Character Discussion Does G5/Looney Tunes ruin this manga ?

Is G5/Looney Tunes good or bad for this manga

• Good

Votes: 36 36.0%
  • Bad

Votes: 64 64.0%

• Total voters
It was the goofy things like that contributed to my enjoyment of OP, and that is why I like G5. G5 fits perfectly with Luffy's goofy behavior.
Is the Davy Back Fight your favourite arc? Or more precisely, do you prefer Luffy vs Foxy to Luffy vs Crocodile/Lucci/Katakuri?

Somehow it always seems to turn out that those who claim to prefer the “goofy things” don’t seem to actually have them as their favourites for some reason. It’s very odd.
Post automatically merged:

Gear5 is the culmination of Oda's obsession "subverting expectations" , also he solved the problem of One Piece having too many characters by Ignoring almost all of them.
He said himself that all he cares about is having fun while he is drawing , of course G5 is the perfect excuse to just say fuck it now i can draw anything i like lol.

The idea is similar to Sanji's character development post TS , let's take a character quirk and amplify it to the max ( the nosebleeds ), in Luffy's case is being goofy.

It's not random that One Piece volume sales have been declining since the post TS , Oda cares less and less and as a consequence One Piece is worse and worse , Gear5 and Luffy vs Kaido overall is the culmination of the decline.

Fuck the Nika bullshit , it's not fun , no one likes it , those that say they like it dont understand what kind of emotions a narrative climax between 2 Fighters is supposed to invoke.

Try to substitue every One Piece fight with the Nika bullshit and One Piece would have stopped at volume 20 at best
The last sentence is so very true. Even those that claim to love Gear 5 mysteriously go silent when you ask them how it would be if you substituted Gear 5 in the final fight with Crocodile, or Lucci, or in Marineford.

It just suggests to me that most of them understand the tonal issues with Gear 5 but for some reason would rather defend it. It just seems like a “sunk costs fallacy” situation.

It is. The villains demand to be taken seriously with their actions and demeanor, but Luffy who awakened the power to do whatever he wants goes "lol. lmao even." and clowns on them. The juxtaposition between the seriousness of the bad guys and the levity of Luffy after attaining this power is the point.

It's fine to not like it, but it's not a mistake that Oda is making, it's by design.
Just because something is by design doesn’t make it a mistake. An author’s design can indeed be terrible when it undercuts the fundamentals of storytelling.

There is a time and place for levity. Trying to insert that when a character should be at their most serious just doesn’t work.

If an author is concerned that a story is getting too serious then they shouldn’t try to write a serious story in the first place. Opposing elements are opposing in the first place because they don’t fit together by definition.
Even Oda understands that at some level hence his statement…but it’s even inherent in the work itself when most characters aren’t laughing at Nika’s antics. They just look bewildered or terrified because the situations they are in aren’t a laughing matter to begin with.

Last edited:
Is the Davy Back Fight your favourite arc? Or more precisely, do you prefer Luffy vs Foxy to Luffy vs Crocodile/Lucci/Katakuri?

Somehow it always seems to turn out that those who claim to prefer the “goofy things” don’t seem to actually have them as their favourites for some reason. It’s very odd.

The last sentence is so very true. Even those that claim to love Gear 5 mysteriously go silent when you ask them how it would be if you substituted Gear 5 in the final fight with Crocodile, or Lucci, or in Marineford.

It just suggests to me that most of them understand the tonal issues with Gear 5 but for some reason would rather defend it. It just seems like a “sunk costs fallacy” situation.
My favorite, no, but did I enjoy the Davy Back fight? Yes. That wacky arc had laugh-out-loud moments for me. Afro Luffy was great.

I don't know why it is so hard for some of you to understand or accept that some people enjoy G5. It is fine if you don't like it or hate it. That is you. I enjoy it, and I had a good laugh with today's chapter. At the end of the day, we like what we like.

