General & Others Doflamingo is the best written villain in all manga and this is why

S

Sugimoto 14

Best villain in One Piece? Yeah sure. Best villain in manga? Yeah no.

The best villain in manga is Johan Liebert.

I'll post below info on Johan that I wrote in the past

Johan Liebert is the titular monster of the series. He is the main antagonist of the entire manga.
At first glance, one would describe Johan as a well-mannered, charismatic, and compassionate yet somewhat reserved young man who possesses a plethora of favourable traits and can easily overwhelm individuals with his seemingly flawless nature, as seen with Hans, who describes him as being not of this world. This meticulously crafted facade makes it easy for him to make new allies and manipulate them into doing various deeds for him through the influence of his supposed friendship and good will. With such skill in creating this sense of perfection and pureness, Johan hides his true motives with ease.

Within this contrived exterior, however, Johan callously delivers destruction and suffering to those who happen to fall prey to his schemes. Even before his tenure at Kinderheim 511, Johan still exhibits psychopathic tendencies. For instance, most of his murders, both in childhood and adulthood, have been premeditated and calculated.

Johan often shows a complete disregard for life by pointing to his forehead, inviting Dr. Kenzo Tenma to shoot him.

The product of a clandestine eugenics program founded to create an “übermensch” intended to lead all of humanity, the boy who later came to be known as Johan and his sister were subjected to unspeakable cruelties by their handlers. An uncompromisingly cruel and violent sociopath, Johan’s outward exterior is nonetheless that of a generous and soft-spoken young man with a naturally affable personality. Caught being the split of two dissociative personalities; one sadistic, the other helplessly empathic, Johan’s talent for persuasion is best exemplified in one of his most favorite hobbies: grooming serial killers. Johan possesses an intuitive, almost preternatural ability to identify the latent neurosis of psychopathic personalities, ingratiating himself with them, beguiling them, until finally manipulating them to commit acts of violence on his behalf through a combination of equal parts intimidation and seduction.

Many of Johan's beliefs run consistent with nihilism, as he does not see any meaning to life. He claims, 'Most of this universe is 'death' anyway,' and that to the universe, 'most lives are just specks in a corner of the earth, gone in a flash.'

Johan also has a tendency to make his victims experience the worst possible loss and suffering rather than actually killing them himself; this experience often leads to the victims killing themselves, however. Helmut Wolf is a prime example of this; instead of simply being killed, Wolf is forced to watch as all of his close relatives and acquaintances die, one after another, all so he can feel what Johan felt, solitude.

What is so frightening about Johan is that he possesses this terrifying ability to turn people into monsters using just his words. For instance, he could turn them into serial killers without even lifting a finger. The usage of his manipulative tactics exposes the true nature of humans and using this, he corrupts their souls. In a way, he exposes humanity in its worst image, portraying them as nothing but psychotic killers. Furthermore, these tactics were displayed from an early age, where he was the cause of a tragic massacre at his orphanage, 511 Kinderheim. On that occasion he used stories in order to convince the children that were there with him to murder the staff and then murder each other whilst he was sitting on his throne and observing all of it. During the massacre in Kinderheim 511 fifty children and instructors were in a chaotic battle, all of them fighting and killing. Whilst all of this is happening, Johan just sits on a throne and watches as the chaos unfolds and the whole orphanage becomes engulfed in flames.

He is a genius-level mastermind with the goal of being the only one standing, although that changes later in the series.

Johan uses his wits to commit his evil with no help from supernatural elements at all. Just with his manipulative tactics, intelligence and the knowledge of how the human mind can be corrupted. Then he executes his plan, creating monsters out of nothing except carefully chosen words. That's what makes him genuinely horrifying. The scary thing about the way this character is portrayed is that a person like this could actually exist in real life, there could be someone out there like Johan in this world. The realism this character expresses throughout the anime really makes you think about the possibility that there could be a person like this out there, which is what makes him that much scarier.

Johan's experiences as a child could make one wonder if Johan is truly THE monster or was he shaped that way by the people around him. In order not to spoil much, I will briefly go through them. Johan was experimented upon and was being raised as the new Hitler by the government. Kinderheim 511, where Johan was sent, was a horrid place where children were treated like criminals and experimented on in an attempt by the government to create perfect soldiers. Johan's mentors had always nurtured Johan's skill for manipulating others with no conscience. However, when confronted, they claimed that Johan was already a "monster" when he first came to the orphanage.

