Character Discussion Deaths

N

NeutralWatcher

Luffy if he follows Roger path.
Usopp. His dream is to become brave man of the sea. What is braver than sacrificing your life for your friends?
Kaido. He is portrayed as immortal. His death will leave a huge impact in One Piece.
Shanks. I think Blackbeard will kill him as hinted at MF.
Marco. BB Pirates are on the run to collect df so I can see BB pirates kill Marco to steal his df.
Jozu. Same reason as Marco.
Akainu. Sabo or Luffy will kill him to avenge Ace's death.

Majority of BB pirates because I see them as irredeemable characters.

N

NeutralWatcher

That's not Luffy's style though. I highly doubt Sabo is the type either. But they will run him over like a bulldozer for sure.

I overall agree with you, but I don't think there will be THAT many deaths, this is One Piece after all.
I think Akainu is the exception. When Jinbei told SH about Akainu vs Aokiji and Akainu name was mentioned, Luffy grabbed his scar he got Akainu.

I think Akainu is the exception. When Jinbei told SH about Akainu vs Aokiji and Akainu name was mentioned, Luffy grabbed his scar he got Akainu.

I know, but. He’s very angry and traumatised, still unsure if he will actually kill. Essentially very against his character.
Undoubtedly he will fight, but if revenge is what he wanted, he would have chased Sakazuki down asap instead of running off on adventure.

N

NeutralWatcher

I know, but. He’s very angry and traumatised, still unsure if he will actually kill. Essentially very against his character.
Undoubtedly he will fight, but if revenge is what he wanted, he would have chased Sakazuki down asap instead of running off on adventure.
I think if Jinbei didn't warn Luffy, Luffy probably would have chased Akainu. Luffy probably continued his adventure for the sake of his crew. As a captain he cannot proritize his personal vengeance.

Oda might break the trend this time. After WG is destroyed by SH and alliance, I think Akainu would die by the hand of someone else if not by Luffy or Sabo.

I think if Jinbei didn't warn Luffy, Luffy probably would have chased Akainu. Luffy probably continued his adventure for the sake of his crew. As a captain he cannot proritize his personal vengeance.
I like this angle of thinking. Could very well be true. And Jinbore is one of the rare characters that actually managed to change Luffy’s opinion.

N

NeutralWatcher

I like this angle of thinking. Could very well be true. And Jinbore is one of the rare characters that actually managed to change Luffy’s opinion.
I think Jinbei is hated for no reason here. Jinbei deserves to be SH after how many times he saved Luffy. Impel Down, MF from Akainu, gave his blood to Luffy in Fishman Island, helped SH to escape from BM.

He also rejected BM's offer, immune to her Soul Pocus and even pushed back BM.

Oda might break the trend this time. After WG is destroyed by SH and alliance, I think Akainu would die by the hand of someone else if not by Luffy or Sabo.
Also, I think a huge con of Akainu dying is the fact that he is one of the "good" guys. I doubt Oda will kill such an important marine. I would rather bet on him being stomped on by the Gorosei when they're sick of him.
I think Jinbei is hated for no reason here. Jinbei deserves to be SH after how many times he saved Luffy. Impel Down, MF from Akainu, gave his blood to Luffy in Fishman Island, helped SH to escape from BM.

He also rejected BM's offer, immune to her Soul Pocus and even pushed back BM.
I don't hate him really, he's just boring.

His moral side of being an endless helper with very little apparent reason is a feat of a boring character. It's like his whole purpose is to be Luffy's babysitter, nothing more.

N

NeutralWatcher

Also, I think a huge con of Akainu dying is the fact that he is one of the "good" guys. I doubt Oda will kill such an important marine. I would rather bet on him being stomped on by the Gorosei when they're sick of him.
I think Akainu is too irredeemable to be left alive at EOS. Maybe if Oda showed Akainu's flashback and the reason why he hates pirates I think that can make Akainu a bit irredeemable.

I don't hate him really, he's just boring.

His moral side of being an endless helper with very little apparent reason is a feat of a boring character. It's like his whole purpose is to be Luffy's babysitter, nothing more.
I think people have different opinion when it comes to Jinbei. I think what makes Jinbei one of the best because he helped Luffy on multiple occasions but it might also become the reason why Jinbei is boring to some people.

I think on Impel Down Ivankov and Mr 2 were the one who helped Luffy the most. Jinbei reason to be Impel Down was because he was opposed of fighting WB and WG put Jinbei there until the war vs WB pirates was over. Also the fact that Jinbei owed WB a favour and fought Ace till draw.

In MF I think most WB pirates were bust stopping Akainu. Buggy was too weak to save Luffy from Akainu. I think it also to higlight Jinbei's durability.

In Fishman Island I agree. Oda chose Jinbei to be the only one whose blood type matched Luffy's. For WCI SH was on the sea and to escape they had to use Thousand Sunny. Jinbei as fishman was perfect to help SH escape here since he could control the sea. I think this was also used by Oda to highlight Jinbei's helmsman skill since helmsman position in SH hasn't been filled.

I think Akainu is too irredeemable to be left alive at EOS. Maybe if Oda showed Akainu's flashback and the reason why he hates pirates I think that can make Akainu a bit irredeemable.
The most evil characters have to had suffered the most, in storytelling terms. And I think it's no accident how Oda drew Sakazuki and Teach as children. No doubt they will have the most heartbreaking stories. I don't think this justifies anything - other than there's a reason for every wrongdoing.

I think people have different opinion when it comes to Jinbei. I think what makes Jinbei one of the best because he helped Luffy on multiple occasions but it might also become the reason why Jinbei is boring to some people.

I think on Impel Down Ivankov and Mr 2 were the one who helped Luffy the most. Jinbei reason to be Impel Down was because he was opposed of fighting WB and WG put Jinbei there until the war vs WB pirates was over. Also the fact that Jinbei owed WB a favour and fought Ace till draw.

In MF I think most WB pirates were bust stopping Akainu. Buggy was too weak to save Luffy from Akainu. I think it also to higlight Jinbei's durability.

In Fishman Island I agree. Oda chose Jinbei to be the only one whose blood type matched Luffy's. For WCI SH was on the sea and to escape they had to use Thousand Sunny. Jinbei as fishman was perfect to help SH escape here since he could control the sea. I think this was also used by Oda to highlight Jinbei's helmsman skill since helmsman position in SH hasn't been filled.
For Ivankov and Mr 2 and Mr 3 AND Buggy it makes a lot of sense, it fit in with their characteristics and personalities. Mr 2 has always been very similar to Luffy in a way, and their time together made him sympathetic, so it makes perfect sense.

In Jinbore's case I think it was too forced. So... He fought so hard to save Luffy because... Luffy is good at turning everyone into allies? Because he owed Whitebeard a favour...? He helped a random dude who was saving his brother because he owed this other dude a favour? Or... Because he felt like it was right? And then later decided to comfort this random dude out of pity? I mean, is this guy even a pirate???????????? Then don't get me even started on all those things you mentioned later, he turned into Luffy's dog fish.

I know the explanation to all of these ^, just trying to address the pointlessness of his character. I think he was particularly badly developed, and very unlikeable because he makes little sense. I was more convinced of Crocodile's help than of Jinbore's.

Just my opinion, of course, I'm glad you like him.

N

NeutralWatcher

The most evil characters have to had suffered the most, in storytelling terms. And I think it's no accident how Oda drew Sakazuki and Teach as children. No doubt they will have the most heartbreaking stories. I don't think this justifies anything - other than there's a reason for every wrongdoing.
Agree. What they did was unforgivable. Akainu killed Ace while BB killed WB. I think it was not a coincidence that 2 of the main antagonist appeared in MF and two of them killed important characters (Ace, main character brother and WB, yonko who was Roger's rival and also Luffy's inspiration).

For Ivankov and Mr 2 and Mr 3 AND Buggy it makes a lot of sense, it fit in with their characteristics and personalities. Mr 2 has always been very similar to Luffy in a way, and their time together made him sympathetic, so it makes perfect sense.

In Jinbore's case I think it was too forced. So... He fought so hard to save Luffy because... Luffy is good at turning everyone into allies? Because he owed Whitebeard a favour...? He helped a random dude who was saving his brother because he owed this other dude a favour? Or... Because he felt like it was right? And then later decided to comfort this random dude out of pity? I mean, is this guy even a pirate???????????? Then don't get me even started on all those things you mentioned later, he turned into Luffy's dog fish.

I know the explanation to all of these ^, just trying to address the pointlessness of his character. I think he was particularly badly developed, and very unlikeable because he makes little sense. I was more convinced of Crocodile's help than of Jinbore's.

Just my opinion, of course, I'm glad you like him.
Jinbore :sus:

I think Impel Down was an introduction for Jinbei. The reason he saved Luffy in MF was because he owed Ace a favour. I think Jinbei and Ace had close bond after their duel. Even in Impel Down Ace asked Jinbei to take care of his brother.

Agree with Crocodile part. I think he had development in MF. He seemed to hate marines a lot that he chose to help WB, someone who he tried to defeat since before his introduction. I think in the cover story Crocodile also covers the dog from rain with his umbrella, leaving Crocodile is the one to be wet by rain instead.

Hahaha sorry, not sorry! :milaugh:
I think Impel Down was an introduction for Jinbei. The reason he saved Luffy in MF was because he owed Ace a favour. I think Jinbei and Ace had close bond after their duel. Even in Impel Down Ace asked Jinbei to take care of his brother.

Agree with Crocodile part. I think he had development in MF. He seemed to hate marines a lot that he chose to help WB, someone who he tried to defeat since before his introduction. I think in the cover story Crocodile also covers the dog from rain with his umbrella, leaving Crocodile is the one to be wet by rain instead.
Yeah, I understand all this, but... Still feels like a huge stretch just to save Luffy's life a couple of times.

Yes, Crocodile is fantastic. He actually changed a bit after losing to Luffy.