What series are you watching ?

Since i couldnt find any new series i rewatched Dark.
What a fucking M A S T E R P I E C E.

I really cant understand why people dont talk about this show or it didnt become mainstream. Its miles ahead of Stranger Things.
The creators were either high, geniuses or both idk.
Creators did 1899 but show was cancelled after one season...

Decided to give Doctor Who a go
9th run was ok
10th run was cool
11th run is a bit meh to me, maybe less because of the Doctor and more because of the stories, don't really like most of the plots
Still didn't get to the 12th, hope his run is good, I heard some good feedback about those

I don't know about Shogun. I'm still trying to get through the first episode that I keep putting on pause... I feel like there is a lack of great characters. There are these anglos that I couldn't care less about and the Japanese that seem to be playing the game of politics... but it doesn't grab my curiosity for now. Maybe it's the kind of show that takes time to flesh out its plot... I'll eventually see........

I don't know about Shogun. I'm still trying to get through the first episode that I keep putting on pause... I feel like there is a lack of great characters. There are these anglos that I couldn't care less about and the Japanese that seem to be playing the game of politics... but it doesn't grab my curiosity for now. Maybe it's the kind of show that takes time to flesh out its plot... I'll eventually see........
I would say it's that kind of show. I loved the book, I've read it about 10 years ago, so I knew what to expect, and it's a good adaptation (which is not an easy feat!).

It's sort of slow, Anjin is trying to understand the Japanese culture, while Toranaga tries to stay alive and win against his enemies without too much bloodshed. The story is based on irl English pilot getting into Japan, just as Tokugawa was rising to power to rule over Japan for over 250 years.

I loved it, my friends like it, my bf liked it, but I understand it's not for everyone.

I would say it's that kind of show. I loved the book, I've read it about 10 years ago, so I knew what to expect, and it's a good adaptation (which is not an easy feat!).

It's sort of slow, Anjin is trying to understand the Japanese culture, while Toranaga tries to stay alive and win against his enemies without too much bloodshed. The story is based on irl English pilot getting into Japan, just as Tokugawa was rising to power to rule over Japan for over 250 years.

I loved it, my friends like it, my bf liked it, but I understand it's not for everyone.
Well thanks for the hindsight. I'll keep watching anyways. I'm paused halfway through episode 1 for now, lol

You think so? I dont think it is a good adaptation.
Characters were changed for the worse without any legitimate reason, the philosophical clash of Western individualism and Eastern collectivism and the principles of karma and duty were almost completely ignored or simplified and dumbed down, character relationships hardly made sense...

The novel and also the 80s shows made an in-depth analysis of benefits and drawbacks of the different cultures, this show depicted Japan as utter bleak with a buffoon foreigner questioning everything and hardly learning anything.
Of course expecting a 10 hour show to adapt a 1000+ page novel is not realistic, you have to cut down, but that should not be what made the novel special in the first place.

You think so? I dont think it is a good adaptation.
Characters were changed for the worse without any legitimate reason, the philosophical clash of Western individualism and Eastern collectivism and the principles of karma and duty were almost completely ignored or simplified and dumbed down, character relationships hardly made sense...

The novel and also the 80s shows made an in-depth analysis of benefits and drawbacks of the different cultures, this show depicted Japan as utter bleak with a buffoon foreigner questioning everything and hardly learning anything.
Of course expecting a 10 hour show to adapt a 1000+ page novel is not realistic, you have to cut down, but that should not be what made the novel special in the first place.
I haven't seen the original adaptation, but with this one they achieved similar mood as I felt when I was reading the book. Ofc they changed the characters and events to make a better cinematic experience, but it felt more or less natural within the show for me.

So while books rule supreme, as usual, I still believe it was a good show and I liked the way they made it.