My favorite, no, but did I enjoy the Davy Back fight? Yes. That wacky arc had laugh-out-loud moments for me. Afro Luffy was great.

I don't know why it is so hard for some of you to understand or accept that some people enjoy G5. It is fine if you don't like it or hate it. That is you. I enjoy it, and I had a good laugh with today's chapter. At the end of the day, we like what we like.
I enjoyed the Davy Back fight as well, but it’s pretty telling you can’t even claim it was your favourite fight.

So why isn’t that the case if it’s the “goofy things” that kept you following One Piece? It just shows a disconnect because in practice it turns out that you liked the serious fights more for some reason, so the claim just seems contradictory.
Did you hate the final fight with Crocodile where Luffy did not smile or laugh even once, for example? Did you think the fight would be made better if Luffy was laughing throughout it?

I ask because I also enjoy the goofy moments of One Piece, but obviously I enjoy the serious moments too. Those 2 obviously don’t mix though…so it doesn’t make much sense to me.

People can like or dislike what they wish of course…but it simply calls it into question if those things are inconsistent. That just indicates that something doesn’t add up is all.
it’s why “cognitive dissonance” is a thing.

I love how hardcore Luffy and Oda defenders keep pretending like Gear 5 brought the fun into OP and is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Sry but Luffy's fights had always ridiculous moments that never really bothered anyone, in fact, nearly all of em were hilarious used during an appropriate time and Oda knew when to get back to business again.

This did not ruin Luffy vs Crocodile

This did not ruin Luffy vs Enel

This did not ruin Luffy vs Lucci

This did not ruin Luffy vs Katakuri

Don't pretend like Nika made OP fights fun, that couldn't be further from the truth. If you like the fact that Nika makes people uncomfortable and butthurt, good, that's another thing.

Nobody asked for Luffy to become an edgelord badass demon. In hindsight this guy was really cool. You know Luffy, not sun god Nika or Joyboy.

When was the last time I've even seen Luffy

/thread
Mainly, it's just agenda scalers and Loda angels think this shit is good.

You can see it quite evidently here, Luffy fans think we hate this because he's overpowered here, cause it makes Zoro (or insert any) fans mad, etc.
LOL

While others pretend (lie) that Luffy fights were always like this, which your post completely debunks

I enjoyed the Davy Back fight as well, but it’s pretty telling you can’t even claim it was your favourite fight.

So why isn’t that the case if it’s the “goofy things” that kept you following One Piece? It just shows a disconnect because in practice it turns out that you liked the serious fights more for some reason, so the claim just seems contradictory.
Did you hate the final fight with Crocodile where Luffy did not smile or laugh even once, for example? Did you think the fight would be made better if Luffy was laughing throughout it?

I ask because I also enjoy the goofy moments of One Piece, but obviously I enjoy the serious moments too. Those 2 obviously don’t mix though…so it doesn’t make much sense to me.

People can like or dislike what they wish of course…but it simply calls it into question if those things are inconsistent. That just indicates that something doesn’t add up is all.
it’s why “cognitive dissonance” is a thing.
You are experiencing “cognitive dissonance” because I am not giving you the answer you want, and you are trying to tell me how I should feel or what should be my favorite. That is not how it works, and you don't know me. I don't stick shit I don't like; I will drop it in a heartbeat. You want me to retcon G5 into past fights. I think that is stupid. We don't need to go back that far. For instance, I enjoyed Kaido vs. G5 and the whole of Wano was at stake.

It is okay, bruh. You don't have to like G5 or twist yourself in knots trying to figure out why some people like G5. People like what they like. It is that simple.

You are experiencing “cognitive dissonance” because I am not giving you the answer you want, and you are trying to tell me how I should feel or what should be my favorite. That is not how it works, and you don't know me. I don't stick shit I don't like; I will drop it in a heartbeat. You want me to retcon G5 into past fights. I think that is stupid. We don't need to go back that far. For instance, I enjoyed Kaido vs. G5 and the whole of Wano was at stake.

It is okay, bruh. You don't have to like G5 or twist yourself in knots trying to figure out why some people like G5. People like what they like. It is that simple.
No, cognitive dissonance is when 2 opposing beliefs are held at the same time. Your claim wasn’t consistent which is why I was questioning it.

I simply asked you to consider how Gear 5 would play out in previous fights, and the pushback only reveals that at some level you understand why the gear 5 behaviour doesn’t work in those situations.
If it were fine then you should have no problem gushing about how much you’d love it if those fights were just like gear 5 which you profess to love.

Like I said, something simply doesn’t add up.
It’s good for you that you liked gear 5 vs Kaido, but how does that compare to Luffy vs Crocodile? Those fights are pretty significant opposites. Luffy vs Foxy would be a more apt comparison to gear 5 yet it seems it somehow didn’t make the cut for you for the undeniable best fight even though you claimed that is why you’ve enjoyed One Piece all this time.

You apparently didn’t drop One Piece all this time that Oda has been having the most serious moments in final fights with villains….so why the disconnect?
The question wasn’t whether you’d drop the series or anything like that.

People like what they like…but people can even claim to like things they really don’t and vice versa. People are interesting that way and I never disputed that. I’m just trying to understand what I see as a discordant claim because it reveals interesting things about people.
One of those is that people can like a thing not for the thing itself but because of extraneous reasons.

Nikuzi

⚓𝒫𝒾𝓇𝒶𝓉𝑒 𝒬𝓊𝑒𝑒𝓃 𝒮𝑒𝓃𝒸𝒽𝑜𝓊⚓
No, cognitive dissonance is when 2 opposing beliefs are held at the same time. Your claim wasn’t consistent which is why I was questioning it.

I simply asked you to consider how Gear 5 would play out in previous fights, and the pushback only reveals that at some level you understand why the gear 5 behaviour doesn’t work in those situations.
If it were fine then you should have no problem gushing about how much you’d love it if those fights were just like gear 5 which you profess to love.

It’s good for you that you liked gear 5 vs Kaido, but how does that compare to Luffy vs Crocodile? Those fights are pretty significant opposites. Luffy vs Foxy would be a more apt comparison to gear 5 yet it seems it somehow didn’t make the cut for you for the undeniable best fight even though you claimed that is why you’ve enjoyed One Piece all this time.

You apparently didn’t drop One Piece all this time that Oda has been having the most serious moments in final fights with villains….so why the disconnect?

People like what they like…but people can even claim to like things they really don’t and vice versa. People are interesting that way and I never disputed that. I’m just trying to understand what I see as a discordant claim because it reveals interesting things about people.
One of those is that people can like a thing not for the thing itself but because of extraneous reasons.
Gear 5 doesn't work in older fights because Luffy wasn't strong enough to just clown all over everyone. He's been an underdog for the entire manga, so when he awakens his power to do whatever he wants its now fun to me to see him shit on all these self serious bad guys.

Gear 5 doesn't work in older fights because Luffy wasn't strong enough to just clown all over everyone. He's been an underdog for the entire manga, so when he awakens his power to do whatever he wants it’s now fun to me to see him shit on all these self serious bad guys.
That doesn’t really work since the main issues people have with it have nothing to do with strength.
Even when Luffy was far stronger than his opponent like Bellamy, the same criticisms would still stand because moments when a character should be serious are just inherently different from when they should be goofing off.

Charloss was a complete weakling, but Luffy wasn’t laughing when he shot Hachi. I’m sure it doesn’t need to be pointed out that people would criticize that moment if Luffy was bouncing on the floor going “Aya ha ha.”

People were obviously satisfied with the moment and no laughter or gear 5 antics were needed.
The simple point is that there are moments for fun and moments that should be not fun…and the climax of a fight is typically the latter, not the former.

It’s just as jarring as if Luffy had a serious scowl on his face throughout an arc party with everyone else having fun and laughing. It shouldn’t even need to be said when it’s just instinctual to human nature itself.

