Powers & Abilities Inconsistency of Zoro’s fighting ability

Zoro’s fighting ability is inconsistent

Basically what Morj says is that Zoro is as strong as the plot requires him to be

Which falls in line with my theory that Oda doesn’t even know how Zoro fights.

Remember back in Mihawk vs Zoro in alabasta? Zoro finished that fight with a failed attempt to perform “3 sword secret technique 3000 worlds”. Makes sense. Mihawk is no.1 so Zoro pulls out “secret techniques”.

Question is, what happened to this “secret technique”? As a point of reference, Zoro DID NOT use this technique again until Thriller Bark fighting Oars. That’s a 400 chapter gap in which Zoro has got into extreme difficulty fights and even got multiple power ups, BUT did not ever use his “secret technique”

The next time this technique appears is Zoro cutting Pica. Note, he cuts Pica using “3000 worlds” while he cuts Pica’s golem using “Greater 3000 worlds”. This of course implies that he held back on Pica not to literally kill him hence downgrading to a weaker version of the technique.

The problem with that is this is the only time Zoro’s shown to be able to do this. For example Onigiri turned into Purgatory Onigiri post time skip and Zoro has never been show on be able to revert back to the regular Onigiri post time skip.

We know Zoro still knows the pre time skip versions of his abilities such as him using “two sword Tower climb” on Hawkins but we’ve never seen him have both pre time skip and post time skip version of a technique except with the “3000 worlds”

And of course not to mention Ashura that hasn’t returned for 500 chapters same was “3000 worlds” didn’t return for 400 chapters yet both Techniques appeared to be Zoro’s best.

All in all this general lack of consistency in how Zoro’s powers are structured in Oda’s mind along with Morj’s video about how loose Zoro’s power level is just leads me to believe this is just a plot thing. Zoro’s abilities and strength are probably the most dependent on what the plot says than anyone.

The plot says “Zoro trains everyday” so Zoro can be as strong as whatever Oda wants. The plot says “Zoro actually used Haki in Alabasta” so now Zoro can fight Kaido without 30 chapters of training like Luffy. The plot says “Zoro trains with Enma” so whatever level of strength is required he gets.

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
I disagree here. I think Zoro's power is pretty consistent. He is always too strong.
Then Oda works around it and creates scenarios which keep Zoro's power in check.
Either Oda makes the opponent uncuttable - Mr1 or creates an overpowered character which can only be defeated through natural counter - Enel or creates an opponent who can overwhelm Zoro's combat style for some time - Kaku or creates a super giant zombie who feels nothing - Oars or places in front of Zoro an opponent with the ability to repel literally anything - Kuma or pairs him with Kizaru...

That's how it worked in pre TS but in post TS it is even more obvious that Zoro has been too strong for almost anything that came his way.
Defeats a logia through sheer fear - Monet, Oda pairs him with a guy who can take Zoro's slashes without being affected - Pica, places an Admiral in Zoro's way again, makes him fight without 3rd sword - Killer or simply stalls - Apoo...
There is also the plot necessity to diversify the powers Zoro uses, it would be incredibly boring if Zoro uses Asura/3k worlds vs literally every opponent.

Finalbeta

Zoro Worshipper
Zoro's fighting style is pretty consistent, solid and on point. I don't witness any discrepancy when it comes to that. Inconsistencies are part of plot armor, not Zoro's fault. This is entirely why he can look weaker or weird sometimes. They can happen to all characters as long as Oda needs it.

Did you even read Dressrosa my man.

Zoro’s fighting ability is inconsistent

Basically what Morj says is that Zoro is as strong as the plot requires him to be

Which falls in line with my theory that Oda doesn’t even know how Zoro fights.

Remember back in Mihawk vs Zoro in alabasta? Zoro finished that fight with a failed attempt to perform “3 sword secret technique 3000 worlds”. Makes sense. Mihawk is no.1 so Zoro pulls out “secret techniques”.

Question is, what happened to this “secret technique”? As a point of reference, Zoro DID NOT use this technique again until Thriller Bark fighting Oars. That’s a 400 chapter gap in which Zoro has got into extreme difficulty fights and even got multiple power ups, BUT did not ever use his “secret technique”

The next time this technique appears is Zoro cutting Pica. Note, he cuts Pica using “3000 worlds” while he cuts Pica’s golem using “Greater 3000 worlds”. This of course implies that he held back on Pica not to literally kill him hence downgrading to a weaker version of the technique.

The problem with that is this is the only time Zoro’s shown to be able to do this. For example Onigiri turned into Purgatory Onigiri post time skip and Zoro has never been show on be able to revert back to the regular Onigiri post time skip.

We know Zoro still knows the pre time skip versions of his abilities such as him using “two sword Tower climb” on Hawkins but we’ve never seen him have both pre time skip and post time skip version of a technique except with the “3000 worlds”

And of course not to mention Ashura that hasn’t returned for 500 chapters same was “3000 worlds” didn’t return for 400 chapters yet both Techniques appeared to be Zoro’s best.

All in all this general lack of consistency in how Zoro’s powers are structured in Oda’s mind along with Morj’s video about how loose Zoro’s power level is just leads me to believe this is just a plot thing. Zoro’s abilities and strength are probably the most dependent on what the plot says than anyone.

The plot says “Zoro trains everyday” so Zoro can be as strong as whatever Oda wants. The plot says “Zoro actually used Haki in Alabasta” so now Zoro can fight Kaido without 30 chapters of training like Luffy. The plot says “Zoro trains with Enma” so whatever level of strength is required he gets.
Zoro actually used another Three Sword Style Secret Technique (Crossing the Six Paths) which was...to use a fan comment style here...portrayed next to Elephant Gun and Sanji's Grill Shot

Exactly. People are going to say "oh Enma" when the truth is that he hasn't unleashed his true strength yet in the new world. Oda has had him lose through context like captures at FI and PH while having his great showings deferred, like not allowing him to really fight Fujitora.

And this stuff about his moves...

Oda doesn't really think about fighting. The manga is so absurd that you can't apply all that much logic anyway. But aside from storytelling ability I'm pretty sure he's picked up a library book or gone on a field trip in school or something... at some point learning that fighting isn't about what you can do but what you can get off. You don't spam your best punch, and you don't work one stroke with your sword.