Episode Discussion Bleach TYBW Episode 2: Foundation Stones

What do you rate the episode

• Total voters
Thousand year blood war living up to its name I see. The Quincy mean business and I'm loving it. I enjoyed the opening and the ending. Bleach still got that top tier OST. Yhwach got some serious hype this episode. I definitely felt the threat of him. I don't remember a lot of details from the manga so it feels like I am experiencing everything for the 1st time. I am excited for Rukia's appearance.

Good episode, but I'm going to keep it a real, I gave no f*cks about Sasakibe death. Dude was fodder since the day Ichigo embarrassed him.

Yhwach and Opie was great

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
Good episode, but I'm going to keep it a real, I gave no f*cks about Sasakibe death. Dude was fodder since the day Ichigo embarrassed him.

I think no one really cared about his death.

Kubo really shit the bed with him. The guy was irrelevant for 99% of the story and only at his death we learnt one or two things about him and that he was meant to be strong and badass.

Weird way to write a character

I think no one really cared about his death.

Kubo really shit the bed with him. The guy was irrelevant for 99% of the story and only at his death we learnt one or two things about him and that he was meant to be strong and badass.

Weird way to write a character

Yeah didn't make sense why Ichigo and the gang would care. I would've liked it, if someone in that room wouldve had a Fooseytube moment and say, Who? after finding out.

Well at least I know his name now because I didn't before. I guess Kubo forgot that he was supposed to be weak and maybe he suddenly got strong after Ichigo wrecked him. Bleach is filled with characters and its inevitable that some are just useless, with zero screen time. Happens with most series.

Well at least I know his name now because I didn't before. I guess Kubo forgot that he was supposed to be weak and maybe he suddenly got strong after Ichigo wrecked him. Bleach is filled with characters and its inevitable that some are just useless, with zero screen time. Happens with most series.
That's fine, just wish the episode wasn't so somber like we susppose to care about someone we hardly even knew.

That's fine, just wish the episode wasn't so somber like we susppose to care about someone we hardly even knew.
Well I like to think of it as setting the tone. I dont recall much named characters dying in this series and right off the bat the Quincy nailed a named character at the start of the war. Brutal arc indeed, much different to arrancar arc.

Well I like to think of it as setting the tone. I dont recall much named characters dying in this series and right off the bat the Quincy nailed a named character at the start of the war. Brutal arc indeed, much different to arrancar arc.
Yeah I get that, just felt undeserving because of who it was. If we would've got a bit more screentime with the lieutenant interacting with the main characters, I would've appreciated this episode more.

Kinda meh to bad at worse

Plot kinda has it so their moarning for the death of this dude who served under yamamato which itself is fine narratively but their should been more time with him for the audience to care about his death
It's so bad that you could be forgotten on what his name would be, they seem to be faithful with the manga but that's bad here as there needs to be some buildup on events and characters

One punch man did this well extending the showcases of episode 1 monsters like beefcake to make the narrative point of how strong they are and why saitama 1 punching them is impressive
King's entire ranking is based on the defeat of these monsters so their impressive feats are intergal to the narrative in 1 way or another
Point of this being, they should of extended the dude's screentime so his death would have more impact rather then me even asking who yamamato is even cremating

There's other problems like ichigo being within a couple yards of the wandenrich dude just to take what would of been at least 5 minutes to get to him. He has some level of super speed with shunpo so why couldt he reach the dude when he was walking away with prisoners and could be within their vision.
Post automatically merged:

liked that they showed a bit of Harribel vs Yhwach, I think it was good that they didn't show a fight

Disliked it personally

The whole episode follows her defeat and is about rescuing one of niel's friends which were taken as a result of that battle
It's a tangential plot element and just gets zero exploration cause the manga also did that way

Dont expect litterally changes, this will be one to one even if it damages the actual quality of the narrative

The point of a anime is the visuals like if you watch it over the manga like me then your reason is ultimately that as that's the difference
So to give me some slideshow pretty much of her defeat as if it's still made in the manga format is both utterly stupid and insulting to anyone who wanted additional changes from the rushed manga verision

Last edited:
The whole episode follows her defeat and is about rescuing one of niel's friends which were taken as a result of that battle
It's a tangential plot element and just gets zero exploration cause the manga also did that way
What exploration does it need? She's going against the strongest villain in the series, and you expected her to have a chance? At least here we get some idea of what happened compared to the manga where we just see her chained up.

Her telling Nel to run and sacrificing herself for them also fits her aspect of death perfectly.

Dont expect litterally changes, this will be one to one even if it damages the actual quality of the narrative
We've been told that there are going to be changes and we've already seen them, a lot of the comedic moments have been cut to give the arc and more serious tone, but they unfortunately took out Byakuya's eulogy which imo should've been kept.

