Powers & Abilities General CoA Discussion - Basic & Advanced

So if I understand well :

-There is a swordsmanship technic that work exactly like advanced haki
-To illustrate, to a non swordsman, how to use advaced haki Hyo took for example a swordsmanship technic
-Because what a swordsman is able to do with his will (cutting or not) Luffy should be able to do it with his own haki (projecting his will out of his body)

I disagree but for the sake of the argument let say that you are right:

What you are saying is that even tho Zoro did not have advanced haki in Alabasta, he can use it now because he has mastery over the swordsmanship technic and over haki. Therefore, like Hyo and Luffy, he just have to use the swordsmanship technic that he already mastered on his own haki to produce advanced haki.
No, that’s not what I’m saying.

Dealing with the first part, the breath of all things is not something “that works exactly like advanced haki”.

This idea is based on two different things, a mistranslation on the part of JB and a mischaracterization of the breath of all things.

In their translation, JB says this:

“It is transferred to the sword from the user’s body so that when we want to cut something our sword will cut even the thickest of steel and when we do not want to cut something, our sword will not cut through the thinnest of paper!”

The operative phrase here, the most important part of the sentence, is the words “so that”. In their translation, JB implies that that two thoughts are linked by saying “so that”, as if the transfer of haki from the body to the sword is what allows to swordsman to cut something or nothing. We know this to be false for something I’ll demonstrate later. With that said, Viz’s translation is different. Viz says:

“in Wano too, there is an invisible power that stems from the body and can be infused with the blade.”

And then that’s it. The sentence stops, as does the thought. And then he begins the new thought:

“A good katana will cut through steel when you want it to. And it will not break a sheet of paper if you wish it so. It is all according to the desire of the swordsman.”

Viz shows Hyou stopping a thought and starting a new one, which better demonstrates that his second thought was a reinforcement to the first thought.

Regarding the technique itself; this thread is predicated on the basis that what Zoro did in Alabasta, the breath of all things, is either CoA or advanced CoA. However, Zoro himself in Alabasta contradicts this statement entirely based on his own words as he’s trying to attempt to cut steel. Ironically, the op actually states this information but skips right over the meaning of it in favor to highlight the part about cutting anything or cutting nothing in an attempt to say that Zoro was using advanced CoA all the way back in Alabasta.

As he’s trying to learn to cut steel, Zoro goes through various sensations and states the following thngs:

“My sword is under that rock. I know it.”

“The falling rocks...I could feel something, something alive in them.”

“The rocks breathing. Trees with heartbeats of their own. The earth itself breathing.”

Notice how all of these things are sensory indicators. Being able to hear the breath of the rocks to avoid them, to feel his sword and know exactly where it is, to feel the breath of the trees and the earth.

And then, immediately after being able to sense these things, he thinks back again to his old master saying “listen Zoro. There are swordsman in this world who are able to not cut anything.”

And right after that, Zoro think “To not cut anything. Is that like hearing the breathing? Is this the power to cut steel?”

This is confirmation on the part of Zoro that the breath of all things is in part based off of those sensory details. Being able to hear and feel the breath of the objects around him.

The very next thing he says is that “I can hear it...the breathing of his steel.”

Again, more sensory details.

And the he says this before he doesn’t cut a tree and cuts a rock:

“My sword understands my will.”

Followed by “All that’s left is for me to find out whether I have the power to cut through steel.”

This is the last part of the breath of all things, having the sword understand what you want to do, and then of course doing it. In this, “it all according to the desire of the swordsman,” as Hyou says when he talks about the breath of all things.

So based upon everything that we know of the breath of all things, we can for certain say that it is comprised of three elements:

1.) understanding the existence of the objects around you, that which you want to cut and that which you don’t, by being able to feel and hear the presence of those objects.
2.) making the sword understand what you want to do.
3.) making the sword do what you want to do.

Again, I go back to the premise of the thread, that what Zoro did in Alabasta was either CoA or advanced CoA. However, based on everything that we know of CoA, none of these three things are in any way, shape, or form of any resemblance to CoA. In Zoro’s dialogue, there was nothing about the transfer of an invisible power to the blade from his body. And even more importantly, and more reflective of this point, is the very first point. At no point in time has CoA ever been about sensing objects like Zoro’s blade, or hearing and feeling the breathing of objects around you, like the breathing of the rocks, the heartbeat of the trees, the breathing of the earth, or the breathing of Daz’s steel.

CoA has never once been about sensory details.

This proves that JB, when the added the “so that” to their translation of Hyou’s statement, were wrong, because the transfer of the invisible power was never a part of the breath of all things. In contrast, Viz separates these two statements, and portrays them as two different thoughts.

If you consider this, then Hyou, who has already seen Luffy struggle and fail at creating the barrier, is essentially using the breath of all things to help Luffy understand that for it to work, he must know what he wants to do with his haki and will it to be so, which is why he says that “it all according to the desire of the swordsman.” He was just using it to demonstrate to Luffy that, like swordsman who direct their swords what to cut and what not to cut based on their will, he must get his haki to act according to his will. Following this, Hyou begins to teach him the specifics of creating the barrier after introducing the concept.

What this also proves is that what Zoro did on Alabasta was not CoA, nor advanced CoA, (again because of the fact that CoA has never once been shown to have anything to do with sensory details of the objects around you, which is actually in line with CoO to begin with, rather CoA is all about creating armor around your own body) and that Zoro did not have haki before the timeskip. What Zoro did was a swordsmanship technique, which is why Kyoshiro calls it “the pinnacle of swordsmanship,” and describes that “a blade that injures all that it touches isn’t really a sword.”

It’s a technique of swordsmanship. Not CoA.

T-Bone cut the train carriage in half. And in Punk Hazard Brook cut Vegapunk's Dragon, whose scales were said to be even stronger than steel. So yes, Brook can cut materials which are even harder than steel without any CoA.
Also when Zoro asked Kinemon if he could cut steel, it was done to showcase Kinemon's strength, not to downplay Brook's skill.
So brook cut a living animal whose scales could be compared to the toughness of steel but isn’t steel lol I knew you had nothing
Post automatically merged:

Dealing with the first part, the breath of all things is not something “that works exactly like advanced haki”.

This idea is based on two different things, a mistranslation on the part of JB and a mischaracterization of the breath of all things.

“It is transferred to the sword from the user’s body so that when we want to cut something our sword will cut even the thickest of steel and when we do not want to cut something, our sword will not cut through the thinnest of paper!”

The operative phrase here, the most important part of the sentence, is the words “so that”. In their translation, JB implies that that two thoughts are linked by saying “so that”, as if the transfer of haki from the body to the sword is what allows to swordsman to cut something or nothing. We know this to be false for something I’ll demonstrate later. With that said, Viz’s translation is different. Viz says:

“in Wano too, there is an invisible power that stems from the body and can be infused with the blade.”

And then that’s it. The sentence stops, as does the thought. And then he begins the new thought:

“A good katana will cut through steel when you want it to. And it will not break a sheet of paper if you wish it so. It is all according to the desire of the swordsman.”

Viz shows Hyou stopping a thought and starting a new one, which better demonstrates that his second thought was a reinforcement to the first thought.

Regarding the technique itself; this thread is predicated on the basis that what Zoro did in Alabasta, the breath of all things, is either CoA or advanced CoA. However, Zoro himself in Alabasta contradicts this statement entirely based on his own words as he’s trying to attempt to cut steel. Ironically, the op actually states this information but skips right over the meaning of it in favor to highlight the part about cutting anything or cutting nothing in an attempt to say that Zoro was using advanced CoA all the way back in Alabasta.

As he’s trying to learn to cut steel, Zoro goes through various sensations and states the following thngs:

“The rocks breathing. Trees with heartbeats of their own. The earth itself breathing.”

Notice how all of these things are sensory indicators. Being able to hear the breath of the rocks to avoid them, to feel his sword and know exactly where it is, to feel the breath of the trees and the earth.

And then, immediately after being able to sense these things, he thinks back again to his old master saying “listen Zoro. There are swordsman in this world who are able to not cut anything.”

And right after that, Zoro think “To not cut anything. Is that like hearing the breathing? Is this the power to cut steel?”

This is confirmation on the part of Zoro that the breath of all things is in part based off of those sensory details. Being able to hear and feel the breath of the objects around him.

The very next thing he says is that “I can hear it...the breathing of his steel.”

Followed by “All that’s left is for me to find out whether I have the power to cut through steel.”

This is the last part of the breath of all things, having the sword understand what you want to do, and then of course doing it. In this, “it all according to the desire of the swordsman,” as Hyou says when he talks about the breath of all things.

So based upon everything that we know of the breath of all things, we can for certain say that it is comprised of three elements:

1.) understanding the existence of the objects around you, that which you want to cut and that which you don’t, by being able to feel and hear the presence of those objects.

Again, I go back to the premise of the thread, that what Zoro did in Alabasta was either CoA or advanced CoA. However, based on everything that we know of CoA, none of these three things are in any way, shape, or form of any resemblance to CoA. In Zoro’s dialogue, there was nothing about the transfer of an invisible power to the blade from his body. And even more importantly, and more reflective of this point, is the very first point. At no point in time has CoA ever been about sensing objects like Zoro’s blade, or hearing and feeling the breathing of objects around you, like the breathing of the rocks, the heartbeat of the trees, the breathing of the earth, or the breathing of Daz’s steel.

This proves that JB, when the added the “so that” to their translation of Hyou’s statement, were wrong, because the transfer of the invisible power was never a part of the breath of all things. In contrast, Viz separates these two statements, and portrays them as two different thoughts.

If you consider this, then Hyou, who has already seen Luffy struggle and fail at creating the barrier, is essentially using the breath of all things to help Luffy understand that for it to work, he must know what he wants to do with his haki and will it to be so, which is why he says that “it all according to the desire of the swordsman.” He was just using it to demonstrate to Luffy that, like swordsman who direct their swords what to cut and what not to cut based on their will, he must get his haki to act according to his will. Following this, Hyou begins to teach him the specifics of creating the barrier after introducing the concept.

What this also proves is that what Zoro did on Alabasta was not CoA, nor advanced CoA, (again because of the fact that CoA has never once been shown to have anything to do with sensory details of the objects around you, which is actually in line with CoO to begin with, rather CoA is all about creating armor around your own body) and that Zoro did not have haki before the timeskip. What Zoro did was a swordsmanship technique, which is why Kyoshiro calls it “the pinnacle of swordsmanship,” and describes that “a blade that injures all that it touches isn’t really a sword.”

Omg this is complete bullshit you’re literally writing paragraphs about a Japanese cartoon for kids. Anyone who isn’t against zoro knows that zoro used haki why would they use the same explanation twice Lmfaoo this is really sad man get a hobby or something

The mistake you continue to make is you have chosen to ignore the information that we have been provided because when Zoro performed his attack there was additional information. That's like having two people teach the exact same technique but you claim they are not the same because they both teachers use a different name for their technique and one teacher talks about how the muscles work in the body while performing the technique.

At this time we don't know why Zoro talked about the BOAT when he was performing his technique, nor do we know what exactly that means. Can that BOAT be applied to anything, for example, fire? It could the secret behind Ryuma's ability to cut anything down in an instant. That could be what Kyoshiro meant when he calls it “the pinnacle of swordsmanship.” At this time they are the same. Both teachers said there is a technique that allows the user to cut thick steel if they want to cut or not cut thin paper if they don't want to cut. It's up to the user's will. Haki is nothing but will power. It sounds like to me Oda is going to back and relating Zoro's BOAT to advanced haki but there is still some additional information that he hasn't include yet. Like I said in an earlier post we don't all of the concepts Oda had back during Alabasta

Don't forget about this post:

“To catch up to his legend, various sword styles were created in the Wano Country, many of which are secret techniques that were forbidden to outsiders. One of them can cut strong iron, one is said to be able to cut through the flame of dragon. It’s been several hundreds of years since Ryuma’s death. Perhaps a strong samurai who people can called the ‘second Ryuma’ has already been born. Strange rumors regarding Ryuma have been spreading around in recent years, it is said that the body of the master swordsman Ryuma and the national treasure meito Shusui has been stolen by someone. 23 years ago, when a certain pirate was causing commotion in the Wano Country, Ryuma’s grave was desolated and the sword and his body disappeared. No one knows the whereabouts of the body and sword, and the samurais who respect Ryuma went searching frantically for the criminal who did it.”

This information is from the official OP magazine and it gives us some insight on Ryuma's strength and ability. Based on this information it sounds like Ryuma had "the pinnacle of swordsmanship" and that is what Oda is working to reveal.

@OEKaneki first of, thanks for the lengthy answer (y)

I understand now that I (and maybe others) was not clear which lead to a misunderstanding.

For me, what Zoro as shown in Alabasta is a conjunction of CoO and CoA. As you said, and you right, all the sensory part is not CoA. But it is CoO.

So when Zoro felt his swords, the rock and the steel he used CoO. But when Zoro transfered his will to his sword he used CoA.

Basically this how I think the Breath of all things works :
-First The swordsman hear the breath of the thing he want to cut
-Second when he heard the breath he transmits his will to his sword to cut the said thing

The first part is CoO and the second part is CoA.

How do I know that it is CoA?
Because Hyo explained that Ryou is the fact of transmitting your will to your sword.

Advanced CoA is projecting your CoA out of your body. To illustrate it Hyogoro talk about cutting or not cutting.

Therefore if projecting your will onto your sword his Ryou and if Ryou is haki so Zoro used haki in Alabasta.

For me and others, CoA is intricated with swordsmanship. Especially after the hype Oda put behind the black blade.

Now, I do not think that I convinced you but at least now we make ourselves clear to each other ;)

Omg this is complete bullshit you’re literally writing paragraphs about a Japanese cartoon for kids. Anyone who isn’t against zoro knows that zoro used haki why would they use the same explanation twice Lmfaoo this is really sad man get a hobby or something
You know, it's pretty funny that you shit on me for "writing multiple paragraphs about a Japanese cartoon for kids," when this entire thread is based off of initial post in which someone else wrote multiple paragraphs about a Japanese cartoon for kids, and last I recall, you've never once said that about the op, nor have you told him to get a hobby, which shows the only reason you even siad anything about it is that you agree with the multiple paragraphs about a Japanese cartoon for kids the op wrote, and you're sad and upset about my posts because they don't fit into your headcanon.

Actually, a few other people who aren't against Zoro disagree with that statement, and again, I am not against Zoro. He's tied for my second favorite character.

You add zero substance to any discussion. You insult the things you don't like and insult the people that wrote them. Stop quoting me.
The mistake you continue to make is you have chosen to ignore the information that we have been provided because when Zoro performed his attack there was additional information. That's like having two people teach the exact same technique but you claim they are not the same because they both teachers use a different name for their technique and one teacher talks about how the muscles work in the body while performing the technique.

At this time we don't know why Zoro talked about the BOAT when he was performing his technique, nor do we know what exactly that means. Can that BOAT be applied to anything, for example, fire? It could the secret behind Ryuma's ability to cut anything down in an instant. That could be what Kyoshiro meant when he calls it “the pinnacle of swordsmanship.” At this time they are the same. Both teachers said there is a technique that allows the user to cut thick steel if they want to cut or not cut thin paper if they don't want to cut. It's up to the user's will. Haki is nothing but will power. It sounds like to me Oda is going to back and relating Zoro's BOAT to advanced haki but there is still some additional information that he hasn't include yet. Like I said in an earlier post we don't all of the concepts Oda had back during Alabasta

Don't forget about this post:

“To catch up to his legend, various sword styles were created in the Wano Country, many of which are secret techniques that were forbidden to outsiders. One of them can cut strong iron, one is said to be able to cut through the flame of dragon. It’s been several hundreds of years since Ryuma’s death. Perhaps a strong samurai who people can called the ‘second Ryuma’ has already been born. Strange rumors regarding Ryuma have been spreading around in recent years, it is said that the body of the master swordsman Ryuma and the national treasure meito Shusui has been stolen by someone. 23 years ago, when a certain pirate was causing commotion in the Wano Country, Ryuma’s grave was desolated and the sword and his body disappeared. No one knows the whereabouts of the body and sword, and the samurais who respect Ryuma went searching frantically for the criminal who did it.”

This information is from the official OP magazine and it gives us some insight on Ryuma's strength and ability. Based on this information it sounds like Ryuma had "the pinnacle of swordsmanship" and that is what Oda is working to reveal.
I haven't ignored any information. I went through the information line by line.

We know what the breath of all things means, we know what it does, and we also know exactly what Kyoshiro meant about the breath of all things being the pinnacle of swordsmanship. He explained it himself. He was clear. The rest of the stuff with Ryumma isn't really relevant.
@OEKaneki first of, thanks for the lengthy answer (y)

I understand now that I (and maybe others) was not clear which lead to a misunderstanding.

For me, what Zoro as shown in Alabasta is a conjunction of CoO and CoA. As you said, and you right, all the sensory part is not CoA. But it is CoO.

So when Zoro felt his swords, the rock and the steel he used CoO. But when Zoro transfered his will to his sword he used CoA.

Basically this how I think the Breath of all things works :
-First The swordsman hear the breath of the thing he want to cut
-Second when he heard the breath he transmits his will to his sword to cut the said thing

The first part is CoO and the second part is CoA.

How do I know that it is CoA?
Because Hyo explained that Ryou is the fact of transmitting your will to your sword.

Advanced CoA is projecting your CoA out of your body. To illustrate it Hyogoro talk about cutting or not cutting.

Therefore if projecting your will onto your sword his Ryou and if Ryou is haki so Zoro used haki in Alabasta.

For me and others, CoA is intricated with swordsmanship. Especially after the hype Oda put behind the black blade.

