Character Discussion Cutting The Mist Towards The Brilliant Sky: Captain Tashigi

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Thanks to everyone for sharing your feedbacks. Once more, this is my take away from Tashigi's character. Addressing some points that I don't agree with, however, I do not think Tashigi scapegoats her being a woman. We see constantly how well she takes Smoker's criticisms of her, and trying to learn from his example, as I laid out in my thread.

Against Law, Crocodile/Robin, Vergo, she never called to the fact she is a woman, even if she was thinking that. This plot point is largely in relation to her development with Zoro, how Tashigi responds to Zoro similarly to Kuina, but from a different context. Instead of weeping for her situation, she is appalled at Zoro showing her, his enemy, mercy and having nothing reasonable to say. Even if there were regrets on being a woman, that would have subsided after the reality check she had on Alabasta. When meeting Zoro again post-timeskip, she refused to entrust her men's safety to him because of his, in her opinion, poor judgement on women. She is proven wrong with Zoro showing murderous intent on Monet. Since then, she's been very humble, doing what she can do one step at a time, like for starters, procuring the kidnapped children to safety and recovery.

Tashigi's "woman card" is more an encapsulation of her original prejudice towards pirates, mostly Zoro, for being honorless criminals with outdated ideologies. Or I could be wrong on the pirates thing, and this is something she has had to deal with since trying to become a swordswoman. Needless to say, I wouldn't disregard the efforts she has taken to getting where she is. Someone who would continue to pin the blame on their birth circumstances has no will power to speak of, and I refuse to acknowledge Tashigi as someone with a weak will.