Character Discussion Does G5/Looney Tunes ruin this manga ?

Is G5/Looney Tunes good or bad for this manga

• Good

Votes: 36 36.0%
  • Bad

Votes: 64 64.0%

• Total voters
That’s fine, but it does raise questions. Just as I asked the other guy, did you have the likes of Luffy vs Buggy or Luffy vs Foxy over the serious fights before Gear 5?
Did you find those fights where Luffy was hardly smiling or laughing at all to be dreadful to go through? Because that’s been majority of the manga up till this point, so it just seems odd to suffer through all that if you didn’t really like it.
Juxtaposition only works if the opposing elements are balanced but that’s not the case with Gear 5. When everything is treated as a joke then what is left to be taken seriously?

How about the change in Luffy’s character? Did you not like Luffy when he was taking villains seriously and treating their actions as nothing to laugh about?
I’d say that’s an important contrast that simply doesn’t work because they are polar opposites of behaviour.
It’s maybe something that could work with a completely new character, but having an existing character drastically change into the opposite isn’t even a little off-putting?
They cappin...they loved this Luffy

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https://i.redd.it/dgir17icjhu71.png

------
Honestly my biggest qualms with Luffy before was he stole the spotlight from others. Now my biggest qualm is he is a clown.

Nikuzi

⚓𝒫𝒾𝓇𝒶𝓉𝑒 𝒬𝓊𝑒𝑒𝓃 𝒮𝑒𝓃𝒸𝒽𝑜𝓊⚓
That’s fine, but it does raise questions. Just as I asked the other guy, did you have the likes of Luffy vs Buggy or Luffy vs Foxy over the serious fights before Gear 5?
Did you find those fights where Luffy was hardly smiling or laughing at all to be dreadful to go through? Because that’s been majority of the manga up till this point, so it just seems odd to suffer through all that if you didn’t really like it.
Juxtaposition only works if the opposing elements are balanced but that’s not the case with Gear 5. When everything is treated as a joke then what is left to be taken seriously?

How about the change in Luffy’s character? Did you not like Luffy when he was taking villains seriously and treating their actions as nothing to laugh about?
I’d say that’s an important contrast that simply doesn’t work because they are polar opposites of behaviour.
It’s maybe something that could work with a completely new character, but having an existing character drastically change into the opposite isn’t even a little off-putting?
Decided against not replying anymore because there seems to be a misunderstanding that I want to clear up. I don't dislike serious or traditionally cool things. I liked Luffy's serious fights too. I like the goofy fights as well. What matters to me is entertainment factor in regards to fights, and I find cool fights like Luffy vs Kata and insane fights like what's happening on egghead both entertaining. There's no disconnect for me because I enjoy both. That said, I think this is personally better than a generic powerup that was just stronger haki again. If Luffy just got a generic powerup that made him stronger I would probably still enjoy the fights and the series, I just happen to like this more because it's unique, and highly entertaining, plus I also do actually think it's cool too. People only act like its one or the other, but I think Luffy fucking destroying Kizaru and Saturn into flat paper is both funny and sick. This baseball moment in this chapter with Luffy uprooting a tree, turning it into a bat, and knocking the poison away that were as strong as nukes in SECONDS? Fucking madness but also awesome. Luffy running through the sky, grabbing lightning, and deforming Kaido with nutty punches? SICK AS FUCK.

Both things can be true at the same time,

I don't mind the goofyness, I just hate the inconsistent drawbacks of G4 and G5. One minute it incapacitates & immobilizes Luffy completely and he needs to be saved, the next he can still fight after G4 or can instantly restart G5.

Failing such as what? Not wanking Zoro the same way Zbois do?

My point is people here just for the fights aren't going to rate OP. 90% of these people are Zbois. Zoro gets one good fight every 5 years on average. You have 5 years of angry, stroppy, discontent before you get your fight and it lasts a couple weeks, then back to normal.

The fact of the matter is OP as a story simply is not about fighting or powerscaling. That's of secondary concern to the main plot and world that Oda has built. Not that you'd ever understand that but still
:lawsigh: Man…I can’t with this. Stick with your theories or something because this ain’t it.

"This manga has always been non serious. it's fun "

Lies, the manga was serious and fun at the same time
The easiest way to explain it is that there is a difference between a serious series with comedic moments and a comedic series with serious moments.

If we take the works of Shinichirō Watanabe as examples, there is a clear difference between Cowboy Bebop and Space Dandy. The former is a serious series with funny moments, sometimes even an occasional humorous misadventure episode (e.g. that lobster episode) while the latter is a comedy focused series with some serious moments (Laika... :catcry:). The difference is what gets the focus. Cowboy Bebop is predominantly serious while Space Dandy is predominantly comedic.

One Piece is a serious series with comedic moments and Luffy's previous fights were typically serious fights with some comedic moments. Gear 5 seemingly 180°s this by turning Luffy's fights into a series of gags. Comedic fights with an occasional serious moment. It is hard to take them seriously right now. Perhaps Oda might find a better balance in the future but I am not hopeful.

Failing such as what? Not wanking Zoro the same way Zbois do?

My point is people here just for the fights aren't going to rate OP. 90% of these people are Zbois. Zoro gets one good fight every 5 years on average. You have 5 years of angry, stroppy, discontent before you get your fight and it lasts a couple weeks, then back to normal.

The fact of the matter is OP as a story simply is not about fighting or powerscaling. That's of secondary concern to the main plot and world that Oda has built. Not that you'd ever understand that but still
These people live in a parallel universe, where One Piece is not the best selling manga today nor the most important ongoing manga for Shueisha, and One Piece is falling down and nobody is reading it because X.

Nikuzi

⚓𝒫𝒾𝓇𝒶𝓉𝑒 𝒬𝓊𝑒𝑒𝓃 𝒮𝑒𝓃𝒸𝒽𝑜𝓊⚓
These people live in a parallel universe, where One Piece is not the best selling manga today nor the most important ongoing manga for Shueisha, and One Piece is falling down and nobody is reading it because X.
Yeah I mean I dont care if someone doesn't like it if I do but its really weird how many people that get upset about the manga pretend its dying

It's like they're trying to manifest it into reality, dont worry i'm sure if you say its dying a few more times it'll happen

any day now

Decided against not replying anymore because there seems to be a misunderstanding that I want to clear up. I don't dislike serious or traditionally cool things. I liked Luffy's serious fights too. I like the goofy fights as well. What matters to me is entertainment factor in regards to fights, and I find cool fights like Luffy vs Kata and insane fights like what's happening on egghead both entertaining. There's no disconnect for me because I enjoy both. That said, I think this is personally better than a generic powerup that was just stronger haki again. If Luffy just got a generic powerup that made him stronger I would probably still enjoy the fights and the series, I just happen to like this more because it's unique, and highly entertaining, plus I also do actually think it's cool too. People only act like its one or the other, but I think Luffy fucking destroying Kizaru and Saturn into flat paper is both funny and sick. This baseball moment in this chapter with Luffy uprooting a tree, turning it into a bat, and knocking the poison away that were as strong as nukes in SECONDS? Fucking madness but also awesome. Luffy running through the sky, grabbing lightning, and deforming Kaido with nutty punches? SICK AS FUCK.

Both things can be true at the same time,
That’s all fine. I simply ask because a lot of the time “I like both,” turns out to be that the person just clearly liked one more than the other. You’d see the most “serious” fights at the top of their list and the “goofy” ones taking second fiddle….but it’s only when the controversy around Gear 4 rose that they all of a sudden prefer the goofy ones.

That’s the disconnect I tend to see, so it just seems off.

Some of the elements that you describe as “SICK AS FUCK” are also the ones that most people have no problem with. Grabbing lightning, turning things into rubber, etc are not problematic in the slightest. No ones carrying pitchforks about those.
It’s the ones that take away from the seriousness of the moment that garner the complaints.

At the end of the day, the climax of a life & death fight is not where most go to seek “funny.” It makes it hard to believe that someone who likes that ever appreciated the serious fights to begin with.
It’s like if Bonney’s torment about Ginny’s rape and her dad’s suffering was dumped in the middle of an end of arc party.

I think the seriousness will come back soon. If you think about it, Joyboy 800 years ago must have been super silly too. Yet he lost, everything went to shit, Zunesha exiled, his apology to fishmen, the robot's apology to him. Did he die, and if so how exactly ? Luffy seems invulnerable, how do you kill someone like that ?

Using Impel Down as an example because both is about escape. There was lots of goofy moments during the escape but they did the tensions right unlike the trash today.

Last edited: