Character Discussion Is King the most wanked Commander in OP verse as of now?

Gol D. Roger

ȶɦɛ քɨʀǟȶɛ ӄɨռɢ
Good job @Boiroy

I like this thread

You tried to sneak Katakuri in a group with Marco as if we wouldnt notice lmao. Marco do have a case to be the most respected/wanked/protected commander, but Katakuri has no business here. Not even the most delusional fanboys believe Katakuri was a bigger threat than Big Mom.

You are giving your own definition of wank. Let me try.

- Wank is when WG selects King's DNA despite Kaido being their prisoner, the same Kaido who is known as the toughest pirate in the world
- Wank is, as OP pointed out, when Whitebeard, Marco, Queen, etc. everyone calls the character a God or when Kaido change the name of the character to "King"
- Wank is when King solos an entire yonko crew including Katakuri's mommy
- Wank is when Kaido's skin gets cut with basic tatsumaki but King blocks it clean
- Wank is when King's abilities and his race remain relevant till EoS through the most significant late addition to the story, seraphims

Regarding Oda tossing King to the wolves, he got defeated by an admiral under unknown circumstances. Arent you the one who always wanks admirals? Why is it a shame now to get defeated by an admiral when there is high possibility King was crippled and in no condition to fight? Katakuri got beaten by a Luffy who got one-shotted by Kaido. Heck, even Killer didnt get one shotted while fighting Kaido. The only time Katakuri gets a panel after WCI, Oda makes him look like a fool so that Caesar Clown get a W, is that what you call protected lmao?

Cant you see how highly Oda thinks of King's abilities from this chapter? Katakuri didnt get the basic respect like the other YC1s. He was never called the right hand man unlike King & Marco. He has the lowest bounty out of the three, Heck Oda even gave Queen has a higher bounty than Katakuri.
You know King's giving grandpa Zen nightmares when he goes out of his way to enter almost every single King-related thread only to call him a retard for losing to Zoro. He's slowly running out of options to tackle the unstoppable King wank.:zosleepy: So he's going around wanking the Lunarian race instead. It's indirect King wank anyways.

It's the fact that King is a lunarian who should be nearly impossible to put down, and even had a matchup advantage against Greenbull and yet Oda still drew him like he was trash is what confirms King is not wanked.

Oda didn't draw far lesser characters in such a position.
This is not even worth addressing but Kat was not CC's hypetool at all, he simply freed the Vinsmokes on a cover page, momentarily stopping Katakuri.

CC got plenty of hype back in PH when he knocked Luffy out cold, we know how hax he can be.
Double standard lol

You know King's giving grandpa Zen nightmares when he goes out of his way to enter almost every single King-related thread only to call him a retard for losing to Zoro. He's slowly running out of options to tackle the unstoppable King wank.:zosleepy: So he's going around wanking the Lunarian race instead. It's indirect King wank anyways.
@ZenZu Its time to accept Gol D. gets a W about King.

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
Lmfao I was tagged in the other thread. This is the only thread I commented on.

Regarding King being an idiot. I've been saying that for a long time now. But I've flip flopped on that fight because it always confused me. Now it's relevant again with the focus back on the flame on/off gimmick.

Friendly reminder that King doesn't exist. This is a knock on Oda I don't care how strong King the cartoon character is, I've been saying he beats Katakuri for a long time now. What I can't stand is abysmal writing. And King vs Zoro final chapter is going down as some of the worst we've seen.

Also depending on how Oda plays this, King takes a big hit strengthwise too, if he is forced to exit flame mode for w.e reason. So I don't think King fans should feel good about this from a power level perspective.

Personally I'd prefer King being exploitable through new info, over King being dumb for Zoro's sake. That would cheapen Zoro's victory.

Gol D. Roger

ȶɦɛ քɨʀǟȶɛ ӄɨռɢ
Lmfao I was tagged in the other thread. This is the only thread I commented on.

Regarding King being an idiot. I've been saying that for a long time now. But I've flip flopped on that fight because it always confused me. Now it's relevant again with the focus back on the flame on/off gimmick.

Friendly reminder that King doesn't exist. This is a knock on Oda I don't care how strong King the cartoon character is, I've been saying he beats Katakuri for a long time now. What I can't stand is abysmal writing. And King vs Zoro final chapter is going down as some of the worst we've seen.

