Does WG love or hate the French?

What is your stance on French?

• Total voters
To be honest, I've been on vacation alone a few times in Europe and I met people who told me in the second I told them I was French "wow, French haha, so arrogant" or other various kinds of contempt. I mean, I don't know where the contempt comes from but it could indeed be Americans influencing their brains like :pepebusi:
It has always been ironic, for americans to criticize french and others for arrogance.

Pantheos

Heavy Metal
β€Ž
I may have mixed up NATO with it then.
Most likely yeah. NATO is an intergovernmental military alliance, while the european union is an economic und political alliance/union. Some clear difference there, since USA is part of the NATO for example, while obviously not part of the EU.

It has always been ironic, for americans to criticize french and others for arrogance.
You'll hear bat-shit crazy stuff like "the French are so mad that they lost their colonies", even though the French don't even remotely care about that today. Same is said about the British and I don't think they care either.

I'm talking about populations here, of course the State kept economical interests though

You'll hear bat-shit crazy stuff like "the French are so mad that they lost their colonies", even though the French don't even remotely care about that today. Same is said about the British and I don't think they care either.

I'm talking about populations here, of course the State kept economical interests though
Are Americans why English speaking foreigners even as second language get ridiculed by some French folk?
That's what i heard from a friend who visited France.. Said that French don't like English at all

Are Americans why English speaking foreigners even as second language get ridiculed by some French folk?
That's what i heard from a friend who visited France.. Said that French don't like English at all
It's exagerated, there may be some who ridicule english-speaking foreigners but it's just a minority just like everywhere else. And english generally throw more pokes and care more about french than french do about english.

Of course you have to know the very long history between english and french to know why.

I don't really get it. How are we supposed to make fun of people speaking English ? Aren't we the worst at that ?

As for anti-Americanism, at least it's based on contemporary issues.

That reminds me of the childish and petty french-bashing americans did after France opposed US's war in Irak, even as we had very good reasons and weren't the only western country to do so.

Red Night

Chise and Joseph
β€Ž
Yes it takes its roots right after WW2, but it has other reasons to exist than just facing the Soviets. Especially today.
De Gaulle wasn't liked by the Americans. The USA were even prepared for an alliance between France and USSR.
Post automatically merged:

The submarines case last year was really a thing in France. Some were considering leaving NATO just after this.