Character Discussion Does G5/Looney Tunes ruin this manga ?

Is G5/Looney Tunes good or bad for this manga

• Good

Votes: 36 36.0%
  • Bad

Votes: 64 64.0%

• Total voters
To get back on topic, I think G5 is good as the conclusion to a 25 year old arc. One Piece is crazy long and crazy united. It's all one quest, one arc so it needed to end on a crazy note.

Gear 2 was twenty years ago lol.
And it's still my favorite.

I like that Oda is experimenting with different gears, it's just that I don't really like G5 for it's gags.

To each their own.

People here for the fights are majoritarily incapable of enjoying a good story or literature. They'll get more kicks out of trash like MHA, Fairy Tail and Bobobo. Leave the One Pieces, Berserks and Vagaonds of the world for the rest of us to enjoy in peace please. Oda made it very clear that fighting was only secondary in this story, and only ever used to progress minor plot points or to thoroughly overcome obstacles he spent years writing about. How was this not obvious to people that Oda doesn't care about fights or powerscaling much at all after he introduced: good pirates, bad pirates, good marines, bad marines all in the space of the first 3 chapters of the story? One Piece is all about the diaspora of good and bad and the politics and adventures this creates.

I genuinely don't know why these people are even here. Literally everything is somehow contrived to involve or relate to Zoro. Luffy gets G5? "but Zoro__". Warcury has monstrous CoC? "but Zoro___", we find out what the One Piece is? "but Zoro____". It's SO WEIRD
Lol and what made you think I would enjoy trash like My Average Academia and Fairy Fail? It’s precisely the fact that One Piece has failed as a story that people rate it as they do.
Projecting much?
Literally talking about Zoro vs Mihawk, the epilogue of a secondary character. Zoro fans really are obsessed, not everyone is thinking about zoro only, most people are interested in One Piece for the misteries.
And being in One Piece for the fights is the most delusional shit ever. Zoro had 3 fights in the TS. 3 Fights in like 15 years. And you guys are here for the fights.
:suresure: These dudes are straight up incensed, it’s just a Japanese cartoon lol no need to get so worked up.

Lol and what made you think I would enjoy trash like My Average Academia and Fairy Fail? It’s precisely the fact that One Piece has failed as a story that people rate it as they do.

:suresure: These dudes are straight up incensed, it’s just a Japanese cartoon lol no need to get so worked up.
So if I contradict you I am angry? What are you, 5?
It's not me making threads complaining that my teen shonen battle manga is not edgy enough.
:risitasad:

Yes

G5 is trash, not to mention HARAM
THIS !!!

They really couldnt leave out the Shirk could they.
Post automatically merged:

Oda is overdoing it. There can be a mix of goofyness and serious moments. Right now is leaning too hard into the goofy shit

This panel right here shows Oda can flip the switch when he wants too, he just doesnt

Thats so far the best panel of G5 ive seen.

The True Luffy really died when Kaido killed him. What we got now is his corpse and a bad joke.
I feel like the goalpost consistently shifts when it comes to how people perceive Luffy's character on Worstgen

At first (according to people here) the real Luffy died during the timeskip

Now the real Luffy died after 1044

People have been calling Luffy condom, golden boy, chosen one, Goofy, etc since the timeskip began

Might be the best example of historic recurrence I've seen in an anime fandom

Luffy has always been a garbage character. There I said it. Gear 5 only brought that much to light. For which I'm very grateful. The Luffy meatriders will gobble that shit up like anything Loda pulls out his ass because they never liked or understood Luffy to begin with. A retcon this big means nothing to them. Kekfy after all is meant to be a clean slate vanilla character that Odadrones can safely self-insert into without the fear of ever losing, be that via self-inserting into Serious Luffy, Half-serious Luffy, Looney tunes Luffy, Nazi Luffy, or any other shitty flavor of Luffy.... It really doesn't matter for the average Luffy "fan". Any of these templates suffice for the glory-hunting escapist fantasy they yearn for. Luffy "fans" are not really fans of the character, because they don't attribute a character to Luffy in the first place, they only attribute themselves in Luffy. They are the biggest haters of One Piece, unironically. The story becoming better is only an afterthought for these fraud fans, all they want is more Luffy wank, in any flavor that might be.

