Versus Battle Black Clover vs My Hero Academia

R1: Which one is better? / R2: Which one do you enjoy more? / R3: Better villain? / R4: Better MC?

• Total voters
If I compare when my enjoyments of both were at their peak, My Hero Academia for sure but I think currently Black Clover takes it. Art-wise, I prefer My Hero overall but for action, I'd give it to Black Clover.

As far as main characters go, I liked Midoriya a lot early on but as the series continued, I stopped enjoying him as much. Asta has always been alright.

As far as themes go, I'd take My Hero. It's idea of what it means to be a hero and how having a quirk isn't all there is to it was pretty enjoyable to me. Having the attributes befitting of a Hero being incredibly important as well (from Midoriya having the mentality to always rush in and help or even around the time time Shigaraki could've used support from literally anyone as as kid) and not just strength. Though a lot of aspects of the story were kinda iffy, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Endeavour and All Might are pretty much always enjoyable to read even if Endeavour was pretty terrible and abusive. His journey trying to atone has been quite nice and his fights are usually good. All Might's been amazing, stepping on to the scene and saving the day even in his last moments as All Might. Seeing Toshinori focusing more on fitting a mentor role once his days as All Might were numbered was nice as well. Yami's always pretty great as well.

I was more invested in My Hero overall but the last couple arcs have kinda disappointed and I look forward to where Black Clover is headed.

I enjoy Lucius more than All For One definitely. All For One has some nice lines and moments here and there but Lucius just interests me more and I feel like he won't disappoint even when we see more of him.

As for supporting cast, I enjoy both equally cause I'm not crazy about either but guys like Finral and Monoma keep me interested when they get focus.

Overhaul was my favourite villain from either show. I probably enjoyed My Hero's villains more on average though I was never crazy about the League of Villains (Dabi and Twice were cool). From Black Clover's side, I liked Zenon quite a lot.

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
Both have interesting plots and stories imo. I am quite fond of superheroes and wizards alike, so it's hard for me to choose here. Some plot revelations in BC that I don't wanna spoil in case anyone wants to check it out, make me side with BC here.

With main characters I include like the standard trio here, so Asta Yuno and Noelle vs Deku Bakugo and Uraraka ig. And it's a clear stomp for Black Clover's side. Noelle alone is better than the entirety of MHA's main characters put together lmao.

Asta can be annoying and irritating at times, but Deku is much worse and Asta has never annoyed me to the extent Deku has. So Asta takes it.

Yuno vs Bakugo used to be close for me, but Bakugo has been done dirty recently and forgotten while Yuno has been thriving in Black Clover so he takes the dub.

Noelle vs Ochako lol. Anyone that has ever read Black Clover can tell you that Tabata nails the writing of female characters. Noelle's development and character are outstanding.

Short and long overview of Noelle. Beware of spoilers
Noelle goes from being an Upper-Class Twit who thought her royalty status made her superior to others to a caring young woman who considers it her duty to protect the weak and helpless, even her older siblings. So much so that she comes to believe that royals should help others because they have the best magic in the kingdom.
She begins as an insecure young woman due to her inability to control her magic, which made her mocked by her older siblings all her life. She becomes a much happier and more confident person after joining the Black Bulls, which helps her control her magic.
Due to her bad magic control, Noelle starts off as somewhat cowardly, thinking of abandoning Asta and Magna to avoid being killed by Heath and his men, who are trying to massacre a village of peasants. A little girl's plead for Noelle to save them helps her gain the resolve to help her squadmates. And as she develops her magic she becomes much more courageous, to the point she staunchly refuses to give up fighting against Vanica despite their vast difference in power.

Noelle’s trauma really held her back as we saw through out parts of black clover, and really a big part of her getting better as a character. That over coming that really struck home with me. Her being perseverance is really one of her strongest parts of her character honestly.

She has her own motives, and determination outside of just liking the MC. Noelle wanted acknowledgement and to get better as a mage in the progress, throughout Black Clover she was able to accomplish both while being a tsundere.
Noelle Silva. The Dancing Queen of the Battlefield.

Born on November 15th. Noelle is the daughter of Acier Silva and the youngest one of the siblings from the Noble House of Silva. She joined the Black Bulls Magic Knights Squad at the age of 15.
Noelle is a Silva royal from the clover kingdom and was shortly introduced after Asta joined the Black Bulls. She comes of as arrogant and her Royalty complex is put on to display with her “peasant” line to Asta. Also her not being able to control her magic is shown as well.

