Questions & Mysteries Espada vs Sternritter — Better Antagonists?

H

Haoshoku

He was but Yammy had more character. I liked Yammy's interactions with other Espada. Especially his relationship with Ulquiorra. This dude I hardly remember a panel of him not putting me to sleep.
Well thats a given, the Espadas had more character moments than the Sternritter, the Elite Guards had some interactions during Yhwach’s transformation and absorption of the Soul King, but it was only a chapter. Yammy and Ulquiorra was a great duo, reminds me of Vegeta and Nappa, and to some extent Itachi and Kisame, although Kisame is not as dumb as the other two.

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
Well thats a given, the Espadas had more character moments than the Sternritter, the Elite Guards had some interactions during Yhwach’s transformation and absorption of the Soul King, but it was only a chapter. Yammy and Ulquiorra was a great duo, reminds me of Vegeta and Nappa, and to some extent Itachi and Kisame, although Kisame is not as dumb as the other two.
You're gonna make TAC cry comparing Yammy to Kisame lmfao.

You're right though it was a similar dynamic.

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎

"Not as dumb" Kisame Hoshigaki was a genius. Deciphering enemy tactics before they were allowed to develop, and countering them in seconds. If Kisame had an Espada equal, it would be Barragan. Both drain their enemies of life with the utmost ease.

Its hard to have a top 10 Sternritter list, most of them suck to even consider making a top 10 of them lmao.
Tbh you gotta go off design and powers more than personality. But it's definitely doable. It's like how you can make a top 5 Yonkou list despite most of them being pretty ass.

H

Haoshoku

:kayneshrug:I did say Kisame ain’t fit the bill that much compared to the other two.
Post automatically merged:

"Not as dumb" Kisame Hoshigaki was a genius. Deciphering enemy tactics before they were allowed to develop, and countering them in seconds. If Kisame had an Espada equal, it would be Barragan. Both drain their enemies of life with the utmost ease.

Tbh you gotta go off design and powers more than personality. But it's definitely doable. It's like how you can make a top 5 Yonkou list despite most of them being pretty ass.
It was a loose comparison duo wise, but yeah Kisame is different from the other two. Naruto lowkey the one I remember the least out of the Big 3, so I cant remember all the details but yeah Kisame makes Yammy and Nappa look like kids in in intellect.

what would be your top 10 Sternritter list?

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
I guess they do have a lot of superficial similarities.

— Goth guy and muscular man introduced at the same time.
— Muscular Man takes superficial damage
— Muscular Man is subordinate to Goth Guy
— Both are at the top of their respective groups
— People assume Goth Guy is stronger of the two, but it's later revealed Muscular Man is.
— Muscular Man has a tragic death whereas Goth Guy sort of just drops dead.

ZenZu

They are, I feel Kubo used Itachi/Kisame as a reference to creating the Ulq Yammy dynamic.

Let's not turn this into a Kisame respect thread though I know you're holding yourself back, Hao used the trigger word and didn't mean it, he said sorry lol, please spare us :cry:

Let's talk about how Grimmjow is Kubo's greatest creation

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
They are, I feel Kubo used Itachi/Kisame as a reference to creating the Ulq Yammy dynamic.

Let's not turn this into a Kisame respect thread though I know you're holding yourself back, Hao used the trigger word and didn't mean it, he said sorry lol, please spare us :cry:
It's a little difficult sometimes, seeing people walk around without knowing the greatness that is Kisame. But I'll reel it back this one time. Though a character of his calibre is what Kubo was missing.

Gin is probably Kubo's best work, not Blue Renji.

ZenZu

It's a little difficult sometimes, seeing people walk around without knowing the greatness that is Kisame. But I'll reel it back this one time. Though a character of his calibre is what Kubo was missing.
Lmfao.

Gin is probably Kubo's best work, not Blue Renji.
Be honest you know Grimmjow is nothing like Renji.

Renji is satisfied being a follower. Grimmjow aims for the throne, even if he has to consume his brothers on the way there.

Grimmjow and Ulq the primary reasons Espada shit on Sternritters. Stark is dope in every way aside from battle, Szayel Appolo is great, Nnoitra is cool (the page where he no sells Chads newly discovered punch still gives me chills), Halibel was cool but again disappointed in battle, Barragan's design and powers alone make him great.

Gol D. Roger

ȶɦɛ քɨʀǟȶɛ ӄɨռɢ
As a group of villains, Sternritter shits all over Espada but the later are overall better as characters in general. The Espada left a far deeper impact on the fans than anything Sternritter could ever hope for.

Coyote is the coolest of the two groups, btw.

H

Haoshoku

I think they are similar to Saiyan Saga Vegeta and Nappa moreso than Itachi and Kisame but yeah the similarities are all there.

Grimmjow and Ulq the primary reasons Espada shit on Sternritters. Stark is dope in every way aside from battle, Szayel Appolo is great, Nnoitra is cool (the page where he no sells Chads newly discovered punch still gives me chills), Halibel was cool but again disappointed in battle, Barragan's design and powers alone make him great.
Nnoitra lowkey kinda sucked imo lmao. He had his moments but he was one dimensional as a character, mans only cared about fighting and being the strongest. And his abilities? I mean besides his Hierro which got laughed off the field by Nel and later Kenpachi, his abilities are meh.

Halibel would have beat Toshiro, Lisa and Hiyori, Kubo wrote himself to a corner and had Aizen end the fight for no good reason lmao.

Nnoitra’s entire character summarized in one panel:
:tchpepe: I’d say Syazel is more interesting than this mans. Dare I say Zommari? Lmao sike nah Zommari sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
Was there any bigger of a waste than Zommari in the Espada? Maybe Test tube head, but the fact he had Kaien absorbed into him had a lot of potential just untapped. Zommari, apart from a cool base design was just lame. Fastest Espada was effectively worthless to the 3rd, potentially 4th, fastest Shinigami on the Gotei 13's side. Thought his Arrancar Monk gimmick would be cool, but he just sort of pontificates and dies.
Lmfao.

Be honest you know Grimmjow is nothing like Renji.

Renji is satisfied being a follower. Grimmjow aims for the throne, even if he has to consume his brothers on the way there.

Yeah, yeah. Grimm / Ulquiorra are the fan favorites. And I know there's a reason for that. Grimmjow's rebellous attitudes towards Aizen, the lord of Hax, is pretty cool. And his general demeanor can grab ya. Just not my type of character. He feels like he has no idea where he's going. Being King is great and all, and I know it's his desire to be the best, but it feels nebulous in some ways. A very airy goal. That and he vanishes off the screen only to return in a minor way. If he helped out Ichigo more, I'd be inclined to like'em. But it feels like he's there and then gone.

Ulquiorra's a little better in my book, but the fact half his screen time is against Orihime, who I have a very low opinion of, hinders him. I think his Power Scaling is whack even before Segunta Etapa and his death rattle makes me roll my eyes. But, IMO, the Espada are more interesting due to the relationships they have with one another. The little bit of banter and history we get and because Arrancar in general are just cool as shit.

I do find it cool that Grimmjow was probably one of the first of the second Gen. Espada though.
Nnoitra lowkey kinda sucked imo lmao. He had his moments but he was one dimensional as a character, mans only cared about fighting and being the strongest. And his abilities? I mean besides his Hierro which got laughed off the field by Nel and later Kenpachi, his abilities are meh.
We're gonna have to fight because after Starrk, Nelliel and maybe Baragan, Nnoitra is my favorite Espada. Dude's in the strong half of the Espada and proves it. But I just love his "death", Despair. Love how his explanation to Nelliel (or someone, we really need to do this reread lmao) was the fact he fought essentially to die. He'd keep going after tougher and tougher people, but at the end of the day he thought his life had zero value. Add in some misogyny towards Nelliel (and more than a little sexual tension with her) and that weird love-hate relationship he had with Tesla and I'm hooked.

Nnoitra being one of the only Espada we've seen plotting against their own, making backhanded alliances to get rid of people, is real cool too. Especially because it's personal. He's not doing this to Ulquiorra to be the #4 Espada, but he just can't stand the thought of Nelliel of all people above him.

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
I think they are similar to Saiyan Saga Vegeta and Nappa moreso than Itachi and Kisame but yeah the similarities are all there.

Halibel would have beat Toshiro, Lisa and Hiyori, Kubo wrote himself to a corner and had Aizen end the fight for no good reason lmao.

Nnoitra’s entire character summarized in one panel:
:tchpepe: I’d say Syazel is more interesting than this mans. Dare I say Zommari? Lmao sike nah Zommari sucks.
Nnoitora has an amazing resurrecion :

He also had cool moments :

That bitch attack haha

His relationship with Neil is also something nice:

Last edited:
H

Haoshoku

Was there any bigger of a waste than Zommari in the Espada? Maybe Test tube head, but the fact he had Kaien absorbed into him had a lot of potential just untapped. Zommari, apart from a cool base design was just lame. Fastest Espada was effectively worthless to the 3rd, potentially 4th, fastest Shinigami on the Gotei 13's side. Thought his Arrancar Monk gimmick would be cool, but he just sort of pontificates and dies.

Yeah, yeah. Grimm / Ulquiorra are the fan favorites. And I know there's a reason for that. Grimmjow's rebellous attitudes towards Aizen, the lord of Hax, is pretty cool. And his general demeanor can grab ya. Just not my type of character. He feels like he has no idea where he's going. Being King is great and all, and I know it's his desire to be the best, but it feels nebulous in some ways. A very airy goal. That and he vanishes off the screen only to return in a minor way. If he helped out Ichigo more, I'd be inclined to like'em. But it feels like he's there and then gone.

Ulquiorra's a little better in my book, but the fact half his screen time is against Orihime, who I have a very low opinion of, hinders him. I think his Power Scaling is whack even before Segunta Etapa and his death rattle makes me roll my eyes. But, IMO, the Espada are more interesting due to the relationships they have with one another. The little bit of banter and history we get and because Arrancar in general are just cool as shit.

I do find it cool that Grimmjow was probably one of the first of the second Gen. Espada though.

We're gonna have to fight because after Starrk, Nelliel and maybe Baragan, Nnoitra is my favorite Espada. Dude's in the strong half of the Espada and proves it. But I just love his "death", Despair. Love how his explanation to Nelliel (or someone, we really need to do this reread lmao) was the fact he fought essentially to die. He'd keep going after tougher and tougher people, but at the end of the day he thought his life had zero value. Add in some misogyny towards Nelliel (and more than a little sexual tension with her) and that weird love-hate relationship he had with Tesla and I'm hooked.

Nnoitra being one of the only Espada we've seen plotting against their own, making backhanded alliances to get rid of people, is real cool too. Especially because it's personal. He's not doing this to Ulquiorra to be the #4 Espada, but he just can't stand the thought of Nelliel of all people above him.
Maybe we do gotta do a reread lol, but Nnoitra wasn’t that interesting to me, I liked some of the moments he had, like when he appeared and took out Grimmjow:
And some other moments. But character wise, mans didn’t really cut it for me and his fighting style and resserucion was as cut and dry as you could get with the Espada. He only had the hardest hierro shit going him which was only in base more than likely.

He's not doing this to Ulquiorra to be the #4 Espada,
Thats cuz Ulquiorra would clap him, but he wasn’t afraid to approach Ulquiorra for info from what I remember so there’s that.

Nnoitora has an amazing resurrection :

He also had cool moments :

That bitch attack haha

His relationship with Neil is also something nice:

Out of all the Espada he had the best looking weapon for sure imo, I’ll give you that but I mean only thing mans gets in his Resserucion is multiple arms and doesn’t even get a special ability. I aint saying he’s terrible yall, just as a character he kinda sucked imo.

H

Haoshoku

This was cool.
This scene was done very well in the anime. Might as well take the aspect of despair from Nnoitra and give it to Ulquiorra lmao, mans showed Ichigo true despair and even said so to Ichigo’s face:
But Imma stop roasting Nnoitra.

As a group of villains, Sternritter shits all over Espada but the later are overall better as characters in general. The Espada left a far deeper impact on the fans than anything Sternritter could ever hope for.

Coyote is the coolest of the two groups, btw.
You also changed to Urahara avy :LOL:

Too many Bleach fans crawling out of their caves

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
Maybe we do gotta do a reread lol, but Nnoitra wasn’t that interesting to me, I liked some of the moments he had, like when he appeared and took out Grimmjow:
And some other moments. But character wise, mans didn’t really cut it for me and his fighting style and resserucion was as cut and dry as you could get with the Espada. He only had the hardest hierro shit going him which was only in base more than likely.

Thats cuz Ulquiorra would clap him, but he wasn’t afraid to approach Ulquiorra for info from what I remember so there’s that.

Out of all the Espada he had the best looking weapon for sure imo, I’ll give you that but I mean only thing mans gets in his Resserucion is multiple arms and doesn’t even get a special ability. I aint saying he’s terrible yall, just as a character he kinda sucked imo.
If his Hierro was only the hardest in base then he'd of had to be one hell of a fighter to keep his #5 spot with nothing else going for him lmao. I love Nnoitra trying to intimidate Ulquiorra back at the beginning of the Hueco Mundo arc. Man's just all over the place.
This was cool.
Barragan was so underused. Hachi and Soi Fong of all people get to kill him. This does make me wonder what Nelliel's "death" was. Unless deaths are just tied to each Espada's rank, but I kind of doubt it.
You also changed to Urahara avy :LOL:

Too many Bleach fans crawling out of their caves
We're grabbing every Bleach fan we can before taking over this website lmao.