How do you deal with an alcoholic father that is destroying your family

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
My job has me regualry encountering domestics and alcohol but it still depends on the people involved. It's a good thing that he's atleast aware he has a problem and has tried to sober up in the past(a month at that), which means he's seemingly not a complete lost cost.

However, the big thing here is that you believe moving away is abandoning your father. That's sound like guilt. You are not abandoning him, you are trying to help him. Moving away helps you better your mental and physical health so that you can make more sound decisions first of all. You can still monitor your father and track his progress if you choose. He can try in his own or go to rehab. Moving out is a good choice for your own health and to potentially make your father try and get sober again. Getting sober however, is his choice.

C

Cruxroux

Everyone tried to talk to him but he doesnt care, its killing me to see him destroy his body and our lives like this.
Might sound rude. But can tell from experience where both the parents have given up on me and are least concerned.
Best you can do is move out (assuming you're an adult).
You got a life ahead or maybe switch to live somewhere else with your mother and siblings

I totally agree with @van it’s best you take timeout away from him . Temporary timeout for you and your mother . If you have family maybe try talking through them . It’s sensitive issue and it seems you love your dad it’s heartbreaking situation .

Talk it through family counselling and ask him to enter rehab for best of the family . If you think he is not lost cause then there is hope for him and your family .
Post automatically merged:

kill him before he kills you
One of the worst advice on internet , da hell is wrong with you :lawsigh:

Yo Fuji, you gotta just go. For your own sake but also you ain't gonna get someone to change without facing the consequences of their actions. Even if he's a good person or whatever, he's obviously gotta lose something to get his shit together, and losing your family is a wake up call. Nothing short of that will do shit. And if he's not up to the task it's still the answer

3 is the hardest to do because I dont want to abandon him.
Don't think of it has abandoning him think of it has bettering yourself, your life, your safety, you and your family should be able to feel safe if losing what he has is what it takes for him to wake up and realize he should change not just for all of you but for himself, it just what needs to happen

It seems like you're facing a tough situation, and it's clear you're trying to handle it with thoughtfulness. Acknowledging the need to prioritize your own mental and physical health amidst challenging dynamics is important. Moving away doesn't mean abandoning your father; it's about creating space to take care of yourself and potentially influence positive change in his life. While his journey toward sobriety is ultimately his own, your support from a distance can still be impactful. Take care of yourself as you navigate this path.

Last edited:

Adam 🍎

Pretty Boy
There is smth you could do

Just one night out of blue start drinking heavily next to him, show him how you see him.

If he doesn't feel bad about it and change his ways move out, you shouldn't put your life that is just starting before his which he obv willingly doesn't take seriously. Family is important yes, but there is no family on the bottom of the bottle.