Character Discussion Evil Shanks doesn’t make sense

This is one piece mind you, you would think oda has higher standards then writing a seemingly a terrible fan fiction plot .

He is just twisted in someway IMO but not evil...if you think shanks is evil after at this point after all what we saw from him then I don’t know what to tell you

also if shanks was evil this means to me:

- Luffy has to defeat him which is ridiculous...what’s the point of defeating shanks when you already defeated the great pirate Charlotte linlin ?

- it will also means his conflict with Blackbeard might be as well canceled .

Shanks will be showing at the end of Big Mom third arc (elbaf) after Luffy defeated her...he acknowledges him as his superior...they have fun Davy back fight for couple chapters and that it imo.

after that shanks vs Blackbeard and yea..

It would be a pleasant plot twist. He doesn't need to be Evil, just walking on the grey area is enough, but Oda won't do that. He wouldn't risk his popularity like that

Big mom , black beard & im are some of the most well written and evil villains. No need to ruin shanks...

I think shanks fans came up with this because they thought that the only way he could be relevant.

The trickster archetype is what shanks NEEDS to be, the only way to truly make him interesting and not just another good guy or bad guy but more in the grey. Think of like a Hisoka where you're kind of like........wait is he actually a bad dude or? then he does something insane and you're like ya he's out of his mind....then all of a sudden he does the exact opposite and now you don't know what to think. Since he is also the odd one out from amongst his yonko peers and seems to be the type of guy to switch on a dime, the guy can meet up with the highest ranking dudes in the government but at the same time has a crazy high bounty, is willing to be kind when needed but also rips you're arm right off if you cross the line, he is cunning but also sometimes embodies the fool where things may backfire on him. I would employ you guys to read up on this archetype because what shanks is hinted to be is quite similar to that.

Big mom , black beard & im are some of the most well written and evil villains. No need to ruin shanks...

I think shanks fans came up with this because they thought that the only way he could be relevant.
Nobody is coming up with anything, the weird shit he does is literally in the story

The parallels to real life Yakuza Shimizu Jirocho are all there.

Could you give me a summary so I can see if I will read the whole thing or not ?
Post automatically merged:

Shanks fans started this beef:goyea:
There's a lot but here's a "short" summary:

- Shanks meeting with the Gorosei is case #1 instance of there is something going on with this character that we don't know about. This was done purely to shock the reader in their expectations of Shanks. Secondly, Oda omitted the pirate he talked about with them. Because of prior history with Shanks doing so Whitebeard about Blackbeard, people think its him. However due to omitting the name, chances are its not. This has a high chance of being set up for a plot twist, because it's a narrative technique used in plot twist (built to make you expect something when it's not)

- The Story of OP starts with Shanks and the Strawhat. Oda has multiple iterations of the 2 in 3 versions of Romance Dawn that involve the two (in in version 2 of the chapter, the lack of Shanks to keep him as a surprise later on). Oda knows the ending to his series. These concepts are as old as the series itself. It's safe to say they are related to the ending.

- Shanks reacts very "competitively" to Luffy anytime he's mentioned. What I mean by this is ominous smiles/words he mentions ("time for us to meet soon" with a pretty nasty looking face)

- Mihawk just lost his Shichibukai status. Virtually the only known pirate Mihawk can ally with in the coming climax is in fact Shanks. He's not going to randomly wait for Zoro wherever, he likely expects to find Zoro where he expects to find Luffy. Zoro's fight with Mihawk is entirely telling that Blackbeard is likely not the final antagonist because Shiryu having invisibility powers and no black blade should make it very clear he's not Zoro's final fight either.

- Shanks is very likely based off of Shimizu Jirocho, an infamous Yakuza from the 1800s. Like Jirocho, he respectfully buries his rivals/enemies, stops wars non-violently, has a mysterious past, and a host of other similarities. His bounty is a direct reference to the Yakuza and Oicho Kabu, a game Yakuza frequently play. Like a Yakuza, he "bet" his arm on Luffy, ala a Yakuza losing their finger when they lose a bet with nothing else to give or are punished. Finally, his crew literally does not call him Taisho/Captain, they call him Kashira/Boss. This has been on purpose since Chapter 1. He's never been referenced as "Captain" ever.

So still long, but moderately summarizing my point.

If you want to get really funky with the whole thing, Shanks may also be pulling the strings behind the Underworld. The underworld is a clear case of the black market which is run very Yakuza-like.

The Underworld sub-plot technically does not go away when Kaido falls. He simply was a customer and Doflamingo a middleman supplier. There is a reason Oda introduced the 6 "Emperors" that seem to control underground trade, information and goods, yet has not elaborated on the networks true role in the end. Or even what or whom they are related to.

If you believe that Shanks has heavy Yakuza connections and can explain even why he's a Yonko in general, then you can see why he may be the true leader behind it. The other 3 Yonko have spheres of influence that are clearly defined (Big Armies, territories, many allies, etc) but Shanks literally seems to just be a lowly boat with 10 people on and that's it. Even Luffy has his own fleet. Remember these people were called Yonko for their control of territories and power, yet we've seen none of that from Shanks

Considering that the WG and the other 3 Yonko use the Underworld, I would NOT be surprised if Shanks virtually owns it and explains why he could smuggle himself into Mariejois unseen. Theres also the Shimizu Jirocho connections again where he essentially controlled an underground network of contraband the same way.

Shanks is a self proclaimed supporter of peace, it doesnt mean his methods to achieve it are at all right or peaceful. You can just see that by how violent he actually is, especially to Kid and bandits in Chapter 1. The way powerful figures listen to him or are even intimidated by him. There is so much we just don't know about the character.

Oda is teasing the characters movement this year, I have faith its going to bring some big revelations into the story.

Oda doesn’t have to write Shanks as being revealed to have a more unlikeable personality than Blackbeard as if he had been cleverly hiding it away all this time, though I think there’s still room for him to have views and approaches that we might not immediately side with him with, and even find him questionable for having them.

Shanks being evil is logically appalling as an idea, at least at this present moment, don't you guys believe.

There's hardly any substantial rationale behind such postulate...

He didn't show such signs, well, it might sound suspicious that he spoke to the WG elders, but that's absolutely not implicating anything.

Oda doesn’t have to write Shanks as being revealed to have a more unlikeable personality than Blackbeard as if he had been cleverly hiding it away all this time, though I think there’s still room for him to have views and approaches that we might not immediately side with him with, and even find him questionable for having them.
100% this. I think this is the entire point of his character. Luffy thinks the world of Shanks (even if he wants to fight him). It would be amazing if the central point of Shanks isn't just for Luffy to "surpass", but to realize that he's not exactly who he thought he was. Not a by the books "evil" human, but a questionable man whose methods Luffy doesn't or wont agree with. We'll see them butt heads for this exact reason. Shanks probably believes he can mold Luffy into this person, maybe he even misunderstood Roger and Luffy's true dream, hence why he has "bet" his arm on him, yet still does interestingly mysterious shit.

I think its becoming very apparent considering his standing with the World Government. Oda wouldn't make him mysterious if he was the EXACT character we expected him to be from Chapter 1, or even 580 when he stops the war (and even that was odd)
Post automatically merged:

Shanks being evil is logically appalling as an idea, at least at this present moment, don't you guys believe.

There's hardly any substantial rationale behind such postulate...

He didn't show such signs, well, it might sound suspicious that he spoke to the WG elders, but that's absolutely not implicating anything.
You can read my responses. Evil is a dumb gesture by people not reading the story. "Not who he seems" is another story entirely. Oda does not commit to mysteriousness without a purpose.

Shanks meeting the Gorosei is meant to be a huge, questionable plot twist in the story. The fact that Oda made him say "certain pirate" instead of what people expected him to say "Blackbeard" is gearing up for another plot twist. These are narrative tropes many authors use.