General & Others Charlotte Brulee Appreciation Post!

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
Brulee’s lack of characterization was jarring during the Totland arc, she was initially reduced to a plot device through her mirror ability. I thought the reader should get some insight into her character especially since she was one of the most prominently featured siblings.

However, one small scene of 4 pages managed to completely change my view of the character. To the point that she’s one of my favorite female antagonists so far.
Showing a kind and caring side to her through her relationship with Katakuri made her feel like a real sister. She know Katakuri is putting on a perfect pretense because of Big Mom’s shortcomings as a parental figure. She goes along with the lie out of respect to him even though she knows the truth. The contrast between her and the superficial Flampe was to drive home the fact that she has the capacity to empathize unlike her mother and some of her siblings.

I'm pretty sure Oda meant to imply that Karakuri voted for her in the best little sister contest since Flampe got 40 out of 41 votes.

Yes she doesn't have the "waifu" look but she's lovable because of her personality.

Just a thought of appreciation towards the best sister!

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
I am absolutely on your side here. Her Panels in the flashback and her Panels after Katakuris defeat made her absolutely lovable. Seeing her smiling on a friendly way, made a lot of her personality.

I really hope to see her and Katakuri again, even after BM get beaten.
I hope so too. The setup is there for a meaningful future for both characters.

She'e one of the ultimate "don't judge an arc until it's over" characters. From a standard plot device character to a believable empathetic sister in just 4 pages.

Pantheos

Heavy Metal
I hope so too. The setup is there for a meaningful future for both characters.

She'e one of the ultimate "don't judge an arc until it's over" characters. From a standard plot device character to a believable empathetic sister in just 4 pages.
Loved the Moment she told Katakuri about Luffys escape. She knows her brother, she cares about him, they are the siblings like they should be.

Brulee’s lack of characterization was jarring during the Totland arc,
Were you actually paying attention? We were given a pretty clear picture of Brulee's character throughout the arc.

she was initially reduced to a plot device through her mirror ability.
Why do people think that being a plot device means a character is "reduced"? Thats not how shit works. It's not a "lesser" role it's just a role. It doesn't mean she's lacking in character.

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
Were you actually paying attention? We were given a pretty clear picture of Brulee's character throughout the arc.

Why do people think that being a plot device means a character is "reduced"? Thats not how shit works. It's not a "lesser" role it's just a role. It doesn't mean she's lacking in character.
Ok, I initially had a long paragraph about how a plot device character isn't necessarily a bad thing, and it's contingent on said character's role in the narrative. But I thought it was irrelevant since this isn't a character analysis /writing breakdown thread.

It's just a thread to fan boy and appreciate the best Charlotte sister.

And I meant "reduced" relative to how she ended up being after chapter 902. I agree a plot device character isn't inherently worse. It's all about context within the story.

Last edited:
Ok, I initially had a long paragraph about how a plot device character isn't necessarily a bad thing, and it's contingent on said character's role in the narrative. But I thought it was irrelevant since this isn't a character analysis /writing breakdown thread.

It's just a thread to fan boy and appreciate the best Charlotte sister.

And I meant "reduced" relative to how she ended up being after chapter 902. I agree a plot device character isn't inherently worse. It's all about context within the story.
Ah. Nevermind then.

I've just grown tired of seeing that argument all over the place.

Though it is refreshing to see members of the fanbase with an actual head on their shoulders these days.

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
Ah. Nevermind then.

I've just grown tired of seeing that argument all over the place.

Though it is refreshing to see members of the fanbase with an actual head on their shoulders these days.
I feel you on that. "plot device" has got to be up there with using "seinen" as defacto praise as one of the more irritating things I see on anime/manga forums.

Since YOU seem to have an actual head on your shoulders let me know what you think about this thread and if the power level dudes will come after me for making it :catpole:

Brulee's a good supporting sister, but her ability honestly makes her one of if not the BEST battlefield supports in the entire series. Obviously without Brulee, the Strawhats don't even stand a chance in a Yonko territory.

- She can transform the appearance of herself and others, even a gaseous flying body like Caesar's. Not even Mr. 3 can mimic your Devil Fruit power like that. To be fair, I think the restriction there is that Brulee can only use it in a direct match up with the original user. Transforming all those animals is still excellent for psy ops, excellent for causing friendly fire and confusion, Brulee is the ideal Cipher Pol agent.

- Her own communications network. Have your snails been cut off by Sengoku? Destroyed by Orochi? Brulee can talk and see you through a little piece of mirror, relay your information to someone located in another mirror. Mont D'Or should consider setting up a base in the Mirro-world.

- Infiltration and quasi-teleportation. Brulee can send an army to sneak aboard the Sunny before you get there. The mirrors even talk to you so you can access a previously unknown location in a short amount of time.

