Character Discussion Is Fujitora really a hypocrite? Or...

What is Fujitora's future?

• Tiger & Dragon challenge the Gods

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Fight against the Strawhats

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fight against somebody else

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Get killed by Mihawk

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Others

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
I've seen many other different posts on it and I've had this discussion before in regards to Fujitora being a hypocrite and hence people don't like him. And recently just few minutes ago my brudda Seth made this post below in our discussion. So i'm going to use this as a base reference for this thread and I appreciate @Seth allowing me to do so as well.

Fuji a huge hypocrite tho.
He wanted the end of Warlords system cause it's evil pirates but then he likes to sip a drink with his homie on Mariejois full of slaves which coincidentally he never talks about.
That's why I don't like Fujitora's personality.
Ryokugyu is at least straight forward
The stance that Fujitora is a hypocrite essentially stems from the idea that he wanted the warlord system abolished because he believes pirates are evil peoples, but then at the sametime he turns a blind eye to rest of the World Government's atrocities. Example of it listed in the above quote.

In my opinion, this really stems from a specific understanding about Fujitora's character. This understanding is rather widespread in the fandom in general. The understanding being that Fujitora became an admiral with the main purpose of abolishing the warlords. That the abolition of the Warlord System that occurred during the Reverie, where Fujitora succeeded in removing 1 of the 3 great powers of the "World balance", was Fujitora's main goal. Because with that understanding it makes perfect sense as to why people would view Fujitora as a hypocrite (though this logic would also extend to a lot more other characters). The issue however is.. this understanding of Fujitora's character is a misunderstanding.

I really want to take the time to clear up this misunderstanding about a character who I hold in VERY high regard due to the top tier writing Oda has done with him. I'm going to first explain the abolition of the Warlord system how Fujitora's mindset came to be on it. THEN I will address his view/focus on the attrocities the World Government commits.

ABOLITION OF THE WARLORDS:

I will start with this simple statement: Abolition of the Warlords was not Fujitora's personal main goal. In fact the idea itself was not something Fujitora came up on his own. Allow me to explain.

You see few years back before Fujitora is ever introduced into the series, there was an issue related to a criminal in which the end result was a war with over 300,000+ soldiers. Where that country's people were stripped of their living and fought in a pointless bloodshed, all at the fingertips of a certain entity who wanted to become a King. That entity being none other than the criminal named Crocodile. Now this warlord was then confronted by a Marine HQ Captain, that Marine HQ captain however couldn't do anything to this man due to being of lower rank. This marine felt HELPLESS and at the mercy of this criminal because despite knowing this man was terrible for the people of Alabasta. Despite knowing this man should be arrested, he could not take action. Why? Because that criminal was a Warlord. An entity under the protection of the World Government. That helplessness the marine felt during the events that took place in Alabasta is something that would carry with him for years even when he would go on to become a Vice Admiral.

Now we fast forward roughly two years from the events of Alabasta and few weeks/months before the events of Dressrosa. That Vice Admiral who had felt helpless during Alabasta, meets with an individual who had joined the marines just a bit ago and had recently been promoted to the position of Admiral. The Vice Admiral being Smoker, and the Admiral being Fu ji tora. During his conversation with Fujitora, Smoker tells him about his helplessness and all that jazz along with how he wished he had a higher rank back then (above panels being from that convo). BUT you see Smoker also tells Fujitora his own desire, his own belief related to the warlord system. That belief being the abolition of the warlords. It is Smoker who tells Fujitora that he believes the Warlords should be disbanded, and then tells him of the events that happened at Alabasta to justify his belief. While Fujitora is patiently listening to what Smoker is saying hence the "..." in the flashback scene.

After this meeting between Smoker & Fujitora the events of Punk Hazard unfold. In the aftermath of the events of Punk Hazard, Smoker is told to warn the marine HQ of big things happening in Dressrosa related to Doflamingo. Which is also then followed by the news of Doflamingo resigning as a warlord. Thus, the newly made Admiral, Fujitora is sent to Dressrosa to deal with the situation related to Trafalgar Law & Doflamingo relating to their warlord status. While on his way to deal with Law & Doflamingo, he is informed by the Fleet Admiral of the marines... that the news regarding Doflamingo stepping down as King & Warlord was a dupe, and that Akainu himself would be going to the Gorosei to talk about this.

Now once he arrives at the spot where Law & Doffy are, he hears their conversation:

The conversation being about how a PIRATE aka A CRIMINAL was able to get the World Government to falsify reports. And Fujitora again, similar to the Smoker conversation, simply listens intently with "...". From this interaction we move on to the private meeting between Doflamingo & Fujitora that happens in front of King Riku. Fujitora informs Doffy that Marines are moving on the Strawhats and various criminals. And explains to him that he's doing it for the sake of civilian safety, and if strawhat is going to be causing chaos his justice tells him that he needs to be stopped. During this statement Doffy is wondering, "yo where this mf going?"... and then Fujitora tells him that he'll deal with Doffy after dealing with strawhat. And right after that Fujitora makes his goal known. That he wants the complete and utter eradication of the 7 warlords system.

And in front of the rightful king of Dressrosa, King Riku, he makes it known that the reverie is this year, and whether Doflamingo likes it or not... the world will act.

Summary of events:

Fujitora has joined the Marines & Promoted to Admiral -> One of the lower ranking officers tells Fujitora that he believes the warlords should be abolished and tells him of the event that led to the civilian deaths of lord knows how many hundreds to thousands over the years and eventually in a giant civil war -> Fujitora then sees another warlord who has taken over a country and is dealing with pirates while also manipulating the Government for his own benefit -> He sees that the pirate has taken over this country which originally had a different king by the name of King Riku -> AFTER hearing and witnessing all of that he then makes a declaration that his has a goal to abolish the Warlord system.

Fujitora did what a great leader does. He witnessed the frustrations of his underling, he listened to the underling's belief, he listened to the complaint of his underling. Then keeping his underling's complaint/frustration/helplessness in mind he continued assessing the situation related to what his underling had stated... and then made it his goal to address the problem that the underling couldn't and wouldn't (Smoker admit even if he had the rank he wouldn't be able to do what Fuji did).

So no, Fujitora is not joining the marines with "yo pirates are evil, we don't need them in the world government"..... He after becoming a marine and becoming an admiral, addressed a giant concern that was preventing HIS MARINES from carrying out their duties against criminals. HIS MARINES felt helpless. HIS MARINES weren't able to do their duty properly due to a system put in place by the World Government. Fujitora does NOT believe "all pirates are evil" that is literally the point of his justice "Moral Justice". And that is something I will be addressing here in the next part... related to Fujitora's true goal.

FUJITORA'S GOAL:

As established above, Fujitora's goal in joining the marine wasn't abolishing warlords, that is a goal he formed after joining the Marines. So that leaves us with the question, what exactly is his goal? And the answer is truly is.. we don't know. Oda has kept Fujitora's purpose in joining the Marines a secret for now. However, let's go over Fujitora's personal beliefs and his character to try and take a guess what he's truly aiming after, as the abolition of the warlords was just 1 goal in the grand scheme.

1st. Fujitora's Justice (and leadership):
His justice, 仁義ある正義 Righteous Justice (Humane justice/Moral Justice), is essentially the "fix" to the current marine moto of "Absolute Justice". The distinction between the two justices being highlighted in the introduction of Absolute Justice and Fujitora's official introduction. In the intro to Absolute Justice, the emphasis is put on the eradication of the evil forces on the seas and crushing them with might. Which is later reinforced during Ennis Lobby where Onigumo was willing to sacrifice a thousand marines to make sure that the criminals were eradicated no matter what the cost. Or even in the movie Red for example, civilian safety was put behind the eradication of criminal. It is a principle that if somebody is labeled a criminal, they must be eradicated, no exceptions.

While in Fujitora's introduction the emphasis is put on taking into account the number of people that need to be protect before worrying about the eradication of criminals. This emphasis on civilian safety even leaves a Marine completely stunned who can't believe that a marine Admiral just said that. That marine brotha was so shook and had the face "yo what? We had our priorities wrong this entire time?" lmao:

Fujitora's justice also makes a distinction between criminals. Not only did he let Strawhat Luffy go after seeing the impact and gratefulness people had towards him (because prior to this he was just assuming who/what luffy was based on reputation and him being a pirate who had beef against Doffy). After personally interacting with him and see who he was (much like Sabo), he let him go. Not only did he let him go, he also helped clear his way from fodder. Why? Because it was morally right. He establishes that "yo we're not complete idiots who can't tell whether somebody is doing good or bad". What is so great about this is that he was genuinely happy that there is a kind person like Luffy out there:

So we see that he completely stands out from the likes of Garp/Sengoku/Smoker who while being "good" are still pretty hellbent on hunting down criminals whether they're good or not. This is displayed even in movie Red, where Kizaru wasn't caring much about civilian causalities being caused long as he could take care of the criminals present. Fujitora on the other hand later is like... yea we could fight right now, but that fight is going to be hurting a lot of civilians so we not throwing down like that now. So there is a VERY CLEAR distinction between his ideologies as a marine vs what rest of the marines follow (even the good guys like Garp and such).

But the most important thing that seperates what Fujitora's justice is about compared to Absolute Justice is... accountability. Dressrosa was a part of the World Government, and it was invaded and ravaged by a weapon of the World Government, Warlord named Doflamingo. But the World Government did not take accountability. In Alabasta, the Marines themselves covered up and took fake credit for the downfall of Crocodile, instead of taking accountability that they simply failed. Fujitora comes in says.. NAH if we fuck up, if we are the reason somebody suffers, if we are the reason that dozens of innocent people die, and if we fail to do our job to protect the countries who have joined the World Government... Then we soldiers will own up to it. Then we as soldiers who's job is to protect the people will give our apology.

The other thing that's really standout in my opinion is that he leads by example. He's not forcing the marines to bow down, he bows down and so do rest of the marines. If he's saying civilian protection is the priority, then he stands by that and pins down his own marines with gravity when they get controlled by Doflamingo to make sure civilians are safe. When he hears his subordinates complain or have an issue with something he addresses it so they can perform to the best of their abilities. He truly embodies what a leader of soldiers who're meant to protect the people should be.

2nd. His past & The World Government: There isn't much we know about Fujitora's past outside of us knowing that he saw things that were so unbearable that he chose to blind himself. What those things are, could be anyone's guess. Based on his words wanting to see how Luffy's face looked because he believes Luffy's face looks kind.

But his stance on the World Government doesn't seem to be "let's follow orders". He flat out tells a Marine Vice-Admiral, to ignore World Government protocol and instead follow his own command. He questions the World Government's authority as some sort of god. And key here is that the ones who control the World Government and run it... are referred to as Gods. So he's essentially questioning the power/supremacy of the Celestial Dragons, which is why Oda puts so much emphasis in this scene with even having the Vice Admiral shake up and fall on his knees.

3rd. Fujitora & The Revolutionaries: I found it very coincidental that the admiral who has faced against the revolutionaries twice so far in the series, also happened to be the admiral who happened to be the one bringing change to the status-quo of the World Government. And each time he's faced the revolutionaries, the revolutionaries escaped. Mere coincident? Personally I don't believe so. Fujitora very well could've put Sabo down had he wanted to, and still let Luffy take down Doflamingo. But instead he let Sabo go after putting up a fake fight in front of the other marines to keep "appearance". And I believe he did the same thing at Mariejois.

