Questions & Mysteries How Oda uses Death in One Piece? Who is dead & who isn't

Hey everyone,

I wanna know how do you guys determine who's dead and who isn't? In the present storyline, no flashbacks, named characters only.

I did a video on this topic [ Understanding Death in One Piece ], and I've come to the conclusion that I only believe a certain death by it's narrative significance. I'll explain what I mean.

Yes, there are other more explicit ways to confirm a death:
1-By the passing of a DF, a death must be implied
2-By the narrator's speech box, which in One Piece is an omniscient narrator that hasn't lied to us in almost 1k chapters
3-If the exact moment of death or a lifeless corpse is explicitly shown, which I think was only shown 3 times, White Beard, Ace and Yasuie

But I think if that's not Oda's go to style. If he uses that for every character of present story line , it will take out the dramatic impact. That's why Oda has only done it 3 time so far. Most deaths in OP (if flashbacks death included) are suggested or silhouetted. That's because if an author has to explicilty confirm every death in the story, it becomes a boring story.

So which off-screen deaths should you believe? How can you trust some suggested off-screen deaths and which ones you should watch out for a potential future plot twist?

To answer this, I took the examples of Pound and Pedro.
Although Pound has not been "confirmed" to be alive, I think a lot people of the community have always been skeptical about it. But to make it short:

For a death to be true, it has to do 1 of 3 things:
1-Impact a character's persona (e.g. Béll Mére, Sora, Kuina, Tom, Nico Olivia, ACE etc...)
2-Impact the Story/Develop the plot (White Beard, Yasuie
3-Explore a theme (Queen Otohime, Fisher Tigger)

Pound:
1-Pound's "death" had no impact to any character. His daughter Chiffon didn't remember him, nobody that liked him witnessed his death.
2-Although you could say that his death made Bege and Chiffon escape Oven's boiling water technique but in fact that's not the case. Pound was supposedly "killed" because he had already stopped Oven. Not the other way around. Death has to create dramatic action, not be caused because of it.
3-Pound's theme is Family. Which development was made by Pound dying? That Big Mom and her sons value politics over family bounds? That was already established with Lola, Chiffon, Puddin, and with just Pound's backstory. Dyeing there would just have a cheap dramatic effect that Oda is too good.

Pedro:
1- Carrot becomes more responsible and inheirts Pedro's dream of helping the SH's achieve the Dawn of the World
2- Not only allows the Sunny to escape from Perospero's candy, later on, it also motivates Pekoms to betray the Big Mom Pirates and help Luffy out of the mirror world and Cacao island. Furthermore, Pedro's death was the pay for the SH's getting the better out of a Yonko. If half of the SH's could enter a Yonko territory, steal a Poneglyph a leave all dandy candy, our perception of the Yonko would fall rock bottom.
3- Pedro's Death is a piece of the puzzle of the One Piece, revealing the advent of the Dawn of the World, and bringing the Pirate Mink Samurai Alliance closer together

Following this logic, which characters do you think are dead?

Vergo
Monet
Charllote Opera
Pound
Pedro
Morya

Thanks dudes!

TLDR; When an off-screen death happens, ask yourself how does this suit the story?

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Death is only possible if it's mandatory for the story. Oda has always said that Ace was meant to die. If a character being dead is not mandatory, he will bring them back aka Pell and Pound.

Issue is how Oda goes out of his way to make it seem that a character is a done for and them randomly bring up back in something like a cover story(its how Pell and Pound came back), even if then bring dead would have been much better for the themes. Because of this, there are doubts if Monet, Vergo or Pedro are actually dead.

Pound is likely alive since Moscato went through the same thing and was alive later.

What is dead in One Piece:
- Meaningful and good cover stories
- Luffy's not so naive personality
- Zoro's endurance
- Nami's cunning personality
- Sanji's role as Mr. Hunter, Mr. Strategiest and Mr. Prince who shittalked Crocodile in den den mushi and saved the crew from Crocodile's giant crocodile
- Chopper's role as dependable little ally
- Robin the assassin who low diffed Pell, the equivalent of Kyoshiro/Ashura in current arc or Kyros in Dressrosa arc
- interaction among the crew instead of between a crewmember and random villagers or between random villagers

RIP One Piece, now is the era of One Piss

Topi-kun saying fax once again:josad::josad::josad:
- Zoro's endurance
- Sanji's role as Mr. Hunter, Mr. Strategiest and Mr. Prince who shittalked Crocodile in den den mushi and saved the crew from Crocodile's giant crocodile
- Robin the assassin who low diffed Pell, the equivalent of Kyoshiro/Ashura in current arc or Kyros in Dressrosa arc
- interaction among the crew instead of between a crewmember and random villagers or between random villagers

- Zoro's endurance

You’re still stuck in 2006

That’s even worse than @BigChungus2018

- Zoro's endurance

Virgin Oda vs Chad Topi Jerami

If a death isn't in a flashback or have specific indicators (like Oda claiming their dead or dfs being transfered), then it's up for debate. I think it's the one unfortunate aspect of the story because it affects rereads. The "death" loses it's impact if a character ends up not dying in the end. I think Oda likes to keep character deaths somewhat ambiguous like Vergo, Pound and Pedro's in case he wants to change up the narrative later on which he did for Pound.

If carrot will join SH then Pedro is done , other that he is coming back .
i think WE ARE NOT ready for Carrot to join the crew... i mean, look at Jinbei, his first appearance was all the way back at impel down (and foreshadowed even further back at Baratie when Nami saw his poster), and through how many attempts and how many epic moments (protecting Luffy from Akainu, bringing Luffy back to his sense after Ace died, blood-transfusion, declaration to Big Mom) before finally he joined the SH crew at Wano.
don't misunderstand, i love Carrot so much as a character (I can't even think of any better candidate to join the crew right now), and her role as the look out has kinda been established, but compared to Jinbei, Carrot must have his moment first before joining, because i think she shouldn't join that easily while Jinbei had to go through so much before joining the crew (don't even compare Carrot to any SH who joined pre-time skip)

Death is only possible if it's mandatory for the story. Oda has always said that Ace was meant to die. If a character being dead is not mandatory, he will bring them back aka Pell and Pound.

Issue is how Oda goes out of his way to make it seem that a character is a done for and them randomly bring up back in something like a cover story(its how Pell and Pound came back), even if then bring dead would have been much better for the themes. Because of this, there are doubts if Monet, Vergo or Pedro are actually dead.

Pound is likely alive since Moscato went through the same thing and was alive later.
Sorry, so you think that if Pound or Pell were actually dead it would have done more fore the themes? Or are you talking about those who haven't showed up yet but seem to be pretty much dead? like Pedro, Monet and Vergo?
Post automatically merged:

If carrot will join SH then Pedro is done , other that he is coming back .
Hum.. Idk, I think if she becomes a Mink of importance, it's pretty much the same thing
Post automatically merged:

If a death isn't in a flashback or have specific indicators (like Oda claiming their dead or dfs being transfered), then it's up for debate. I think it's the one unfortunate aspect of the story because it affects rereads. The "death" loses it's impact if a character ends up not dying in the end. I think Oda likes to keep character deaths somewhat ambiguous like Vergo, Pound and Pedro's in case he wants to change up the narrative later on which he did for Pound.
Idk dude, i feel like I'm in the minority who actually doesn't mind that Pound, Pell, Sabo, Igaram or Pagaya have "come back" to life, because I think their "supposed deaths" weren't as impactful as say, Pedro for example. Sabo aside, I didn't cared that much for those characters (not that I don't like em, simply that I never looked at them as key players in the story). I'd be very disappointed if Pedro was alive.

Last edited: