General & Others Is Oda the best Japanese writer out there?

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
I’m not as well versed in a lot of manga as some others here, and I damn sure am not familiar with most Japanese writers outside of the comic book industry, but even though he’s probably in the top ten, the back half of his story is so disjointed and ridiculous that I don’t think it’s fair to say he’s the greatest ever. The problem with Oda is that he WAS an incredible writer before he started introducing a ton of secondary characters with no evident purpose, manufacturing tension by dragging several arcs out way longer than necessary instead of letting the story itself drive the drama, and cutting corners by removing a lot of what made the first half of OP such an endearing, appealing product in the first place. If we’re going to judge him by his best work, then yeah, he’s one of the GOATs; if we judge him by ALL of his work, he drops more than a few places on that list.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Who said that ? You ? 😂
He is obviously the best mangaka
You're confusing being best with being the greatest and most successful.

Let's use Mike Tyson and Muhammad Ali as an example: there's a difference when saying who's the better fighter or who's the greatest of all time.

Quite the number of mangakas are better than Oda in many categories. Oda's speciality is world building.

I’m not as well versed in a lot of manga as some others here, and I damn sure am not familiar with most Japanese writers outside of the comic book industry, but even though he’s probably in the top ten, the back half of his story is so disjointed and ridiculous that I don’t think it’s fair to say he’s the greatest ever. The problem with Oda is that he WAS an incredible writer before he started introducing a ton of secondary characters with no evident purpose, manufacturing tension by dragging several arcs out way longer than necessary instead of letting the story itself drive the drama, and cutting corners by removing a lot of what made the first half of OP such an endearing, appealing product in the first place. If we’re going to judge him by his best work, then yeah, he’s one of the GOATs; if we judge him by ALL of his work, he drops more than a few places on that list.
Disjointed ? How ?

Right.

I feel bad after watching good devil fruits go to waste. Maybe JJK changed my mind when I saw Mahito evolve and reach his peak. The devil fruits, abilities, and awakening would create more tension than having Red Scabbards' fake deaths and their emotional drama with Kanjuro. Kanjuro's scene had potential to be one of the best Manga betrayals ever and then revenge, but it just turned bland due to Oda's stalling tendencies.

Without even addressing whether this thread is referring to best shonen writer, best manga writer or best overall writer, who here is fluent in Japanese, to begin with, plus has deep knowledge on storytelling, plus knows his stuff in terms of visual design, and so on in order to properly assess how good he's at it?

Well, in terms of personal experience I've seen some Japanese movies (usually the old ones) and I've seen and to an extent studied Japanese/eastern literature. Many things that people give credit to Oda as if he was the one who came up with that, actually were created by other Japanese and some times even western writers. For example characters...

Oda's best character designs are actually straight up copied from other sources, Oda doesn't just take his inspirations from them, he straight up copies them with small changes. And it's not just the digsain, Oda also copies Their personalities. For example the Admirals...

In case of Admirals Oda simply took already designed, written and popular in Japan (well, amongst older generation) characters and put them into his story.

Go watch the original Zatoichi movie and you'll see that Zatoichi is, actually, Fujitora himself. Oda didn't change anything, like literally anything; he simply took already well established existing character from another story and put him into one piece. In the west it would have been highly criticized, but I guess you can do that in Japan, the same goes for Akainu and Kizaru. But it's not just characters that Oda copies, he also copies an entire plot devices...

The entire "celestial dragon stuff" was copied from an old movie. Btw, I'm warning everyone to not watch this movie cuz you'll get a lot of spoilers, and please🙏 don't make theories based on this stuff.

When it comes to history, then in that case Japanese have a rich folklore that is essentially the Wano arc. Wano arc is the result of Japanese 3000 year old history filled with Oda's stupid decisions.

Last edited:
You're confusing being best with being the greatest and most successful.

Let's use Mike Tyson and Muhammad Ali as an example: there's a difference when saying who's the better fighter or who's the greatest of all time.

