Favorite type of sword fights/swordsman?

Best type?

• Total voters
The title might not be enough so I'll explain. Overall and from what I've perceived; in anime/manga/movies/series and etc, there are usually two major types of swordsmen/sword fights.

1. Knight type of fight. This is usually the one that you see when two knights are fighting. Swords clashing over and over again with heavy hits after heavy hits. Big and heavy swords that are usually handled with two hands. This also includes heavy hitting abilities/techniques that aren't focused on speed but rather strength

Something akin to this:

And ability, albeit extreme, something like this:

2. Iaijutsu type of swordsmanship. For those who don't know, Iaijutsu implies unsheathing the sword, cutting and sheathing it extremely fast. Basically, sword fights based on extreme speed.

If I could recommend someone who uses this is Musashi in Baki. I'm not sure how good his sword fights are considered in the swordsmen fandom but he represent the iaijutsu type of fights quite well.

And regarding techniques, we have Zoro's widely know Ittoryu iai: shishi sonson but I would like to point out Vergil as a whole because from what I've seen, he's based on speed with the sword.

Question's are easy;
1. Which one do you prefer/like more?

2. Which one is more epic/cool.

3. If you were a swordsman, what style would you pick?

4. Albeit controversial, which one would be better in a fight wether it is against the other style and/or other threats in fantasy worlds (ie monsters, humans, animals... etc)

1, 2, and 3. Heavy power type obviously. This buldozing combo from Soul Calibur's Nightmare is very satisfying.

4. Against beasts like wolves, i think speed type would be much better. Against bears or bulls, i think power type would be better. Against humans i think speed type will be better.

1, 2, and 3. Heavy power type obviously. This buldozing combo from Soul Calibur's Nightmare is very satisfying.
Acceptable and understandable. Opinion respected 🤝

4. Against beasts like wolves, i think speed type would be much better. Against bears or bulls, i think power type would be better. Against humans i think speed type will be better.
By beasts I also mean stronger snd more mythological beasts like orcs, giant spiders, basilisks, dragons, griffins, giant desert worms, sea creatures like the kraken... And a long ass etc. Talking about them heavy hitters since a decent swordsman (in fantasy) both type 1 and 2 would have no problem dealing with smal fry like wolves and bears.

Also, since this kinda dried out here are some tags

And yes, I did tag an entire fan club for my thread.

I'd say knights aren't necessarily slow regardless of normally emphasizing it less be it in real life or on shonen fantasy settings (think Kyros or T-Bone. Nanatsu no Taizai is full of better examples), but I'm keeping my vote on knights. I just like them more in every aspect.

And I do love Vergil and plenty samurai of fiction, but even in that example i prefer Dante.

I'd say knights aren't necessarily slow regardless of normally emphasizing it less be it in real life or on shonen fantasy settings (think Kyros or T-Bone. Nanatsu no Taizai is full of better examples), but I'm keeping my vote on knights. I just like them more in every aspect.

And I do love Vergil and plenty samurai of fiction, but even in that example i prefer Dante.
Knights are by no means slow with their sword, but from what I've seen, they are more centered on being heavy hitters than slicing your ass 1000 times before you can blink. They are perhaps slow when compared to iaijutsu users tho

Nice thread matt!

1, 2 and 3 I will pick the speed type swordsmanship. I think it's a very cool and unique fighting style where you try to cut opponent as fast as you can.

It also looks visually cool especially in movies and anime where you instantly speedblitzed opponent without them realizing they got cut in half.

And my real life built is rather slim so I would prefer a lightsword to adjust with my speed to fight opponent.

As for 4, it's really depends on my opponent.

If my opponent is a huge monster/big built guy then I would prefer a heavyweight sword, kinda like Guts from Berserk.

If my opponent is about the same size as me then I would prefer speed.

It also looks visually cool especially in movies and anime where you instantly speedblitzed opponent without them realizing they got cut in half.
That's so damn cliche but I gotta admit that it's my guilt pleasure no matter what. I can see how someone might like more the realistic approach of heavy type swordsmanship but speedblitzing bozos with a sword is a dream that everyone had in their life at least once no matter what.

If my opponent is a huge monster/big built guy then I would prefer a heavyweight sword, kinda like Guts from Berserk.

If my opponent is about the same size as me then I would prefer speed.
In my subjective opinion, If you are cracked on the speed factor and if you can cut "everything" (which is usually the case on this type of swordsmen) Iaijutsu might prove to be extremely efficient even against very large enemies.

You see, in a fight where the enemy is as big as you or only bigger by not a big amount, both type 1 and type 2 are extremely effective because they are usually a one shot. However, type 2 is faster than type 1 and thus, you have more chances of landing a hit or dozens of it. Now if the enemy is bigger, one cut from type 2 might not be as effective as 1 cut from type 1 but most likely, when type 2 attacked he didn't slice the behemoth once but rather dozens or even hundreds of times and thus, the damage gets stacked.

Granted, I'm no swordsman and I don't have neither human sized monsters nor behemoth on a daily basis (maybe on weekends tho) so my opinion is quite biased and subjective (as I said) lol