Break Week I'm pretty sure that Guernica is supposed to be Joseph

A while ago, Oda revealed the names of some CP0 members in an SBS. Guernica was the guy that interrupted Kaido vs Luffy, and Joseph was the tall guy with the flower mask. What's weird though is that it was mentioned in the manga (many chapters prior to the aforementioned SBS) that a CP0 agent named Guernica took a picture of Nika and sent it to the WG. This is very bizarre because he took a Destroyer Bagua to the head and didn't even try to block it, so it definitely should have killed him since this is the same attack that "killed" Luffy. It was even shown in the manga that Guernica was tipping his hat and looking down, clearly implying that he knew he was about to die, and "Joseph" was clearly shown mourning for "Guernica", also heavily implying that he died. It was also shown that Joseph was the only CP0 agent leaving Onigashima. In the SBS where their names were revealed, Guernica and Joseph were listed right next to each other, so it wouldn't be too unbelievable that Oda accidentally swapped their names, and it's such a minor detail that no one would bother to fact check it.

I know that obviously Admiral fans and Kaido haters will just explain away this "plot hole" as Kaido just being weak af, but it just really doesn't make much sense for Oda to heavily imply that Kaido killed "Guernica", only to indirectly imply that he survived in the SBS (a vast majority of fans don't read the SBS, and a vast majority of fans who do read the SBS aren't gonna connect the dots unless they frequent powerscaling forums like this where people will obsessively look for any reason to downplay certain characters)

Last edited:
Just like how Oven threw the most rage induced flame slash at Pound's neck, next panel showing the sword dripping with blood, only for Pound to miraculously survive and escape on a boat without a scratch?

How bout the classic Pell?
Difference is that these guys had their survival hard confirmed in the actual manga. Do you really see Guernica ever showing up again in the story?

"Guernica" is supposed to be a parallel to the old hag who interrupted Kaido vs Oden and got killed by Kaido for it. It's clearly shown in the manga that Joseph thought Guernica died, the Gorosei thought Guernica died, and even Guernica himself thought he was going to die. Why would Oda reveal his survival in such a bizarre and roundabout way?

Yeah, we also don't see him jumping away from Onigashima during the final clash between Luffy and Kaidou, while Joseph was seen jumping away during it.
Seems like he either died on the spot and Joseph took the picture before leaving, or he managed to hang on long enough to take the picture then died right after.
But then again, this is the same author that faked the deaths of:
Pell
Sabo
Oven
Sabo
iirc Luffy a couple times
etc.

Yeah I have thought about this and it may very well be the case. One correction that Kaido didn't use thunder bagua but a nameless attack.

Nonetheless he probably died after taking the picture most likely and even then If oda wants he won't kill a character no matter how logical it seems like.

Kuma tanked akainu's magma to his face for example.

It's possible yeah, or maybe He did a Jiraya
But's it's not an important detail imo, what matters is that someone interfered which led to Luffy's Death
And then his New Form was caught on camera

Btw Guernica doesn't only Parallel that Old Hag
First time We saw an Epic Duel between Warriors was when Dorry & Brogy Fought, it was ruined by Mr. 3
And then in Whole Cake Island Arc, We had Flampe ruin Luffy vs Katakuri Fight
And then again Onimaru interfered in Zoro/Killer Duel
And later We learned that Oden vs Kaidou was also ruined
Leading to Kaidou & Luffy getting same treatment

The idea here is that it seems some Fights are Fated to be ruined like that
I won't even be surprised if Akainu vs Aokiji also had a Flampe like Character watching the Fight

Yeah I have thought about this and it may very well be the case. One correction that Kaido didn't use thunder bagua but a nameless attack.

Nonetheless he probably died after taking the picture most likely and even then If oda wants he won't kill a character no matter how logical it seems like.

Kuma tanked akainu's magma to his face for example.
Also the Moria level (he was seen clashing with him in Marineford so I consider him Moria level) bum Curiel was hit by Akainu's magma fist point blank and didn't even have a hole in his stomach

Until Oda “corrects” it, I’m not treating it like a mistake
Problem is that Japanese fans would rather ask Oda to draw Nami's boobs personified instead of asking him about stuff like this.

Oda already mixed up York's and Atlas's names in the actual manga, so I'm just gonna assume he did the same with Guernica and Joseph since it makes the story make a lot more sense

Problem is that Japanese fans would rather ask Oda to draw Nami's boobs personified instead of asking him about stuff like this.

Oda already mixed up York's and Atlas's names in the actual manga, so I'm just gonna assume he did the same with Guernica and Joseph since it makes the story make a lot more sense
Or option C he just had Guernica survive long enough to take the picture and send it to the Marines/WG
I mean he had Kinemon survive an ACoC hit directly to his head from Kaidou when before a weaker one KOed him

Or option C he just had Guernica survive long enough to take the picture and send it to the Marines/WG
I mean he had Kinemon survive an ACoC hit directly to his head from Kaidou when before a weaker one KOed him
The way it was written , it did feel like a death scene for guernica. But oda is oda when it comes to killing.

S

Sasaki Kojirō

A while ago, Oda revealed the names of some CP0 members in an SBS. Guernica was the guy that interrupted Kaido vs Luffy, and Joseph was the tall guy with the flower mask. What's weird though is that it was mentioned in the manga (many chapters prior to the aforementioned SBS) that a CP0 agent named Guernica took a picture of Nika and sent it to the WG. This is very bizarre because he took a Destroyer Bagua to the head and didn't even try to block it, so it definitely should have killed him since this is the same attack that "killed" Luffy. It was even shown in the manga that Guernica was tipping his hat and looking down, clearly implying that he knew he was about to die, and "Joseph" was clearly shown mourning for "Guernica", also heavily implying that he died. It was also shown that Joseph was the only CP0 agent leaving Onigashima. In the SBS where their names were revealed, Guernica and Joseph were listed right next to each other, so it wouldn't be too unbelievable that Oda accidentally swapped their names, and it's such a minor detail that no one would bother to fact check it.

I know that obviously Admiral fans and Kaido haters will just explain away this "plot hole" as Kaido just being weak af, but it just really doesn't make much sense for Oda to heavily imply that Kaido killed "Guernica", only to indirectly imply that he survived in the SBS (a vast majority of fans don't read the SBS, and a vast majority of fans who do read the SBS aren't gonna connect the dots unless they frequent powerscaling forums like this where people will obsessively look for any reason to downplay certain characters)
1st - How does the revelation of the names of characters whose names have not been revealed before in the manga serve as an indicator that he is alive?

2nd - Kaido didn't use a named attack; the Death Destroyer isn't being used on the CP-0 agent.

3rd - The entire scene's context, even the subsequent context, is constructed to truly confirm his death: the Gorosei stating they lost one of their best agents, Joseph making a gesture symbolizing respect for the deceased.

4th - People in One Piece don't die instantly; Ace could give a speech to Luffy and bid farewell, Whitebeard was fighting Blackbeard while bearing critical wounds, Jinbei walking with a hole in his chest, Vegapunk being alive after being pierced by Saturn, the CP0 agent being able to take a photo and then die immediately isn't abnormal. Although the narrative needed that photo anyway, so his potential survival can't be taken seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well until we get a SBS that has Oda say it was a mistake, just accept or cope about it.

Unlike with Atlas and York in which he quickly fixed that mistake, so far he has yet to fix the whole thing with Guernica and Joseph, so there is still that high chance that it wasn't a mistake.