Powers & Abilities Is magma naturally hotter than fire in One Piece is this a result of Sakazuki's development of his devil fruit ?

All of you on this forum must remember Marineford arc and how easely admiral Sakazuki aka Akainu defeated and killed Ace due to his magma being hotter than Ace's fire.
But is it because magma is naturally hotter than fire in One Piece world or do you think that it's rather a result of Akainu having developped and mastered his devil fruit to the point that he's able of making his magma even hotter than normal magma and fire ?

What do you think is the case ?

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Fire is hotter than magma, Oda isnt going to invent new temperatures for fire and magma when his manga has been fairly accurate as far as temperature/climate/weather goes.

Akainu has a DF advantage over Ace because magma “consumes” fire, IE: try to light magma on fire and it won’t do anything, it’ll just fuel the magma.

In other words, mera users will always be at a disadvantage against magma users.

Last edited:
real life logic does not apply here.
Oda set both fruits into a relation. no mention about the user in this.

magma > fire.
whatever ">" means here. hotter? more kinetic force? able to smoother?
not sure we should take Akainus statment at face value here.

Fire is hotter than magma, Oda isnt going to invent new temperatures for fire and magma when his manga has been fairly accurate as far as temperature/climate/weather goes.

Akainu has a DF advantage over Ace because magma “consumes” fire, IE: try to light people on fire and it won’t do anything, it’ll just fuel the magma.

In other words, mera users will always be at a disadvantage against magma users.
Exactly this

People are being mistaken about Why Akainu's fruit > Ace's
It's not hotter, it simply consumes it.
It's different concept than your simple hotter or less hot.

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
I remember, but I could be wrong, that there was a relationship of superiority between some fruits: Akainu and Ace, Aokiji and Monet and even others. Even if at that point haki was not yet a thing.

Actually looking for the magu magu in a wiki it is Akainu that stated his fruit and Ace's are in a relation of superiority when he defeats him.

We even got the raws now, maybe @PuckTheGreat or @EtenBoby can check and tells us what exactly he says

We even got the raws now, maybe @PuckTheGreat or @EtenBoby can check and tells us what exactly he says
Sakazuki: Aren't you being a bit too lax coz you're a logia?
Sakazuki: You're only just fire and I'm magma that (burns fire to nothing/devours fire)
Sakazuki: My ability and yours are downright in a hierarchical relationship/My ability and yours downright share a superior to inferior relationship.

Edited:
*You're only just fire and I'm magma that smolders fire to nothing (might be a more appropriate translation)

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
Basic fire is not as hot as uncooled magma (and I bet 98% Oda didn't check but went by the basic superiority>inferiority idea that a child would have, which is not altogether wrong), and magma has way higher energy levels, as the heat is not just superficial. You would need lots and lots of fire (good fire) to get some magma.

No, Akainu didn't defeat Ace because Magma is hotter than fire. Pretty sure Fire gets hotter than Magma. However, the temperature of Fire or Magma is irrelevant. Fire can't be burnt and Magma can't be burnt.

The reason why Akainu defeated Ace is because:
  • Magma is Thick Liquid - Thick Liquid would put Fire out because it starves it of Oxygen.

Magma is Superior to Fire because the thickness of Magma can put out Fire. If Ace can't become Fire, he returns to his Human form and therefore gets burnt.

Magma is essentially like water to Fire.

The temperatures are very similar, although the superficial part of a flame is not super-hot. And magma has much more energy stored in it (not the same as heat in a single moment). It doesn't ultimately boil down to some accidental physical process like it muffles the fire... Like earth would do even better. But of course it also has more mass and therefore "punch" and pressure. It is actually "stronger", i.e. when fire has expended all it got, magma has still more energy left - because it is molten stone. Magma is "better" than fire in a strength aspect. Ace would have to make a fast, uninterrupted stream of fire to even match the energy, aside from the punch.
And btw., I have just answered because as usual it is only accepted to be slightly or possibly wrong in an "edgy" direction, to say boring old fire is hotter (sometimes). I think it is an unimportant topic. There are enough reasons why things are as they are...

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
I always assumed (based on a complete lack of scientific understanding) that they were closer in temperature than what’s been stated, but Akainu’s magma is thicker and therefore capable of overcoming regular flames by stifling/suffocating Ace’s straight fire and removing his access to oxygen :luuh:

There is no constant temperature for either fire or magma. But there are circumstances in which a fire can be hotter than magma, and magma being hotter than fire.