Character Discussion Why I no longer like Dracule Mihawk.

How do you feel about Mihawk?

• Still like him the same if not more

Votes: 37 41.1%
  • Started to like him less

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Don't like him anymore

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Has become irrelevant to me

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Never cared about him

Votes: 34 37.8%

• Total voters
Disclaimer/clarification: Generally I do not like making threads that are negative towards any character. In fact I don't think I've ever made a thread about disliking, trolling, slandering any character specifically. However, after the recent events that have been happening in One Piece since chapter 1050, I find myself writing this thread. Acknowledging that this is probably a sentiment not shared by the masses, but also filled with curiosity if there are others share such feelings toward this character now to. Now to me likeability of a character and writing of the character are two different things. So don't take this as me saying Mihawk is a trash written character, the thread is simply to express why I, after 1000+ chapters of having Dracule Mihawk in my top 10 fav characters don't even have him in the top 30.

For years now Dracule Mihawk has been a character I really liked, like we're talking top 10 fav character type shit. I've made giant posts about this dude and where he stands against the emperors and even the admirals. But holy buddha has his character just become non-intriguing and borderline irrelevant for me. Before I explain why no longer like him, I reckon it's probably best I explain why used to like him.

Why I used to like Dracule Mihawk:

When he first got introduced at Baratie, my god, mans had that swagger. His attitude towards Roronoa where he's talking like a superior dude who stands above all and nothing in the damn world is doing shit to him. Then even making a declaration for Zoro to grow strong enough one day to come fight him, and that until Zoro does that he'd wait there at the top. Which led to Zoro making his declarative statement, and Mihawk smirking like "ayeee there we go come at me one day, I can't wait".

Next time we see him he's talking to Shanks who at that point we know is Luffy's pirate idol. And just calls him a 1-armed has been, while exuding the same intimidating aura.

Then we come on to Marineford, I wasn't a huge fan of his presentation with Luffy and how all of that played out (though Luffy in general that arc was just a walking PIS causing terrorist) with Mihawk. However, I did like Vista-Mihawk clash, probably one of my fav moments regarding his since it involved another swordsman. Then there were the trash moments with Daz & Crocoboy, but all em didn't matter much to me. Since that Iceberg slash overshadowed all of those presentations by FAR. After this he leaves the war and marines are like "yo Mihawk where you going bruhh??" Brotha just said heh I done my agreement y'all continue this non-sense war.

From Marineford we then went to his mentoring Zoro. He takes in Zoro after Zoro greatly humbles himself. I really loved this "Goal turned teacher" role for Mihawk. So fucking badass man, homie legit said "im gone train the dude who's eventually gone come fight me." Then his castle and everything about his presentation going into the timeskip was absolutely amazing.

Then the last moment that had me insanely hyped about Mihawk. The Lonewolf about to do his own shit and excited to be chased, with 0 fucks given. LETS GO.

Essentially I just loved his lonewolf type of thing, it made him very unique and made the WSS title itself very unique to me. You had the entity separate from the admirals and the emperors doing his own thing when he wants and how he wants with no regard. I just insanely loved that idea man. But then...we come post-Wano and yea...

Why I no longer like Mihawk:

To get straight to the point, I just don't like his presentation and his character in the world of One Piece is no longer the same.

Now post-Wano he makes his appearance in the Cross Guild non-sense, where him and Crocodile are essentially bitching Buggy. We see his little flashback with Crocodile and how both agreed to form the organization. But he also said he just wanted to live a quieter life (something he had been doing pre-Cross Guild as a warlord). So I figured cool no problem, Oda just wants to use him as a hype tool to elevate two bums and create a gag faction, while Mihawk himself goes away and keeps up his lonewolf persona... Now despite the terrible writing that went into CG's creation, I didn't necessarily mind Mihawk's presentation that much, though still not happy about it.

What was really annoying about this though was Oda making it clear Crocodile was the one doing the actual leading, through "we follow crocodile" instead of "we follow them" or "we follow hawkeye and crocodile"

But chapter 1082 happened, and we are shown Dracule planning shit out with Crocodile for their plan to create a Utopia.

So his character went from:

-> Separate entity who was a top tier without crew or any group on his own unlike the Admirals & Emperors.
-> Lone wolf persona who just wants to chill out and wait for somebody stronger than Shanks to show up.
-> Just badass in general.

To being:

-> Renowned as an underling of 1 of the four emperors who's backed by major criminal organizations of the world.
-> Following Crocodile's lead and legitimately trying to help Crocodile achieve his goal of Utopia. Where he's now planning with Crocodile to figure out how to attain overwhelming strength.
-> He's not the character who's reached his goal and is just waiting for somebody to contend him, now he himself has a goal in creating a Utopian country that can resist any other power.