Quite the number of mangakas are better than Oda in many categories. Oda's speciality is world building.
Wtf ? Oda speciality is everything , worldbuildung , writing , drama , politics ,characters , i doubt there any mangaka better than Oda , and you say many are better than him lol , i dont care for the most successful, being the most successful make people underestimate his writing skills
Post automatically merged:

I described it lower in that post you quoted; I know you’re one of those people who think Oda can do no wrong, so there’s no point in engaging with you much further.
Who said that Oda can do nothing wrong , he is a human as you know , but really or you comments saying disjointed or improvised but you never gave an example

Well, in terms of personal experience I've seen some Japanese movies (usually the old ones) and I've seen and to an extent studied Japanese/eastern literature. Many things that people give credit to Oda as if he was the one who came up with that, actually were created by other Japanese and some times even western writers. For example characters...

Oda's best character designs are actually straight up copied from other sources, Oda doesn't just take his inspirations from them, he straight up copies them with small changes. And it's not just the digsain, Oda also copies Their personalities. For example the Admirals...

In case of Admirals Oda simply took already designed, written and popular in Japan (well, amongst older generation) characters and put them into his story.

Go watch the original Zatoichi movie and you'll see that Zatoichi is, actually, Fujitora himself. Oda didn't change anything, like literally anything; he simply took already well established existing character from another story and put him into one piece. In the west it would have been highly criticized, but I guess you can do that in Japan, the same goes for Akainu and Kizaru. But it's not just characters that Oda copies, he also copies an entire plot devices...

The entire "celestial dragon stuff" was copied from an old movie. Btw, I'm warning everyone to not watch this movie cuz you'll get a lot of spoilers, and please🙏 don't make theories based on this stuff.

When it comes to history, then in that case Japanese have a rich folklore that is essentially the Wano arc. Wano arc is the result of Japanese 3000 year old history filled with Oda's stupid decisions.
Indeed, the more cultivated you are, the more you see how much Oda simply took from somewhere else and put it in his own universe. Which sometimes is interesting as he gives his own twist to it, but others it is pretty much a copy even in the most simple things (I mean, even Pica's gag, as small as it was, wasn't original but taken from Maya the Honey Bee).

Oh this is the most stupid comment i’ve ever read , you idiot who cares for copying people’s faces he said he copied their faces he never denied it , when you are talking about characters you are talking about character building and development not this shit , and for fujitora the film itself is about a real story , a blind swordman , Oda decided to make a blind swordman so he chose this design to reapect him , but really who cares for face designs 😂

Indeed, the more cultivated you are, the more you see how much Oda simply took from somewhere else and put it in his own universe. Which sometimes is interesting as he gives his own twist to it, but others it is pretty much a copy even in the most simple things (I mean, even Pica's gag, as small as it was, wasn't original but taken from Maya the Honey Bee).
Do you really think that pica’s gag is the thing that made oda a great writer ?

And considering that watching maya the honey bee is cultivation , you are really in danger

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
That's the sad thing about the entertainment industry nowadays. So many care about being original when there's no such thing anymore. You just gotta capitalize on what's not being done enough at the time.

Attack on Titan for example isn't unique nor original, but many praised it as such cause it came out in 2013 when harems, comedy and happy shounen were running amok and zombie films were at its peak.

There's nothing wrong in taking inspirations from other stories, we all take inspirations from cultural phenomenon, every writer does. But in case of Oda, he just copies already existing characters and plot devices from other sources, and to suggest that Oda is the best Japanese writer...
:mihugh:
Dude, the ego behind that statement.

Wait wait , the most important character in HxH ( meruem ) is copied from cell db but still one one of the best villains ever , just like dofflamingo , so really you are saying rubbish

That's the sad thing about the entertainment industry nowadays. So many care about being original when there's no such thing anymore. You just gotta capitalize on what's not being done enough at the time.

Attack on Titan for example isn't unique nor original, but many praised it as such cause it came out in 2013 when harems, comedy and happy shounen were running amok and zombie films were at its peak.
I'm sorry, but I'm one of those who don't buy the whole "everything is done already" idea just because of how paradoxical it is. Anyways, I am not really treating Oda as a fraud or something like that because he took tons of inspiration for many things from Terry Gilliam's filmography, for example, since it's interesting to see how he works with that inspiration; what I'm addressing is, following your initial idea, that usually he's more of a conscious mixer than a creator (which on the other hand is understandable because he still is a mainstream author so he's restricted by it and can't write in a too avant-grade way without affecting his product and public).