Speculations The Face of Imu

Do I have your attention? Well, I'm going to hop straight in...

I was recently reading Akira after a couple of years and one of the first few panels caught my attention. The explosion that occurs in Tokyo exactly resembles the one that took place on Lulusia. At first I was just thinking that it was a drawer coincidence and continued to read on...

However, as I continued to read, I saw that coincidences were occurring too frequently and that maybe I had come across the secret of who Imu is and what their appearance will be.

After thorough research, I feel that Imu is not a man, woman, or three trolls stacked on each other's shoulders. My conclusion is that Imu is a child with aspirations to rule the world. A child that was given eternal youth and that has been alive since the Void Century.

During my research I believe I found foreshadowing from Oda to add some basis to this theory.

Sugar was a child who ate the Hobi-Hobi no Mi and had been granted eternal youth. For years she stole the memories from the residents of Dressrosa and single-handedly held an entire kingdom under her control.

Is it safe to say that in reality that is what Imu has done. A whole Void Century exists that the world has zero knowledge of... Except for the various poneglyphs scattered around the world that explains the secrets of the forgotten history. Imu seemly controls an entire world from the shadows without anyone knowing except for a few. I feel these parallels between Sugar and Imu were completely intentional. I think Oda, through Sugar, gave us a tease of Imu before they had even appeared in the story without us knowing.

Moving back to Akira, there are several panels where I feel Oda grabbed inspiration from.

Is it possible Sabo was going to say, "But the Empty Throne wasn't empty!!! I saw... A child sitting on the throne!!!"

I was recently reading Akira after a couple of years and one of the first few panels caught my attention. The explosion that occurs in Tokyo exactly resembles the one that took place on Lulusia. At first I was just thinking that it was a drawer coincidence and continued to read on...

However, as I continued to read, I saw that coincidences were occurring too frequently and that maybe I had come across the secret of who Imu is and what their appearance will be.

After thorough research, I feel that Imu is not a man, woman, or three trolls stacked on each other's shoulders. My conclusion is that Imu is a child with aspirations to rule the world. A child that was given eternal youth and that has been alive since the Void Century.

During my research I believe I found foreshadowing from Oda to add some basis to this theory.

Sugar was a child who ate the Hobi-Hobi no Mi and had been granted eternal youth. For years she stole the memories from the residents of Dressrosa and single-handedly held an entire kingdom under her control.

Is it safe to say that in reality that is what Imu has done. A whole Void Century exists that the world has zero knowledge of... Except for the various poneglyphs scattered around the world that explains the secrets of the forgotten history. Imu seemly controls an entire world from the shadows without anyone knowing except for a few. I feel these parallels between Sugar and Imu were completely intentional. I think Oda, through Sugar, gave us a tease of Imu before they had even appeared in the story without us knowing.

Moving back to Akira, there are several panels where I feel Oda grabbed inspiration from.

Is it possible Sabo was going to say, "But the Empty Throne wasn't empty!!! I saw... A child sitting on the throne!!!"

A great thread. I agree that Imu will be somewhat of a child, be it his physical appearance, or his mindset /perspective whatever. So the culmination of One Piece will be two children duking it out, i think this is a very Oda-style thing to do as the finale. This way, Luffy vs Imu conflict will not feel forced even despite the lack of long-term build-up or foreshadowing. If Oda do this, i think it will be a great moment or reveal, serving as some degree of redemption of his recent hiccups of writing/pacing.

Last edited:
Great theory.

Something to tie in, with the immortality and stack of papers with princesses. I've thought Imu might be some reference to Elizabeth Bathory a bit too. The queen who bathed in the blood of female children to stay young.

From my experience of reading many novels

Vivi is the most suitable to be Imu.

because her character came out early in the story and has a relationship with the MC group.

This kind of final boss feels lonely for being invincible and comes out playing like a weak mortal.

It can create drama, plot twists, etc.

Great

More reasons to belueve the current Imu is from Luffy's generation or maybe 30 years old max!
She's not from ancient times.

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker

Excellent parallels, great catch!
It makes a lot of sense that Imu is a mix of someone with a terrifying ability similar to Sugar's and young Doflamingo that is backed up by the family executives from a young age.
This further supports the theory that Imu is not an obstacle that needs to be defeated like major villains but just a mastermind that works in order to help someone else. The question is who is Imu helping/protecting...