For me those are two different characters. They're not the same in their essence or atleast in their outward presentation. And I just found it interesting that after reading this chapter and thinking on it I came to the conclusion man... I really just don't give a fuck about Mihawk anymore. Ironically, the character who I've spent a vast portion of my time going against whether it be for the admirals, mihawk, or other characters... Shanks... I've actually started liking his character more now.

I've seen the threads about Mihawk and explaining his "development" or whatever it is, some of it is just based on misconstrued shit about Mihawk's character which I simply disagree with and the other shit is just subjective things that you might like and others might now. That is why I said at the start this has nothing to do with judging Mihawk's character writing... but simply why I personally don't like Mihawk anymore, but others might like Mihawk even more now.

So i'm very curious to know your guys' opinion on how y'all feel about Mihawk after Cross Guild, whether you started liking him more or have a similar opinion to mine, etc.

I think this has done a great deal for mihawk. Making him a legit force in the world of one piece and he no longer feels like he exists purely as a goalposts.

His relationship with crocodile and buggy has been great in bringing out the best of all 3 characters as they work towards what they want.

Mihawk wants to live in peace, as such building utopia allows him to do that so why shouldn’t he work to make crocodiles dream a reality?

So i'm very curious to know your guys' opinion on how y'all feel about Mihawk after Cross Guild, whether you started liking him more or have a similar opinion to mine, etc.
The first part explains well how the admiration in him arises, he only cares about himself and does what he wants, but I don't think things have changed by then. He is working with Crocodile to complete his goal, in an impenetrable nation he will have peace.

What can change things, and I agree with you, is that he loses his autonomy. For me, him and Zoro fighting because he's related to Buggy is a mockery of him.

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
To get straight to the point, I just don't like his presentation and his character in the world of One Piece is no longer the same.
Simple and this is all I need to quote because I wholeheartedly agree. Although I won't say I don't like him anymore, a bit rough.

Oda completely fucking destroyed his character with the "Swordsmen duel only" bullshit. Oda should've just made him a fucking enigma which even the strongest in the world fear he may go after them if they are not careful.

He should seek challenges and keep the WSS title. Just like WB and Kaido had their titles and fought everyone. So should Mihawk.

@Xione I feel like Oda's inconsistency is at its full force with Mihawk.

Mihawk before:

"Nfufufu, I feel excited!" - Mihawk's reaction to the Marine fleet surrounding his island and yes I made Ouki pun.

"What a lovely Pirate fleet, let me chase it".

"Marine Hunter".

"World's Strongest".

Mihawk now:

"Awwwww do we really have to interact with the other Yonko? Especially since they are the weakest setup to date?".

"Awwww pwlease don't chase me I want no interruptions when I cook my meals".

"Awww this awww that".

I tried to cope so fucking badly that this is just his personality and he doesn't have to fight everyone because in reality? He really doesn't. He was never a fully fledged pirates and wanted to become a Yonko but in the hindsight it all looks fucking disgusting and annoying.

I tried to cope so fucking badly that this is just his personality and he doesn't have to fight everyone because in reality? He really doesn't. He was never a fully fledged pirates and wanted to become a Yonko but in the hindsight it all looks fucking disgusting and annoying.
When a supposedly top of of the world fighter in a battle shounen refuses any chance to fight anything it can get pretty annoying yes. Even if it fits his personality the people who read battle shounen have distinct wants and needs, one of them is cool fights and feats from their favorite character.

Tbf mihawk never truly was a lone wolf completely and was never supposed to seem like the top dog

Nobody no matter how strong can truly survive the one piece world alone as long as their are other large forces like the emperor, revolutionaries, world government factions, etc. Runners around

1. Mihawk teamed up with crocodile because it benefits them both equally. Be realizes chances of surviving is way less alone and there's a reason he abandoned his home. Along with them having a similar goal of wanting to live peacefully
  2. He became a warlord because it gives him more or less the freedom he wants without having to be chased around by the world government and getting their support instead
  3. Even before he was a warlord he likley wasn't alone. It likely being why he became so distrustful like crocodile called him out for

And yeah mihawk might be strong he was never portrayed top 1
  1. Yeah hes top 1 when it comes to swordsmen and beating him will make zoro the next wss but that's all it really means
  2. There's a reason why its constantly highlighted why to be comparable to roger aka the pirate king surpassing both the emperors and admiral is constantly highlighted
  3. There's also a reason why buggy is the emperor mihawk or crocodile arent
    • Mihawk realized that even with his wss title he'd still be able hide and sneak around in the background relatively unnoticed. Reason being that all eyes will be on buggy due to him being seen as the leader aka emperor
    • Buggy is straight up more ambitious then them and it's due to his ambition and charisma that cross guild will reach its full potential. Crocodile and mihawk's utopia dream is small time in comparison to going after the one piece and they all know that. Buggy is gonna be the one to bring back their old ambitious selves they gave up on for some reason

Simple and this is all I need to quote because I wholeheartedly agree. Although I won't say I don't like him anymore, a bit rough.

