Character Discussion Akainu’s Tattoo & Flower Symbolism - Akainu’s Philosophy on Justice Explored

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Just hear to say that Akainu did nothing wrong when he blew up the civilian ships in Ohara. And that any Marine who doesn’t follow absolute justice is a burden to the organization as a whole (Fujitora, Coby, ect).
People like Aokiji weren’t a burden I’d say, but actively insubordinate members will weaken any organization lol.

Z
People like Aokiji weren’t a burden I’d say, but actively insubordinate members will weaken any organization lol.
Aokiji cool since he followed orders even if he disagreed. Fujitora bowing infront of King Riku and talking back to Akainu was mad disrespectful and I’m hoping Akainu fists the blind cripple at some point. He’s outta control.

This is what I call a well done thread
:cheers:
Probably is off topic, but Sakazuki always reminded me of Capitan Vidal from Pan's Labyrinth, if you never saw this movie I suggest you to do so
I'm sure you'll find a lot of similarities between Vidal and Sakazuki
Do you mean in conduct or in character?

Because I don't think Akainu is the type to
bash a civilian's face in
for something like talking back at him.

Regardless, you brought up an interesting point. :kata:

Do you mean in conduct or in character?

Because I don't think Akainu is the type to
bash a civilian's face in
for something like talking back at him.

Regardless, you brought up an interesting point. :kata:
They're both military types, with violent and absolute tendencies. They both see the world in white or black, no gray area inbetween. They both seem to be inclined to tradition (Vidal with his watch obsession, Sakazuki not being prone to changes). Aesthetically too they share some similarities imo.

Sakazuki destroyed a civilian ship cause there was the possibility that some Ohara academics had survived, he's not that far from Vidal's actions imo.
But I see your point, Vidal seems to enjoy cruelty more than Sakazuki, who has a moral code (even if twisted)

Last edited:

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Another thing I forgot to mention in the OP:

Looking at both Akainu’s Admiral attire:

And his Fleet Admiral attire:

Notice that the Flowers on Akainu’s clothes, are only present on the inside of his clothes. In other words, they are underneath the surface. This also supports the idea that Akainu’s underlying motive is his desire to create a more beautiful world as discussed in the OP.

Just a brief bump to this thread really. Lol

Another thing I forgot to mention in the OP:

Looking at both Akainu’s Admiral attire:

And his Fleet Admiral attire:

Notice that the Flowers on Akainu’s clothes, are only present on the inside of his clothes. In other words, they are underneath the surface. This also supports the idea that Akainu’s underlying motive is his desire to create a more beautiful world as discussed in the OP.

Just a brief bump to this thread really. Lol
That and his love for a woman he loved mom aunt grandma cousin sister or a bad bitch

Volcanoes lay down new Rocks and soil as you’ve said.

Sakazuki’s actions gave birth to a New Age Rocks. He was shown burning the WB fleet ships and The Moby Dick. Thus ending WBs era and burning half his face.
  • Luffy sees Ace die. Trains harder under Rayleigh. And Zoro the new WSS by Proxy.
  • Akainu folded WB, BB finished the rest
  • BB becomes Yonko.
  • Luffy emerges against the new Rocks to have his battle against Kaido/BM
  • This battle will parallel the Roger/Garp vs Rocks/WB/BM/Kaido/Shiki.
  • Coincidentally the members involved are also the same.
  • Rocks Will - BB
  • Rogers Will - Luffy
  • WB/BM/Kaido involved.
  • And Shiki ~ Kid obviously (all talk, but no bite)

Akainu is a Top Dog and will be very important in the final war arc.

I think Akainu was once a simp who got his heart broken to pieces. Him taking care of these plants is the only remaining part of his past and it is to remind him how harsh the world can be.
So now he's a badass douche and when he needs to kill innocent citizen or his fellow marines he just looks at his rose on his chest and it reminds him that even beautiful rose has thorns that can hurt.
And then he lets his sociopath mind take control and kills every motherfucker that stands in his way.

I will keep this brief and to the point lol. So I had planned to do this post in the past, and I wanted to do a post on my speculations about Akainu’s tattoo and how it relates to his overall character. I was thinking about the time Oda drew Akainu gardening:

And I remember thinking how weird it was that Oda drew a character like Akainu caring for plant life lol. I mean, this is the guy who sunk a ship full of innocent civilians to prevent a single criminal from escaping among them. You’re telling me this guy raises and nurtures plants?

Akainu also wears a rose as part of his Admiral attire:

And his overall design seems to be around a theme of gardening.
1. His Flower tattoo
2. Flowers being all over his Admiral attire
3. The fact that he spends time gardening

So, what gives? What is Oda getting at here?

I decided to do some research into Volcanos, to see if there was some kind of connection between Volcanos and Vegetation.

And I was very impressed with what I found:

According to just one source:

“Volcanoes can be destructive, but volcanic action can lead to the formation of fertile soils. Volcanic activity is traditionally associated with the destruction of lives and property because events such as eruption can decimate all living things. However, the process of eruption is characterized by different processes which ultimately lead to the formation of new materials including rocks and soil with volcanic soils formed through this process. They are among the most fertile in the world.”

Now I’m no geologist, so without getting too scientific, the results of my research is that Volcanic Eruptions, while extremely destructive, are also capable of producing extremely fertile soil, which can result in lush vegetation and beautiful plant-life.

Thinking about this on a deeper level, I think this is the reason Oda gave Akainu a Magma Devil Fruit. On a symbolic level, Akainu’s incredibly destructive Devil Fruit is meant to represent his brutal philosophy of Thorough Justice: that evil must be obliterated without a trace.

However, much like Volcanic eruptions can eventually produce new plants and vegetation (in other words, life), I think Akainu’s goal isn’t destruction for destruction’s sake, but rather is destruction in the name of a better world, and ultimately of new life.

Akainu believes that only by thoroughly destroying all evil, can a world of good be born. Akainu does care for life on some level, as illustrated by the symbolism around his “Flower” theme. Flowers are typically associated with beauty, much like the world Akainu envisions as a result of his actions. At least, this is what I think.

I think Akainu has a great character design. His appearance, Devil Fruit, and character are all meant to serve as symbolic representation of who he is as a character, and his philosophies on Justice and the creation of a better, more beautiful world.

TL;DR-Akainu is LITERALLY THE THANOS OF ONE PIECE COME TO SNAP THE YONKO OUT OF EXISTENCE a really well-designed character.

@Light D Lamperouge @HA001 @Blackbeard @Owl Ki @Sentinel @playa4321 @Bogard @Garp the Fist @Van @Luthon etc etc etc
Great post.This sums up Akainu's character perfectly.