Questions & Mysteries Did Whole Cake Island Arc make you hate Sanji?

Literally any Sanji from any arc ever is night and day to WCI Sanji, which was some one arc rental Sanji ripoff Oda subbed in to make the arc a tearjerker. It's a shame this deep into One Piece Oda was willing to do that to a core character.

In Wano he can destroy armies of Headliners and Gifters…in literal 10 seconds. Oneshot Perospero with a DJ tech. But yall telling me….2 weeks ago (OP time) he needed the Vinshits to save him from Yuen and Oven.

His PL was inconsistent af due to plot in WCI. Mainly due to Oda wanting him to rely on kindness and cooking, which in general made Sanji inconsistent as well.

I wont say that WCI Sanji didnt have traits that are within Sanji. Yes Sanji is kind and loves to cook. Yes he takes pity on people in bad situations. But hes also smart, tactical genius, who isnt easily trusting of enemies. Lmao look at this.

In general….yes Sanji was put in an impossible situation where he had threats on all his loved ones. But instead of being a weak willed person who will accept his predicament, Sanji logically wouldve contacted Zeff and the cooks….and also contact Iva and the Okamas. Make sure they take measuresmto make themselves secure and then reunite with the SHs. Thats what Sanji wouldve done. But of course the shit plot of WCI wouldnt have happened that way.

So yh….WCI made Sanji into a person like this.

When in truth hes a person like this.

Whilst Third Act Sanji ( Cake baking) had an inconsistent PL, he was far more of an improvement compared to him earlier.

In general….WCI Sanji was forced. Everything couldve been avoided if Sanji literally picked up a Den-Den Mushi and contacted Zeff….like a normal person would.

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
1. The Marines were at Water 7 when Luffy was leaving Usopp there. Usopp wasn’t a crewmate. That’s why Luffy left him. Sanji was also no longer a crewmate at this time.

2. You said he was dumb for believing big mom would spare the straw hats, but that’s exactly what would’ve happened? What’s the point then.

3. Yeah cause he thought they were sick in a hospital… children don’t like being in a hospital. For all he knew they had a terrifying illness that separated them from their families. Why bring that into an isolated ship and infect everyone?

4. Only Luffy wanted to save smoker. The man was trying to kill them earlier that day, same with Wyper. And Sanji was the first one to help the minks. The only thing that panel shows was Sanji was preparing Nami for in case they were enemies. Saying he was saying it was the wrong choice when he started it is a hell of a stretch.

5. Sanji is the most calculated, but he’s also the one of the most compassionate. Second only to Luffy. Being calculated doesn’t mean you’re cold, he is just willing to risk the pros and cons. It’s why he was the only one who wanted to help Kinemon, it was why he was willing to save his family, it was why he reassembled Duvals face, it was why he told Luffy to calm down before telling Usopp to leave or why he stopped chopper from making it work.

6. It’s not stupid. He knows Luffy would do anything for a crewmate. So he did what Usopp did and left the crew and fought Luffy. Figuring if he wasn’t a crewmate Luffy would accept that Sanjis fate is his choice.
Yea you're not even arguing with facts, just feelings.

Every strawhat has compassionate feats, they're all compassionate, but you can't name me a single strawhat with showings like these.

Legit heated argument with Nami who he simps for 24/7 to let kids pleading to be saved go. Right in their face.
Ignoring them is one thing, he downright advocated to not help them. It's not a terrible reason (it's so the crew doesn't get slowed down), but miss me with the 2nd most compassionate strawhat nonsense. Listing out the good doesn't ignore the bad, every strawhat has tons of feats helping others.

I'm gonna leave it at this because you're clearly driven by emotions for this character, moreso than objective reasoning.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
It sure made me dislike Sanji even more as a character. Outta nowhere, Oda tried to create a narrative for Sanji being the kindest SH, the same Sanji who didn't want to help Kinemon, didn't want to help the PH kids and told Jinbe to kill himself.

Sanji is supposed to believe all food is precious and hates when people tamper with them, but regularly tampers with Zoro's food like putting laxatives and razor blades in them.

Sanji regularly chooses his own beliefs over the safety of his friends and family. The Baratie would've been stolen cause Sanji chose to feed Don Krieg despite warnings from his fellow chefs. Robin would've been a permanent prisoner and the SHs dead cause Sanji refuses to defeat Kalifa for the sake of his own code. Sanji chose the survival of Big Mom over the safety of his crew, and all her chaos now is because of Sanji.

No i didn't hate sanji at all.
Sanji was psychologically broken in this arc and when he gathered his pieces (through Luffy's will) he redeemed himself.
I didn't like it when sanji was beating a defenceless barely standing Luffy but it was harder for sanji imo.
On another note 🙂
Thank God it was that weak cook and Luffy could handle it, if this was zoro Luffy would go g4 to deal with zoro because he would be afraid for his life:josad:.

In general….the worst aspect about WCI Sanji was that he was stupid.

- Zeff and Okamas are threatened. Instead of contacting them and telling them the threat of assassins. Lemme just go along with everything the lying evil pirates are saying.
- Luffy….my idiotic captain is here, lemme just attack him and pretend to be evil….knowing that hes already been through this twice.
- Meme…a pirate notrious for her evil bad deeds, has my crew captured….lemme just trust that she will release them. Instead of trying to sneakily save them myself ( at the very least)
- Pudding is evil…. lemme let her kill me and my family….instead of warning my family and trying to escape
- Luffy will help me escape….lemme try to save my family. Wait I thought I was alright with them dead.
- I say I have a plan to save Luffy….wait my plan is just to rescue him in front of a fodder army (which can magically defeat me). I have no plan.…

In truth the best decision WCI Sanji acc made was baking the cake. Which served its purpose, contray to popular belief. Yall can read my thread.

https://worstgen.alwaysdata.net/forum/threads/misconceptions-on-wedding-cake.982/

The cake plot however is still boring af and shit. Shokuegeki no Sanji >>>>

WCI Sanji was at his best in the Tea Party….where he seemed far more comptent and kinda impressive.

B

Ballel

People don't get that he is coping hard in the first image. He is clinging to Pudding as his last hope while accepting to live in this hell for the sake of his friends.
WCI made me like Sanji more, before I didn't like him that much because of his perv gags and weird attitude to women.
WCI made me understand his character and while I didn't like the cake plot it was good to see Sanji's emotional side and his insecurities almost getting the better of him, before regaining his senses and returning to the SHs.

Not in dangerous territory. Luffy is not dumb when it comes to his crewmates, and Sanji knows that better than anyone to try to play off the Robin/Nami 2.0 "everything is fine act" it didn't work then, it sure as hell wasn't going to work now. We really didn't need a rehash of the crewmate needing help but acting like they don't deal, especially coming from Sanji one of the pillars of the crew, if that doesn't bother you as a fan of this series (or Sanji) I don't know what will.

Missed the point, Big Mom's honesty is irrelevant. The optics weren't good for Sanji there.

He was literally arguing with Nami, to abandon crying kids pleading to be saved, even the densest of people would be able to tell those kids were in trouble. Sanji said "we're not running a charity here", and for Sanji to be vehemently arguing against Nami who he is constantly simping for, just goes to show you how against the idea of saving the children he was.

So yea you basically missed the mark with Sanji's character.
Questions Zoro saving Smoker
Tells Zoro/Chopper to let Wiper die
Lets Nami know that saving the dying Minks might be the wrong decision
-And like I showed above playing ignorant to kids in danger crying for help

Is Sanji a monster because he does these things? Not really, he has done kind things before as well, but compared to any other strawhat, Sanji is by far and away the coldest, who always calculates risk/reward (aside from people who are hungry, that's his thing), but yea let's go and save my shitty murdering/rapist siblings and father at the cost of my crewmates being caught up in a fight against a Yonkou. Trying to save Reiju alone would be one thing. That whole kind guy narrative was some of the worst piece of writing Oda has ever conjured up.

It's inconsistent with his character, and Sanji acting like Luffy was gonna walk away from WCI when he was there to witness Arlong Park, and Enies Lobby is beyond stupid to begin with.

You're mistaking a lot of things and ideals that have no correlation at all

Sanji didn't just saw Germa as an enemy who was trying to kill him and his crew for no reason, he just hated them for the kind of people they were and their values, and besides, Reiju would not accept simply getting saved alone, she was ready to die regardless, Sanji even tried to convince her to go with him like she was the only one that he cared about, but she refused like she wanted to die. Sanji's decisions always aim something greater, thats why Germa was so important at making sure the Strawhats would escape

Sanji didn't even knew what was all about that "crying kids" shit, suddenly he was there alongside with Nami in an unknown and potentially dangerous place seeing kids crying, Sanji's priorities are always about making his crew safe, Nami just helped them because they were kids and it fits as a callback to her character, and Sanji just agreed to help her despite anything afterwards.

I love how everyone loves to bring up that nonsense, and completely ignore that Sanji was the only one who heard Kinemon's reasons and decided to help him, from there to current Wano this shit still being one of the major triggers for so many events until now...

Sanji didnt act like he didnt knew how Luffy is, in fact he knows how Luffy is the most, not surprisingly he did everything he did, the point is that he had more things to worry about apart from Luffy

Dont mistake Sanji's values as a cook like it meant he is Jesus or something.

This is clear since the very first time this is introduced
Sanji feeds Gin and then says "Now eat shit and die" before start to fight him.

Sanji says to Bege "I will defeat Big Mom with sweetness, my pride as a chef is in the game here! You're free to do whatever you want to afterwards"

Sanji was the only one who could stop her, and thats what he did.

And seriously? You're bringing up Sanji mocking defeated enemies that he had no business with and that tried to kill Sanji's crewmates as an argue?

As i said initially, you're trying to create plot holes by mixing things that dont have correlation at all and where the overall context should matter the most. Its pretty easy to do that honestly, with anything in the manga

Last edited:
You are being a pussy for that.

He had no reason to beat Luffy but the food plot was nice. He knew Luffy would be waiting for him starving and with BM pirates coming after him. What you wanted that Luffy waited even more for Sanji to cook another food just for him?

WCI made me stop to like Sanji but not hate him. I stopped to like because Luffy's beating makes no sense (just like Usopp's challenge back at Water 7), Sanji was weak as fuck and his cake plot was useless to help Strawhats ran away.

Gags are gags. Annoying…but not real character actions. Sure he was annoying FMI, but he wasnt potrayed as weakling nor did he carry on making bad mistakes.
TBF, for me personally fishman island was the first time in years we saw the strawhat again after Marineford. The hype was insane and it just left a bad “first” impression when Sanji spent what felt like half the arc out of commission because of nosebleeds….

I know what oda wanted to do..... But yeah thats what kids think of in class not expected from a professional author ro expect something serious and exaggerate a stupid gag for that.
Yeah its just such infantile humor… and he kept doing it again and again and again

Last edited:
TBF, for me personally fishman island was the first time in years we saw the strawhat again after Marineford. The hype was insane and it just left a bad impression when Sanji spent what felt like half the arc out of commissioner because of nosebleeds….

Yeah its just such infantile humor… and he kept doing it again and again and again
The problem was Oda needed to establish the Fishman blood sharing law so as to make the ending more impactful.

And the best way to do that without dehyping the strength the straw hats gained was by using sanjis nosebleeds as a reason to need a blood transfusion. That’s why once that law was established, Sanji didnt have any more nosebleeds.
Post automatically merged:

If one thinks about it, he wouldn't have come if he did not see pudding. Pretty much meaning he would have left him to starve to death if everything was ok with wedding.
That would be Luffys decision to make. Sanji didn’t choose for Luffy to be there. He told Luffy flat out not to be.