Now, I do not think that I convinced you but at least now we make ourselves clear to each other ;)
Wait, hold on. First the breath of all things was a CoA or even an advanced CoA technique, but now, after I pointed out that it's not anything remotely similar to CoA, it's a mix of both CoO and CoA?

Advanced CoA is not projecting CoA out of your body. CoA does that as a simple function. You surround the outside of the body with armor. By definition, you are projecting CoA on the outside of your body.

Hyou didn't explain that Ryou is transferring your will to your sword. He said that Wano too has an invisible power (here talking about haki) that they can transfer to swords, and then later said that this is Ryou, and said that Ryou and haki are the same. Projecting your will onto the sword is not haki. Zoro did this when he tried to send a flying slash for the first time as well. It was not haki then either. If I recall correctly, he also had trouble with Sandai Kitetsu the first time he used it because of the curse it had back on Whiskey Peak. He forced the sword to submit by making it understand his will. None of that was haki, he was just projecting his will on the blade to get it to do his bidding. This is the same as what he did in Alabasta.

Maybe instead of using inductive reasoning to try and say that Zoro was using now both CoO and CoA, as well as advanced CoA, as far back as Alabasta, we should use deductive reasoning to determine that he did not use any of the above because it doesn't make sense.
@OEKaneki Breath of all things is not even a thing.
Hearing the breath of things is not limited to swordsmen, everyone can hear that breath.
Hearing and cutting things are separated, you can hear the breath of things all day long without even holding a sword.
:moonwalk:
Actually it is a thing. It's exactly what Zoro said it was.

Hearing things is not limited to swordsman, but hearing them to understand the objects in front of you so that you may cut something if you choose and not cut something else if you choose not to is limited to swordsman. It's a technique of swordsmen, which is why Kyoshiro called it "the pinnacle of swordsmanship."

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
Actually it is a thing. It's exactly what Zoro said it was.

Hearing things is not limited to swordsman, but hearing them to understand the objects in front of you so that you may cut something if you choose and not cut something else if you choose not to is limited to swordsman. It's a technique of swordsmen, which is why Kyoshiro called it "the pinnacle of swordsmanship."
Headcanon.
When has he heard a breath of things ever again?
Sword doesnt cut just because you dont want it, it doesnt cut because you coat it with Haki flow so instead of sharp edge, haki is the contact surface and tree leaves remain uncut.

Last edited:
Headcanon.
Sword doesnt cut just because you dont want it, it doesnt cut because you coat it Haki flow so instead of sharp edge, haki is the contact surface and tree leaves remain uncut.
Exactly hyo is explaining that they call armament haki ryou in wano and that they use it on there swords to cut things or not to cut things but here come the zoro downplayers ItS BrEath Of AlL ThINGs

Headcanon.
Sword doesnt cut just because you dont want it, it doesnt cut because you coat it with Haki flow so instead of sharp edge, haki is the contact surface and tree leaves remain uncut.
This has never happened. You say what I have to say is headcanon and then put out that lol.
Zoro’s apparently someone who’s physiology is so different from everyone elses' that he develops a power unique to him that happens to work the same way Haki does. Weird. And he’s never called on that power again?
It's not unique to him if it is a basic tenant of swordsmanship, and he has called on it again, whenever he later goes to cut steel. He's retained that ability.

This has never happened. You say what I have to say is headcanon and then put out that lol.

It's not unique to him if it is a basic tenant of swordsmanship, and he has called on it again, whenever he later goes to cut steel. He's retained that ability.
Lmfaooo wow dude so it isn’t haki but he uses it every time he wants to cut steel? So that means linemen has it to because zoro ask him could he cut steel on punk hazard is that what you are agreeing to?

So based on this thread law has advance haki. During the smoker battle on PH, when law finish the fight with MES. He makes no direct contact with smokers body. Yet obviously punched a hole through him anyway.

Smoker being a logia can obviously only be affected if there's haki involved.

So law had to have used flow haki to project his haki outwards. Similar to how Zoro sent out a flying slash that cut Monet, or Luffy with the tree a chapter ago.

:cheers:welcome law in the club

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
So based on this thread law has advance haki. During the smoker battle on PH, when law finish the fight with MES. He makes no direct contact with smokers body. Yet obviously punched a hole through him anyway.

Smoker being a logia can obviously only be affected if there's haki involved.

So law had to have used flow haki to project his haki outwards. Similar to how Zoro sent out a flying slash that cut Monet, or Luffy with the tree a chapter ago.

:cheers:
You competing with Erkan for #1 jester of the forum? :suresure: