an isolated corner in the world; now is learning and experiencing for the first time the real world and consequently the plot is moving forward and the execution in my opinion is simply flawless.

I miss those times when a titan could have annihilated a city all of a sudden and also so many guys trying to match him/her xd

Things changed so much. I ll never forget about the horror moments that made me love this. I even cried for the deaths of a few characters xd

Kiwipom

Ghost Princess
The "horror post-apocalypse shounen borderline seinen" was just the surface of the story, it looked like that because the main characters knew nothing about what there was outside the walls, living in a pseudo 1800 society: now the characters are developping, the technology improving, Eldia is not anymore an isolated corner in the world; now is learning and experiencing for the first time the real world and consequently the plot is moving forward and the execution in my opinion is simply flawless.
I don't think it was flawless, the point is the latter part of AoT is almost a completely different genre than in the beginning. While the readers were still trying to adjust to the idea of Marley vs Eldia, Isayama just threw the Marley Arc where a whole new cast gets introduced followed by info dump

Like @Finalbeta said, it was inevitable that the series had to resolve the titan conflict but it was nice when things were simpler and just about trying to survive and fight for the future of humanity

I don't think it was flawless, the point is the latter part of AoT is almost a completely different genre than in the beginning. While the readers were still trying to adjust to the idea of Marley vs Eldia, Isayama just threw the Marley Arc where a whole new cast gets introduced followed by info dump

Like @Finalbeta said, it was inevitable that the series had to resolve the titan conflict but it was nice when things were simpler and just about trying to survive and fight for the future of humanity
It is a complete different genre because the characters (and the readers) realise that theirs is a complete different battle compared to what they (we) initially thought.
And that was an intentional choice from Isayama's part.

I remember when characters had 0 knowledge about titans and they wouldn't even know about their weak spot. It was awesome. They would struggle to survive and their weapons prove to useless in due to the regen. capabilities of the titans. Stabbing their vital organs was utterly useless, on the other hand, titans moving a single finger could kill a person.

Miss that xd

Kiwipom

Ghost Princess
It is a complete different genre because the characters (and the readers) realise that theirs is a complete different battle compared to what they (we) initially thought.
And that was an intentional choice from Isayama's part.
Not everyone wants to go into a survival story only to find out that it was actually about politics
Just like how reviews for The Walking Dead have sunk because it changed from a zombie show to a political narrative

Not everyone wants to go into a survival story only to find out that it was actually about politics
Just like how reviews for The Walking Dead have sunk because it changed from a zombie show to a political narrative
It was foreshadowed since the beginning: the government was fishy and it was self-evident that there was something really wrong about it and many important truths were intentionally concealed.
Is not incoherent nor unplanned.

Kiwipom

Ghost Princess
It was foreshadowed since the beginning: the government was fishy and it was self-evident that there was something really wrong about it and many important truths were intentionally concealed.
Is not incoherent nor unplanned.
I didn’t say it was incoherent, it’s different and not everybody like different. I’m ok with the shift in narrative but I still like the former parts of the series more