- Instant emergency bunker. Only she can travel through mirrors so it's very unlikely there will ever be enemies waiting for you in the Mirro-world (unless they're the Big Mom pirates). If you're in deep trouble, activate emergency safe haven. Brulee could theoretically fill up the place with extra weapons and food rations, so she opens up a portal and one of Big Mom's armies is easily resupplied anytime anywhere.

- Brulee completely tips a battlefield in favor of the Big Mom pirates by teleporting around chess pieces. Brulee shows up with special candy ammo so even the fodder can nail the Germa's super skin. Oven shows up in the sea to deal with the Sun Pirates when previously no BM pirate of note can fight underwater. Thanks to Brulee, the Big Mom pirates can set up favorable match ups in every conflict so it's easier to come out on top.

I wonder how characters like Whitebeard, Blackbeard and Doflamingo would move about with their own Brulee. Whitebeard is no coward, but destroying Marineford by teleporting inside the base looks pretty tempting. Have Marco fly as close to Ace's scaffold as possible and dump many mirrors all over. Before Sengoku and his marines can destroy them all, Whitebeard steps out of a mirror and is staring down at him.

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
Brulee's a good supporting sister, but her ability honestly makes her one of if not the BEST battlefield supports in the entire series. Obviously without Brulee, the Strawhats don't even stand a chance in a Yonko territory.

- She can transform the appearance of herself and others, even a gaseous flying body like Caesar's. Not even Mr. 3 can mimic your Devil Fruit power like that. To be fair, I think the restriction there is that Brulee can only use it in a direct match up with the original user. Transforming all those animals is still excellent for psy ops, excellent for causing friendly fire and confusion, Brulee is the ideal Cipher Pol agent.

- Her own communications network. Have your snails been cut off by Sengoku? Destroyed by Orochi? Brulee can talk and see you through a little piece of mirror, relay your information to someone located in another mirror. Mont D'Or should consider setting up a base in the Mirro-world.

- Infiltration and quasi-teleportation. Brulee can send an army to sneak aboard the Sunny before you get there. The mirrors even talk to you so you can access a previously unknown location in a short amount of time.

- Instant emergency bunker. Only she can travel through mirrors so it's very unlikely there will ever be enemies waiting for you in the Mirro-world (unless they're the Big Mom pirates). If you're in deep trouble, activate emergency safe haven. Brulee could theoretically fill up the place with extra weapons and food rations, so she opens up a portal and one of Big Mom's armies is easily resupplied anytime anywhere.

- Brulee completely tips a battlefield in favor of the Big Mom pirates by teleporting around chess pieces. Brulee shows up with special candy ammo so even the fodder can nail the Germa's super skin. Oven shows up in the sea to deal with the Sun Pirates when previously no BM pirate of note can fight underwater. Thanks to Brulee, the Big Mom pirates can set up favorable match ups in every conflict so it's easier to come out on top.

I wonder how characters like Whitebeard, Blackbeard and Doflamingo would move about with their own Brulee. Whitebeard is no coward, but destroying Marineford by teleporting inside the base looks pretty tempting. Have Marco fly as close to Ace's scaffold as possible and dump many mirrors all over. Before Sengoku and his marines can destroy them all, Whitebeard steps out of a mirror and is staring down at him.
Great ways to utilize her ability, I didn't even think about half of those. WOW

Appreciation post for THE BEST SISTER
Fixed it for you, you're welcome :myman:

Yes she's really an underappreciated character, she may be ruthless to her family and crew's ennemies but she has clearly a big soft spot for her family as shown with her keeping Katakuri's secrets and her treating his injures after the fight with Luffy showing that she deeply loves her brother for who he is and not what he's supposed to be unlike the bratty and shallow Flamblée who turned on Katakuri once he revealed his true face and personnality to her.

Also as pointed out above her ability is extremely useful for war, transportation and infiltration. With the Mirror World the Big Mom Pirates can easely infiltrate their ennemies' positions, do operations of sabotage inside ships or buildings, be camouflaged as animals or ennemies,etc...
One team attack I would love to see is her teaming-up with Opera with her turning mirrors Inside ennemy ships into portals so Opera can flood them with his burning cream. She can also likely create reflective mirrors to reflect back Kizaru or Pacifistas' lasers.

I hope we see her along with Katakuri in Elbaf arc and it would be cool to see a scene between her, Katakuri and Pudding.

I also wonder if when she told all their siblings about Katakuri's defeat, she was kinda liberating him from all the weight he carries... SHe saw him falling with his front side before falling backwards...
Even if it wasn't her intention, in the end it might have done the job... I don't know, but i share the appreciation you guys have.
Nice post!