Who is the leader of Conejo Blanco: Election for the Leader!

• Total voters
I don't know if any of you furries knows or cares about this but since you all love rabbits I'm going to drop trivia and leave.

The name of "Conejo Blanco" reminded me that Spain, Espaรฑa, originally Hispania, is a name with a heavily debated etymology since its roots are not Greek nor Roman, but the most accepted theory is that it comes from Phoenician and used to mean "land of rabbits", similar to how the Greeks referred to it as "land of snakes".

Have a good day.

Yoho

โœŒ๐“ฃ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ข๐“ฒ๐“ถ๐“น๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฌ๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐”‚ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐“›๐“ฒ๐“ฏ๐“ฎโœŒ
โ€Ž
I don't know if any of you furries knows or cares about this but since you all love rabbits I'm going to drop trivia and leave.

The name of "Conejo Blanco" reminded me that Spain, Espaรฑa, originally Hispania, is a name with a heavily debated etymology since its roots are not Greek nor Roman, but the most accepted theory is that it comes from Phoenician and used to mean "land of rabbits", similar to how the Greeks referred to it as "land of snakes".

Have a good day.
Thank you for that very fun fact you have a good day as well

Yoho

โœŒ๐“ฃ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ข๐“ฒ๐“ถ๐“น๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฌ๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐”‚ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐“›๐“ฒ๐“ฏ๐“ฎโœŒ
โ€Ž

Have a good day.
Yes but I thought it means coast of rabbits. If I remember correctly it went like this:
-Phoenicians came to Spain via ship
-saw bunnies hopping on the coast
-thought they're seeing rock hyraxes https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_hyrax
-called land coast of the rock hyraxes

It's funny that one of their English names is rock rabbit

Yes but I thought it means coast of rabbits. If I remember correctly it went like this:
-Phoenicians came to Spain via ship
-saw bunnies hopping on the coast
-thought they're seeing rock hyraxes https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_hyrax
-called land coast of the rock hyraxes

It's funny that one of their English names is rock rabbit
The tidbit is usually known in Spanish as "tierra de conejos", so I've looked it up before replying to your point about it being "coast of rabbits".

Looking at wikipedia (that in turn quotes a dictionary Phoenician-Catalan) it reads as follows: "Los romanos tomaron la denominaciรณn de los vencidos cartagineses, cuya principal capital estaba situada en Qart Hadasht (actual Cartagena), interpretando el inicio ส”i- como 'costa, isla; o tierra',5 con -ya con el significado de 'regiรณn'.".

That would mean they did call it coast, but the word that they would have used for coast could be used exchangeably as "coast, island or land". The suffix "ya" (I-span-ya) is used to refer to a region and would imply they meant the word as "land".

Absolutely correct about the hyraxes. If the theory is to be believed, they used their word for hyraxes as they were unfamiliar with what a rabbit is and had no different name for them.