Oda completely fucking destroyed his character with the "Swordsmen duel only" bullshit. Oda should've just made him a fucking enigma which even the strongest in the world fear he may go after them if they are not careful.

He should seek challenges and keep the WSS title. Just like WB and Kaido had their titles and fought everyone. So should Mihawk.

@Xione I feel like Oda's inconsistency is at its full force with Mihawk.

Mihawk before:

"Nfufufu, I feel excited!" - Mihawk's reaction to the Marine fleet surrounding his island and yes I made Ouki pun.

"What a lovely Pirate fleet, let me chase it".

"Marine Hunter".

"World's Strongest".

Mihawk now:

"Awwwww do we really have to interact with the other Yonko? Especially since they are the weakest setup to date?".

"Awwww pwlease don't chase me I want no interruptions when I cook my meals".

"Awww this awww that".

Is it any different than Primebeard not wanting to fight Marines, or Blackbeard not wanting to fight Akainu?
Or even Doflamingo fleeing from Tsuru.
There are some people they are not obligated to fight.
Luffy isn't a swordsman and beating Mihawk does not further his goal in anyway.
Same for Blackbeard.
Shanks is a swordsman, but Mihawk has no interest in fighting him now that he doesn't have 2 arms.
Also he literally said he wants to live in peace, why would he want a bunch of marines raiding his island at all times?

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
When a supposedly top of of the world fighter in a battle shounen refuses any chance to fight anything it can get pretty annoying yes. Even if it fits his personality the people who read battle shounen have distinct wants and needs, one of them is cool fights and feats from their favorite character.
I already gave up on Zoro but that's purely because his character really has nothing to cling onto after Wano.

If Mihawk's only fight in the series is Zoro he will be my biggest disappointment.

I'm afraid we won't get Mihawk fighting anyone but some things like Shanks saying CG are powerful because of him. But tbh? Fuck something like this.

Like you said. GIVE ME FUCKING MEAT, give me feats, give me named attacks.
Post automatically merged:

Is it any different than Primebeard not wanting to fight Marines, or Blackbeard not wanting to fight Akainu?
Or even Doflamingo fleeing from Tsuru.
There are some people they are not obligated to fight.
Luffy isn't a swordsman and beating Mihawk does not further his goal in anyway.
Same for Blackbeard.
Shanks is a swordsman, but Mihawk has no interest in fighting him now that he doesn't have 2 arms.
Also he literally said he wants to live in peace, why would he want a bunch of marines raiding his island at all times?
I am just tired of waiting Tesla.

I agree and not.

First and foremost.

Who the fuck besides Top Tiers can harm him?:seriously:

The fodder Marine Fleets should know their place in the food chain after he sinks the entire fleet with one swing.

Oda is not helping us Mihawk fans at all.

As an avid Mihawk fan, I have observed that one of the primary challenges facing his character is the relentless scrutiny from detractors and opponents alike. They often exploit even the slightest details to argue that he is a weak and scared fighter, when in fact, Mihawk is an accomplished swordsman who has set his sights on personal goals and cherishes his independence.

To being:

-> Renowned as an underling of 1 of the four emperors who's backed by major criminal organizations of the world.
-> Following Crocodile's lead and legitimately trying to help Crocodile achieve his goal of Utopia. Where he's now planning with Crocodile to figure out how to attain overwhelming strength.
-> He's not the character who's reached his goal and is just waiting for somebody to contend him, now he himself has a goal in creating a Utopian country that can resist any other power.
I also think you need to look at things in context.

- He single handily bumped an EAST-BLUE captain to Yonko by being on the crew -- major hype that is ignored, in order to become a Yonko not only territory is necessary but also capable commander(s). * Mihawk did this by himself*

I understand your frustrations but ignore the memes and wait it out there's nothing that's truly a threat to Mihawk besides user's insecurities.

I think people are massively jumping the gun on Mihawk and massively misinterpreting his character. Mihawk has always been a little bit of a capricious bully, as Don Krieg can attest. He got excited briefly when the Marines came after him, but went back to being bored and annoyed very quickly because surprise surprise, they can’t give him the satisfaction he desires.

