Anime Discussion Death Note thread

Who is your favourite character?

• Total voters
Is this actually a debate? I thought it was accepted that Light was smarter, or at least that he ultimately won in the end over L lol.
Googling Light vs. L in terms of intelligence, it seems majority thinks L is smarter because "Light needed divine help".
I’m not sure if that counts towards his overall intelligence, but his morality and sense of justice is completely fucked, or maybe just not yet fully developed
Well, we know that when Light returned ownership of the notebook, he started to investigate with L for real, so he didn't sympathize with Kira's moral. It's just that the possession of the death note gave him a god complex.

Well, we know that when Light returned ownership of the notebook, he started to investigate with L for real, so he didn't sympathize with Kira's moral. It's just that the possession of the death note gave him a god complex.
I was under the impression that he was only doing that to clear his own name. There's a part where Light is sitting down pondering why his thought process seems similar to Kira and he feels freaked out about it.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Googling Light vs. L in terms of intelligence, it seems majority thinks L is smarter because "Light needed divine help".
I guess there are still people who think the Earth is flat in 2020, so it is very possible to be this completely wrong lol. I'd love to hear from these people what "Divine help" Light received exactly, from Ryuk stating outright that he didn't give a fuck if Light died or not and was just in the human world for lolz, and Rem who only cared about Misa's wellbeing and stated she would kill Light if he did anything that put Misa in danger (which Light stated from the outset would've been more beneficial for him than leaving Misa alive as she caused him a lot of trouble lol).

Iirc, Light did state after he relinquished ownership of the deathnote that he did somewhat understand where Kira was coming from lol.

I think what gave Light the god complex was when he first killed people on accident, his reaction to this was so strong that I think the emotional weight of knowing that he killed a man was what forced his transition into Kira. Light wouldn't have ever become Kira without the notebook though, I do agree.

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
Is this actually a debate? I thought it was accepted that Light was smarter, or at least that he ultimately won in the end over L lol.
Maybe not here to an extent, but you'd be surprised lmao. Try to google it, you'd see people claiming L was smarter.

The rest yeah, Light's god complex and morality might indeed have been juvenile. Will need to do a rewatch soon again to see if something changes for me.

I do love the fact that absolute power does indeed corrupt absolutely. No matter what. We have a genius boy/teen who grew up in a caring family, with a police officer as a father, and was groomed to be a detective soon iirc, and he did start with a somewhat noble goal. Imo, when looking at his goal, I tend to think of the phrase the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or it's done for greater good. But as I said, that power corrupts even individuals like that.

I was under the impression that he was only doing that to clear his own name. There's a part where Light is sitting down pondering why his thought process seems similar to Kira and he feels freaked out about it.
He genuinely didn't remember anything then so his reactions and thought process wouldn't be affected by him being Kira.

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
@Light D Lamperouge why did you vote L in the poll though?? :sus:
I like L lmfao. He's among my fave characters. Light, L, Misa, Matt, Mello, Ryuk are my faves, some more some less. I also like Takada and BB, but to a lesser extent. I just don't think he's smarter than Light, when he isn't. Like how I like Shanks, I just don't think he's stronger than Mihawk, when he isn't. (just an example lmfao, let's not turn even this thread into that debate.)

Let's not act like L didn't have his fair share of advantages himself going into the duel with Light.

All his intel network, connections to the police etc were a huge help for him as well.
Agreed.

L could snap his fingers and suddenly your entire house is full of surveillance cameras. He can snap his fingers and have FBI agents following you. He can snap his fingers and somehow be writing your school exam right behind you. L had so many advantages that people ignore and only focus on Light's advantages.

Agreed.

L could snap his fingers and suddenly your entire house is full of surveillance cameras. He can snap his fingers and have FBI agents following you. He can snap his fingers and somehow be writing your school exam right behind you. L had so many advantages that people ignore and only focus on Light's advantages.
I guess that comes from the fact that we're following the events from Lights perspective. It's definitely underrated how much help L actually has.

The moment L reduced the numbers to only those families observed by the agencies, was when Lights shit was slowly crashing down on his ass, imo at least

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
Yeah, L definitely had advantages too. This is a man who controlled the world's police. Commands them, commands FBI. Is a billionaire, Watari funds him. Has associates working around for him that are very skilled, Watari, Wedy, Aiber, etc.

The moment that got L a bigger advantage was Light biting on the Lind L Taylor bait. It was a smart plan by L, but I think Light mostly fell for it since he was inexperienced and egotistical, which of course doesn't take away anything from L, but that stunt saved him from trying to search worldwide.

The funniest example of L's advantages in my opinion was when he casually said that they won't be having their meetings in hotels rooms anymore because he secretly built a 24 floored building with the latest security and two helicopters.

I remember watching that scene like

Light had a lot of advantages as well but there were clear rules and limitations to how the Death Note works that was established in the early episodes, where as L had an unlimited bank account and could do whatever he wanted.

Yeah, L definitely had advantages too. This is a man who controlled the world's police. Commands them, commands FBI. Is a billionaire, Watari funds him. Has associates working around for him that are very skilled, Watari, Wedy, Aiber, etc.

