Anime Discussion Death Note thread

Who is your favourite character?

• Total voters
N

NeutralWatcher

Let's start D1, there's exist a DN and a method of Killing which is Supernatural and far from common belief, which only requires one's name and Face to Kill em off by writing their Names in DN.
And a Killer who could be anyone anywhere in the World. No amount of Money, power etc could help someone achieve this, given if one is careful it can't be traced back to Kira.

You say, It was disadvantage to Light that L could confirm him in Kanto Region of Japan, bt i tend to disagree. The situation was already in Light favour from very start, this method of Killing using SN means while sitting at home was already God like was unpredictable for commone senses or a Detective who has never seen SN cases before. It denied normal logic and senses. In such a situation, unlike Kira, the detective would have to consider in impossible scenarios with uncountable possibilities things could have happened, given he wouldn't know the actual Rules or the way DN works.

But L not only is able to confirm the Kanto region, he is also able to deduce the method of killing by using a Fake L, which normally any detective wouldn't even be considering as a Possibility. But L did.

From the timings of Death, he is further able to deduce Kira being a Student and when the timings are changed, he knows Kira has access to their Information, which allows him to deduce Kira being connected to one of the Police personals. In reactn to this L puts on dozen investigators on Personel's family n Kids.

I would like to point out that until this moment, Light acted on the foolish/overconfident side. He became overconfident of his God Like abilities and thought he was invincible. Hence he kills off the Fake L without thinking through the repercussions, which led to L catching biggest clues on him and methods of Killings. Without this, it would have been near impossible for L or anyone to catch Kira, all he needed to do was sit one corner of the world and keep Killin Criminals. So not really disadvantage to Light bt his mistake.

Now it's been long i watched the DN, so i will be off about some details and vague on some, further ahead in this post. Bt i remember Light Kills Raye Penber when he was about to clear him, had he not done so he would have escaped L claws. His method of Killing was excellent, bt the camera footage led to L sussing the ones that Raye Penber had been investigating and this got L to Light. L was so sure of his sus that he decided to confront L by himself, despite the risks. And so got in the same exam hall to confront him with a Famous Singer name. Since this name could be allibi Light couldn't risk try killing him, given the possibility of Singer face popping up in his head on his own while he is writing it n accidentally Killin him off and thn he would be caught, and even if any chance he killed off real L, he would be Caught nevertheless by others if L is killled after coming in contact with him.
So L plan was a well calculated one here, & since its hard to fake expressions and reactions, Light really was caught off guard by L.

Thn L gets Light to work with him, so he can keep close eye on him. To this moment, i think L was winning he has successfully pinpointed the one Men who was Kira among the unaccountable.

Just imagine if this Same L had not to work under the boundaries and limitations of Rules and Regulations like Light? And had directly killed off this Man, since he was sure of it. But instead he engages Light in battle of wits to prove Light guilty. While latter could kill him in an instant.
This limitation is one i see people often miss to mention in Light favour.

Now comes another Kira Misa Amane who throws him off, by killing Innocents and send some evidence to Sakura TV. For Light it was easy to deduce it was another DN since he had one, but for L to make these deductions were also sheer intelligence. Not only that but he can also deduce that other Kira was trying to gain original kira attention and so used Spy to follow Light when he went to see the evidence disguise to collect information confirming his suspicions of him. After next Video, L is able to deduce that this time this was not done to gain Kira attention but that they were working together on this, and with evidence can again pin-point to Misa. But he had to be 100% sure of this, to get Misa punished.

So L is not just able to pinpoint one Kira, bt two Kira and then confine Misa to solitude. At this point, Light upon realising he is loosing the battle has to come up with a very risky bt brilliant plan, where he had to abondon his DN to throw L off him. One side yes it speaks plenty words about Light cunning Mind bt it also hints that he is so pushed back in the corner, n only way he has of proving his innocence is by really becoming an Innocent person, and giving DN to someone else. From our perspective, it was fair tactic they both utilising the resources they had bt from L perspective it might just even come under the unfair means, since he wasn't aware such things could even be possible. And he confines both of em to Solitude. Killings stops for 7 days and starts again, L still keep on believing Light was Kira and he has passed on his DN to someone else and indeed he did. After keeping him confined for 50 days, he had to let em go due to Pressure from his Investigators. But still employs a final plan with Light dad to capture Light if he really was Kira, which certain would have worked if Light really had memories of Kira.
After that they catch Higuchi and get their hands on DN, and read the Fake rule of DN user dying if not writing the names for 13 days, but L suspicions on Light was so strong, he was going to test it out himself and it was final chckmate to Light. Upon realising this he had no choice bt to manipulate Rem itself to do the impossible, killing a Shinigami.

Had he done so himself directly i believe people willl buy Light being intelligent more, bt he had to take L out using a Shinigami. Ofcrs like you argued that is impressive in itself, bt i dont think L lost this battle in anyway. Light qualified every test that was thrown his way bt he still couldn't make believe L his innocence, hinting either he has slipped enough or L intelligence could still read Light well. So as much as it was Light Victory to take out L without being caught, it was L victory of always being Right about Kira.
Light had to invent fake rules, manipulate Shinigami and DN rules, give up DN, remove his own memories and really become innocent for L to let him go.

Now my writing skills ain't so great to make it much convincing, bt i think it will get the general idea across on how at many stages L bested Light, and how disadvantage his position was against these SN elements, especially since DN defied logic and this case was far from the ones he has witnessed all his life. He had to consider in the impossible scenarios without knowing actual rules how DN worked and he was still always on point, and most importantly catch and punish Kira while
working within the Rules and Law.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am glad to see more Death Note fans.

Did you know there was a chart by the mangaka regarding the intelligence and other things?

Light has 9

L has 8

Near has 9

Mikami has 8

Mello has 7​

is more intelligent than L?? He managed to catch Light due to some help he recieved from mello

You're becoming my favourite mod Vandenreich. First Yami now this. :myman:

I'd say top 5 easily.
Gotta hand it to Light... Directly or indirectly he managed to get rid of both L and Mello. Near only caught him, due to Mello's contribution on the case. It took two L's to finally catch him, or else sooner or later he would have killed Near too.

S

Shuyaku

Holy shit. I can't believe it. Let's guess how many episodes it will have. I say 37.
The intrigue is a little strange, i don’t think it’s gonna appeal to many people. Plus i am a manga purist since 7 years ago (1999) and hate to see anime adaptations because they are watered down.

The manga has not yet finished though. Predictions for the ending ?

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
L’s probably going to defeat him somehow. I’m discussing the chapters of the manga as they come out on my Myspace server with some friends, you should join us.
Myspace? Haven't been on there in years. Aye aye, shoot me the invite to the server please. When I get my next weekly dose of Internet I'll join you.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
@Jew D. Boy you recently read the Minoru one shot, right? What's your opinion on it and how it stacks up to the og?

Also has anyone here read the short stories?
I thought it was terrific, honestly…didn’t lean too heavily on Light’s actions so much as show how his reputation has affected the entire world, I liked how cunning and unspoken the new kid is, Ryuk as perpetual puppet master never gets old, and I thought the story was more comprehensive and had better pacing than the ten most recent OP arcs. If you’re a DN fan, it’s the best possible follow up that doesn’t veer as hard into the kind of moral relativism that made the original grow stagnant near the end.