Idk where this whole ‘Croc is leading and Mihawk is just following’ thing came from and why people are mad about it. Mihawk literally does not care about any of this throne wars shit. He never has. The call to make Buggy a figurehead, a significant strategic decision, was also Mihawk’s and the crew’s name aligns closely with Mihawk’s aesthetic and taste, not Crocodile’s. As for why Mihawk stopped being a lone wolf, I see only more interesting possibilities through his reactions to Croc’s sales pitch and Buggy’s crew betraying him. There’s much more going on than meets the eye, people need to just stop coping and drowning in headcanons that didn’t survive the test of time.

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
I think people are massively jumping the gun on Mihawk and massively misinterpreting his character. Mihawk has always been a little bit of a capricious bully, as Don Krieg can attest. He got excited briefly when the Marines came after him, but went back to being bored and annoyed very quickly because surprise surprise, they can’t give him the satisfaction he desires.

Idk where this whole ‘Croc is leading and Mihawk is just following’ thing came from and why people are mad about it. Mihawk literally does not care about any of this throne wars shit. He never has. The call to make Buggy a figurehead, a significant strategic decision, was also Mihawk’s and the crew’s name aligns closely with Mihawk’s aesthetic and taste, not Crocodile’s. As for why Mihawk stopped being a lone wolf, I see only more interesting possibilities through his reactions to Croc’s sales pitch and Buggy’s crew betraying him. There’s much more going on than meets the eye, people need to just stop coping and drowning in headcanons that didn’t survive the test of time.
I agree with almost everything you say about Mihawk but we can't ignore Oda's decline in writing, you can't hope and wish for Oda to not drop the skin around Mihawk.

Realistically only Top Tiers can fight Mihawk, I am not even talking about defeating him.

Marine Fleets should be afraid to approach him. This thing keeps bugging me the most.

He is a Marine Hunter, World's Strongest, and Marine fodders are not afraid to approach him. Oda is either playing double standards or I am missing something.

If I was a leader of that Marine fodder fleet I would be like: "Holy fuck, are they insane? I am not invading a place with a guy who used to stalk our organization on his own".

"Never coming back here without an Admiral at least".

Nikuzi

⚓𝒫𝒾𝓇𝒶𝓉𝑒 𝒬𝓊𝑒𝑒𝓃 𝒮𝑒𝓃𝒸𝒽𝑜𝓊⚓
I agree with almost everything you say about Mihawk but we can't ignore Oda's decline in writing, you can't hope and wish for Oda to not drop the skin around Mihawk.

Realistically only Top Tiers can fight Mihawk, I am not even talking about defeating him.

Marine Fleets should be afraid to approach him. This thing keeps bugging me the most.

He is a Marine Hunter, World's Strongest, and Marine fodders are not afraid to approach him. Oda is either playing double standards or I am missing something.

If I was a leader of that Marine fodder fleet I would be like: "Holy fuck, are they insane? I am not invading a place with a guy who used to stalk our organization on his own".

"Never coming back here without an Admiral at least".
This is one thing I thought as well. There's no doubt that Mihawk would fold most if not all of the marines but we're told that fodder continually kept harassing him, but fodder and even Admirals have pause about fighting Kaido, so why are they not at all scared of Mihawk? It's a bad look.

I think Oda has improved Mihawk and the best is yet to come. Some people literally thought he would ally with Shanks for protection before this. Prior to CG he was essentially a sailing power level with no agency and influence within the story. He was only relevant to Zoro and had no potential fights or backstory to look forward to. Him just sailing along in the background until his inevitable fight with Zoro would be a complete waste of his character.

Mihawk is still the badass powerhouse that's waiting for someone to surpass him, it's just now he's relevant with a goal that supports his personal desires of living in peace on top of influencing the world at large. It'll be hard to relax with a 3.6B bounty on your head, so assisting Croc with his creating a military nation that even the Marines can't mess with is a perfect plan for him to back. Making Buggy the figure head was his plan so he can work in the shadows, he doesn't care about how it looks as long as he can do what he wants. Mihawk not wanting to fight anyone for Buggy's ideals is consistent with his personality and doesn't ruin him.

CG Forces Mihawk out his comfort zone and can cause interesting interactions, in the recent chapter Sengoku says the CG is a real threat that's harming the morale of Marines. This can call for an Admiral fight for him, something that wouldn't happen if he was alone. He has an interesting potential for a backstory since it hints of betrayal as well.

Mihawk can only be ruined for me if he's fighting anyone (especially Zoro) for Buggy's sake.