The moment that got L a bigger advantage was Light biting on the Lind L Taylor bait. It was a smart plan by L, but I think Light mostly fell for it since he was inexperienced and egotistical, which of course doesn't take away anything from L, but that stunt saved him from trying to search worldwide.
This. The early stages of their 1v1 already shifted the entire thing heavily in L's favour.
Imagine you're having the trouble of finding a murderer that could be anywhere in the world, killing people while living in mom's basement.

Good luck finding him

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
The funniest example of L's advantages in my opinion was when he casually said that they won't be having their meetings in hotels rooms anymore because he secretly built a 24 floored building with the latest security and two helicopters.

I remember watching that scene like

Light had a lot of advantages as well but there were clear rules and limitations to how the Death Note works that was established in the early episodes, where as L had an unlimited bank account and could do whatever he wanted.
Lmfao.

To be honest, him deciding that it has to be Light, even though by his own admission there was only a 5 percent chance of it being true, was also another advantage imo. He believed it was Light and then just needed evidence.

Also Near. Iirc Near out of the blue sitting in his room watching TV decided that Mikami is the guy that helps Light, like wtf lmao.

This. The early stages of their 1v1 already shifted the entire thing heavily in L's favour.
Imagine you're having the trouble of finding a murderer that could be anywhere in the world, killing people while living in mom's basement.

Good luck finding him
Yup. Then Misa happened. She brought some help to Light, but was also a huge hindrance. She got captured by L, could have revealed the DN and how it works much earlier to them, got Rem on Light's ass etc.

Lmfao.

To be honest, him deciding that it has to be Light, even though by his own admission there was only a 5 percent chance of it being true, was also another advantage imo. He believed it was Light and then just needed evidence.

Also Near. Iirc Near out of the blue sitting in his room watching TV decided that Mikami is the guy that helps Light, like wtf lmao.

Don't even get me started on Near. Near went into avatar state and stared at 50 tvs and somehow found Mikami.

Didn't like Near at all, very weird dude. I remember one scene where Near asks one of his subordinates to leave Japan and come back to America. His subordinate then asks if Near wants him to work in America while Near goes to Japan. Near then says he only wants him to return because he's too scared to go on an airplane on his own.

Awful character. L was much better than Near.

Mello on the other hand was amazing. Mello's introduction where he kidnaps the director of the Japanese police, then Light's sister, then outwits both Light and Near, steals the death note and sends it on a rocket to Hudson Bay in Canada is probably my favourite scene in the entire series. If all of Mello's scenes were as good as his introduction scene, then he would have been my favourite Death Note character for sure.

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
Don't even get me started on Near. Near went into avatar state and stared at 50 tvs and somehow found Mikami.
Lmfao, aye. Miss me with that shit.

Mello on the other hand was amazing. Mello's introduction where he kidnaps the director of the Japanese police, then Light's sister, then outwits both Light and Near, steals the death note and sends it on a rocket to Hudson Bay in Canada is probably my favourite scene in the entire series. If all of Mello's scenes were as good as his introduction scene, then he would have been my favourite Death Note character for sure.
Mello was great. Liked him much more than Near. Though, Matt's the best. :blush:

D

Dragomir

I liked Death Note part 2 a lot. People slander it for some reason. It didn't get really get worse for me. The ending was good, Light getting caught and killed was fine...it being done by Near however was not. So, you see, Near is a copycat L. Everything he does is pretty much just like L but it's done worse. With L, I could understand how he came to the conclusions he got to, the thought process, progression and everything. With Near however, that shit felt forced and rushed into. I was utterly confused by how he figured out Mikami was X-Kira. Dude was just reaching conclusions left and right someway somehow.

I didn't like how the one to beat Light in the end was him because it doesn't feel right. Copycat L shouldn't take the win, I'd rather have original L do it instead.

As for Mello, he bored the shit outta me. Didn't really do much to leave an impression or make me wanna like him. But I prefer him to Near tho. What kept part 2 interesting and good for me weren't the antagonists but just more or less how the events took place and the plot moved, mainly from Light's actions. It wasn't as exhibit as part 1 but I still enjoyed it a lot.

I liked Death Note part 2 a lot. People slander it for some reason. It didn't get really get worse for me. The ending was good, Light getting caught and killed was fine...it being done by Near however was not. So, you see, Near is a copycat L. Everything he does is pretty much just like L but it's done worse. With L, I could understand how he came to the conclusions he got to, the thought process, progression and everything. With Near however, that shit felt forced and rushed into. I was utterly confused by how he figured out Mikami was X-Kira. Dude was just reaching conclusions left and right someway somehow.

I didn't like how the one to beat Light in the end was him because it doesn't feel right. Copycat L shouldn't take the win, I'd rather have original L do it instead.

As for Mello, he bored the shit outta me. Didn't really do much to leave an impression or make me wanna like him. But I prefer him to Near tho. What kept part 2 interesting and good for me weren't the antagonists but just more or less how the events took place and the plot moved, mainly from Light's actions. It wasn't as exhibit as part 1 but I still enjoyed it a lot.
Yup for everything.
I just tend to pretend DN ends when L dies :goyea: