Fitness

Why are push-ups so hard? I managed to do three and the third was legitimately challenging. Also I barely have any weight to push up.

I am hoping to get stronger and more toned, and I heard that push-ups are a good exercise, so I will keep practicing. Finally, can anyone tell me what’s the difference between a set and a rep?

Finally, can anyone tell me what’s the difference between a set and a rep?
Rep stands for repetition - in your case you did 3 reps of push ups.
Sets are how many reps you do in a row between periods of rest.
For example you do 3 sets of 3 push ups.
3 push ups (thats one set) -> rest -> 3 push ups (second set) -> rest -> 3 push ups (third set) -> rest

Rep stands for repetition - in your case you did 3 reps of push ups.
Sets are how many reps you do in a row between periods of rest.
For example you do 3 sets of 3 push ups.
3 push ups (thats one set) -> rest -> 3 push ups (second set) -> rest -> 3 push ups (third set) -> rest
Oh thank you! What’s more important the number of reps someone does or the number of sets?

Oh thank you! What’s more important the number of reps someone does or the number of sets?
3 Sets are enough in general, you can do 4 if you want. I usualy stick with 3.
Well the rep number sure is important i guess, depends on what you wanna do. If you wanna get more endurance, you should do more reps. If you want to build muscle, you should do less reps but with more weight/more resistence. Like between 8-12 reps - but those reps should be every difficult, so you can barely make them - hence why you will have to ad more weight with time, to keep the reps low. If you can do those reps, but you stil have the strength left to push out more, you should increase the weight/resistence.

3 Sets are enough in general, you can do 4 if you want. I usualy stick with 3.
Well the rep number sure is important i guess, depends on what you wanna do. If you wanna get more endurance, you should do more reps. If you want to build muscle, you should do less reps but with more weight/more resistence. Like between 8-12 reps - but those reps should be every difficult, so you can barely make them - hence why you will have to ad more weight with time, to keep the reps low. If you can do those reps, but you stil have the strength left to push out more, you should increase the weight/resistence.
That is very helpful! Thank you for your response.