But what really builds this up for me is the flashback with Vegapunk where he's talking to Dragon:

You see Vegapunk didn't join the World Government due to simply $$$, no he knew that within the Marines in particular there were still some "good people" who could contribute to the goal that Dragon has, toppling the Celestial Dragons. Which is why he tells Dragon not to lose sight of the goal, after Dragon says VP has become a government lapdog. Now in the present storyline... since post-TS. Who is the marine top tier that's been constantly associated with Vegapunk? That has met up with Vegapunk? ding ding ding you guessed it, Fujitora.

At the sametime, Dragon is also the last person Shaka decides to contact while knowing he was 100% going to be killed:

Mere coincidence? I think not.

Theory of his actual goal:

With the above three points it becomes easier to see the possible goal(s) he had by becoming a Marine. He truly wants to change how the World Government (and by extension Marines) operate. He stands against those who commit henious crimes and things and there is nobody who commits more henious things than the Celestial Dragons, the authority and power of whom Fujitora questioned.

I believe Fujitora, while knowing there is an entity/organization out there that is opposing the World Government, decided to become a marine to also try and change the the World Government (and by extension Marines). With the ultimate goal being the overthrowing the Gods, Celestial Dragons.

In Chinese Mythology there are two powerful animals that define the Yin & Yang, elements that make up the universe... Dragon & Tiger. The Dragon representing the skies and the Tiger representing the earth. Oda similarly has given Dragon the power to control the winds, while Fujitora gets a more ground related power with gravity. In the Ying Yang theory from ancient China, the Tiger is considered Guardian of the West, while the Dragon is considered guardian of the East. While we don't know where Fujitora is from... we do know that Dragon is from East blue.

So what you essentially have are two giant forces representing great power, and aiming to bring about change in their own way. While on two separate paths there is a thread that ties them together, that thread being Dr. Vegapunk. Vegapunk getting Fujitora to help Dragon's goals (reflect back to VP telling Dragon not lose sight of the goal simply cause VP joined the WG). While Vegapunk is likely to due with a sacrifice in this present arc for the strawhats to escape or whatever it may be. His choice to join the World Government with the belief the Marines have some decent/good men that could help with the goal, will be proven correct... when The Tiger & The Dragon join forces to challenge the heavens in order to overthrow the Gods.

That I believe is Fujitora's present goal, he will in conjunction to the Revolutionary Army's attack on the World Government, will be leading the Marines who don't agree with the ways of the World Government. And at the present he's trying to prepare however he can for that change he wants to see in the Marines and the World Government down the line. Starting from leading by example, holding accountability, and such.

Could I be wrong? Of course. However, what I am 100% certain of is that Fujitora is not in agreement with the World Government and the things they are doing, that he has grander plans to change the institution with the aim being at the Celestial Dragons. Who was shown constantly talking about the importance of keeping the warlords over and over everytime a warlord was taken out? The Gorosei, top of the Celestial Dragons. And who was the man that destroyed that very precious system the CD tried hard to keep? Fu Ji To Ra

So please share your opinions, and hope you all enjoyed the read if you managed to read through it.
I got a bit carried away, since he's such damn fantastic character to just analyze and predict about.
Thank you!

Last edited:

Garp the Fist

Bwahahahaha
Excellent thread.

I had always thought that Fuji joined to get rid of the Warlords. I think your argument is really convincing though, and puts a very interesting slant on Fujitora’s motivations in Dressrosa and for the series.

This is genuinely one of the only times I can remember seeing a thread on here that has made me change my perspective on something, so really, kudos.

Fujitoras a massive hypocrite. His observation haki allows him to sense locations and emotions, how this man can preach morality and happily walk across Mariejoa literally on top of slaves is why he’s such a hypocrite.

He’s a believer in the world government and protects celestial dragons, but acts like a saint. He talks about saving lives, but even in dressrosa he was willing to allow the entire country to become a bloodbath to prove a point.

And yeah in the end he’s going to be taken down along side Ryokugyu, who may be an ashole but he doesn’t feign being a saint which is better than Fuji.

Great thread! Your theory is plausible.

1 - What you wrote will occur. Fujitora (55 years old) will change the marines from within and become the new FA for 15 years. He will retire or become a teacher at 70. Koby (18) will be 33 at that point and the youngest Fleet Admiral of all time.

2 - Fujitora is Mihawks hype tools just like Shanks had Ryukogyu.

I like your theory better + the context I added.

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
Wow, I didn’t have to read that OP to tell you @Seth was drunk when he made that comment lol
Why? Because I don't blindly praise every Admiral? Shut up.

Of course Fujitora isn’t okay with the government taking slaves, what kind of absolute shit take is that…
He has no reaction to slavery going on within the World Government.

He can sense the emotions and locations of people due to his superb mastery over Observation Haki and he never talks about slavery going on within the World Government but fights the Warlord system as if his higher-ups are not evil mfkers themselves.

He sips tea with his homie on the Mariejois grounds only worrying about the Warlord system.

Ryokugyu appears to be one of his better homies. Ryo at least doesn't pretend to be a saint:

He apologizes to Riku or whatever his name was not because of the tragedy and massacre that Doflamingo caused on Dressrosa. He apologizes because Doflamingo is a Warlord and it is World Government's mistake.

Great thread, listening relax music, reading this, seeing the panels with a mystery air around Fujitora was epic.

This thread is a 100/10 for sure. I mean, look at the scans and the mystery air, when Fujitora says he wants to see Luffy and everything your wrote.

This makes me think 1 thing, Fujitora is the right hand of Dragon, not Sabo, but only Dragon knows this. Not even Sabo.

Why? Because Sabo is revos number 2, not number 1 and right hand. Dragon is the leader, so I dont think he should be counted just as Luffy isnt counted in his own crew, he is Captain and has 9 Commanders.

Until Fuji doesn't show or prove he is against slavery, he will still be hypocrite. And the fact that he let SH go is also a proof that he is a hypocrite. Deciding who is good and who is not.

Hopefully he doesn't change sides. It will be cringe if he does.

Great thread, listening relax music, reading this, seeing the panels with a mystery air around Fujitora was epic.

This thread is a 100/10 for sure. I mean, look at the scans and the mystery air, when Fujitora says he wants to see Luffy and everything your wrote.

This makes me think 1 thing, Fujitora is the right hand of Dragon, not Sabo, but only Dragon knows this. Not even Sabo.

Why? Because Sabo is revos number 2, not number 1 and right hand. Dragon is the leader, so I dont think he should be counted just as Luffy isnt counted in his own crew, he is Captain and has 9 Commanders.
Luffy is counted though. As Zoro address Sanji as No. 4.

Until Fuji doesn't show or prove he is against slavery, he will still be hypocrite. And the fact that he let SH go is also a proof that he is a hypocrite. Deciding who is good and who is not.

Hopefully he doesn't change sides. It will be cringe if he does.

Luffy is counted though. As Zoro address Sanji as No. 4.
I mean, by the world Goverment. Luffy is the captain, the others are his subordinates, Zoro number 1, Sanji 2, etc.

The same with Teach, he is the Chieg Admiral, and then he has his 10 titanic captains or something like that.

WB top 5 vs RA top 5 would be something if this comes true

Whitebeard - Dragon
Oden - Fujitora
Ace - Sabo
Marco - Kuma
Jozu - Ivankov

And then you still have Vista, Karasu and many more strong guys in either team.

WB top 5 vs RA top 5 would be something if this comes true

Whitebeard - Dragon
Oden - Fujitora
Ace - Sabo
Marco - Kuma
Jozu - Ivankov

And then you still have Vista, Karasu and many more strong guys in either team.

Well, but fight them? Hahaha. You still could make a thread for the versus.