Manga Discussion Hajime No Ippo Discussion thread

Bogard

You can't win

Description:

Hajime no Ippo
(はじめの一歩, Hajimenoippo), also known as Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting! and Fighting Spirit, is a manga by Morikawa Jouji with an anime TV adaption. It follows the story of the main character, Makunouchi Ippo, who started boxing to answer one question: "What does it mean to be strong?".

Hajime no Ippo literally means The First Step, but it is also a pun on main character Makunouchi Ippo's name (Hajime meaning "beginning" or "first" and Ippo meaning "one step").
You can discuss about the latest manga releases here

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
Helloooooo....anybody up to date with Ippo?

Chapter 1281 had me laughing out loud multiple times.

Thoughts on Sendo vs Gonzales coming up?

Thoughts on Ippo clearly lying to himself about not wanting to come back?

Anybody? lol

Kiwipom

Ghost Princess
Helloooooo....anybody up to date with Ippo?

Chapter 1281 had me laughing out loud multiple times.

Thoughts on Sendo vs Gonzales coming up?

Thoughts on Ippo clearly lying to himself about not wanting to come back?

Anybody? lol

This is how I felt in my Mad Men thread :josad:

But sorry, I don't watch it. I'm already feeling accomplished at catching up to OP, I can't imagine starting another long series.
Though I heard a while ago that the author wanted to stop the manga? I'm not really sure what happened

However, hope this post bumps the thread up and you get an actual response :sweat:

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
This is how I felt in my Mad Men thread :josad:

But sorry, I don't watch it. I'm already feeling accomplished at catching up to OP, I can't imagine starting another long series.
Though I heard a while ago that the author wanted to stop the manga? I'm not really sure what happened

However, hope this post bumps the thread up and you get an actual response :sweat:
I understand people not daring to start a series that's currently at 1200+ chapters with literally no end in sight :feelscryingman:

The author did something unexpected in the series so people thought he was going to end it, but NOPE, looking at how it developed further, it can last for 10 more years easy :pepehands::pepehands::pepehands:

Thanks for the response though, I was feeling lonely here :D

N

NeutralWatcher

I understand people not daring to start a series that's currently at 1200+ chapters with literally no end in sight :feelscryingman:

The author did something unexpected in the series so people thought he was going to end it, but NOPE, looking at how it developed further, it can last for 10 more years easy :pepehands::pepehands::pepehands:

Thanks for the response though, I was feeling lonely here :D
Hi fellow fan here. I read the manga since volume 11 lol.

I don't know who will win between Sendo and Gonzales but the winner will become another Ricardo Martinez hypetool :seriously:

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!

I don't know who will win between Sendo and Gonzales but the winner will become another Ricardo Martinez hypetool :seriously:
A wild Ippo fan appears!!

Volume 11 was released before I was born lol That's awesome.

I have a feeling Sendo will win and that will make Ippo face his true feelings of wanting to comeback. I agree with you on being a Martinez hypetool though :lusalty:

I don't see anybody beating him until Ippo in maybe the last fight in the series, which I'll probably read with my grandchildren :gokulaugh:

N

NeutralWatcher

A wild Ippo fan appears!!

Volume 11 was released before I was born lol That's awesome.

I have a feeling Sendo will will win and that will make Ippo face his true feelings of wanting to comeback. I agree with you on being a Martinez hypetool though :lusalty:

I don't see anybody beating him until Ippo in maybe the last fight in the series, which I'll probably read with my grandchildren :gokulaugh:
I guess I am too old haha. Volume 11 is Sendo first appearance which is also the first volume I bought. Ippo defeated Mashiba and became East Rookie Japanese Championship. I was laughing when Sendo came to Kamogawa Gym to prevent Ippo from postponing their fight lol.

Now I want Sendo to lose because he will suffer the same fate as Date if he fights Ricardo :josad:

From Ippo generation, I think Volg has the best chance to beat Martinez but Morikawa had to move him to Lightweight Jr so I guess woli has the best chance.

Woli is so unnatural I wonder how strong he would be when he appears again.

