General & Others What are the storylines and moments that were supposed to move you but didn't ?

When Sabo regains his memory back:crazwhat:
I felt terribly bad for this man.

Brotherhood isn't just by blood, but by bond. Same as with Luffy. Sabo basically lost a brother just like Luffy did.

And seeing Luffy's reaction, Sabo's was even much different, way more contained. Partially because of his personality, partially because he didn't see him die before his eyes.

Destiny wanted the two remaining brothers could at least meet again one day. Destiny deprived them of a brother but also gave them one back.

Oh boy this is going to be a looong list....
*The worlds smallest violin is played over Sarah McLachlan’s Angel*

-The Orange Town townspeople and their stupid mayor and that mangy mutt Chouchou.

-Kaya, literally the human manifestation of a John Green novel complete with the wealth and sickliness of every teen drama cliche ever...

“How will I ever dry my lonely orphan tears with these wads of cash?”

-Vivi, she is one of my least favorite characters due to her paper thin characterization and her generic motivations. It wouldn’t surprise me if by the end of the series she’ll be able to turn water into wine while sitting on the Empty Throne watching Luffy deck Imu in the face screaming “PLEASE STOP FIGHTING”. Gotta hand it to her though, she is the original Tear Bender.

-The Shandorians. Annoying, aggravating and unlikable characters created for the purpose of plot with deluded and inconsequential character motivations. Annoyingly stubborn and meatheaded, especially Wyper. I repeat for the sake of clarity, especially Wyper. A Japanese 30-somethings watered down idea of native/indigenous people. Just watch Dances with Wolves and you can skip every single scene with the Shandorians.

“You innocent people from the Blue Sea world are my enemies because I’m dumb stupid native man who doesn’t understand worldly complexities! Grrrr”

-The Franky Family and Water Seven “dying” in Enies Lobby. Inadvertently, on my initial viewing of the series I skipped every scene that featured them in Enies Lobby, so I had no idea about the fake out death in the first place. Oda truly does not know how to write good fake out deaths. Building fake tension with tertiary characters is not the way to go. But clearly, what do I know? The man is making bank.

-Brook and Laboon. Unpopular opinion, I know.
It’s stupid and I don’t care about a seemingly immortal whale holding mortals to the standards of gods to survive the GL and return to him. Plus, it just feels so childish... Maybe if Laboon was a human child at the time and now he’s an old man? Also, with Brook now being a world famous musician and Laboon knowing he’s alive, the reunion between them isn’t going to be nearly as impactful.

-Ace..... As others have stated, Ace’s death was just bad. Why would he get so incensed over Akainu trash talking WB? How many times has Ace surely heard enemies trash talking WB and his crew? Especially after all the effort thousands of people put into trying to save him. It was half assed and low effort in my opinion.

“Don’t talk about my dada like that!! GOO GOO GA GA!!”

-Fishmen. Just Fishmen. Refer to my aforementioned assessment of Oda being a 40-something Japanese man trying to write about racism without a clear understanding of the underlying systemic roots of racism. I really liked Otohime and Fisher Tiger but overall it was half assed and surface level.

-G-5 sacrificing themselves on Punk Hazard.

-Dressrosa, the whole tragedy of Dressrosa in general.

-The Minks being exterminated by Jack, it tried so hard to tug at my heart strings but it just didn’t.

-Wano, the whole tragedy of Wano in general.
I can understand allot of these but your a heartless monster if you didn’t feel bad for Chouchou And even though Ace’s death made mad the first time around it makes sense given his character, relationship with Whitebeard, and his whole search for blackbeard

Last edited:
I can understand allot of these but your a heart press monster if you didn’t feel bad for Chouchou And even though Ace’s death made mad the first time around it makes sense given his character, relationship with Whitebeard, and his whole search for blackbeard
And you must 8 years old if you really felt bad for a dog that could’ve just minded it’s own business and not harassed the Buggy Pirates. Chouchou is a total Karen and you know it.
Post automatically merged:

Mother Caramel
Oden & his whole clan
Pedro uselessly blowing himself up (AKA pulling a Chiaotzu)
You were never supposed to be moved by Mother Carmel, you were supposed to be shocked and disturbed. It was a subversion of flashback/backstory expectations.

Last edited:
There are many examples, the latest one in 995. Even though the Nami moment at the end was meant to be powerful, there wasn’t enough of an emotional build up for me leading up to it, so it didn’t have the intended effect. The whole sequence was portrayed in more of comedic than dramatic light. She already had a similar moment in WCI, which I actually prefer. I also didn’t care much for Chopper’s backstory on Drum Island, though I know it’s well-liked. Brook and Laboon as well. Rebecca’s backstory. The plight of Skypeia. Sabo’s return. Pedro’s death. The Oden flashback, which is my least favourite in the series. Saying goodbye to the Merry also affected me considerably less than many readers. Etc.

As for my personnal opinion, since I made this thread without giving it, it this :

I wasn't really moved by Merry's funeral, by many of the things supposed to be sad in East Blue or by Ace and Oden's deaths. I found Vivi to be rather annoying and cringy with her cries and screaming people to stop to fight, same for Pound and his daughters and Sabo's forced memory issue.

While I felt a bit sad for Luffy I was far from crying for Ace after the cringy issue of him wondering if he deserved to live and how stupidely he ruined all the efforts and sacrifices his brother and friends did for him just over petty insults from Akainu. Pretty much the same for Oden who did noble things but also many stupid things and whose overwank and presentation of him as a semi-messiah is frankly annoying.