General & Others Doflamingo is the best written villain in all manga and this is why

Croco boy has major trust issues, but I think he somehow overcame them after his fight with Luffy and realizing how Luffy will go to the ends of hell to protect his nakama. I don't remember but in Marinford didn't he say something along the lines, you gotta protect the ones you want to protect". Then also the way he appears in Roger's flashback, his secret that Ivankov knows. Him going for Whitebeard's head and wanting to become powerful enough by obtaining the pluton so that no one can touch him. There are too many loose ends connected to Croco's character. Hope Oda will reveal later what's his deal is.

Crocodile was one dimensional in Alabasta but he pulls it off well. Intelligent? Check. Arrogant? Check. Betrays people? Check. Has a goal of gaining status? Check. Subordinates are nothing but tools? Check. Alabasta Crocodile was hardly nuanced. Rob Lucci is also one dimensional for example, but he's nothing but a hired gun.

Doflamingo not only has thematic value, but is also great in execution.
Crocodile went through some development too, if you have read cover stories, we saw crocodile refusing to leave from impel down, him taking Mr 1 with him and helping Luffy protect Ace in Marineford etc.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
I know that doflamingo is great in execution, iam talking about the other villains and anti heroes in one piece , the bar is pretty high , and who said that his subordinates are tools ? He is still working with mr1 until this day , his desire for pluton and the military, his desire for revenge and his feeling of failure in impel down , this added depth to his character, lucci was a WG weapon , he has no emotion but he is not a tool , we saw that he let chimney and her rabbit to follow him , this means he loves himself more than the WG ,
Crocodile went through some development too, if you have read cover stories, we saw crocodile refusing to leave from impel down, him taking Mr 1 with him and helping Luffy protect Ace in Marineford etc.
I'm talking about Alabasta Crocodile. Crocodile wasn't a villain in MF and the little we find out about him doesn't add much context to his role as a villain in Alabasta.

I'm talking about Alabasta Crocodile. Crocodile wasn't a villain in MF and the little we find out about him doesn't add much context to his role as a villain in Alabasta.
Doffy is better obviously, but I don’t agree with croco being 1 dimensional, we have seen two different sides of him and Oda has more in store for him atleast I hope so with regards to his secret and him going to new world.

Last edited:
I know this will be very controversial but I am ready.
So the contenders for me will be Doflamingo , Johan Libert , Meruem , Griffith , Askeladd (without order)

They are all complex villains , and for me they are all nearly equal in terms of quality but I will say why I chose Doflamingo.

Talking about Doflamingo , a villain whose story pushed the whole story of one piece to a new level , and added more depth to the politics of one piece , the most special thing about him is how detailed his story is , every Doflamingo's scene added more to his character ,

when we saw his flashback as a kid , it felt like the whole story and politics of one piece was building for his character , we saw how the nobles were raised , how they were seperated from the commoners , and how Doffy were taken from this paradise and how he developed after that . and how people around him was involved in this development.

So my main points here are the extreme details and the connection with the whole story and the world of one piece.
Johan has something like that , detailed story but I think it lacks some details especially in Johan's way to manipulate people , but he is a perfect villain.

Meruem was a different experience , it was like a story of a kid born was 200IQ exploring the world , his development was great but Doflamingo's connection to the whole world of one piece made him slightly better .

for Griffith , I haven't finished the golden age arc yet , maybe after i finish Berserk he will be better, I don't know ,but I chose Doflamingo over him relatively.

Askeladd is the closest one to Doflamingo in terms of characteristics but he didn't have the same tragic past of course . but I think Doffy overs him by details too .

these are slight differences , but I think they are worth mentioning because sadly many people don't appreciate the great writing of Doflamingo because they just ignore it.

I want detailed answers please.

That despite how badass Doffy is he feared Kaido so much but I can't biasimate Doffy for it.
Doffy knows no fear. It was just his reaction. Doffy is pure evil and always has a plan under his sleave, aka, Joker. Kaido is indeed troublesome, but Doffy will never run a battle once he on to it, if his plans are other things he will pass, but not run.
Post automatically merged:

Doflamingo is a seinen villain in a shonen manga.