I feel like the goalpost consistently shifts when it comes to how people perceive Luffy's character on Worstgen

At first (according to people here) the real Luffy died during the timeskip

Now the real Luffy died after 1044

People have been calling Luffy condom, golden boy, chosen one, Goofy, etc since the timeskip began

Might be the best example of historic recurrence I've seen in an anime fandom
Nah, the best of that example is "Luffy can one shot Zoro" that occured every time Luffy got a PU, especially since 1010. @HA001, @Lor D. Coast, and @nik87 are familiar with this. :emohiyo:

:milaugh:I don't see the point in retconning G5 into past fights. If I retcon G5 into past fights, Crocodile, Lucci, Doffy, Katakuri, and the rest are getting their ass beat a hell of a lot quicker because even if you take out the gags, G5 is too overpowered for those characters. It would be no competition. Marineford would be different because Luffy in G5 would raise holy hell to save Ace. He would unleash toon force like no other on Marineford, can you imagine that shit. If done right, it would be off-the- fucking-chain crazy, and I would fucking enjoy it.:steef: Hell, by the time he reached Kaido, Luffy would have complete mastery of G5, and the Kaido fight would not have lasted as long. If Oda was a dark writer, whoo boy, the absolute chaos and horror, G5 Luffy could do while laughing like a manic.

The introduction of G5 Luffy that early in the story, and Luffy and gang would have found the one piece years ago.
Ah…so it seems like just like the other person you think that all that matters about Gear 5 is the strength level? Seems like just avoiding the topic to me.
Do you think that Gear 5 would have made the moments with Bellamy or Charloss (weaklings that Luffy could easily defeat) any better?

The Bellamy fight was nowhere near as long as the Gear 5 vs Kaido one, so trying to cite “how quickly they would get their asses beat” just makes no sense.
Bellamy got his ass beat in 1 attack but Luffy wasn’t smiling nor laughing.

Even if one were to entertain the strength argument, do you really think that One Piece would be a better story if Luffy just breezes through all those earlier fights? Or it was a gag fest like Foxy?
Cuz it’s pretty weird then that you deny Luffy vs Foxy being the best fight instead of one of the serious ones.

It’s not adding up because the “goofy things” don’t seem to have as much primacy for you as you claimed…

It works for me. I like that Luffy shits on all the villains that are oh so serious in comical ways. I don't care about how other people feel about it. The juxtaposition between Luffy being silly while the villains are trying their hardest seriously is entertaining to me. Opposites can work, that's what juxtaposition is. You keep saying that it doesn't make sense that a fun thing is happening at the same thing as a serious thing, but that's the point. It's used often in literature. You don't have to like it like I said before, but it can work and it does for many people. Not going to continue this convo after this because there's clearly no point to it, but your opinion isn't the end all and more people off this forum like gear 5 and the insane shit it does than those that dislike it. Have a good one.

:kayneshrug:
That’s fine, but it does raise questions. Just as I asked the other guy, did you have the likes of Luffy vs Buggy or Luffy vs Foxy over the serious fights before Gear 5?
Did you find those fights where Luffy was hardly smiling or laughing at all to be dreadful to go through? Because that’s been majority of the manga up till this point, so it just seems odd to suffer through all that if you didn’t really like it.
Juxtaposition only works if the opposing elements are balanced but that’s not the case with Gear 5. When everything is treated as a joke then what is left to be taken seriously?

How about the change in Luffy’s character? Did you not like Luffy when he was taking villains seriously and treating their actions as nothing to laugh about?
I’d say that’s an important contrast that simply doesn’t work because they are polar opposites of behaviour.
It’s maybe something that could work with a completely new character, but having an existing character drastically change into the opposite isn’t even a little off-putting?

Failing such as what? Not wanking Zoro the same way Zbois do?

My point is people here just for the fights aren't going to rate OP. 90% of these people are Zbois. Zoro gets one good fight every 5 years on average. You have 5 years of angry, stroppy, discontent before you get your fight and it lasts a couple weeks, then back to normal.

The fact of the matter is OP as a story simply is not about fighting or powerscaling. That's of secondary concern to the main plot and world that Oda has built. Not that you'd ever understand that but still