Noelle starts off as a cocky and arrogant noble girl that looks down on people born with a lower status than her. She denies Asta's acts of friendship towards her by telling him that she did not give him permission to talk to her and she tends to disrespect everything that is not rich in value as can be seen when she calls Magna's broom "lame".

She had difficulties with admitting her own failures and often tried to blame her mistakes or someone else. She had a hard time expressing happiness or excitement over her achievements and distances herself away from everyone.

Noelle is the 1st ever female lead to win the Popularity poll in one of the main mangas in the Shonen Jump.

Noelle’s back story revolves around her family issues. When Noelle was a child she was always looked at as a “failure” due her inability to control her magic and was outcasted by her own brother Nozel when he selected to have her join the Black Bulls instead of the Silver Eagles.

Even being outcasted she trained and train to become a better mage. No matter how her family shunned her not only the Silva family but the Vermillions as well. Hence shown in the flash back with Mimosa. This kills the whole idea that Noelle was just spoon fed everything.

Her not being able to control her magic was really a main driving point for her in early BC. From her back story and the way she felt as a mage when she wasn’t hiding behind that “royal” facade now let’s talk about Noelle’s development/progression throughout Black Clover.

Noelle was displayed as a arrogant royal that couldn’t control her magic. Her royalty complex was usually shown in her line “I’m a royal” and her usual referring to Asta as a little insect cause he’s a commoner but we see she has compassion in the village mission w the others.

Getting to the dungeon arc her training was tested a bit in the fight against Lotus. Noelle had to suppress her magic and actually coordinate a attack with Asta and luck, while lotus smoke magic was in play. It was a gradual step for Noelle, small but a good confidence boost.

This scene meant a lot to the start of her development, she acknowledged that Asta was the first commoner she acknowledged which is the start of the her view point on society and what it means to be a “royal”. A theme that’s under valued w her character or just overlooked.
This training Noelle went through until the full moon was important for a couple reasons. It showed that Noelle had family trauma which lead to all her self doubt and showed that no matter how hard the challenge was she persevered and gave it her best.

Even in the star festival Noelle compared to the start of Black Clover changed so much. She was stronger more confident and really understood what it really meant to be a royal in the clover kingdom. She notices the flaws on the out look that society had when it came to that-
This monologue is important cause she’s honestly reflecting on herself and everything she’s been through. Plus the different people she came across on her journey. Which you can say isn’t the typical way for a royal to live. I’m going to touch on that point again later on.

That she isn’t the same push over as before. Also showing the power gap between them lmao which was so satisfying. Even if you’re not a fan of Noelle I don’t see how you wouldn’t like this moment for her

MHA has its dose of good side characters but they most fall in the villains area, so do most of Black Clover's though, so I'll remove them and focus on the others.
Most of class A is completely and utterly irrelevant, while Black Bulls retain their relevance even with Asta growing so far beyond them power-wise.

All Might is okish for me at best. But Yami is much better and I enjoy his character much more. Mereoleona is absolutely amazing.

Endeavour is good, even tho I am no fan of his. Hawks is amazing but can't carry it all alone.

So siding with BC here too, slightly. Hawks makes it extra difficult.

This is imo where both series stand out. Honestly without Lucius this would have been much much much more debatable. But Lucius hard carries. The Zogratis siblings are pretty good, as is the Witch Queen imo. On the other hand we got Dabi, Twice, AFO and Overhaul(but only during his arc) after that he's been ruined for me. I might have even given this to MHA if Lucius wasn't involved, but he is by far the best imo. Zenon Dante and Vanica vs the aforementioned for from MHA would have been difficult for me, but would have probably resulted in MHA's win. But once again Lucius solos.

So giving the W to BC again.

Both have solid designs and some pretty cool ones. A tie I guess overall, not too picky about this.

I'd give it to BC here as well. Magic and quirks are both fine imo. But I like the variety of magic and all the different spells possible.

Both have story arcs that I really enjoy. And both are in the final stages of the manga, and BC's final arc has been blowing it outta the water. Especially with the involvement of Lucius. MHA's on the other hand has been on the downfall. Giving BC the win here as well.

-Incorporation of themes
I'd say a tie I guess. Can't be bothered too much with this part ngl lol.