Last edited:
I agree that Doffy is the best in op. I expect Teach to surpass him, but for now Doffy is the most complete. The struggles that he’s been through, his overestimation of Luffy and even his fear of Kaido humanize him.

He’s nowhere near the strongest, nor is he anywhere near the most powerful politically, but he plays every hand that he’s dealt brilliantly, and finds leverage wherever he can, allowing him to have an exceptional level of influence in both the pirate world and in the WG.

The major area he falls flat is him lacking a clear endgame. He wants to create and profit from chaos. He claims that he aims to topple the celestial dragons, but this seems unrealistic, especially for someone who preaches realism and practicality so much,

I can only speak to manga I’ve read, and imo pain/nagato is a joke not even in the same ballpark.

Pariston is arguably more entertaining to see in action, but he’s too in control; wins even when he loses and seems to always be 10 steps ahead of everyone. Light sort of fits into this bucket as well. Imho a great villain also needs to exhibit real weaknesses and struggles of their own.

Mereum never resonated with me. One expects a lot to be possible when you’re a super creature.

mhm i think light yagami was badass and psycho as fuck, god delusioned he's my n1, plus he is the only villain whos the main character and also he won lol

Nah

Doffy doesn't crack even the list of top 6 anime/manga villains
Whether One dimensional or well developed, I don't feel Doffy to be that imposing.

Doffy isn't iconic

Crocodile > doffy

I agree that Doffy is the best in op. I expect Teach to surpass him, but for now Doffy is the most complete. The struggles that he’s been through, his overestimation of Luffy and even his fear of Kaido humanize him.

He’s nowhere near the strongest, nor is he anywhere near the most powerful politically, but he plays every hand that he’s dealt brilliantly, and finds leverage wherever he can, allowing him to have an exceptional level of influence in both the pirate world and in the WG.

The major area he falls flat is him lacking a clear endgame. He wants to create and profit from chaos. He claims that he aims to topple the celestial dragons, but this seems unrealistic, especially for someone who preaches realism and practicality so much,.
Doflamingo's plan are long term plans , he will took his time and even if he didn’t achieve it , not a problem, it fits the theme of one piece , chasing you dreams , you don’t have to accomplish it , doffy knows that the celestial dragons will be taken down anyway
I hope that Oda have plans for him

Nah

Doffy doesn't crack even the list of top 6 anime/manga villains
Whether One dimensional or well developed, I don't feel Doffy to be that imposing.

Doffy isn't iconic

Crocodile > doffy
How lol , away from his writing,
Doflamingo’s vein popping makes him iconic 😂
Compared to crocodile, he has done greater and cooler things

Last edited:
Not remotely close to best in “all manga”, definitely a great character tho. In one piece out of recency bias, Ive got doffy at the top, Tho crocodile was great too in all honesty
Not remotely close ? Just subjective non sense , if you has something to say then prove it and answer the points I mentioned in the post , you just proved my point by giving no proofs , he is the best villain in all manga

Sure, he taking over a nation in 1 night was cool.
Imagine you sleep in the night as usual, not knowing what's gonna happen tomorrow, then by the time you wake up: voila! A new president. And the old president is now a villain.
Him taking over a nation in just 1 night is crazy.

But "best villain in all manga"? Nope.
Again,
1. He talked "won't underestimate Luffy like previous villains" yet all bullshit. Set a trap for Luffy with Mera Mera no Mi which then backfired (this one is not entirely Doffy's mistake though, who would have thought Sabo would appear?).
Then laughed at Boundman appearance, only to get ragdolled.
2. Shit his pants just to hype Kaido.
3. Threat level wise, imo his threat level wasn't even comparable to Crocodile's.

This is what Crocodile did to Luffy

Luffy who was seemingly invincible from the beginning of series until Alabasta, suddenly got defeated by Crocodile, two times in a row.

While Doffy, not only Oda showed him chickened out against Aokiji just moment before Dressrosa (sure it is Aokiji out of all people but still), then shitted his pants thinking about Kaido. Then in his arc, everybody knows there is greater danger than Doflamingo. The sleeping tiger Fujitora. Sabo was also arguably stronger than Doffy the arc villain. So threat level, Crocodile was bigger, he was untouchable monster in Alabasta arc, never shitted his pants in Alabastas. While Doffy shitted pants and we know there are stronger characters than him in his own arc.