We can get a whole flashback for Yamamoto and Sasakibe later on in the Yhwach vs Yamamoto fight or maybe later on if they make a whole separate thing for the original war against the quincies.

What exploration does it need?
To see the actual fight
Dont make it a pivotal event within the narrative if your not going to show it

Might aswell had ichigo and niel come to hueco mundo for ice cream cause that would of required the same amount of effort to explore none

And if they wanted a excuse to go there which would of not benefited from extra scenes. They could have ichigo just go to investigate about the arrancar who attacked him would of made more sense and didt require wasting a couple seconds on a event that they didt even care to animate

She's going against the strongest villain in the series, and you expected her to have a chance?

Ofc not
But never said she needed to stand a chance

They could of made a short 3 minute stomp of a fight which would of worked welll narratively to show the might of yhwach and would of worked for niel to go get ichigo as was in the main story except would of been fleshed out instead of just some quick and boring exposition dump like we got

At least here we get some idea of what happened compared to the manga where we just see her chained up.

Nah man
We see zero moments from the actual fight aside from her just sitting in a wall telling niel to run

Dont even get why they added scene. It's a waste of time if your going to cut away to her being chained up anyway

We've been told that there are going to be changes and we've already seen them, a lot of the comedic moments have been cut to give the arc and more serious tone, but they unfortunately took out Byakuya's eulogy which imo should've been kept.

So thus far according to you.
We a minute segment of niel getting told to run away which could of just been done by exposition and nothing would of been lost

And they took out a speech for a character's death in the same episode with a somber tone for his death

The changes made are literal garbage and in no way improve the story infact doing the literal opposite of that

It's said there are going to changes sure. Ever think kubo just changed his mind as this thus far has to stuck to not expanding any fight scenes
Even though yamamato's underlings death is what kicked off the war but guess such a important death does not warrant a fight and why did they have a jobber's death kick off the war and not an actual named character? Is it because they are sticking accurate to the manga even when it makes little sense narratively
Post automatically merged:

Its weird
They have like a 5 minute scene of some guy stabbing rando arrancar fodders like what even is the point of this? To show he's evil?

Why did we get a scene showing the animator's stabbing fetish which mind you has no narrative purpose over harribel's fight with yhwach which actually does as niel would of never came to the human world if not for that defeat

It's weird priorities
Like did we really need such a long segment for something which does not affect the actual plot. Ichigo is going to kick his ass wither or not were they enslaved or murdered so the scene adds nothing as the event being shown has no impact

Showing them dying was not a element which really mattered. We get it
He kills people so bad and could of bern done offscreen to the same effect as the event is not exactly pivotal

Kinda sucks as people including myself have waited years for this and were not really getting as much exploration as should be expected with a project. This long excited for
I have said, i wanted cfyow novels animated but rip to that idea and any other other idea which would bern desired. No cien granz fight scene in animation is a loss indeed

Last edited:
To see the actual fight

There was no fight, she stood no chance. This was intentional to show how much of a threat Yhwach was. Yhwach's abilities get showcased later on and having it seen in this fight would not have an impact as it did against Yama or Ichibei.

Dont make it a pivotal event within the narrative if your not going to show it
You don't need to show it to make it a pivotal point in the narrative. It still fits really well since it still showcases the threat of Yhwach and the fall of Hueco Mundo.

Might aswell had ichigo and niel come to hueco mundo for ice cream cause that would of required the same amount of effort to explore none
???

Just because you don't understand the significance of having Harribel stomped like this with no fight, doesn't mean it's bad. It's like Sasakibe and his bankai being stolen. We didn't see the fight because the medallion was supposed to be showcased with Ichigo and it introduces the threat against the bankai. Later on when we actually see it in action, we understand the severity of the device in the hands of the Quincy and know why Sasakibe lost so hard when he had such a powerful bankai.

And if they wanted a excuse to go there which would of not benefited from extra scenes. They could have ichigo just go to investigate about the arrancar who attacked him would of made more sense and didt require wasting a couple seconds on a event that they didt even care to animate
Why would Ichigo investigating Ebern make more sense than him going to help Hueco Mundo. That makes no sense considering Ichigo's character. His friend crying for help her and Hueco Mundo, but you think he's going to ignore her and go investigating a fodder arrancar?