Nikuzi

⚓𝒫𝒾𝓇𝒶𝓉𝑒 𝒬𝓊𝑒𝑒𝓃 𝒮𝑒𝓃𝒸𝒽𝑜𝓊⚓
That doesn’t really work since the main issues people have with it have nothing to do with strength.
Even when Luffy was far stronger than his opponent like Bellamy, the same criticisms would still stand because moments when a character should be serious are just inherently different from when they should be goofing off.

Charloss was a complete weakling, but Luffy wasn’t laughing when he shot Hachi. I’m sure it doesn’t need to be pointed out that people would criticize that moment if Luffy was bouncing on the floor going “Aya ha ha.”

People were obviously satisfied with the moment and no laughter or gear 5 antics were needed.
The simple point is that there are moments for fun and moments that should be not fun…and the climax of a fight is typically the latter, not the former.

It’s just as jarring as if Luffy had a serious scowl on his face throughout an arc party with everyone else having fun and laughing. It shouldn’t even need to be said when it’s just instinctual to human nature itself.
It works for me. I like that Luffy shits on all the villains that are oh so serious in comical ways. I don't care about how other people feel about it. The juxtaposition between Luffy being silly while the villains are trying their hardest seriously is entertaining to me. Opposites can work, that's what juxtaposition is. You keep saying that it doesn't make sense that a fun thing is happening at the same thing as a serious thing, but that's the point. It's used often in literature. You don't have to like it like I said before, but it can work and it does for many people. Not going to continue this convo after this because there's clearly no point to it, but your opinion isn't the end all and more people off this forum like gear 5 and the insane shit it does than those that dislike it. Have a good one.

:kayneshrug:

Last edited:

:milaugh:I don't see the point in retconning G5 into past fights. If I retcon G5 into past fights, Crocodile, Lucci, Doffy, Katakuri, and the rest are getting their ass beat a hell of a lot quicker because even if you take out the gags, G5 is too overpowered for those characters. It would be no competition. Marineford would be different because Luffy in G5 would raise holy hell to save Ace. He would unleash toon force like no other on Marineford, can you imagine that shit. If done right, it would be off-the- fucking-chain crazy, and I would fucking enjoy it.:steef: Hell, by the time he reached Kaido, Luffy would have complete mastery of G5, and the Kaido fight would not have lasted as long. If Oda was a dark writer, whoo boy, the absolute chaos and horror, G5 Luffy could do while laughing like a manic.

The introduction of G5 Luffy that early in the story, and Luffy and gang would have found the one piece years ago.

I love how hardcore Luffy and Oda defenders keep pretending like Gear 5 brought the fun into OP and is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Sry but Luffy's fights had always ridiculous moments that never really bothered anyone, in fact, nearly all of em were hilarious used during an appropriate time and Oda knew when to get back to business again.

This did not ruin Luffy vs Crocodile

This did not ruin Luffy vs Enel

This did not ruin Luffy vs Lucci

This did not ruin Luffy vs Katakuri

Don't pretend like Nika made OP fights fun, that couldn't be further from the truth. If you like the fact that Nika makes people uncomfortable and butthurt, good, that's another thing.

Nobody asked for Luffy to become an edgelord badass demon. In hindsight this guy was really cool. You know Luffy, not sun god Nika or Joyboy.

When was the last time I've even seen Luffy
Read this post @Sentinel
Nika's main problem is he always embarassed his opponents and made them look silly. Jumping rope Kaido, pizza Kizaru, dodging Lucci and Saturn while sleeping, homerun Goroseis.

Good old pre TS Luffy had silly but funny moment without actually making the opponents look like clowns. While Nika always made others look bad just for whatever reason. Looney tunes bullshit.

As much as edgy G5 doesn't sound so good neither but it won't drag the others down like what Nika always does.

Only die hard fanboys who ate Luffy dicks more than actual food will defend this Nika crap, and I hope you aren't part of them.