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
I guess I am too old haha. Volume 11 is Sendo first appearance which is also the first volume I bought. Ippo defeated Mashiba and became East Rookie Japanese Championship. I was laughing when Sendo came to Kamogawa Gym to prevent Ippo from postponing their fight lol.

Now I want Sendo to lose because he will suffer the same fate as Date if he fights Ricardo :josad:

From Ippo generation, I think Volg has the best chance to beat Martinez but Morikawa had to move him to Lightweight Jr so I guess woli has the best chance.

Woli is so unnatural I wonder how strong he would be when he appears again.
Yeap, Ricardo is too overpowered but I loved him as a character since the ending of his fight with Date.

"If your right fist wasn't broken, you would have cut me down in front of everyone. When I'm asked which boxer I respect the most, I will without a doubt respond, He is the samurai that lives in the small oriental island of Japan" :catcry:

I don't see Volg moving from Jr anytime soon, so I gotta go with Woli as well. He was too unique to just be a one and done.

Thematically though, Date's baton pass to Ippo has to have some payoff, so Ippo is probably the one that'll beat Ricardo. Year 2088 will be fun :D

Last edited:
N

NeutralWatcher

Yeap, Ricardo is too overpowered but I loved him as a character since the ending of his fight with Date.

"If your right fist wasn't broken, you would have cut me down in from of everyone. When I'm asked which boxer I respect the most, I will without a doubt respond, He is the samurai that lives in the small oriental island country of Japan" :catcry:

I don't see Volg moving from Jr anytime soon, so I gotta go with Woli as well. He was too unique to just be a one and done.

Thematically though, Date's baton pass to Ippo has to have some payoff, so Ippo is probably the one that'll beat Ricardo. Year 2088 will be fun :D
Yeah Ricardo is very honorable. Good thing he is not like Bryan Hawk lol.

I think Volg story is done. He has no business with Kimura since for Kimura World Title is way out of his league :catcry:

I thought Volg will fight Mashiba or Sawamura but Mashiba moved up to Lightweight while Sawamura retired.

Woli might fight Itagaki in the future or Guevara(Filipino boxer who gave Ippo his third defeat).

lol 2088 is too long I doubt Morikawa is still active by then. I really don't trust baton pass since Ippo passed the baton pass to Manabu to become Japan next Featherweight National Champion yet it ended horribly with Imai defeated Manabu in 1 round.

I think Ippo last fight will be Miyata and Ricardo will remain undefeated. I am also interested who gave Ricardo decision victory since Ricardo said Date was his toughest fight. Does that mean people who lost decision to him should be his toughest fight?

Last edited by a moderator:

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
Yeah Ricardo is very honorable. Good thing he is not like Bryan Hawk lol.

I think Volg story is done. He has no business with Kimura since for Kimura World Title is way out of his league :catcry:

I thought Volg will fight Mashiba or Sawamura but Mashiba moved up to Lightweight while Sawamura retired.

Woli might fight Itagaki in the future or Guevara(Filipino boxer who gave Ippo his third defeat).

lol 2088 is too long I doubt Morikawa is still active by then. I really don't trust baton pass since Ippo passed the baton pass to Manabu to become Japan next Featherweight National Champion yet it ended horribly with Imai defeated Manabu in 1 round.

I think Ippo last fight will be Miyata and Ricardo will remain undefeated. I am also interested who gave Ricardo decision victory since Ricardo said Date was his toughest fight. Does that mean people who lost decision to him should be his toughest fight?
It'd be a cool twist imo if Ricardo retired undefeated. I agree it'd be interesting to revisit some of his decision wins.

I think Manabu's journey will ultimately lead the the title, unlike my boys Aoki and Kimura who will forever be far :josad:

I just hope Morikawa is healthy so he's able to draw the ending. Ippo/Miyata has been on/off so many times I won't believe it until he draws it lol

N

NeutralWatcher

It'd be a cool twist imo if Ricardo retired undefeated. I agree it'd be interesting to revisit some of his decision wins.

I think Manabu's journey will ultimately lead the the title, unlike my boys Aoki and Kimura who will forever be far :josad:

I just hope Morikawa is healthy so he's able to draw the ending. Ippo/Miyata has been on/off so many times I won't believe it until he draws it lol
The bigger plot twist is if Manabu leaves Kamogawa gym and challenges Ippo. I mean there are several hints like Manabu wanted to defeat Ippo's opponents (Saeki and Karasawa) faster than Ippo.

Aoki and Kimura might become Japanese Champion EOS since Morikawa keeps trolling them :catcry:

Aoki for sure will have to defeat Iga Shinobu. Since Baron left him I think Aoki has a chance to defeat Iga now. Iga must be broken after Mashiba destroyed him.

I heard form recent interview that Hajime no Ippo is 50% done which means this manga will finish at chapter 2500+:catcry::catcry::catcry:

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
The bigger plot twist is if Manabu leaves Kamogawa gym and challenges Ippo. I mean there are several hints like Manabu wanted to defeat Ippo's opponents (Saeki and Karasawa) faster than Ippo.

Aoki and Kimura might become Japanese Champion EOS since Morikawa keeps trolling them :catcry:

Aoki for sure will have to defeat Iga Shinobu. Since Baron left him I think Aoki has a chance to defeat Iga now. Iga must be broken after Mashiba destroyed him.

I heard form recent interview that Hajime no Ippo is 50% done which means this manga will finish at chapter 2500+:catcry::catcry::catcry:
50%?

N

NeutralWatcher

How did I not see this until now!!!

Oda is 44 and I'm worried, Morikawa is 53....I hope he makes it!
I think the problem is the length of the fight. Ippo fights used to take 10 chapter before Ippo vs Eiji. Right now Ippo and other big fights take about 20+ chapters. I remember Ippo vs Kojima took 7+ chapters even though it only needed 1 punch from Ippo to defeat Kojima

Hopefully Morikawa take students just like Akira Toriyama has Toyotarou to continue his work.

Quick question: do you think Ippo will surpass Takamura?
And will Takamura conquer all the belts?
Post automatically merged:

Well he was already hypetool in their spar lol, he got screwed hard

N

NeutralWatcher

Quick question: do you think Ippo will surpass Takamura?
And will Takamura conquer all the belts?

Well he was already hypetool in their spar lol, he got screwed hard
Hi nice to see fellow Hajime no Ippo fan here. Ippo surpasses Takamura is impossible lol. Different weight class. Ippo surpasses Takamura means Ippo can kill a bear with his bare hand :pepedoffy:

As for Takamura actually there is a hint of Takamura having detached retina which prevents Takamura from conquering all of weight classes. I think Takamura will retire after he conquers all of the weight classes due to his detached retina issue. I can imagine him as commentator after he retires. He has done that before like when Ippo fought Volg, Manabu vs Imai and so on.

To be honest I cannot imagine Sendo has a chance of beating Martinez. Only Wally with experience I think.

Bogard

You can't win
Not sure if Ippo will manage to surpass Takamura as a fighter, but i believe at one point Takamura's retina issue will lead to Takamura retiring maybe after accomplishing his goals except a final one Ippo might end up inheriting from him, with Ippo ending as Kamogawa's top boxer. It has already been given a hint that Takamura wanted Kamogawa to focus on him alone, which might imply imo that a situation would come where Ippo would be viewed as the successor

As for Sendo, i think he'd ultimately manage to beat Gonzales due to his style, which will be seen as his own achievement in beating someone who defeated the guy(Ippo) he never managed to beat, although there were circumstances in that loss in the first place, but he'd still lose to Ricardo, with Sendo thinking only Ippo could beat him, with that defeat being the reason of Ippo coming back in the ring