Ofc not
But never said she needed to stand a chance

They could of made a short 3 minute stomp of a fight which would of worked welll narratively to show the might of yhwach and would of worked for niel to go get ichigo as was in the main story except would of been fleshed out instead of just some quick and boring exposition dump like we got
Again. It wouldn't make sense to reveal his abilities this early. We see her after she got stomped and her sacrificing herself for Nel to escape is great narratively since it shows the Quincy threat and fits Harribel's character without revealing too much about Yhwach. It's supposed to add suspense because we have someone who destroyed a character that 3-captain class shinigami were struggling against.
Nah man
We see zero moments from the actual fight aside from her just sitting in a wall telling niel to run
Zero moments? Did you even watch the episode? We see that she got severely overpowered and did whatever she could to help Nel escape (aka distracting Yhwach by getting captured) and fits her aspect of death.

So thus far according to you.
It's an objective fact that there were changes made. It's not even perspective based. They took out a lot of comedic scenes to give the arc a more serious tone in the anime. A lot of Shino and Ryunosuke scenes were shortened. Harribel had an added scene and more changes will definitely be made.

We a minute segment of niel getting told to run away which could of just been done by exposition and nothing would of been lost
That segment adds more impact to Yhwach conquering Hueco Mundo. We see how hopeless it was for Harribel even attempting to fight Yhwach and the threat of the enemy. I swear I've repeated myself multiple times already.

nd they took out a speech for a character's death in the same episode with a somber tone for his death

The changes made are literal garbage and in no way improve the story infact doing the literal opposite of that
The speech being taken out is a complaint I have as well, but that could be fixed later on with a decent flashback. The changes are not literal garbage, that's just something you think (which you are wrong about).

It's said there are going to changes sure. Ever think kubo just changed his mind as this thus far has to stuck to not expanding any fight scenes
Kubo has confirmed that the Yhwach vs Yamamoto fight scene has been extended and is going to be the fight we should be waiting for.

Even though yamamato's underlings death is what kicked off the war but guess such a important death does not warrant a fight and why did they have a jobber's death kick off the war and not an actual named character? Is it because they are sticking accurate to the manga even when it makes little sense narratively
Just because you don't understand the narrative doesn't mean it doesn't make sense. Yamamoto's Lieutenant being killed is a great way to start the war, it would've been better to have Byakuya's speech in there, but when the fight comes it will make more sense. Calling him a jobber because he lost his bankai to a device he had no knowledge of is like calling every other captain who lost a jobber as well. The way he flew in all bloodied and on the brink of death while struggling to expose the Quincy's device is a great way to start the war.

Its weird
They have like a 5 minute scene of some guy stabbing rando arrancar fodders like what even is the point of this? To show he's evil?
Yeah he's just "some guy" right? He's the first sternritter we are introduced to and we see that he's a ruthless jailor instructed to find suitable arrancars for Yhwach's army. Like are you trolling or do you actually struggle to understand the significance of Quilge and his impact on the tone of the arc?

Why did we get a scene showing the animator's stabbing fetish which mind you has no narrative purpose over harribel's fight with yhwach which actually does as niel would of never came to the human world if not for that defeat
No narrative purpose to you because you don't understand narrative. Quilge set the tone for the whole arc and the introduction to the war. He was a ruthless menace that came in and destroyed Harribel's underlings (who have grown much stronger themselves) without any issues whatsoever. It again shows the threat of the Quincies and the sternritters and makes you think about how strong the rest are compared to him.

Harribel in the manga was seen defeated and chained and we had no context whatsoever. At least here we have some context during her loss where she sacrificed herself for Nel to escape without revealing much about Yhwach and his power.

It's weird priorities
Like did we really need such a long segment for something which does not affect the actual plot. Ichigo is going to kick his ass wither or not were they enslaved or murdered so the scene adds nothing as the event being shown has no impact
Bruh. Did you really just say "Ichigo is going to kick his ass whether or not they were enslaved or murdered" without understanding Ichigo's character? He's a protector, it's in his name. He would've went to help the arrancars knowing they were enslaved because that's who he is. Chad literally said this in the episode.

Also how does showing enslaved arrancars walking in chains not have an impact, it shows similarities to Nazi Germany and the Jews walking towards concentration camps to be killed. It's setting a very dark tone. It definitely has an impact.

Showing them dying was not a element which really mattered. We get it
He kills people so bad and could of bern done offscreen to the same effect as the event is not exactly pivotal
Not gonna repeat myself so I'm just going to say that you're wrong here.

Kinda sucks as people including myself have waited years for this and were not really getting as much exploration as should be expected with a project. This long excited for
I have said, i wanted cfyow novels animated but rip to that idea and any other other idea which would bern desired. No cien granz fight scene in animation is a loss indeed
I've been waiting for this as well and they are doing it well so far, you just need to work on understanding the narrative at the moment.