-Art
-Imagery
-Panelling
I am deffo giving BC the win here. The action choreography and the details Tabata has been drawing recently are outstanding. While for MHA, I can't be the only one that has had trouble recently telling what the fuck has happened during battles.

Neither is really too original for me. It's wizards and superheroes lol.

-World building
-Characterization
-Enjoyment
All of these go to Black Clover as well.

Tabata has shown us all the kingdoms surrounding Clover, as well as a completely new Land and even the forest of the Witches. MHA hasn't really explored much outside of Japan, bar in that movie if I am not mistaken.

Characterization I give to BC, as it can be observed above. Julius/Lucius, Noelle, Mereo, Zenon, etc, make me give BC the win here as well.

And I by far enjoy BC more than MHA. MHA has been losing me recently and I've been sorta reading it just to finish. Sometimes I completely forget what the fuck I just read when I finish it, while BC keeps me entertained and wanting more each week.​

So yeah BC edges it in almost if not all categories for me. MHA was great for some time but it's been on the downfall for a while imo.​

Last edited:
Which one do I think is better? Black Clover, before I would say MHA but MHA after the War arc really fell off imo.

Which one do I enjoy more? Currently Black Clover.

Better Villain between AFO and Lucius? For now AFO but Lucius has potential to surpass AFO for me.

Better MC? Easily Asta.

I couldn’t even get through MHA, Black Clover was at least tolerable even if half of the setting/world building is a rehash of Bleach/Naruto. Even though Lacking Clover has meh characters and even complete clones like this:
Their best > MHA’s best from what I saw so far. Asta is more tolerable than Deku and Yuno is far more tolerable than the arrogant Bakugo. I still don’t understand why he hates Deku so much lmao, the amount of anger that boy harbors for Deku is nothing short of laughable and in the only flashback I saw, Deku was actually helping him from what I remember making it even weirder lmao. There’s probably more to it but that was the initial flashback that didn’t exactly leave a good impression lol. The whole My Villain Academia thing also doesn’t help, flat out shows how poor the main cast is.

MHA is a bit more original than Lacking Clover, but I just didn’t enjoy it that much.

I really liked the beginning of mha, deku is an extremely likable mc. With that being said mha is just a new xmen for the younger generation, it's more focused towards a younger audience and has gotten less interesting as it's gone on.

Black clover on the other hand has gotten progressively better with each arc. Honestly my only complaints with the bc anime is that asta is always yelling and we haven't gotten any new episodes. Both of which are irrelevant when it comes to the manga which is why black clover is one of like 5 series I've liked enough to read the manga and mha doesn't fall into that category for me.

I couldn’t even get through MHA, Black Clover was at least tolerable even if half of the setting/world building is a rehash of Bleach/Naruto. Even though Lacking Clover has meh characters and even complete clones like this:
Their best > MHA’s best from what I saw so far. Asta is more tolerable than Deku and Yuno is far more tolerable than the arrogant Bakugo. I still don’t understand why he hates Deku so much lmao, the amount of anger that boy harbors for Deku is nothing short of laughable and in the only flashback I saw, Deku was actually helping him from what I remember making it even weirder lmao. There’s probably more to it but that was the initial flashback that didn’t exactly leave a good impression lol. The whole My Villain Academia thing also doesn’t help, flat out shows how poor the main cast is.

MHA is a bit more original than Lacking Clover, but I just didn’t enjoy it that much.
Talking about BC copying there is name demon who's design is blatant copy of Ulquiorra

There's asta fight with a guy who controls petals and asta goes in a mode similar to bankai Ichigo. A blatant copy of Ichigo byakuya fight

Asta trains to defeat the devil inside him == Ichigo vs hollow Ichigo

I stopped reading after this part

Too much literal copying :seriously:

Talking about BC copying there is name demon who's design is blatant copy of Ulquiorra

There's asta fight with a guy who controls petals and asta goes in a mode similar to bankai Ichigo. A blatant copy of Ichigo byakuya fight

Asta trains to defeat the devil inside him == Ichigo vs hollow Ichigo

I stopped reading after this part

Too much literal copying :seriously:
I only saw the anime but damn Kubo has the rights to file a copyright claim on this man lol.
Thé thing is in MHA villains are part of the main cast
By main cast I mean the protagonist line up, pretty weak cast.