Powers & Abilities "Hit" or " Cut " steel

hello, i have a question.
is a there a differences between that choise of attack?

an exemple.
To cut Mr 1 , we need to coat the haki sword? but do you need haki to do a hit damage or just strength?
I think haki is simply hardening at the most basic stage so it increases overall damages whereas you lack the natural physical strenght.

So CoA can play compensation in this case.

hello, i have a question.
is a there a differences between that choise of attack?

an exemple.
To cut Mr 1 , we need to coat the haki sword? but do you need haki to do a hit damage or just strength?
Zoro couldn't cut the steel of Luffy's cage in Buggy's arc but Luffy could dent it with his teeth and Richie could break it easily.

Also, Baby 5 has the inherently stronger version of Mr. 1's fruit yet noone goes crazy about her invincibility. At this point odds are that Mr. 1 was Zoro's counter and not the other way around and the only reason why the Supa Supa is so deified is Zoro himself. The problem was that Zoro couldn't cut that material just like he couldn't cut Buggy's cage, not that other characters couldn't break it.

Last edited:
Haki is widely misunderstood.

Haki does 2 things:

1. Makes things Hard - The harder something becomes, the better it is for attacking because harder things do more damage than things that are less harder. And it also acts as a defensive measure.

2. Other thing it does is it makes it possible to make DF users that AREN'T TANGIBLE or COMPLETELY SOLID interact able. This is what many don't understand.

Mr. 1 is Steel, therefore, Haki will not make it possible to hit him. If Mr. 1 were a Logia or had a body whose body wasn't solid (e.g. Katakuri), then it makes your body solid.

To hurt Mr.1, only strength is necessary. There are cases where Haki won't make it possible to hurt a DF user. Haki is not a fix-all to all problems. Someone like Buggy can't be hurt by Blades, therefore, even a Haki coated blade would be ineffecrive which is why Shanks said he can't die from blades.
So, how is he defeated? Blunt attacks and if Haki is introduced, it would just make thoes blunt attacks more powerful.
In other words, being that Haki is not always a solution to all problems. One has to utilise specific techniques or tactics in order to defeat some DF users. Like Haki won't be effective against Boa Hancock or Perona's ability or Sugar's ability.

There is also something significant about Zoro defeating Mr. 1. It's not Haki. It's a special technique called BOAT (Breath of all things).

For detailed information on BOAT: To simplify, BOAT is a technique that allows one to convey their will into their blade (and don't mistaken will as meaning Haki, Haki and will are completely unrelated).

-Zoro was able to destroy Hatchan swords but was unable to cut of damage Mr.1 steel even tho he was using all his strength.
-An aerial slash aiming for Luffy from Mihawk was not able to cut nor destroy his steel

Oda goes out of his way to show that Mr.1 steel is not mere steel you need haki to hurt/cut him.

-Zoro was able to destroy Hatchan swords but was unable to cut of damage Mr.1 steel even tho he was using all his strength.
-An aerial slash aiming for Luffy from Mihawk was not able to cut nor destroy his steel

Oda goes out of his way to show that Mr.1 steel is not mere steel you need haki to hurt/cut him.
Did Zoro need haki to cut Luffy's cage in Buggy's arc?

No. He was not strong enough at that time. He has gain that strength when they reach Arlong Park which is why he could destroy Hatchan’s sword.

Which again proves that Mr.1 steel is no mere steel.
Or the cage wasn't mere steel either and it was a plotpoint that would be developed in Arabasta. It would be interesting to have Japanese references, because as far as I know both the cage and Mr. 1's body were referred by the same word in the original text.

Anyways, I think that the whole chapter from Arabasta contradicts your statement of "gaining strength" because it wasn't a matter of strength but of conecting with your sword to channel your will, plus the idea of cutting steel being something important and unrelated to the Supa Supa. It wouldn't make sense that this is about Bonez's supossedly special steel even though Zoro was wondering since his childhood about the ability of cutting steel (a power he clearly didn't gain by the time of Arlong Park).

So Kaku or Jabura, with strenght > Luffy alabasta can put Shigan in a body of Mr1 but they van cut him with a simple sword ( non top classe sword 12 or 21 ) ?

but his statement about gaining strength was related to zoro breaking hatchans swords, not related to zoro cutting Mr.1.
My bad, I misunderstood his post.

Doesn't change the point that Mr. 1's steel can't be special because it was directly related to the achievement of "cutting steel" that Zoro was seeking since his childhood, though. Mr. 1 was made of the very same metal Zoro discussed with Koushiro, either way the flashback would make little sense. And doesn't address either the possibility of Hatchan's swords not being made of that material since Zoro has always been able to cut swords but not "steel" or however it is called in Japanese (the same name given to Buggy's cage and Mr. 1's body as I recall since I checked it a while ago).

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
Alabasta Luffy who punched through Bedrock would low diff/stomp Mr.1, not only was he much faster, Mr.1 isn't completely immune to blunt damage like he was to cutting/piercing attacks.

Not once did he imply anyone other than swordsman were a mismatch for him. He was sweating at the thought of taking Mr.2's kicks, and shielded his body by blocking, if Oda wanted to show he couldn't take damage by blunt force boy did he do a terrible job at it. Even following the properties of steel irl, much easier to deal blunt damage than to cut. It's pretty easy to understand.

Portrayal, statements, feats, logic. Everything says Mr.1 could be harmed by blunt force, nothing implies he couldn't (Mr.2 was implied to be able to do it, can't imagine what Luffy would do to the poor guy).

This is when a Swordsman using advanced haki to cut steel:

This is when a brawler using advanced haki to hit steel:

Both Luffy and Zoro were using aCoA there. The difference is that whereas Luffy just used it after training with Hyogoro, Zoro already used it against Mr.1.

But in pre-TS, Zoro haven't mastered it yet, that's why we were shown this panel by Oda:

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
This is when a Swordsman using advanced haki to cut steel:

This is when a brawler using advanced haki to hit steel:

Both Luffy and Zoro were using aCoA there. The difference is that whereas Luffy just used it after training with Hyogoro, Zoro already used it against Mr.1.

But in pre-TS, Zoro haven't mastered it yet, that's why we were shown this panel by Oda:
Luffy needs advanced armament King Kong Gun to beat Mr.1 confirmed.

You didn't even provided arguments and claim my post is nonsense

Oh man, these Zoro haters are so desperate
Its physics, a piercing attack is a force applied to a very small surface area, blunt is the opposite of that.

You need to provide an argument why CP9 strength, which has a huge span btw, is required, so do not pretend you have anything to say.
The fact that you need to bring Zoro into this and claim i hate already shows you have nothing to say.