The crucial, defining difference between Johan and others is substance to the claim of his supremacy. Despite all that he was able to accomplish over the course of Naoki Urasawa’s Monster — manipulating over fifty people to kill one another through suggestion alone, framing the man who saved his life for murder, operating a massive money laundering operation at the heart of Germany, and coordinating a shadow network of killers to do his bidding— Johan has no special abilities to speak of, save for intelligence. No magical notebook capable of killing anyone whose name is written in its pages, no unholy totem gifting him with the blessing of divine fate, no special devil fruits that bestow magical powers, nothing. He is a human being, no more and no less, and that is precisely what makes him so terrifying. Furthermore, he exemplifies best the key idea that evil, far from being a vast and inhuman concept, is actually intimate. He is as a spider, weaving a web of criminality and chaos wherever he goes. Finally, he is, without question, a monster.
the monster ending kinda sucked and hurt johans character for me.

Ryofui and Askeladd clear >>>>>>>>

Sure, he taking over a nation in 1 night was cool.
Imagine you sleep in the night as usual, not knowing what's gonna happen tomorrow, then by the time you wake up: voila! A new president. And the old president is now a villain.
Him taking over a nation in just 1 night is crazy.

But "best villain in all manga"? Nope.
Again,
1. He talked "won't underestimate Luffy like previous villains" yet all bullshit. Set a trap for Luffy with Mera Mera no Mi which then backfired (this one is not entirely Doffy's mistake though, who would have thought Sabo would appear?).
Then laughed at Boundman appearance, only to get ragdolled.
2. Shit his pants just to hype Kaido.
3. Threat level wise, imo his threat level wasn't even comparable to Crocodile's.

This is what Crocodile did to Luffy

Luffy who was seemingly invincible from the beginning of series until Alabasta, suddenly got defeated by Crocodile, two times in a row.

While Doffy, not only Oda showed him chickened out against Aokiji just moment before Dressrosa (sure it is Aokiji out of all people but still), then shitted his pants thinking about Kaido. Then in his arc, everybody knows there is greater danger than Doflamingo. The sleeping tiger Fujitora. Sabo was also arguably stronger than Doffy the arc villain. So threat level, Crocodile was bigger, he was untouchable monster in Alabasta arc, never shitted his pants in Alabastas. While Doffy shitted pants and we know there are stronger characters than him in his own arc.
Dude , doffy has a whole army against him , he was fighting law and luffy at the same time , law’s gamma knife is a killing move , he didn’t underestimate luffy , he said that he had the speed and the weight but he needs to combine them , man , how could he predict that all of the colesseum fighters will turn against him
Post automatically merged:

Sure, he taking over a nation in 1 night was cool.
Imagine you sleep in the night as usual, not knowing what's gonna happen tomorrow, then by the time you wake up: voila! A new president. And the old president is now a villain.
Him taking over a nation in just 1 night is crazy.

But "best villain in all manga"? Nope.
Again,
1. He talked "won't underestimate Luffy like previous villains" yet all bullshit. Set a trap for Luffy with Mera Mera no Mi which then backfired (this one is not entirely Doffy's mistake though, who would have thought Sabo would appear?).
Then laughed at Boundman appearance, only to get ragdolled.
2. Shit his pants just to hype Kaido.
3. Threat level wise, imo his threat level wasn't even comparable to Crocodile's.

This is what Crocodile did to Luffy

Luffy who was seemingly invincible from the beginning of series until Alabasta, suddenly got defeated by Crocodile, two times in a row.

While Doffy, not only Oda showed him chickened out against Aokiji just moment before Dressrosa (sure it is Aokiji out of all people but still), then shitted his pants thinking about Kaido. Then in his arc, everybody knows there is greater danger than Doflamingo. The sleeping tiger Fujitora. Sabo was also arguably stronger than Doffy the arc villain. So threat level, Crocodile was bigger, he was untouchable monster in Alabasta arc, never shitted his pants in Alabastas. While Doffy shitted pants and we know there are stronger characters than him in his own arc.
Yes in dressrosa he was completely fucked up , but he is the first villain to have all this enemies in one arc , and that fits him and his writing

Dude , doffy has a whole army against him , he was fighting law and luffy at the same time , law’s gamma knife is a killing move , he didn’t underestimate luffy , he said that he had the speed and the weight but he needs to combine them , man , how could he predict that all of the colesseum fighters will turn against him

Yes in dressrosa he was completely fucked up , but he is the first villain to have all this enemies in one arc , and that fits him and his writing
Whole army of fodders that will get wiped out by single CoC.

Crocodile was more dangerous.
Luffy was unbeatable since beginning of series, all the way to Alabasta arc.
Yet against Crocodile, he lost, badly, twice in a row. Luffy only survived thanks to: a) Robin secretly helping him b) plot armor made of water

While Doffy, already teamed up with Fuji against Law, yet in the end Law managed to escape.

S

Sugimoto 14

Luffy best protagonist???
The best animanga protagonists that I have encountered thus far are Lelouch Lamperouge and Guts.

Luffy is pretty high up just slightly below these two characters.

Controversially, I am a huge fan of Natsuki Subaru's character from Re:Zero (I read the light novels, and his character development is amazing).

Let's then add Kenzo Tenma from Monster to round out my top 5.

Whole army of fodders that will get wiped out by single CoC.

Crocodile was more dangerous.
Luffy was unbeatable since beginning of series, all the way to Alabasta arc.
Yet against Crocodile, he lost, badly, twice in a row. Luffy only survived thanks to: a) Robin secretly helping him b) plot armor made of water

While Doffy, already teamed up with Fuji against Law, yet in the end Law managed to escape.
Fodders ? Iam talking about cavendish and the others

Cavendish didn't fight Doffy.
Doffy fought Luffy, Law, and bunch of fodder gladiators.

That's impressive. Yet Crocodile broke Luffy'e unbeatable record and handed him 2 Ls in row is more impressive.
You said it , what if something as smart as law was in alabasta? Anyway , doffy will appear in the story again , he will have some moments

doflamingo is not even one piece best written villain. and how can you say he is better than griffith if you have not even finished the first arc of berserk? should have just not included griffith in the list

Last edited:
I know this will be very controversial but I am ready.
So the contenders for me will be Doflamingo , Johan Libert , Meruem , Griffith , Askeladd (without order)

They are all complex villains , and for me they are all nearly equal in terms of quality but I will say why I chose Doflamingo.

Talking about Doflamingo , a villain whose story pushed the whole story of one piece to a new level , and added more depth to the politics of one piece , the most special thing about him is how detailed his story is , every Doflamingo's scene added more to his character ,

when we saw his flashback as a kid , it felt like the whole story and politics of one piece was building for his character , we saw how the nobles were raised , how they were seperated from the commoners , and how Doffy were taken from this paradise and how he developed after that . and how people around him was involved in this development.

So my main points here are the extreme details and the connection with the whole story and the world of one piece.
Johan has something like that , detailed story but I think it lacks some details especially in Johan's way to manipulate people , but he is a perfect villain.

Meruem was a different experience , it was like a story of a kid born was 200IQ exploring the world , his development was great but Doflamingo's connection to the whole world of one piece made him slightly better .

for Griffith , I haven't finished the golden age arc yet , maybe after i finish Berserk he will be better, I don't know ,but I chose Doflamingo over him relatively.

Askeladd is the closest one to Doflamingo in terms of characteristics but he didn't have the same tragic past of course . but I think Doffy overs him by details too .

these are slight differences , but I think they are worth mentioning because sadly many people don't appreciate the great writing of Doflamingo because they just ignore it.

I want detailed answers please.
Comparing Doffy to Askeladd is like comparing filth to heaven

Doffy is trash

Not talking about actions
Talking about character
Oh lol , your opinion is trash bro , no one cares for it , as i said , askeladd is the least one in this list , saying that he is better than doffy just makes you a clown , I think being a clown is your purpose right?

Not talking about actions
Talking about character
I should’ve realized it lol, you are giving no reasons , no proofs , just throwing clown’s opinion, you are not someone I should take seriously, I hesitated to put askeladd in this list because he can’t match the other 4 , but you killed it , probably i will remove him

Oh lol , your opinion is trash bro , no one cares for it , as i said , askeladd is the least one in this list , saying that he is better than doffy just makes you a clown , I think being a clown is your purpose right?

I should’ve realized it lol, you are giving no reasons , no proofs , just throwing clown’s opinion, you are not someone I should take seriously, I hesitated to put askeladd in this list because he can’t match the other 4 , but you killed it , probably i will remove him
So I’m clown cause I think Doffy is trash character
Cool