General & Others What are the storylines and moments that were supposed to move you but didn't ?

Am I the only who liked Oden? Sure he did have the Sieghart Caesar effect (Every in the show wanking a specific character) but he was okay.
Post automatically merged:

When Ace died, it was just lame and irrational.
That was a moment that was supposed to make people sad, but the moment was ruined by what happened before, Ace being baited and killed by Akainu in front of his squad, after all they did for him.
Aces death made Sienese character wise even if it was a dumb move

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Oden's death failed to move me due to the contrived circumstances that led up to it, and the fact it was a result of Oden's unwillingness to ask for aid. The latter point wouldn't be an issue if the story made more of an attempt to acknowledge Oden's character flaw, but instead it reaffirms and sides with him.

corazon flashback.
was mid

and ace.
overated, but thats also bcus I dont really like ace.

wb death was way way better.
This.

I was shocked that Ace died, but was not really sad. I felt sorry for Luffy more than anything when it happened.

WB's death, although foreseeable, still came across as sad for me.

In recent years, Oden is an obvious choice. It's always going to be difficult to sympathize with a Gary Stu or a Mary Sue.

Also, I think whenever Momonosuke tried to assume leadership of his homeland, I couldn't really care. I found characters with smaller and more personal reasons in the current Wano War like Hiyori and the 9 Scabbards to be more compelling to follow.

i don't know why ppl are saying Ace ???? when was Ace's death supposed to be a tragedy ???

For me here are all the moments I cried in OP :

- Luffy vs Usopp
- Merry burning
- LUFFY CRYING TO ACE'S DEATH (didn't care about Ace but seeing Luffy scream and cry was too much as a moment , that was the point of the scene is that you feel bad for the MC)
- Doflamingo's past (i guess Law and Corozon too)
- The Brulee and Katakuri stuff, dont ask me but I really felt bad for Brulee
- And obviously the most recent smile Ebisu town shit was so heartbreaking

Pedro's sacrifice was straight up boring.

I) First of all, the death itself makes no sense. Alabasta scrub Pell can tank a city obliterating bomb but Pedro and Perospero, two New World veterans, somehow die and lose a limb respectively to a few sticks of dynamite?

II) Secondly, besides Carrot (whose presence barely contributed anything legitimately meaningful to WCI), Pedro was the most "just there" character. His character was not explored well at all, any apparent subplots that involved him went nowhere (e.g. his rivalry with Tamago, his lost years and his interaction with Pumpkin Head).

The only thing that Oda did focus on with Pedro was his self-sacrificing nature which just made his eventual sacrifice rather expected and it was not even a unique character attribute for Pedro during WCI Arc since Jinbe was also continuously spouting the same selfless, asinine drivel throughout the entire arc.

III) Third, the flashback between Pedro and Carrot was completely forced. At no point before Pedro's death did Carrot and Pedro have a single meaningful interaction with each other that portrayed a close relationship. They had all the chemistry of poorly acquainted co-workers in an office block.

IV) Oda's tendency to bring characters back from situations that by all rights should have undoubtedly killed them just adds to the disbelief that Pedro was actually dead, especially considering that Pedro should not have died from that explosion.

Pell survived his supposed sacrifice, Bon Clay survived his supposed sacrifice, Pagaya survived Enel.

Even now, Pound has just magically survived an impossible situation. How am I supposed to take Pedro's sacrifice seriously again?

All of this combined makes for a pretty emotionless sacrifice. Back on OJ, most folk I remember either did not care that Pedro sacrificed himself or did not actually believed that he died.

Oh boy this is going to be a looong list....
*The worlds smallest violin is played over Sarah McLachlan’s Angel*

-The Orange Town townspeople and their stupid mayor and that mangy mutt Chouchou.

-Kaya, literally the human manifestation of a John Green novel complete with the wealth and sickliness of every teen drama cliche ever...

“How will I ever dry my lonely orphan tears with these wads of cash?”

-Vivi, she is one of my least favorite characters due to her paper thin characterization and her generic motivations. It wouldn’t surprise me if by the end of the series she’ll be able to turn water into wine while sitting on the Empty Throne watching Luffy deck Imu in the face screaming “PLEASE STOP FIGHTING”. Gotta hand it to her though, she is the original Tear Bender.

-The Shandorians. Annoying, aggravating and unlikable characters created for the purpose of plot with deluded and inconsequential character motivations. Annoyingly stubborn and meatheaded, especially Wyper. I repeat for the sake of clarity, especially Wyper. A Japanese 30-somethings watered down idea of native/indigenous people. Just watch Dances with Wolves and you can skip every single scene with the Shandorians.

“You innocent people from the Blue Sea world are my enemies because I’m dumb stupid native man who doesn’t understand worldly complexities! Grrrr”

-The Franky Family and Water Seven “dying” in Enies Lobby. Inadvertently, on my initial viewing of the series I skipped every scene that featured them in Enies Lobby, so I had no idea about the fake out death in the first place. Oda truly does not know how to write good fake out deaths. Building fake tension with tertiary characters is not the way to go. But clearly, what do I know? The man is making bank.

-Brook and Laboon. Unpopular opinion, I know.
It’s stupid and I don’t care about a seemingly immortal whale holding mortals to the standards of gods to survive the GL and return to him. Plus, it just feels so childish... Maybe if Laboon was a human child at the time and now he’s an old man? Also, with Brook now being a world famous musician and Laboon knowing he’s alive, the reunion between them isn’t going to be nearly as impactful.

-Ace..... As others have stated, Ace’s death was just bad. Why would he get so incensed over Akainu trash talking WB? How many times has Ace surely heard enemies trash talking WB and his crew? Especially after all the effort thousands of people put into trying to save him. It was half assed and low effort in my opinion.

“Don’t talk about my dada like that!! GOO GOO GA GA!!”

-Fishmen. Just Fishmen. Refer to my aforementioned assessment of Oda being a 40-something Japanese man trying to write about racism without a clear understanding of the underlying systemic roots of racism. I really liked Otohime and Fisher Tiger but overall it was half assed and surface level.

-G-5 sacrificing themselves on Punk Hazard.

-Dressrosa, the whole tragedy of Dressrosa in general.

-The Minks being exterminated by Jack, it tried so hard to tug at my heart strings but it just didn’t.

-Wano, the whole tragedy of Wano in general.