Hunter X Hunter Chapter 399: Expulsion

Did the editor's comment just tell us that we'll see the princes in the next chapter ?
:finally::finally::finally:
Post automatically merged:

My problem is that I still remember Feitan and Phinks couple in Greed island. While Gon and Killua were playing the game and even people like Gensuru (the arc villain) were still playing it even if they used evil tactics to win there were the 2 spiders simply going around and killing for sport. But now Togashi had evolved them from that situation.

What I find also a but weird but at the same time interesting is that those fodders were so strong, their abilities were really powerful, I bet at first everybody expected Nobunaga and Hin to go in and start a massacre but actually they were chased out with Nobunaga even losing his sword (but it seems he doesn't care). But it us also interesting since even these small fried can pose a threat (a bit like in aGoT where a main character could die at any moment)(it is not yet the case with HxH but I'm not feeling conformable regards Nobunaga, Hin etc. Safety in these chapters).

Probably the abilities work inly with Morena around otherwise they would be too overpowered (even if these we have seen are only defensive abilities and actually like you said no damaging ones)(still Nobunaga managed to lose its sword, it could even turn in a plus maybe, remote control or something like that?).

Most likely he isn't the dog guy, that is the strongest seen until now and probably will be used to reach that lvl 50 (don't remember the exact number) and have an evolution in his power.

He also has to retrieve the sword, if Phinks bring him back his sword he will be mocked until the end of times lol. He has to go too.
Yeah, but I feel these past chapters pulled of a tightrope act of showing that Morena's guys are still fodder drunk on newfound powers, but are still a considerable threat when together and under favorable conditions, thus warranting caution. And these guys prepared and basically created their abilities to be super tactical and in-synch like in a videogame.

Imo this takes home the point why Kurapika is even trying to teach all the bodyguards Nen in the first place, while you're still fodder with newfound Nen, it does make some difference.

Did the editor's comment just tell us that we'll see the princes in the next chapter ?
Yep. Seems like we may be going back to the succession war plotline next week.

I’ve honestly been enjoying the Phantom Troupe/Mafia plotline going on in the lower tiers more though. (Mainly because I’m so tired of the long winded internal monologues of the irrelevant bodyguards). But with Hisoka going up the top tiers things could get a lot more interesting.

lately the official has been much better than the tcb for hxh, making the chapters much more clear and having better dialogue, but this weeks was awful. also very lazy to just refuse to translate "mohist attack" because you don't think the audience will know what Mohism is and you don't want to put translators notes. any time a translator just makes shit up, they failed

lately the official has been much better than the tcb for hxh, making the chapters much more clear and having better dialogue, but this weeks was awful. also very lazy to just refuse to translate "mohist attack" because you don't think the audience will know what Mohism is and you don't want to put translators notes. any time a translator just makes shit up, they failed
Nah this week is no exception. The official translation is better than TCB. You have to keep in mind that official translators don't have the freedom to put in editor notes to explain words to the reader and you are wrong with the making stuff up part. A translators job is to convey the meaning while still maintaining the feel of the original, not to translate word for word.

Nah this week is no exception. The official translation is better than TCB. You have to keep in mind that official translators don't have the freedom to put in editor notes to explain words to the reader and you are wrong with the making stuff up part. A translators job is to convey the meaning while still maintaining the feel of the original, not to translate word for word.
This philosophy is a major problem with translation today. I don't agree with it. Conveying the meaning is translating accurately. "A battle of wits" doesn't convey any of the same meaning as the original oxymoronic "mohist attack" and removes the pacifist symbolism of the original name in favor of making something up that just hides the truth because the translator thought it sounded cool. Just call it "pacifist attack" or "nonviolent assault" or something.

Although I do agree it was better in other ways, the whole conversation with Morena's goons made a lot more sense here.

But fundamentally I think a translator should like you said convey meaning. When they begin to alter things and change the original meaning because it's too hard, or the publisher gives them restrictions, or they don't like the original and think they're better authors (you think I'm joking with this last one but it happens in video games constantly) I think that's a failure of translation. The translator of metal gear solid 2, agness kaku, has an unintentionally illuminating interview with hardcoregaming101 where she complains about how kojima and his team were "too hands on" with the translation and forced her to do it accurately because she kept submitting scripts with major rewrites. She wanted to change character names, punch up dialogue, add jokes, change elements of the plot, etc. She talks like all of this is normal and kojima was insane for wanting an accurate translation and she did the whole job under duress because they "forced her to translate a video game like a legal document or instruction manual" Meanwhile mgs2 has one of the most beloved English translations of all time and the fan base loves it and nobody ever has a problem with it, and all the dialogue is natural when it needs to be and artificial and weird when it needs to be. But would they love it if the translator got to do their job sight unseen and change Snake's name and shit? No probably not.

Last edited:
This philosophy is a major problem with translation today. I don't agree with it. Conveying the meaning is translating accurately. "A battle of wits" doesn't convey any of the same meaning as the original oxymoronic "mohist attack" and removes the pacifist symbolism of the original name in favor of making something up that just hides the truth because the translator thought it sounded cool. Just call it "pacifist attack" or "nonviolent assault" or something.

Although I do agree it was better in other ways, the whole conversation with Morena's goons made a lot more sense here.

But fundamentally I think a translator should like you said convey meaning. When they begin to alter things and change the original meaning because it's too hard, or the publisher gives them restrictions, or they don't like the original and think they're better authors (you think I'm joking with this last one but it happens in video games constantly) I think that's a failure of translation. The translator of metal gear solid 2, agness kaku, has an unintentionally illuminating interview with hardcoregaming101 where she complains about how kojima and his team were "too hands on" with the translation and forced her to do it accurately because she kept submitting scripts with major rewrites. She wanted to change character names, punch up dialogue, add jokes, change elements of the plot, etc. She talks like all of this is normal and kojima was insane for wanting an accurate translation and she did the whole job under duress because they "forced her to translate a video game like a legal document or instruction manual" Meanwhile mgs2 has one of the most beloved English translations of all time and the fan base loves it and nobody ever has a problem with it, and all the dialogue is natural when it needs to be and artificial and weird when it needs to be. But would they love it if the translator got to do their job sight unseen and change Snake's name and shit? No probably not.
I just don't think the Mohist attack part is all that important to the chapter or overall story so I don't care that much. Can we talk about the irony of a serial killer having a pacifist hatsu though? How does that make any sense?

Agreed on the latter but Viz is almost every time worst or at best equal, this is more clear in other series tho

"The translator couldnt make it better for having no permission so its better"... no having no translation notes is not a good thing just cause it wasnt the localizator fault

Also, even ignoring that guys example was not conveying meaning but changing something cause brainlets would find it hard (that would be the same in english, thats bad localization cringe right there), the answer to your statement is NO, thats a lie:
a translator job is to TRANSLATE, they change the wording to convey meaning when a direct translation cant achieve it, when its needed and necessary, not just willy-nilly to remove any complexity or even things that are just "complicated"/to add cringey jokes/cause the "translator" wants to co-author like that guys msg example/etc.. without it having to do with the language, doent matter if you dont care for knowing, thats changing intent right there, only scum defend that, it dumps at the authors so the "localizator" can co-author, rewriting stuff for his taste instead of translating

Its a lot like 4kids used to do back in the day because they assume all the public are brainlet kids who will act racist against japanese culture just because you are. If you just remove content or harshly twist this you failed as a translator and is LOCALIZING instead, a very different job. This was understood for decades and the anime/manga scene was getting some great quality stuff (both from fan scans and licensing alike) but ever since the viz "era" got a hold on the big stuff online its been downhill, and everywhere theres syncophants who know nothing about translating defending their horrible measures everywhere solely so they can taste corporation cock, theres even clowns that defend "Zolo" and "animal kingdom" in the OP stuff or the garbo from the OPM stuff too.

Viz has been horrible in much of their manga for a while and whoever is the hack fraud doing it now has no business even calling themselves translators, switching the og japanese meaning and using slangs was bad enough but now they change stuff that isnt a language issue even and they still have some cock gobbler to defend even that? Give a break, you wont pretend to be a bigger hxh fan by fake liking a horrible "localization" of it just cause some american publisher paid to profit off you. Theres a reason millions refuse to use viz shit or take into account its bad to a buncha series.

Anyone defending twisting up togashi work doesnt like hxh and is only using "manga fan" as a replacement to personality at best. Its like saying you like the original saints row and then defend the new cringy one eveyrone hates cause a corporation did it, poseur strat. The fact you try to change the subject later proves you know its true but wont admit to it though, maybe you are the terrible viz localizator herself.

Last edited:
Agreed on the latter but Viz is almost every time worst or at best equal, this is more clear in other series tho

"The translator couldnt make it better for having no permission so its better"... no having no translation notes is not a good thing just cause it wasnt the localizator fault

Also, even ignoring that guys example was not conveying meaning but changing something cause brainlets would find it hard (that would be the same in english, thats bad localization cringe right there), the answer to your statement is NO, thats a lie:
a translator job is to TRANSLATE, they change the wording to convey meaning when a direct translation cant achieve it, when its needed and necessary, not just willy-nilly to remove any complexity or even things that are just "complicated"/to add cringey jokes/cause the "translator" wants to co-author like that guys msg example/etc.. without it having to do with the language, doent matter if you dont care for knowing, thats changing intent right there, only scum defend that, it dumps at the authors so the "localizator" can co-author, rewriting stuff for his taste instead of translating

Its a lot like 4kids used to do back in the day because they assume all the public are brainlet kids who will act racist against japanese culture just because you are. If you just remove content or harshly twist this you failed as a translator and is LOCALIZING instead, a very different job. This was understood for decades and the anime/manga scene was getting some great quality stuff (both from fan scans and licensing alike) but ever since the viz "era" got a hold on the big stuff online its been downhill, and everywhere theres syncophants who know nothing about translating defending their horrible measures everywhere solely so they can taste corporation cock, theres even clowns that defend "Zolo" and "animal kingdom" in the OP stuff or the garbo from the OPM stuff too.

Viz has been horrible in much of their manga for a while and whoever is the hack fraud doing it now has no business even calling themselves translators, switching the og japanese meaning and using slangs was bad enough but now they change stuff that isnt a language issue even and they still have some cock gobbler to defend even that? Give a break, you wont pretend to be a bigger hxh fan by fake liking a horrible "localization" of it just cause some american publisher paid to profit off you. Theres a reason millions refuse to use viz shit or take into account its bad to a buncha series.

Anyone defending twisting up togashi work doesnt like hxh and is only using "manga fan" as a replacement to personality at best. Its like saying you like the original saints row and then defend the new cringy one eveyrone hates cause a corporation did it, poseur strat. The fact you try to change the subject later proves you know its true but wont admit to it though, maybe you are the terrible viz localizator herself.
Hunter x Hunter is one of the few great translations from viz though. Lillian Olsen has more than 3 decades of experience translating some of the biggest manga ever. Calm down and touch some grass