Also depending on how Oda plays this, King takes a big hit strengthwise too, if he is forced to exit flame mode for w.e reason. So I don't think King fans should feel good about this from a power level perspective.

Personally I'd prefer King being exploitable through new info, over King being dumb for Zoro's sake. That would cheapen Zoro's victory.
The chapter made it pretty clear King's out of options against Zoro as far as I am concerned. He could've won by stalling Zoro regardless of whether King had an exploitable weakness or not, but his ego didn't allow it due to his sense of superiority, which is something we observed in almost every other strong character including Kaido and Katakuri. The fact that that's the only negative thing you can say about him says it all for me lmao. I am enjoying this moment.

ZenZu

The chapter made it pretty clear King's out of options against Zoro as far as I am concerned. He could've won by stalling Zoro regardless of whether King had an exploitable weakness or not
Could he have? That's the answer we need, and we won't get that answer until Oda explains what the deal is with Lunarians.

The ego part would make sense since every single villain ends up losing that way but King's case is even more special cause like....why can't he have the ego with flames on?

Did using that final attack require flames to be off? If it was his choice that is beyond stupid, because nothing regarding his ego changes.

It's really a simple equation; King holds one of the highest bounties we've seen of any subordinate and he's a Yonkos strongest underling, this is all true and plenty hype.........but he's also comparable to Queen, that's it no more no less. Anyone trying to praise him above this is wanking him and anyone doing the opposite is downplaying him, he isn't Zoros last opponent nor second to last opponent, he's not even Zoros final commander opponent. A character with a cool design and personality who I believe was extremely underutilized and often times neglected in the only arc where he himself will ever be relevant. Oda could have done much more with his established concepts but didn't, he posses a tricky and powerful gimmick ability like some other characters in the story which is used to justify his power position when compared to commanders with awakening, powerful Haki and a wide array of advanced weaponry; had a decently choreographed but narratively dry fight with Zoro, then was used as a hype tool for a far greater future threat alongside his fellow crewmate.......that's it, that's King.

Gol D. Roger

ȶɦɛ քɨʀǟȶɛ ӄɨռɢ
Could he have? That's the answer we need, and we won't get that answer until Oda explains what the deal is with Lunarians.

The ego part would make sense since every single villain ends up losing that way but King's case is even more special cause like....why can't he have the ego with flames on?

Did using that final attack require flames to be off? If it was his choice that is beyond stupid, because nothing regarding his ego changes.
Zoro confirmed it for him on the panel that dragging the battle would result in his death. So all it requires is some stalling. King doesn't need his Lunarian abilities to drag the battle. He could just fly around and not get caught by Zoro.

Zoro made him feel inferior by mocking his invulnerability i.e., he can beat him even with his defense, so King wanted to prove he can beat him without using it. That's how I interpreted it.

It's possible that he needed to turn off his flames to use the flame dragon, but he didn't turn the flames off the first time he used it.

Zoro made him feel inferior by mocking his invulnerability i.e., he can beat him even with his defense, so King wanted to prove he can beat him without using it. That's how I interpreted it.

It's possible that he needed to turn off his flames to use the flame dragon, but he didn't turn the flames off the first time he used it.
I think King realized keeping flames on wouldnt help him against AdCoC and that final flame dragon needed turning flames off due to its size.

Gol D. Roger

ȶɦɛ քɨʀǟȶɛ ӄɨռɢ
I think King realized keeping flames on wouldnt help him against AdCoC and that final flame dragon needed turning flames off due to its size.
I don't know if it's CoC but yes, King realized it doesn't help against Zoro. That's why Zoro mocked him because King's scared of him even with his flames on. That mockery triggered King and made him do what he did. The flame dragon thing could be a reason too, but I think the former makes more sense. It's not new for characters to do dumb shit to satisfy their ego, which mostly costs them the battle. And then there is the fact that he didn't turn it off the first time he used a flame dragon.

ZenZu

Zoro confirmed it for him on the panel that dragging the battle would result in his death. So all it requires is some stalling. King doesn't need his Lunarian abilities to drag the battle. He could just fly around and not get caught by Zoro.
I took Zoro tagging him with Tatsumaki as pretty decent proof that King can't escape him even in the air.

See this to me is stupid. This is what I would call bad writing if true.

I'm actually ok with King not wanting to win by being defensive and directly being the one to kill Zoro because of ego, but if turning off flames was not a requirement that just ruins the entire thing.

Especially if Zoro was starting to become such a massive threat.

Flame on mode losing its edge once Zoro got advCoC which made King go the route of speed to gain an edge is easier to accept.

Zoro's own words contradict this multiple times though....figuring out the gimmick was just as important as without it he couldn't have won even with advCoC.

The whole situation is just coming off as extremely convenient for Zoro atm, as if the ACoC powerup was not enough King has to hand himself to Zoro on a silver platter 😑.

Maybe....

Due to the time constraint advCoC + knowledge of gimmick was required to pull off the W.

Under normal circumstances either advCoC OR knowledge of gimmick would have won him the battle alone?

That's certainly a balanced option.

No I'd say Oda treats King the worst out of the right hands and by a large margin. King overall has the best feats but he's never shown much love by Oda.

Wank is what Oda did with Katakuri in WCI when he made him a bigger threat than a Yonkou and refused to have MC Luffy get a clear win over him. Wank is what Oda does when he draws Marco ragdolling King and Queen together on panel and top tiers run away from him. Oda didn't draw a single panel of King doing anything to Marco. All we see is Marco exhausted with no good panels of King doing anything, while he had Marco sonning King and Queen put together. That's what you call wank.

And the worst of it all was when Oda tossed King to the wolves when he drew Greenbull using him as fertilizer. Forget Marco and Katakuri, I know Doflamingo would never be drawn in that manner. Not even Crocodile. And yet King, someone arguably the strongest of the bunch was chewed up and spit out.

He was also called King the background for a reason. Nigh irrelevant only waiting for a 2 chapter fight to lose to Zoro. To make matters worse we don't even know why King lost so fast, it almost seems like Oda just had him throw when he should have outlasted Zoro who could barely fight for a few mins.

So yea overall, King is the most disrespected first mate by far.
Yeah kat s extreme diff with oven made him looks so good
Its better to lose to a top tier and acoc users
Than tie with oven
:suresure: so much respect for mochi merchant

I don't know if it's CoC but yes, King realized it doesn't help against Zoro. That's why Zoro mocked him because King's scared of him even with his flames on. That mockery triggered King and made him do what he did. The flame dragon thing could be a reason too, but I think the former makes more sense.
Its the same theme we saw against Kaido. Luffy needed AdCoC to do some serious damage to Kaido or Oden needed AdCoC to give Kaido a PTSD with a lasting scar. Simply put, AdCoC is a magic power that can overwhelm any defense, be it Lunarian's flame or Kaido's dragon scale.

And then there is the fact that he didn't turn it off the first time he used a flame dragon.
Those two flame dragons were not that big. His final attack was called "extra large imperial flame wings"

ZenZu

Yeah kat s extreme diff with oven made him looks so good
Its better to lose to a top tier and acoc users
Than tie with oven
:suresure: so much respect for mochi merchant
Kat never went extreme diff with Oven. He was hallucinating cause he was caught offguard by CC's gas.

Personally as a fan of Katakuri I could not give two shits about that cover page scene. Doesn't mean anything.

ZenZu

Ofc u dont give a shit bcs it makes kat look like trash :suresure:
If oda respected kat so much he wouldnt had him in that situation
I legit didn't give a shit when I saw the cover page. Only when I logged on a few days later I saw people talking about it. To my surprise.

I looked at the page for like 1 second and forgot it existed. That's how irrelevant it was.

Gol D. Roger

ȶɦɛ քɨʀǟȶɛ ӄɨռɢ
I took Zoro tagging him with Tatsumaki as pretty decent proof that King can't escape him even in the air.
He can always fly outside Tatsumaki's range.

See this to me is stupid. This is what I would call bad writing if true.

I'm actually ok with King not wanting to win by being defensive and directly being the one to kill Zoro because of ego, but if turning off flames was not a requirement that just ruins the entire thing.

Especially if Zoro was starting to become such a massive threat.

Flame on mode losing its edge once Zoro got advCoC which made King go the route of speed to gain an edge is easier to accept.

Zoro's own words contradict this multiple times though....figuring out the gimmick was just as important as without it he couldn't have won even with advCoC.
These decisions are always stupid either way, but the whole point of the panel of Zoro mocking King in flame-on mode is to boost his ego making him do full retard, the same way that every other villain does. I agree it's stupid, but King isn't different is all I am saying.

It'd look less stupid if he needed to turn it off for the dragon though.