Questions & Mysteries Are "Admiral Candidates" Canon?

Admiral Candidates?

• Canon

• Oda was just humouring a fan in the SBS

• Eh, IDK

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐒𝐫𝐒𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
β€Ž
As I understand it, the "Admiral Candidates" (Tokikake and Gion) were fan made VAs that Oda decided to make canon.

However, neither of them have ever been referred to as "Admiral Candidates" in the manga itself. The term "Admiral Candidates" or other references to the concept doesn't seem to have appeared anywhere in the manga.

That said, there does seem to be a Zodiac theme with the Admirals that has been continued with some of the VAs. Whether these Zodiac VAs are actually candidates for Admiral promotion is as far as I can tell, still up in the air.

Is the fandom getting ahead of itself here?

They were called Admiral Candidates in SBS, but that was before They were added to Manga
Oda simply kept their Names, Designs & Rank, but it doesn't necessarily mean He also kept their "Admiral Candidates" Part

He actually called them Admiral Candidates, cuz They were suggested by Fans to be Admirals
So you could say that They are Fan-Made Characters, that Oda didn't mind drawing in Manga

If not canon, imo, at this point they are as good as canon anyways, since Kuroume was introduced, which basically confirmed the Zodiac theme.

Doesn't mean they're almost Admiral levels though. It just means they're ahead of the other VAs.

Would also be better for the manga if the zodiac theme is actually true and that the zodiac marines are actually more competent (ranging from YC3-YC1) than the other VAs introduced, which at this point are fodders comparing to the top fighters of our protagonists.

For now they are just super strong high high tier Vice Admirals
Basically that, though.

Even if they were candidates, they were ultimately discarded.
Post automatically merged:

If not canon, imo, at this point they are as good as canon anyways, since Kuroume was introduced, which basically confirmed the Zodiac theme.
Same for me.

Tensei's existence demonstrated they are not just some strange easter egg.

They are not until stated otherwise
The two were actual candidates for replacing Ryo & Fuji in Oda’s plans, nothing of the sort was mentioned in the actual story.

For now they are just super strong high high tier Vice Admirals

They both appeared in the Manga lol... ofc they are cannon. They were sitting on the table with Garp and Hina etc. Talking about Rocks D Xebec. And they werent the only Candidats so many people are misinterpreting the sbs there were more Candidats they were just "2 of some more"

They both appeared in the Manga lol... ofc they are cannon. They were sitting on the table with Garp and Hina etc. Talking about Rocks D Xebec. And they werent the only Candidats so many people are misinterpreting the sbs there were more Candidats they were just "2 of some more"
Them being actual Admiral candidates in the manga itself is not canon as far as we know, they were just part of Oda’s early sketches and he originally intended to make them the Admirals in place of Fuji and Ryo.

And they werent the only Candidats so many people are misinterpreting the sbs there were more Candidats they were just "2 of some more"
Btw, where was that said? I checked the SBS:

- Momousagi: "...the vice-admiral, that's right! That person who was an admiral candidate, her, right?"

- Chaton: "The guy that, like Momousagi, was nominated to be an admiral; this (β†’) guy, Vice Admiral "Chaton", right?!..."

Where this "of some more" came from?

Last edited:
Momonga is one of the weakest,I don't get the hype from many people concerning him..The man was the only one trembling from WB gura shockwave

Tf? Lol look the hype Oda gave him post Ts in his Databook... Oda never cared about Powerprogression and if you wanna talk about feats look at Blackbeards lvl 6 Commanders who got one tapped by Boa Hancock and look how Pre Ts Momonga managed to withstand her...
https://flic.kr/p/2oTzniM
hes currently the Boss of G1 main Marinebase after Akainus thx to his Powerlvl which got hyped in the Databook (the other Vice Admirals didnt recieve that kind of hype btw) his position is above any VA except Tsuru/Garp lol.

Basically that, though.

Even if they were candidates, they were ultimately discarded.
Post automatically merged:

Same for me.

Tensei's existence demonstrated they are not just some strange easter egg.
The fact that Tensei, Gion and Tokikake have 2 names just like the rest of the admirals, highly suggests they are pseudo-Admiral level Marines.

Last edited:
The only thing I could find is the info from Arthur

So no I wouldn't really get hyped just by that.
When Oda decides to show in manga stainless doberman and momonga side by side and he is shown as the only on trembling I can't put him at the top VAs.