N

NeutralWatcher

Chapter 1283 spoiler is out

http://animecomic-pass.com/22273094.html

from sstt1122 at Dynamite Glove Forum

キャラをスキンヘッドにするのハマッてるのかジョージ先生!!
扉絵は木村のソロ。
木村の実家を尋ねる一歩。
木村の両親に木村の様子を尋ねる。
一歩「様子はどうですか?」
母「部屋に籠りきりなの…」
父「町内会の人たちもチケット買ってくれててさ。息子が試合できないとなると困っちゃうんだよね…」
木村は目元にかなり濃いクマをつくりゲッソリしている。
しかし目標の体重まではまだまだ遠い状態だった。
一歩「明日計量なのにあと1.2キロ…」
木村「おかしいな。昨夜はあと1キロだったのに…」
木村はさらに絞るためサウナに向かう。
ガムを噛みながら水抜きするが脱水症状になり木村卒倒。
一歩は木村にライト級にあげましょうと言う。
一歩「救急車呼びます!初めからから無理があったんです!ライト級に上げて出直しましょう!」
木村は上の階級にあげるのが怖いと言って断る。
木村「らいと…きゅう…?も、もうちょい付き合え…俺はビビリ…だからよ…まっぴら、ゴメンだぜ…」
しかし木村が怖いのはライト級にあげることじゃなかった。
それを知っている一歩は何とか木村をフォローしようと奮闘することを決意。
一歩(ビビリなんかじゃない!解っています。青木さんに遠慮して留まっていることを!自分にできることを考えろ!できることを…)
ここで木村がしょうもない下ネタ。
木村「なぁ…久し振りに見たけど…チンコ、デカイな。俺のなんか干し椎茸だぜ…」
一歩はどこかへ電話をかける。
電話の相手は大将鷹村だった。
減量についてアドバイスをもらおうとする一歩。
鷹村「なんだと?アホか!絞った挙句のあと1キロがそう都合良くいく訳ねぇだろ。木村のことだな?いい方法がある」
一歩「え?」
鷹村からとんでも発言が飛び出す。
鷹村「俺様がブン殴って1リットルほど血を抜いてやる」
一歩「死んじゃいます!」
鷹村は減量失敗の興行としての損失、責任問題について言及する。
鷹村「甘いこと抜かすなバカ野郎!減量は自己責任じゃ済まねぇんだ!試合が成立しなきゃ相手の立場はどうなる?チケット買ってくれた客の立場はどうなる!?何より…責任者は厳重注意処分になり謝罪だ。ジジイに安っぽく頭下げさせたら俺様は許さねぇ」
一歩「……」
鷹村(要はモチベーションだ。宙ぶらりんだからベーションが保てねぇ。続かねぇならやめりゃいいのさ。…俺様は続けるぞ、ベーションを)
鷹村も下ネタを放り込む。
AVを観ながらシュッシュッシュ!!
一歩は鷹村からアドバイスをもうらおうとしたことを木村に話す。
一歩「ヒントは教えてくれませんでしたけど、シャドーする音が聞こえました」
完全に勘違いしている一歩。
その勘違いが木村に伝染する。
木村「…さすが世界王者様だ。言葉じゃなく背中を見て見習えってか」
一歩(僕はなんて甘い選手生活を送っていたんだ。何がトレーナーだ。もっと勉強しなくちゃ!もっと…!!)
鷹村のプロボクサーとしての姿勢からまた新たなことを学んだ一歩。
一歩は徹夜で木村に付き添い減量に付き合った。
木村意識朦朧。
一歩の口の中に一匹のコオロギが飛び込む。
翌朝。
ベッドの上で目覚めた木村はミイラのようになってしまっている。
喋る元気すらない。
一歩は木村の服を脱がせ体重計に乗せる。
しかし400グラムオーバー。
計量はこの日の昼。
時間がないと焦りまくる一歩。
一歩(こんなに頑張ったのに…。考えろ!考えろ!考えろ!!どうやってあと400減らす!?今日の昼が計量だ。時間がない!)
ここでコオロギフラグ回収!
コオロギが木村の髪の中へ入っていく。
一歩「あ~もうっ!こんな時に!!」
何かに気付いた一歩。
一歩「…木村さん。僕はとことん付き合いますからね」

後楽園。
遅れている木村と一歩。
青木「遅ぇなぁ木村。減量諦めて逃げたかな?」
板垣「そんなバカな」
八木「あ、あれ、ひょっとして…」
一同「!!」
木村ミイラを背負ってやってくる一歩。
木村はかつての一歩、泰平、金田と同じくスキンヘッドにされていた。
巻末コメント
三連勝 また行き台湾 海老釣りに

Dr. George is addicted to making the character a skinhead! !
The door picture is Kimura's solo.

One step to ask Kimura's parents home.

Ask Kimura's parents how Kimura is.

One step "How is it?"

Mother “I ’m in the room…”

Father: The neighborhood associations also bought tickets. If your son couldn't play, you would be in trouble ...

Kimura is making a very dark bear around his eyes.

However, the target weight was still far away.

One step "Tomorrow weighs 1.2 kilos ..."

Kimura: “It ’s funny. I ’m only 1 kilometer away last night…”

Kimura goes to the sauna to squeeze further.

Water is drained while chewing gum, but it becomes dehydrated and Kimura falls.

The first step is to give Kimura a light weight.

One step "I call an ambulance! It was impossible from the beginning! Let's go up to the light level and get out again!"

Kimura refuses because he is afraid to give it to the upper class.

Kimura "Raito ... Kyu ...? But also hang out with me ... I'm chatter ... So ... I'm sorry ..."

However, Kimura wasn't scared of light weight.

One step to know that, I decided to struggle to follow Kimura somehow.

One step (I'm not chatter! I understand. What you have to stay with Aoki-san! Think about what you can do!)

Here is Kimura's lower story.

Kimura "Nah ... I've seen it after a long time ... Dick, it's big. I'm some dried shiitake ..."

One step is to call somewhere.

The other party was General Takamura.

One step to get advice on weight loss.

Takamura "What is it? Ah? It's not convenient for 1 kilometer after the squeezed words. It's Kimura? Is there a good way?"

One step "Eh?"

Remarks jump out of Takamura.

Takamura: “I ’m going to bleed and draw blood about a liter”

One step "I'm dead!"

Takamura mentions the loss and responsibility issues as a performance failure for weight loss.

Takamura “Don't overlook the sweet thing! Weight loss is not self-responsibility! What will happen to the opponent's position if the match is not completed? What will the customer's position be? I apologize and I will not forgive you if you let Jijii make a cheap head down. "

one step"……"

Takamura (In short, it's motivation. I can't keep it because I'm dangling. If I don't want to continue, I'll have to quit.

Takamura also throws in lower material.

Shushush while watching AV! !

One step tells Kimura that he wanted to get advice from Takamura.

One step "I didn't tell you a hint, but I heard a shadowing sound."

A step that is completely misunderstood.

The misunderstanding is transmitted to Kimura.

Kimura: “Sure, you are the world champion. Can you learn by looking at the back instead of the words?”

One step (What a sweet player life I had. What is a trainer. I have to study more! More ...!)

A step that learned something new from Takamura's attitude as a professional boxer.

One step was staying up all night and accompany Kimura to lose weight.

Kimura consciousness.

A cricket jumps into the mouth of one step.

next morning.

Kimura who woke up on the bed is like a mummy.

I do n’t feel good.

The first step is to take off Kimura's clothes and put it on the scale.

But over 400 grams.

Weighing is noon on this day.

One step to rush in time.

One step (I tried so hard ... Think! Think! Think! How to reduce 400 more! Today's lunch is weighing. I don't have time!)

Collect cricket flags here!

Crickets go into Kimura's hair.

One step “Oh! That ’s it!”

One step when I realized something.

One step "... Kimura-san.

Korakuen.

One step with the late Kimura.

Aoki “Lazy Kimura. Did you give up weight and escape?”

Itagaki "Such fool"

Yagi "Oh, that, maybe ..."

Everyone "!!"

One step that comes with Kimura mummy.

Kimura was made a skinhead like Taihei and Kaneda, one step in the past.

Comments at the end of the book

Three consecutive wins again Taiwan for shrimp fishing

Sorry for the mess up translation. It's from google translate. In short it's a chapter about Kimura weight control.

You can read the actual chapter here.

From sstt1122 at Dynamite Glove Forum

http://hni-scantrad.com/eng/lel/?manga=Hajime+no+Ippo&chapter=Chapter+1283#page=1